Departure theories?

So where/why did everyone disappear?

Was it a scientific anomaly or is God/Satan trying to teach people a lesson?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rLSH-81yT7s&t=13s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>So where/why did everyone disappear?

Doesn't matter.

>Was it a scientific anomaly or is God/Satan trying to teach people a lesson?

Who cares?

Listen, I know its not supposed to matter but I dont give a fuck.

Without the departure gimmick this show wouldnt work. It does matter and I care so fuck off namefag

what the fuck is your problem? why did u even reply rofl

OP I think its a really interesting question, been thinking about it alot, from what the trailer for season 3 shows it seems to be god or satan doing some shit

The writers watched an Antonioni film and thought "WOW SO DEEP LETS DO THAT" without actually understanding it.

People dissappearing was a glitch. The show is about figuring out we're living in the computer simulation. The episode called (I think) 'International Assassin' was Kevin going thorugh in to another (older version) simulation. But ofcourse it all reflects our religion and ideas about apocalypse. I kinda hope season 3 will end up that way - apocalypse (since the departure was basically Rapture).

I doubt this is the case since its too obvious. If they are already calling Kevin Jesus in the season 3 trailer then its probably not true

Is this show for nu-males?

That user is either trolling or is a girl. This show is written by girls for girls. Chick shows are all about relationship drama like "omg did you see how she reacted when she found out he cheated on her?" which they call "character development" to make it sound less girly. They've been turning sci-fi into chick shows because girls are big percentage of viewers and they want ratings.

The writer is lindlejew. the same guy that botched Prometheus, wrote a terrible ending for Lost and asspulled his way into a career.

He doesn't write cohesively, he writes nonsensically, except not in a lewis carroll way more so in a lolsorandom way.

You're never getting an answer because he was scared of what happened with Lost.

So pointless exercise.

You already know there will be zero explanation

In chick shows like daytime soaps and this show science and logic are not important. What's important is what did she say and HOW did she say it and what was she wearing when she said it.

youtube.com/watch?v=rLSH-81yT7s&t=13s

Season 2's intro literally tells you to let the mystery be.

Nope that would be GoT and/or Fargo.

You really think only a girl can enjoy a good drama?

if you think there's going to be any type of satisfying conclusion to this show you are delusional.

i'm glad this piece of shit is getting cancelled, fucking lindememe

They already have given more hints and clues than Lost ever gave. We can already figure alot of it out. I dont expect concrete answers but we will have a solid understanding at the end.

>solid understanding at the end.

they already said the departure is not going to be explained... i'll give lindeshit credit for that, at least he covered his ass this time so no one can complain at the end when nothing has a satisfying explanation

If you care about why they disappeared you're literally muh tax policy tier.

My guess is that in that very second, someone wished that person who departed wasn't there. Nora was stressed by her husband and children, that lady was dealing with her crying baby and Kevin wanted to be alone after banging that qt. No one departed in Miracle because in that moment the earthquake took place and everyone concerned themselves with that. But, I don't think we'll ever get an answer and I'm okay with that too.

It wont be flat out explained but the info they gave in season 2 is already a decent amount of explanation. We will learn more in season 3 for sure.

I see the Lindelof obsessed autist has already begun shitting up this thread.

its just amusing that fucking retard is suckering you people again and you just let him keep doing it because muh drama

You know he isn't the only one writing the show right?

>they already said the departure is not going to be explained... i'll give lindeshit credit for that
Do people not know that the series is an adaptation of a novel written by someone else?

Not to mention Perrotta helps write the show and helps keeps Lindelof in check

Why would Jill and Tom wanted some random kid in a science fair disappear?

The point of the show is dealing with loss, its not about why/how the people left.

Holy fuck its a show you autist. Get over it, lost was shit and for capeshit tier plebs.

Leftovers is the best show of the last decade and there is nothing you can do about it. Its the pinnacle of character drama

>Leftovers is the best show of the last decade and there is nothing you can do about it. Its the pinnacle of character drama

nah, that would be quarry

but you haven't watched it because you are literally a pleb

>tfw my birthday is oct 14 and my first name is kevin
is lindelof trying to talk to me?

here, I agree. No clue why you included my post though.

there were other people than tom and jerry there

I don't think they are the ones who wanted that kid gone. They were just unfortunately around them when it happen. My main backing for what I said comes from the mother, Kevin, Nora and Laurie. They seem to not have wanted those people around and then got their wish.

what about Laurie's unborn baby?

She clearly didnt want the baby

Answering this question is literally defeating the point of the entire series. It simply does not matter.

I like this idea.

I like the theory that all of those who departed were wished away by people close to them.

Take Nora's family - when they departed Nora was basically having a nervous breakdown about how she was trapped with them. Likewise, Kevin felt enormous shame for his affair with the woman he slept with on the day of the departure. He probably wanted her to just disappear, which she did.

they disappeared because the plot needed to happen

boi im gonna be mad if they go religious with it

PRAISE GARVEY

we jesus nao

the kid with downsyndrome too. I was thinking maybe people who were a burden to their family/society.

>Without the departure gimmick this show wouldnt work.

Absolutely, but part of the gimmick is not knowing. Just like the characters. If they explain it, then they would be undercutting the entire theme of the series.

>It does matter

No it doesn't.

>Listen, I know its not supposed to matter

Do you?

>If they explain it, then they would be undercutting the entire theme of the series.
yeah but since its ending this season they could still explain it and not undercut anything

The practically did explain the departure with all the evidence given and it changed nothing.

>it's alright for a show to completely abandon its main motif if it's ending

You're honestly too stupid for the show.

And they've already said they won't explain it, just like the book.

>The practically did explain the departure

No, they haven't.

Yes they did

We have enough pieces of information to put it together. You would have to be a dimwit to not see it. But you are a namefag shitposter so nothing you say matters.

He's not suckering me, he's been honest about exactly what the show is. I don't know why you're being so dismissive towards the idea of drama, since that's what makes any show worth watching.

oh shit it's lost all over again
thanks Lindeloff, I guess

Why do Lost fags get so easily triggered? Their obsession with that garbage show never ceases to amaze me

You should really stick to CBS comedies, if this show is going over your head.

All the different theories presenting in the show for the Departure are contradictory. None of them are "evidence", because they aren't mean to be. If you think they are leaving breadcrumbs for you to figure out the Departure then you've literally no read a single interview about the show.

I just don't understand how people can watch twenty hours of a show and still not understand what they're watching.

We have already seen Kevin in the after life. This proves so many different theories. You are too stupid to see that but I am wasting my time talking to you.

If you want to be taken seriously you should post as anonymous. On to the filter list you go.

FPBP

The point in The Leftovers isn't "what happened?" it's "how do we go on after this happened?"

Let the mystery be.

Everyone knows that, but this is a discussion about the departure so fuck off and make your own thread if you wanted to discuss something else.

>54 replies
>23 posters

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think there's an alternate universe where 98% of the population departed. Or, if you believe our universe is a simulation, there was a glitch and poof, 140 million people gone.

This is wrong. God and Satan exist in this show's universe and its one of their workings

>We have already seen Kevin in the after life.

Nevermind the fact that this could have all taken place in his head, it also in no way explains the mystery, since the people who departed didn't do so by drinking poison from an old magical negro.

>but I am wasting my time talking to you.

You are wasting your time talking about this show in general because you don't understand it and get irrationally upset when someone tries to explain it to you.

But there's no answer for it and they'll probably keep it that way through its last season, so it's a stupid topic to start a discussion on. There's better things to talk about, stop trying to be the topic police, your thread has evolved.

People are objecting to the thread's topic, not because we don't want you to have your fun, but because it's just baseless speculation. The show doesn't provide evidence for the Departure, so your theories are basically fanfiction loosely tied into supernatural events of the show.

>watching anything on hbo besides game of thrones or westworld

why

I dont care whether there is an answer or not. I wanted to here Sup Forums's opinions on the departure topic.

We all realize it doesnt matter and don't need a namefag pleb to tell us what we can and cannot talk about

>I dont care whether there is an answer or not.
>We all realize it doesnt matter

My post didn't have anything to do with that. It has to do with the fact that your theories are based on nothing.

You really are stupid, mate.

The reason the departure happened is because aliens abducted all the humans at random for tests and in the last season Kevin & Friends are going to a secret military base and fly a spaceship to the alien mothership and blow it up. (source: I'm Damon Lindelof)

Alright pal, you sure got me and are a true internet scholar. Have fun!

It was Azrael

>(You)

hi Damon, the quality of your post reflects the quality of writing: it's shit

>Without the departure gimmick this show wouldnt work

Incorrect. "The Vessel" is "the leftovers" without the bullshit magic gimmick.

Hellloooooooo Reddit!!!

I've tried to avoid most of the trailers for the new season but it looks like they're setting things up for a second departure. Anyone else think this will end up happening?

I didn't realize people were so invested in answers to the disappearance.

>I've tried

it's not hard, m8

Probably not. Think it will have more to do with people thinking Kevin is some sort of messiah.

They constantly post videos on Facebook.

>Facebook

Ah, yeah, I can totally relate

Hallo faggot

Sorry about that comment, i was busy sucking dicks

I read the book. It's aliens, and Garvey turns into robocop at the end.

I remember I considered this possibility after watching the first episodes of the first season.

Pointless show, since it was all muuuh religious introspection. Too autistic to even pretend to care about the show. Not autistic enough to not shitpost about it.

Jill's science experiment caused it.

What if they didn't disappear but they just missed each other. Like one went to the shop 1 minute before the other came home.

xD upvoted

Honestly, if there is an explanation I believe it'll be a multi-purpose answer that tries to link parallel universes or something with theoretical science.
Something happened in the future that erased someone from the past that erased the existence of anyone that happened because of that person by cause, and affect.

The whole dinosaur domino effect in reverse, or something.

This is lindelof we're talking about. If they make him explain it then it'll literally just be magic.

But then if it is just magic, don't you think he knows people that think:" Here we go again, Lindelof - it'll be unexplained magic shit...again!"

You know he has to be somewhat self contentiousness about that.

The departure was the rapture and this season will be the apocalypse

But again I think it'll be multi-purposed ending, or explanation. It'll be explainable by theoretical science, religion, and by magical mythology.
Multi-purposed!