Will Star Wars ever top this duel?

Will Star Wars ever top this duel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Li0vFxbo3sY#t=2m55s
slashfilm.com/kylo-ren-is-not-a-sith-in-the-force-awakens/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No.

Nope. Why do people even ask this?

Kylo vs Rey did, it's extremely powerful and emotional. How do people not see this?

Yes. It was topped in Episode 3.

Episode I (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul)
Episode III (Obi-Wan vs. Anakin Skywalker)

So Sup Forums Do i watch Rogue one tonight or some of this korean cinemas The Host
The Unjust
Going by the Book
Friend
Bleak Night
The Man from Nowhere
Breathless
The Yellow Sea
Nameless Gangster
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
Mother

Almost, but I feel as if there is more emotion behind Vader and Luke's duel and that there are more stakes.

Dunno about those other movies, but how can you not watch Rogue One? Last year nearly every movie that came out was shit. It's hard to name any of them better than Rogue One.

It's fun to watch because Luke is such a jobber. You know Vader could end the fight any second but just plays with him sadistically like a cat would a little mouse.

Just replying to +1 The Man From Nowhere

Do not pass up this primo Korean Kino (K-Kino)

You have autism

There's no way posts like this are sincere right? They can't be.

i will eventually watch every movie from the list but just wonder is rogue one worth i didnt really like that much the last star wars movie

wow, you don't like the prequels, what a staggeringly original opinion

Honestly no. The fight at the end of ROTJ is the only one that even remotely comes close. The part where Luke snaps and starts wailing on Vader as the music swells is especially powerful

They are both good, but I prefer Empire. The lighting, the score, the lines. It's all in Empire. However, Luke at the pit of carkoon is probably my favorite Jedi scene even though it's not a lightsaber vs lightsaber duel.

I prefer the fight at the end of ROTJ, it builds on the end of this fight where Luke gets his hand when he sees that Vaders arm is machine just like his.

This.

RotJ fight is better, but they're both awesome.

Same.

The empire strikes back duel was the only one where Vader was legitimately terrifying. Especially when Luke lands that glancing blow on his armor and he goes rage mode and ends up taking his arm off

This.
Ah, the classic "if a statement is bold yet controversial, then it's bait" post. Ironically it's people like you who belong back in reddit.

You have autism

>yfw they already did

it was topped 3 years later, and then again 22 years after that

darth maul fight was obviously better

>ITT a bunch of millennials try to hate on Empire, the best star wars film to date by saying ROTJ is better

I think Empire is a better film but as a Star Wars fan I like Jedi more. There's more emotional value for me with the whole Luke/Vader confrontation at the end

>Kylo vs Rey did
Not really. There isn't much of an emotional hinge to the duel because Rey barely knew Han and has little connection to any of the soap opera she got willed into.

Even before the paternity reveal Vader represented a potential path for Luke. In terms of composure, too, there is an interesting contrast. Vader is cool and always calm. Luke only ended up in that fight because of the impulsiveness he demonstrated for the entirety of the movie. And this contrast is even apparent in how one-sided the fight itself is -- along with the result. The Rey/Kylo duel is pretty visceral and exciting, but in terms of narrative it's not that interesting. And I haven't even touched on music or set design.

No.
Star Wars' all time peak is "The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet".

totally this.
that side tracking shot when they are battling. the music, the set bathed in blue light and the raw emotions are pure kino.
bravo lucas

I think the entire sequence with The Emperor, Vadar, and Luke in the Death Star is the best Star Wars has ever been.

I don't think it's as good as Empire's duel and it's weakened by cutting to stupid endor and stupid death star 2.0

I agree with the cutting to endor part completely. Still like the Death Star scenes themselves though.

Agreed. I like all the movies in star wars to some extent but that sequence is the absolute best the series has to offer.

You were entertained by 30 minutes of nonstop swirling light.

I'm not certain that's a sign of being on the spectrum, but it doesn't look good for you.

Death Star 2 as a concept is stupid but the execution is so good. It's the best space battle in the whole series

A New Hope is the only part of the main series that stands by itself. Empire might be the "cooler" choice, but it needs the viewer to have prior knowledge of what's going on to get the full impact.

>Reddit arguments

No shit. Same with all star wars movies and most sequel movies for that matter. However, even in Empire you have everything you need as a standalone film. If you notice, Empire re-establishes things you learned from the first film.

The only thing you need to know to get the full picture is who is Ben, you don't even need to learn Luke's backstory, the story Ben tells him because ESB establishes Vader as a vilain so well

Couldn't have said it better.

It's just insane how much time and effort went into the effects, particularly the space battle. Totally shows though, they weren't bested for 10 years at least.

RoTJ also has the best duel imo. It has the most emotion of any fight in the series.

>mfw people say The Phantom Menace had the best duel in the series

>all those underages thinking prequels had better duels

My nigga.

If you think it's a new and contrary opinion to enjoy the final duel in RoTJ as the best part of the trilogy, you may want to kill yourself.

It was topped in Return of the Jedi.

No. This is swashbuckling realism that now would be choregraphed into oblivion. It would be fetish superduper ninja nonsense. Sometimes less is more.

>being this much of a butthurt neckbeard who thinks that since Empire was better than Jedi that the duel in Jedi wasn't better
C'mon son.

>I don't think it's as good as Empire's duel and it's weakened by cutting to stupid endor and stupid death star 2.0

Endor could have been made dramatic by replacing Ewoks with Wookies.

All you need to do is figure out just how much of their budget you need to slash in order for them not to afford being able to blow too much on the duel, but not enough for them to cut it short

I agree but I liked the set design work in the Rey v Kylo fight. It was enough practical and enough CGI and green screen to be enjoyable.

However, as most posters have already pointed it, it didn't have enough emotion to even come close the ESB fight and doesn't hold a candle to RotJ...but perhaps that's the point. The saber fights in ANH were quick and fleeting, and overall pretty unremarkable.

Could it be pottery?

It's almost like most sequels are bad for exactly that reason, you fucking contrarian little shit. Empire ends on a drawn-out cliffhanger. It can't stand alone as a single film for that alone.

The main thing that really stood out for that fight fight was the setting.
Dark snowy woods is the best setting there has been for a duel with main source of light being their sabers and the snow melting as it gets close to them.

It's not really drawn-out, that whole verbal exchange is like 90 seconds.

Keep on hating Empire, stupid millennial. It's still the best.

I don't think the ending is all that dissatisfying, though I can see why people would have maybe felt that it was at the time.

I think thematically it's a pretty complete movie. The characters are left beaten but still with hope, and the last scene conveys that well. The only major loose end (and it is major, to be fair) is Han.

>Luke literally FIGHTING his Father out of the darkness and into the light from under those skywalks with that music playing

youtube.com/watch?v=Li0vFxbo3sY#t=2m55s

The battle above Endor still holds up so well. The music, the effects, shit even the acting. Billy Dee just looks like he's having so much fun as Lando. It was the perfect ending to the series

wow that picture is shit
and maybe, but nothing in the franchise so far has

yeah man!
remember when they went to the rebel base?
and when darth vader took out his lightsaber!
best movie of the year by far!

Of course it was, it was the culmination of what the morality in Star Wars is about, black/white and good/evil.

It was never a spastic battle for survival with lightsabers, it was a battle of ones own moral compass and will.

lucas was not involved, that's why it's so good

>yfw you realize luke has the high ground almost the entire fight.

>darth maul tries to do the head-hit thing with the middle of his twin lightsabers like he did to qui-gon

Nice touch.

>Skywalker
>Jumps onto skywalk
Pottery

lucas personally directed those scenes (luke, vader and emperor) as well as overseeing the sfx, desu.

this. to see a white girl overpowering a white man because of her black lover is really empowering.

gives me nice goosebumps

Personally I think the final confrontation between Luke and Vader in RotJ was the best. The score makes it.

That was Lucas' original plan, but the big wigs said wookie toys wouldnt sell well amongst the younger viewers so he had to substitute them with something more 'child friendly' a la Ewoks.

>ostensibly a capital ship battle for the first time in star wars
>they don't actually engage each other
>they're just background dressing for the fighters

KINO

eh the Jedi duel is brought down by the first half but once Vader is looking for Luke in the dark and taunts him about Leia and Luke goes apeshit on him, absolute kino

I realized the last time I watched Jedi how much Han and Leia having nothing to do brought down the movie. The space battle is still great and Luke vs Vader/Emperor is absolute kino

>those faint piano notes of the Imperial March that plays when Anakin dies
>viking funeral in the Vader costume

also does anyone prefer Yub Nub to Victory Celebration for reasons other than nostalgia? Victory Celebration is such a great song and fitting for the end of the trilogy, Yub Nub just sounds like something from a kids show. And this is coming from someone who hates literally every other change Lucas made in the re-releases.

>Sequel is bad automatically because it's not an original film

fucking WHat

I think the Empire duel was better shot ("But you are not a jedi yet" might be one of the best single shots in the trilogy), but in terms of the duel itself Jedi was better. In Empire Vader was just fucking with Luke, in Jedi they were actually fighting.

does Luke yell "DARTH!" before wailing on him or "NEVER"? The screenplay I have says it's "NEVER" but I hear "DARTH"

Empire as a whole is incredible cinematography wise. I watched the three films back to back recently and there's such a jump in quality between ANH and ESB it's almost shocking. A lot of it can be attributed to a bigger budget but Lucas literally had his film school professor direct it for him because he knew he wasn't good enough. Then he got mad when Kurtz/Kasdan/Kershner cucked him to the side and made the best film in the series so he got rid of everyone except Kasdan and was more involved in Return of the Jedi, which is definitely a downgrade from Empire outside of the special effects shots.

i remember it as ''never''

>Viking funeral
>no boat
GTFO

>calling something reddit
>I'm mad that not everyone has autism like me

kys

ROTJ is a fantastic segment because of all the emotional turmoil and the brilliant dialogue but it really isn't that good of a duel compared to ESB. Half of it is the three men talking and Vader/Luke afraid to attack the other. I really hope Luke improved his swordplay because his form was awful in Jedi, just swinging around crazily.

>"Hey George, I heard you're going back to the three Star Wars films to clean up the special effects for the re-release, do you want me to start with Luke turning on the lightsaber for the first time in A New Hope? The cut is a little wonky"
>"hm, nah. I have some ideas for Mos Eisley"
>"you want us to clean up the bottom of Luke's speeder?"
>"nah I was thinking instead we could have a bunch of CGI things walk in front of the screen"

>20 years later and the fucking lightsaber turning on still looks like shit, but at least Ewoks blink now

Vader is awesome in both duels he's what makes them both. Luke is just his scrub that pulls him back to the light

I was about to respond by asking if there are even boats in the Star Wars universe, but then I remembered the canoe thing in Attack of the Clones

why would they need a canoe in a universe with spaceships and speeder bikes

did they have it just in case of a forbidden romance

>kys
>>>/reddit/

It's probably a novelty thing on Naboo. Fucking Qui Gon rented a space submarine that took him through the entire planet...which apparently has an H20 core fuck you Lucas

>"there's always a bigger fish"

I just don't understand why Lucas put that line in the movie. It's not sarcastic, it's almost like Lucas was trying to write a quip, but he didn't tell Liam Neeson to deliver it like that.

fucking hell how do people think the prequels are good

>some girl sees Han Solo getting killed
>suddenly gains dueling and force powers out of nowhere and beats a trained sith duelist without any real training
wow so powerful :,(

I get your point, but you've seriously triggered my autism
slashfilm.com/kylo-ren-is-not-a-sith-in-the-force-awakens/

>remember when
No, not really

>a trained sith duelist

I see you weren't paying attention.

For all intents and purposes Snoke and Kylo might as well be Sith, which is both an amusing example of TFA's chronic redundancy and also makes the Chosen One plot introduced in the prequels even more stupid and pointless.

>However, as most posters have already pointed it, it didn't have enough emotion to even come close the ESB fight and doesn't hold a candle to RotJ...but perhaps that's the point. The saber fights in ANH were quick and fleeting, and overall pretty unremarkable.
>Could it be pottery?

Pretty much this.

You mean kino hills?

The slower fights are the best for some reason, maybe it photographs better?

Rey will probably screw up at least once during her fights.

What big wigs, Lucas WAS the big wig. It was his decision to make ewoks to sell cute toys, he also didn't kill off Han because "you can't sell dead Han toys"

No but Anakin vs Obi Wan in Episode III comes close. Those are the top two Star Wars duels by miles though.

You mean this one?

There's emotion behind them. All the PT fights look overly choreographed.