/180/: BDO LAKESIDE WORLD PROFESSIONAL DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP DAY 1

The high point of the "professional" darts season comes to the fore today with the 41st BDO World Darts Championship from the "home" of world darts: THE LAKESIDE! With surroundings that wouldn't look out of place in a generic 70s sitcom, alleged top tier players struggling to average over 90, and the complete shambles known as "women's darts", it's truly arrows from yesteryear.

The BDO Worlds has no right calling itself professional in the current age, yet it still persists as being that for some ungodly reason. But there's a certain something that the Lakeside has that you don't really get with the PDC. It's not flashy entertainment, it doesn't have pissed-up mongs droning chants endlessly and actively trying to put the players off, and the boards can at least take a dart and not spit them straight back at you. Maybe if they called it the Lakeside World Amateur Darts Championship, it wouldn't be as mocked as it is.

With this being potentially the last time Lakeside is televised, the BDO have gone all guns blazing with the opening match as legendary 3-time champion Martin Adams takes on current #1 Mark McGeeney. Elsewhere this afternoon, reigning women's champion Lisa Ashton gets her quest for a 4th world title underway against Wales' Rhian Griffiths and eternal Lakeside clogger (and hoverboard enthusiast) Gary Robson plays Brunei's Pengiran Mohamed in the preliminary round. The evening features 2015 champion Scott Mitchell against Lithuania's Darius Labanauskas, last year's runner-up Danny Noppert against Yank qualifier Joe Chaney in a prelim, as well as perennial Lakeside bottlejob Deta Hedman against Norway's Rachna David.

Coverage starts at 12:45pm on Channel 4 before switching to BT Sport 3 at 6:45pm.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/darts-bdo-must-market-sport-11785130
dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/darts-ross-montgomery-says-playing-11790631
pdc.tv/news/2018/01/04/huge-increase-world-championship
youtube.com/bdodarts
justincredibledarts.blogspot.co.nz/2018/01/i-was-contacted-this-week-and-asked.html
dartswdf.com/calendar/
youtube.com/watch?v=ol8dVCmLE34
youtube.com/watch?v=pCHbQSM0MQE
youtube.com/watch?v=esawcR8Z0Ao
live.dartsdata.com/
dartsforwin.com/live/livescore.html?matchid=33264621CLI
twitter.com/livedarts/status/949351817267372032
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All matches are best of 5 sets except women's matches (best of 3 sets). Women's matches are in greentext.

>Today's matches (12:45pm - 5:30pm)
Mark McGeeney (2) v Martin Adams
Willem Mandigers (10) v Nick Kenny
>Lisa Ashton (4) v Rhian Griffiths
Pengiran Mohamed v Gary Robson (P)

>Tonight's matches (6:45pm - 11:15pm)
Justin Thompson v Chris Gilliland (P)
>Deta Hedman (1) v Rachna David
Joe Chaney v Danny Noppert (P)
Scott Mitchell (4) v Darius Labanauskas

Following his first ever PDC experience at the Grand Slam, Scotland's Ross Montgomery finally takes off the blinkers and realises that the BDO is fucked and that Lakeside is "nothing special":

dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/darts-bdo-must-market-sport-11785130
dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/darts-ross-montgomery-says-playing-11790631

Meanwhile, in the PDC: pdc.tv/news/2018/01/04/huge-increase-world-championship

>THE PDC are delighted to announce a huge 40% increase in William Hill World Darts Championship prize money for the 2018/2019 tournament, where a £2.5 million prize fund will be on offer including a record-breaking £500,000 to the eventual champion.
Jesus.

And here's Rob Cross with walk-on music sharer Deta.

>With this being potentially the last time Lakeside is televised,
What's happening OP?

>regulated size trebles
>Wolfie
>darts connoisseurs in the crowd
Aww yisss, time for the real Worlds.

>86 averages aplenty

Channel 4 and BT Sport's deal was only for 2 years, so 2017 and 2018.

Plenty of Lakeside classics

How is this not a dyke?

W O L F I E
O
L
F
I
E

But who bought the rights for the years after?

Is handy that Wolfie is going to get knocked out in the very first match of the tournament. Means that we can get the only one worth watching out of the way and then proceed to ignore the rest.

She's nice.

Probably no one.

The whole thing is streamed live on Youtube, if your outside the UK.

youtube.com/bdodarts

Uncle Bazza bamboozled the BBC into airing scripted competitions rather than patrician, orderly darts with based regulation trebles

Duzza is nice too.

>mfw it's BASED wolfie time

Surely Uncle Barry will buy the BDO soon?

Last I heard he offered them £2m, with them obviously rejecting it, but the counties asking them to reconsider it. Since then Olly Croft has finally fucked off though.

>the final words ever uttered by a BDO player on the BBC were "If I pull your chain, will you flush".

It's beyond worth it now. They're destroying themselves already.

And as Bazza was quoted recently in an interview with Sports Gazette:

>“My job was to hold out the hand of friendship to them when I first took over. I said to Olly Croft, who was head of the BDO: ‘Look, I’m not party to this history. Shall we sit down and talk and see where we are?’ And he wrote me back a line and just said ‘I see no point for a meeting.’ I wrote back and said to him: ‘In that case, I will fuck you within every inch of your life.’ And I have. I didn’t destroy them but I don’t want to destroy them because they do a job. But they’re not professional and they don’t run the sport in the way that they thought they ran the sport. Sport is run by excellence."

make love to me, wolf man

>I wrote back and said to him: ‘In that case, I will fuck you within every inch of your life.’
>it's real
Fucking hell, Bazza.

The BDO is still pretty much the entire grassroots of darts in the country. It'd be far easier for Barry to just take all that over rather than try to let them go bust and remake it himself.

The interesting question would be what would happen about the WDF if it happened.

lol

Bazza seems to be a very petty man.

>The BDO is still pretty much the entire grassroots of darts in the country. It'd be far easier for Barry to just take all that over rather than try to let them go bust and remake it himself.
True. What the BDO needs is someone in charge who realises that it is no longer the top darts organisation and restructures it to benefit the amateur game. It's an absolute shambles at present.

>The interesting question would be what would happen about the WDF if it happened.
I doubt much would change on that front.

Considering Croft basically said "piss off" to him and made no attempt to even start a reconciliation, no wonder he took that approach.

Is the WDF actually anything other than a puppet government of the BDO?

Ignoring the PDC. It seems to be like snooker, where the British body organises the tournament tour including tournaments abroad, and the "World" body runs a couple of amateur tournaments won by random Indians you've never heard of.

"Let's be friends"
"No"
"WELL THEN I FUCK YOU IN THE ASS!!!"

I don't know.

justincredibledarts.blogspot.co.nz/2018/01/i-was-contacted-this-week-and-asked.html

>Bob Potter's Palace of Piss
>January Jobber Jamboree

Kek. I've got no idea which people behind the scenes he is talking about at times, but Justin Credible is always a giggle to read.

The whole WDF setup is confusing.

Take a look at the 2018 calendar for instance: dartswdf.com/calendar/

Absolutely all over the place.

No Power, no point.

>Jamie Lewis
>more deserving
Stopped reading there, what a retarded opinion.

meant for obviously

Complete misquote but Lewis wouldn't have even been considered without that semi-final run.

They fucked up already. YT stream is announced to start at 12:30 UK time. It's still offline. People in the chat state that it will start 12:45 or 13:00...let's see.

Aye you're not wrong. Guy's funny when he's ranting about the BDO and the abuse he gets back from the chavs organising it though, like "popcorn teeth"(?).

Love how Spineless hates the PDC but cashed in his principles for Uncle Barry's coin.

popcorn teeth refers to current BDO chairwoman sue williams

pros in the BDO are just scared of being swallowed up by the PDC

they're big fishes in a little point in the BDO

Cross working on that optimal darts weight I see

And we're on now.

it begins.

Why do they have a separate women's draw. What kind of bigotry is this?

>asstit again

the one in the background looks like a trap desu

>For 40 years

>Why do we still care

HAHAHHA

>PDC players want to be at Lakeside

Ahahahahaaaaaa

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLFIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MARTIN ADAMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That entire speech was complete shite.

Nicho going the Chris Mason route of spouting bollocks and taking the coin.

>Also got bummed by Peter Wright over a longer format.

Absolute garbage being uttered.

reminder that the BDO will never have a scene like this
youtube.com/watch?v=ol8dVCmLE34

And Clown played rubbish.

>Bobby George segment

Haha time for Bobby George

>Gary Robson
Obligatory video: youtube.com/watch?v=pCHbQSM0MQE

Which one hurt more lads? Lim missing his 9 darter this year or Wolfie in 2015?

youtube.com/watch?v=esawcR8Z0Ao

based barney army

Who /Pengiran Mohamed/ here

>Noppert unseeded

>no utter plebcunts

Nice.

>that Wolfie shirt design
That is fucking woeful.

Cancer doesn't make you fat wolfie, sort it out

>Scottish furries at Lakeside

>Taylor in the 1991 final holds the record average for a BDO final of 97.58

Absolute state of the BDO.

That crowd is making far too much noise, this is supposed to be a gentleman's game. Also though making no noise at all is rude so that is also not what I want to see in my sport.

>wolfie BTFO in round one again

Why didn't they just rig the draw so one of their only 2 draws actually makes it some distance?

His first time outside the house by the look of it.

IIIIIIIT'SSS WOOOOOLFIE

W O L F I E
O
L
F
I
E

AWOOOOOOOOOOO

>this walk-on music

>called Wolfie
>is Fattie

IT'S EDGE

>0 matches played
>2 ad breaks

kek, no way Baz would allow this entrance music

>vassos alexander and john rawling

Weird hearing John Rawling do something other than boxing

Camera angle on the board looks shite.

hi where are the streams

Hate this guy's voice

THUMP THUMP THUMP

here lad

>that last dart from mcgeeney
slap bang in single 1 when setting up for tops

youtube.com/bdodarts

>Rawling's understanding of betting odds.

Youtube

Wolfie averaging about 48 so far

wolfie gonna get btfo

THREE

How is Wolfie supposed to get drunk enough before 1 am

Is there something like live.dartsdata.com/ for BDO events?

SEVEN SCORED

dartsforwin.com/live/livescore.html?matchid=33264621CLI but it's terrible in comparison.

>3000 viewers
>half of them are from sp /180/ thread

STAND UP, IF YOU LOVE THE DARTS

truly the best organisation

twitter.com/livedarts/status/949351817267372032

>Pengiran Mohamed will become the first player from Brunei to compete in the BDO World Championship this year. He practices on this replica Lakeside setup - impressive!

My sides.

>164

23 SCORED