Why isn't there a mathematical/logical basis to approaching film like music theory?

Why isn't there a mathematical/logical basis to approaching film like music theory?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_incompleteness_theorems
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

too many variables

there is

its called dishonest film making

chase a monkey up a tree, shake a stick at him, then get him down again

What the fuck do you think Disney is doing?

>implying capeshit hasn't become so formulaic that producing it is exactly like solving an algebra problem

Is that even true for music? I mean they have language to describe technical things but I don't think the appreciation of music is mathematical or logical. I'm no expert but I think the twelve note scale is just a convention right? So if you're making music based around a system of course it's easy to describe in that system.

literally, everything is a system

everything is mathemetical

It's just autists trying to understand art and getting confused and frustrated

There's more to a movie than narrative.

What's the film equivalent of a musical scale then?

nah it's basically mathematics

certain notes have certain feelings, and the progression of certain notes/chords create basic feelings which can be expressed mathematically

>literally, everything is a system
>everything is mathemetical

Only if you axiomatise it, and treat it mathematically, and you always lose something when you do that. Hell mathematics can't even tell you everything about arithmetic, let alone anything else.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_incompleteness_theorems

>The first incompleteness theorem states that no consistent system of axioms whose theorems can be listed by an effective procedure (i.e., an algorithm) is capable of proving all truths about the arithmetic of the natural numbers. For any such formal system, there will always be statements about the natural numbers that are true, but that are unprovable within the system. The second incompleteness theorem, an extension of the first, shows that the system cannot demonstrate its own consistency.

HA. There is if you're trying to make a lot of money in a movie, but then you devoid it of all artistic merit (mostly).

If Godel was so smart, why couldn't he feed himself? Checkmate Einstein.

Most directors aren't that smart, and truly mathematical films like say, Primer, don't get any money to be made because normies sure as fuck aren't going to see them.

There is. Michael Bay figured it out.

>and truly mathematical films like say, Primer,

>certain notes have certain feelings, and the progression of certain notes/chords create basic feelings which can be expressed mathematically

you can express the relationships between frequencies of notes in a scale mathematically, but I'm pretty sure the emotions we associate with them are more a matter of convention. Has there been research to suggest that emotional judgments of music are consistent across cultures that have different aesthetic criteria?

Mathematics is an abitrary 10 base system. That doesn't matter, math is more fundamental than that and so is music. The difference between music and math is music we decide things based on a human centric opinion of what is "harmonious" and what isn't. Math is completely universal.

The idea of music theory is applying a mathematical model to music and discovering trends in what humans like, and the, extrapolating new kinds of music from that

Notes only gain meaning in relation to the other notes around it.

What is "mathematical" about Primer besides it being science fiction?

>Math is completely universal.

If someone chose different axioms they'd arrive at different results.

Is say James Cameron more than Michael bay. Michael bay misses one important step, hiding the fact

Yeah, no one except a synaesthete would say "C is a sad note."

> truly mathematical films like say, Primer,
you're pathetic

look up concrete cinema. That's as close as "math rock" is to music.

>and truly mathematical films like say, Primer
I wanna be in the screenshot.

>concrete cinema
Can you post some examples? Google isn't helping.

>truly mathematical films like say, Primer,
This fucking board...

>The idea of music theory is applying a mathematical model to music and discovering trends in what humans like, and the, extrapolating new kinds of music from that

This is all film theory is but without the math.

And this is where we end the day. Good night Sup Forums.

Bay makes billions worldwide recycling the same movie over and over. That's a formula he cracked.

>tfw have useless Classics degree from an Ivy League uni
my time to shine!

Fibonacci Kino

Music is much, much easier to translate to mathematics. It mostly comes down to notes, which are discrete. Film isn't discrete in any meaningful way, like literature, so you can't easily approach it from a mathematical standpoint.

What theories of film use mathematical models?

Depth, spacing, timing, the list goes on...

You listed cinematographic and editing techniques, not theories of film.

there is, why else do you think so many identical blockbusters are released each year?

try "structural film".
That's the proper term for what i meant
True cool shit you're looking for is beyond the industry representation methods. meaning.. storystelling, frames, scenes, actors and a script

>Michael Snow and James Benning are the film equivalent of math rock
I don't see the connection honestly