Is this the greatest animated movie of all time?

Is this the greatest animated movie of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

hcgart.com/products/princess-mononoke-by-marko-manev
youtube.com/watch?v=JJhTZeAs8NI
youtube.com/watch?v=CFGBFq2vMLI
youtube.com/watch?v=5thkLwLNAnY
youtube.com/watch?v=43_G7ud-pXM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No.

Fucker, beat me to it.

I'd say they're tied really.

>what is Perfect Blue
"no"
but close

Sure if you're videogame playing pleb

No, it's pretty mediocre. I guess it's okay if you A) Don't like animation and B) have never seen anything scifi but if you have even a cursory understanding of either things you'll understand how and why it's not good.

I liked Mononoke more, but this is a beautiful film.

I'll check it out next!

Please, that isn't even the best Miyazaki movie.

Is Perfect Blue as good as people claim? That's the one about a an obsessive stalker right?

Nice! Thanks for the recommendations. That Alice movie is unnerving as fuck btw.

This guy just sound bitter :/

it's pretty good for the direction and the editing alone

Complete and utter videogame dogshit?

>went to see it in theaters for the anniversary event.
>The Deer god scenes.
>That complete silence.
Kino.

I don't think so, but it would be obnoxious to say nobody else gets to.

Haven't seen it, but it think the general consensus for best animated film is something like Spirited Away vs. Pinocchio vs. The Iron Giant. I think most people would rank Akira ahead as well

That'd be sweet to see in theaters!

hcgart.com/products/princess-mononoke-by-marko-manev

Also I figure you guys might appreciate this.

Good picks. Huge fan of all those.

I used to see Ghost in the Shell at Blockbuster all the time but panned over it. Ten years later I can't believe I missed it.

No. Pic related is.

GitS is so fucking garbage that ScarJo's version might be better.

yea, just step the fuck aside

Iron Giant is fantastic. Definitely one of my personal favorites.

Wikipedia states it's been considered one of the greatest anime films of all time.

I went to a screening of Perfect Blue last month, I really loved Paprika so I had high expectations. It didn't meet them, the story is alright but nothing special. Kind of reminded me a bit of David Lynch, but the pacing was pretty rought.

The real problem was the visuals, they were most certainly disappointing. With almost no change whatsoever it could have been a live action movie, what the fuck is the point of having it be animated then?

>Wikipedia states it's been considered one of the greatest anime films of all time.

I don't disagree with the actual result, but

>using wikipedia as a source

Nah, that'd be Sawsage Partea.

I'm not joking
This movie is GOAT

It is truly a masterpiece. I fucking cried like a bitch when I saw it for the first time.
Then I showed it to my parents. My mom cried and my dad was so riled up, he had teary eyes. You must know he is one of those hardened manly men who rarely talks and says what is on his mind, but rather acts and gets things done. He wanted to talk to me about the movie the next day, this has never happened with him as long as I am alive.
That film is special.

TV series > Flick

Lucky mother fucker.

GodDAMN that's such a stupid opinion to hold. I say this as someone currently rewatching SAC Season 1 after some amount of years.

cmon guys..

Come on, plebs

No it's fucking boring

To truly appreciate this you have had to be depressed at some point in your life.

no. stop listening to tasteless Sup Forumsedditors

how does bait this obscure even exist?

loved the start of akira, but a lot of anime suffer that too deep for you problem.
Its like every anime needs to end with the whole universe being on the line. Or the entire universe is shattered or reforged, or everything in the universe becomes one.
Still though the motorcycle scenes were god tier and so were the hallucinations. Even so, the reason above and the down syndrome faces brought it down to a 6/10 in my opinion. Love to change my mind if someone can convince me otherwise.

to add to this it just bothers me that when the entire movie occurs on(with the exception of the satellite scene) earth. The universe is fucking huge, and the rest of the movie had nothing to do with it.

Mononoke

Iron Giant actually gets recognition?

I love this movie tb h fäm but didn't know other people still did as well

>weebshit
>best anything
Laughable.

I hope you're memeing about wanting to change your mind..

I hate people on Sup Forums who literally let Sup Forums tell them how they feel about a movie or tv series.

i bet there are people on here who have genuinely liked or disliked something and now say they like it because Sup Forums said the opposite of their opinion

t. Paramount pictures

b-b-b-but

>He's not familiar with the works of Billy Wilder, multiple academy awards winning writer.

youtube.com/watch?v=JJhTZeAs8NI

Fuck yes, I love this film. It's not just the emotional journey of one character, it's the whole of humanity. Not very well known though.

No, Akira exists so it will always be #2.

>down syndrome faces
Whut

song of the sea sucks ass. That song gets so annoying after 5 mins.

Woah..

did you read my fucking post, i gave the movie a review I want to talk about it. That means convincing me. I literally gave it a score.
a 6/10 for me right now, I know tv likes it and I am wondering why (usually people like anime for very little reasons) , stop shitposting for two minutes. Most likely Sup Forums won't change my mind but if I missed something I want to know what it was.
Also I will like a movie even if Sup Forums likes or dislikes it. For example I got ghost in the shell from here, and I really liked that movie.

Hollywood truly revolutionary...

What movies are they? GitS and?

(tie)
GitS
Perfect Blue (personal fav)
The Land Before Time
Spirited Away
The Fox & the Hound

wew

Also
>matrix
come back when its actual cinema and not popcorn flicks for videogame players.

Top left is: La Pointe Courte by Agnes Varda
Bottom left is: Dead Ringers by David Cronenberg

That sounds like a personal problem.

>Its like every anime needs to end with the whole universe being on the line

Why is that the only thing you took from the film? What about the themes of globalism, lack of identity in an ever evolving technological world?

Talk about wasted potential due to a subpar script... Recently watched this, was absolutely blown away by the sheer ambition and effort that went into designing every single aspect of the world. Definitely ranks among the very top of the most beautifully produced animated films of all time, but it just has trouble staying together as a movie.

>popcorn flick for videogame players again

See :^)

>a quote unquote "deep movie for teens" and not cinema again
Hmm

It's pretty stupid to waste time discerning whether or not GiTS is or isn't the greatest film ever made instead of actually discussing its subject matter.

its good but its not the best

Someone explain to me why she forgave the guy who almost raped her so quickly

0/10. Didn't even try to be subtle.

>no Animerama entry
>Heavy Traffic of all of Ralph Bakshi's work
pleb

That would be Akira my man
You can argue Pinnochio. Ghost in the Shell wasn't pure hand drawn animation, at the time they incorporated alot of cutting edge computer effects. The story wasn't that great either

You have to go back.

What wasn't great about GiTS' story but was great about AKIRA's?

Bad writing and insufficient character development

He must be baiting or something, Akira was only ever really lauded for its cutting edge visuals and not its truncated adapted plot

Who based /Lupin/ here

.. no, I'm not wasting my time on a pleb.
Dont bother me

>in 2017 there are still plebs who don't get this scene
She forgave him because thought it was largely her fault. All along she knew what Lhadatt wanted but only used him for emotional support while shoving her faith down his throat while acting haughty about his understandable frustration. And then once it's implied that she's a whore everything comes to a head and he stops giving a fuck. She treated him poorly and she knows it.

>all this pleb shit
Should have started with eastern europe animation image OP

If you think that was bad writing of female characters, I have something for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=CFGBFq2vMLI

A grade eye and ear candy, the most hamfisted rape scene I know, not visual, just hamfisted.

What wasn't great about GiTS' story but was great about AKIRA's?

i hope Kanye reach to Akira level, album-wise And he's music videos are mad, most likely got it from analysing Akira's cinematography

not best, but it could improved immensely with a better dub and soundtrack.

>Macross Plus
I had no idea what the fuck was going on but it looked great and felt like a proper continuation of the original series' idol retardation.

Dub I can understand not everyone being fond of even though I liked it but the soundtrack is great.

Ah, thanks. I sort of suspected that spoiler but there really wasn't enough to go on in any way honestly, in my opinion the movie is just spread so thin over so many concepts and characters it really takes away from the strength of the main message.
Oh jesus now I'm remembering the music. You can call me a plebian but I would definitely take something simple like this youtube.com/watch?v=5thkLwLNAnY over the "unique" sounds of the Honneamise soundtrack

>i hope Kanye reach to Akira level
He's already overrated mediocrity.

>adventures of prince achmed

pseud detected

That is where the 6/10 comes from. When they brought in the whole universe its like they intentionally overshadowed all of the other great themes.
It is a personal problem. I guess it shouldn't bother me when animated movies go to the extremes. But it just seems to ruin the scale of everything when they say universe as if all that term encompasses was witnessed in the movie.
The themes of globalism I really liked, probably my second favorite behind the ghetto environment.

I can understand people finding Royal Space Force frustrating and weird since it's such a vague and undercooked story but for preferring generic smooth jazz over Ryuchi Sakamoto you must delet yourself.

Not even close.

Fucking pleb
>likely got it from analysing Akira's cinematography
Can't stop laughing

I felt like this movie would have been stronger if it ended at at least 10 different points before the one they landed on.

>this fucking image
Enough. Fucking enough. I want the names of every single one of those motherfucking films right now.

>Miyazaki
Hopefully no one. Hes a no talent thief and a hack.

It's a major guilty pleasure. I actually have outstanding taste in music, but now I just have egg on my face.
Didn't know the OST was Sakamoto, I have some of his albums actually

This is just a example of why the faces looked weird. The face is very small, and looks extremely strange in motion. Not only that but many of the faces in the movie are dead center on the skull. Not to bad once you get over it but it still looks wierd at many points.

I wouldn't say there's anything mediocre about it. Some of the best animation around, which is primarily what it is lauded for.

>When they brought in the whole universe its like they intentionally overshadowed all of the other great themes.

I wouldn't say so. In the film (and manga), Japan's rush to put the post-war period behind them and get ready for the Olympics causes them to neglect the AKIRA project:

>But I've always thought you held resentment, even a hatred for this city, colonel.
>The passion to build is cool, and the joy of reconstruction, forgotten. Now, now it's just a garbage heap made up of a bunch of hedonistic fools.

That is to say: Globalism, a lack of caring about the fundamentals, caused Japan's government to allow the film's events to transpire as they do. The teens are out of place in the Neo-Tokyo the film presents, going to the decadent school and escaping the doldrums of life by being in a bike gang. Tetsuo, when given ultimate power, still struggles with finding identity. He comes to peace when he creates his own universe, somewhere he belongs absolutely.

>I actually have outstanding taste in music
Post your 15 favourite albums in order to redeem yourself.

wtf I hate Miyazaki now

His first feature length film, back when they have him doing all the animation by himself and paid him in plain rice.

youtube.com/watch?v=43_G7ud-pXM