Stargate Thread

Unscheduled Offworld Activation!

>were gonna need a bigger stargate

jesus christ lmao

Such a comfy show.

So why didn't the "unstable vortex" of an opening stargate destroy the iris?

It destroys everything else.

The official explanation is that "if the event horizon is blocked to within a few microns, the vortex will be suppressed."

This works because they make a distinction between the vortex and the event horizon. The event horizon is the near end of the wormhole; the vortex is the momentary eruption of destructive energy which heralds the creation of the wormhole. When a solid object is extremely close to the event horizon when the wormhole forms, the associated energy burst is suppressed.

Once the wormhole is established, the iris has the same effect on any matter coming through; it disrupts whatever comes out of the event horizon, preventing matter from forming just the same way it suppressed the vortex.

i always see this, eventhough they're barely resemble themselfs

>mfw watching SGU
>mfw this is actually pretty decent
>mfw a shitty earth drama centered episode comes up
>mfw able to ignore and get over it most of the time
>mfw s2 and get to the episode where the alien infects Scott and gives him the retarded smallville-tier hallucinations
>mfw it's so fucking bad it broke the habit I had of watching 1-2 episodes a night for a week
>mfw haven't finished s2 sense
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

>>mfw watching SGU
Is where you went wrong. Just pretend the universe of Stargate ends with SG-1 or parts of Atlantis, if you liked it.

>mfw sexy Rhona Mitra shows up just in time for series cancelation.

SGU > Atlantis
Atlantis was just so bad. At least SGU was ripping off the formula of Battlestar galactica. Atlantis was just an inbred product of all the worst of sg1 and was a useless redundant series.

I've realized while watching it that someone could easily edit the series to remove almost all the shitty drama or tone it down, including entirely removing the communication stones, and it'd significantly improve the series while keeping the greater plot almost entirely unaffected. I'm almost positive that most of the drama was added to the script after it was written; it's the only way to explain the extreme differences in quality and how irrelevant the drama is to the plot
>tfw it could've gotten really good with the third season if only it was given a chance

first seasons were good, same villages ppl speak english on other planets ... etc then became total shit when oneal stopped going out on missions

One of the best things about Stargate was how they did their best to keep track of their continuity. So many interesting callbacks and story continuances. 2001 and 2010 are in my top 10 eps.

still unbelievable even that 'retcon' or whatever, with those communication stones. He picked it up in the 2nd (?) season in just a random scene, yet they wrote an episode on it in (that barber episode in season 7 or 8), which also setted the SGU.

>Forced to be fit for job
>Have job for decade
>Earn tons of money
>Job over, relax, get fat, enjoy life.

Walter, call page 1!

Its like people expect him not to age and be as fit as he was in his 20s/30s or something.

JUST