'bout to watch this flick for the first time

'bout to watch this flick for the first time

i haven't read anything about the plot yet

What am I in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AXynF2RQJPs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For the best viewing experience, you should go in expecting expository explanations for everything that happens in the film.

Possibly the best movie ever made.

One of the most perfectly made films of all time

2001:A Space Odyssey is quite simply the worst thing to happen to cinema ever. Its forced profundity has caused millions of people all over the world to force themselves to like what is quite simply nothing more than an exercise in style.

Kubrick has no idea what he is doing here. His film jumps around with little to no sense of unity. The great film makers of the world create a series of events that contain clarity of information, something Kubrick couldn't bet his life on.

What is the purpose of what is going on here? Is there any coherent message? I have heard suggestions that it is Kubrick's message about the future of humanity, but what future is that? Does Kubrick even know?

This is Transformers for the pretend art house crowd. Pure style over substance. Nobody actually likes this film, they just like to be seen liking it.

ITS BORING AS FUCK

nothing happening
monkeys
nothing happening
nothing happening
nothing happening
dave bowman
nothing happening
hal 9000
stargate
space baby

Something like that.

watch it in a dark room with a big TV dont you fucking dare watch this shit on your phone you faggot.

As for what you're in for pure concentrated kino guided by one of the most masterful auteurs in cinema.

Just take acid.

Or smoke a lot of weed.

There will be parts of it that will make you frustrated. But that's OK. Think of this movie as a puzzle. See if you can figure out what Kubrick is trying to say.

That's not Michael J. Fox.

A movie that received very polarising review upon release because It's a boring pretentious wankfest and the only reason It's regarded as highly as It is, is because years after It's release film schools and film critics started to shill hard for it.

>i haven't read anything about the plot yet

There isn't any.

This.

You're thinking of Solaris dumbass.

a nap

Expect beautiful visuals with sub-par to average everything else. Oh and you can just turn it off during the final sequence, I have no idea why Kubrick put a fucking 20 minute screen saver in his movie. It's an okay movie but expect people to shit on you if you break the circle jerk. They'll just write you off and assume you don't "get it"

watch it alone in the dark like every other aspie on this board including me anyways, easily one of the most influential films ever made, and the visuals make up for it's lack of substance everywhere else that handheld shot revealing the monolith makes me wet

What is this "everything else" that is subpar and average?
>They'll just write you off and assume you don't "get it"
Did you get it?

kubrick did more with THAT jump cut, then any other artist did in the 20th century.

i

>kubrick
>lack of substance
Is your name Tarkovsky?

>What am I in for?
an audio visual experience with some interesting themes. so, a movie. but with no plot.

The beginning scene is great, and actually does captivate for the full 20 minutes, but honestly there are a lot of parts where it feels like its just kinda boring. I actually really like this movie, but everything after the first 20 minutes or so, that doesn't involve HAL is eh. The entire sequence of the guy heading to the moon is actually very boring up until he's actually there, and moves into the handheld shot of the monolith.

And yes, I am mildly autistic

man discovers a 4 million year old structure buried under the surface of the moon. perfect angles and a disturbingly flawless complexion. imagine for a minute that this event actually occurred in reality and you were sitting in front of your tv when a breaking news bulletin interrupts your program. imagine the weight of the emotions you feel. there is no rational explanation for how this structure could even exist. its impossible! this cant be! everything that has ever happened on earth, not to mention your own life rapidly collapses into meaninglessness. you question your own sanity, you try to wake up but you arent dreaming. it is literally the most significant and simultaneously the most horrifying, reality-shattering event in the history of the world, period. im glad kubrick had the nuts to use this music without permission. i doubt there is another composition out there that can accurately capture the gravity of such a massive event. to me it sounds like a descent into madness -- a total breakdown of reality, a sudden failure of communication between the brain, the senses and all logic

>Sup Forums meta intelligence
>only smart people like this, and I'm even smarter than them, so I hate it
>now they all know how smart I am

This movie can change your view of humanity
watch it alone with an open mind

>tfw when you got to see it at a special viewing in a theater
it was at a fine arts museum and there were very few people there

The plot + dialogue
Explain to me how having a fucking 20 min screensaver at the end of a movie contributed to it in any way

showing this man growing old and dying emphasizes his ultimate rebirth
I'm genuinely sorry you can't appreciate it
that reveal has me in tears every time

A good nap

161 minutes of pure, unadulterated kino. This is possibly the best piece of art conceived by the human mind, rivaling the works of Michelangelo, Shakspeare etc.

this

Kek holy shit he complains about the plot and dialogue of a movie like 2001.
Way to out yourself as a fucking pleb.
It's boring in the sense that it's just people sitting around talking or giving a speech. And we're not exactly sure what it is they're talking about as it's all very vague. That's all part of the puzzle. This whole movie is a puzzle that Kubrick wants us to solve.

Watch this video:
youtu.be/AXynF2RQJPs

At 9:15 he starts talking about this part of the movie.

This x1000.

Book is pretty kino though.

This

Nice scenery especially considering the movies came out in 68 but nothing more.

or it doesnt cater to the lowest common denominator and you're a pleb

What people don't understand is that Kubrick is 100% a visual thinker and director. His films only appeal to people that have the same type of brain. If you don't, you'll find most of his movies utterly boring and devoid of emotion.

Kubrick purposely made the movie as vague and meaningless as possible. The book proves this.

I think you mean autism

Basically. I was just trying to be nice about it.

This movie is boring. Its typical stanely kubrik, overly pretentious and mildly retarded.

This post proves you are a moron. The book doesn't prove anything. Kubrick hired Clarke to write the novel based on scraps and tidbits from the movie that Kubrick threw his way.
>meaningless
"no"

They were written simultaneously and they discussed it.

The movie and the book both have the same symbolism, themes, and plot. However without the book, deciphering most of the movie is impossible. Also Kubrick is a fool for not using the book's goat ending line.

There's nothing to be discussed with a moron. I'm sure you also think 2001 the movie is about fucking aliens kek.

whatever makes you feel better brah

If you're actually interested in something, why not actually watch it, then give us your thoughts.

>"Hurrr here's a movie I didn't watch and might not actually be into, tell me what happens derp derp"

I watched it and it bored me

There's no desire to impress other people on this sinhalese elephant-riding board I just didn't like the film

You need to have read the book or the end won't make any sense.

I haven't read the book. Explain it to me please.

was thinkin same thing

>2001 is pretentious
you have to be highschooler in a flyover state to think 2001 or kubrick in general is pretentious

You gotta love modern times. Millennial shits can't just watch a fucking movie without first going online and telling people they're going to watch it, then afterward going online and telling them that it was boring.
>NO ONE CARES FAGGET

>What am I in for?
"Pseudo-intellectual Masturbation: The Movie"

Should I read the books?

Heard polarizing stuff about it. Read 2001 and found that pretty good. Does it get more fucked up the more books?

I agree, I love Kubrick and I can admit his movies are very accessible and entertaining to a general audience. 2001 being probably his least accessible movie.

The ending of 2001 makes perfect sense. An advanced race of aliens uplifts humanity to a higher stage of evolution / being. Bowman becomes something just short of a God.

What doesn't make sense?

10 bucks says op was playing with his phone the whole time it was on

I didn't say it didn't make sense, I was just asking if I should read the rest of the series of books.

I also watched the beginning to 2010. Didn't seem as good.

Isn't A Clockwork Orange less accesible.

I don't think so, A Clockwork Orange is all one narrative. 2001 has the Dawn of Man scene and the acid-trip lightshow sequence. Kubrick himself describes 2001 as a nonverbal experience. It's very artsy / avant garde / unaccessible for your typical normie fucker, imo.

Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange are probably the two movies I'd show to a pleb to introduce them to Kubrick, i.e. the most accessible to me.

true viewing experience requires at least 1 tab of acid

No shit, he started as a photographer and they are 100% style over substance guys no matter how they want to sell their pics as full of "hidden meaning". He's films are just the continuation of his photographing career.

Yes i agree. Closed minded normies will get bored watching 2001. Sad tho because its a great movie.

This, or a few bong hits. Or both.

Kek explain how it's style over substance faggot.

I'm the kind of person who can enjoy a 3+ hour movie throughout, even slow-paced movies providing they have a good atmosphere to it, but 2001 is way too fucking slow even for that. Scenes will go on for 10+ minutes where literally nothing happens, and I mean literally nothing. No emotional context, no symbolism, just people moving at a snails pace without conveying any expression.

That said, HAL is brilliant and makes up for that 10-fold.

So does this count as an official diagnoses?

My brother rented it for me when I was a teen on VHS in about '99 or '00 I forget, about that time. In that context, I didn't find it pretentious in the slightest, just a surreal rollercoaster ride.

Enjoyed the fuck out of it.