Hancock 2008

Hancock 2008
Gross
624.4 million USD (largest original property superhero movie ever by leaps and bound)
41% Rotten Tomatoes

So seriously what happened with this movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TQpyuU3om4w
imdb.com/title/tt1706593/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i liked it

I remember thinking it was a solid flick

>So seriously what happened with this movie?
It was a drama marketed as a comedy. All the trailers made it seem like it would be funny watching Will Smith be the drunk bum version of Superman and break things while saving people. They didn't expect 30 mins in for it to be a character piece and then all that crap about being 'paired' and Will cucking the guy who was trying to help him cause his wife was actually a superhero too and etc.

People felt like it was a bait and switch and complained.

Was this that Birdman remake?

I thought it was too soon. And the blackwashing of Michael Keaton was obvious agenda pushing

The stuff with Charlize Theron was pretty bad. It's like they put two different movies together

Were you tryin to be funny? You're not my man lmao

you were 8, you liked everything I bet

>you were 8
in 2008 I was 19

It fell flat in the second. The twist ruined the film.

What was going on here?

youtube.com/watch?v=TQpyuU3om4w

muh star crossed angel lovers
muh civilizations rationalize the supernatural

This. What the fuck, it's goddamn will Smith, how do you fuck this up

>black man and white woman were literally made for each other
Don't think I didn't see what you did, Jewlywood.

I never even noticed this, watching the movie back then, until I started coming here

sigh

you really need to stop pretending people give a single fuck about marketing. Most people forget trailers exist within seconds of seeing them. If people get baited and switched, and the switch is a good movie, no one would ever complain and they'd tell all their normie as fuck friends it was a great movie and the movie would be successful.

The only times this isn't the case is when the marketing promises a good movie and the movie is total shit. Like hancock. The belligerent-fuckup-superman thing was great, but they dump it pretty early and spend the entire rest of the movie moving further and further away from it. Then at some point the movie becomes about jason fucking bateman and his cunt wife. By this point everyone has just about checked out of the movie and no longer willing to see anything the movie did as anything other than mindnumbingly retarded.

Why are Sony Pictures so fucking incompetent now?
They have so many COULD BE franchises that could be anywhere from decent to good and they just fuck them up one after another.

Kaz just needs to purge that entire staff roll and bring in totally new people who know what a good movie and not what they think a 30 year old american and no one else would want to see.

Like I'm still astounded at how bad they fucked up Ghostbusters - who allowed thus to happen??

sony has always been pretty incompetent and you're pretty stupid if you think raimi spiderman was any different.

This

>people don't care about marketing
>except when they do, like this movie
This post is a mess

So whats it like being mentally retarded?

All marketing promises a good movie.

Why does fucking Hancock need a franchise?

It was a solid one-off movie. It doesn't need a cinematic universe, cancer.

wasn't he like a bum in the first movie?

why is the natural progression of anyone with super powers that they have to wear a stupid suit?

holy shit i had to turn rhe lights on the fuck is that thing?

What would you have them wear? Body armor is redundant when you can take an rpg to the face and keep on trucking. It's needs to be flexible and durable enough to stand up to everyday use and be easily recognizable to police and members of the public so that you're not having a swat team come down on your ass everytime you do super hero shit.

chinese money laundering

THIS.
It goes from a pretty cool movie to hot dog shit as soon as the "twist" happens. Fucking ANGELS? Really?

What the fuck?

>can't scroll to the comment
fat sacks of shit

I embedded the video, you halfwit.

I just made this thread because the gross is actually pretty amazing so I would think the demand could be there for a 10 years later sequel.

Yes compared to MCU movies its bad but 600 million is better than a LOT of DC and anything not-Disney.

I was also thinking because of that metacritic which had it being almost a hit, it could be tweaked and become a fresh movie and gross even better.

Just add some post-black lives matter type stuff, add Dave Chappelle as a sidekick, play off more comedy moments, get Denis Villeneuve to direct, make it R Rated and vulgar but not Deadpool but closer to Eddie Murphys RAW or At The Apollo. A black superhero was ahead of its time and would be received well today.

I'm not asking for a whole franchise but just a fun sequel and go back one more time with Will Smith nearing 50.

The redemption arc starts too early into the movie, should've had him being a dick for a lot longer

i remember the cgi being shitty af

>stop pretending people give a single fuck about marketing
hahahahahaha

Bro, give Hollywood a call. They could be saving literally billions with all that wasted marketing, they'd probably appreciate your expertise.

>Just add some post-black lives matter type stuff, add Dave Chappelle as a sidekick, play off more comedy moments, get Denis Villeneuve to direct, make it R Rated and vulgar but not Deadpool but closer to Eddie Murphys RAW or At The Apollo. A black superhero was ahead of its time and would be received well today.

These are absolutely terrible, garbage ideas. Never thought I'd say this to anyone, but please let Sony handle it.

It should have ONLY been dickhead -> redemption -> superhero, but they threw in that fucking angel shit and ruined the entire story.

Good first half.
Went to shit the moment this random bimbo turned to be a superhero too

if the movie is good, marketing is irrelevant. if the movie is bad, no amount of marketing will save it.

>In October 2006, Peter Berg was attached to direct Tonight, He Comes with production slated to begin in May 2007 in Los Angeles, the story's setting. Berg had been midway through filming The Kingdom when he heard about the film and called Michael Mann, who had become one of its producers. The new director compared the original script's tone to Leaving Las Vegas (1995), calling it "a scathing character study of this suicidal alcoholic superhero". The director explained the rewrite, "We thought the idea was cool, but we did want to lighten it up. We all did." Before filming began, Tonight, He Comes was retitled John Hancock, and it was eventually shortened to Hancock.

>movie starts off as a man dealing with the responsibility of having superpowers and coming into the public's favor
>goes on a downward spiral once it's revealed that his publicist's wife is also a superhero
>turns out they're some kind of fucking gods
>being near each other makes them vulnerable
>this is all so there can be second act drama and third act resolution
>nothing whatsoever to do with that first act's plot
That's what happened. An interesting premise turned into an incomprehensible mess because it smashed two films together and thought we'd give a shit.

Exactly. It should have been more about him coming to terms with his powers, and maybe even discovering who he was and what caused it (an accident or something). Maybe by finding out who he was, it would have made him more willing to help out.

Anything about his past that wasn't "Immortal who got amnesia."

I agree, the movie promised wasn't the movie delivered, which is a shame because the premise and the first half of the movie are well executed.

When it was revealed that Charlize character was another superhuman the movie took a nose dive.

tfw stil no Tonight he comes movie

it would be edgy as fuck

That's only part of what marketing is for. The big purpose of marketing is to define movies in a simple way, to help them be easily and quickly understood so that it doesn't require shitloads of energy from people to explain what a movie is about.

You'll notice that if you ask people to quickly describe a movie, they'll generally give you the quick take that you get from the movie's marketing. That's by design. The absolute worst thing would be to have a group of people thinking about seeing a movie, somebody says something like, "what's the deal with this movie?" and the response from everybody else is confused and long on details. You want people to say, "oh, it's that ____ movie where ______ with ______." People get that from the marketing.

They literally sit around, look at a movie, and figure out how to define it for people. Who's involved, what the quick plot is, is it critically acclaimed, blahblahblah. Boiling down a movie so that people know exactly how to explain it in two sentences to convince someone else to see it isn't an easy task, and that's a big part of what marketing does.

you're either an idiot or a marketer who's vastly overestimating his chosen profession's importance.

Good Lord. Berg is truly a fucking hack.

If that were true, there would be no such thing as an underrated film.
Good movies that don't make money are the result of poor marketing.

I fucking loved it. Shit, I've even stopped fooling with my ex in the theater to watch the movie.

She was bitchy for hours after that kek

>under/overrated is marketing

jesus christ you are completely fucking stupid

One Punch Man live action adaptation with Will Smith when?

>Good movies that don't make money are the result of poor marketing.

No, they're the result of not being released widely.

Hancock is a terrible TERRIBLE movie.

>calling theron a random bimbo
fuck you nigger

If it is a good movie, and not many people saw it, it's underrated, yes? Because it wasn't a success and very few people like it, because very few have even seen it.

If nobody knew to see it, that means it wasn't marketed very well.

This is not a difficult concept. Hollywood marketing budgets are often just as high as the film's production budget. You are a nobody claiming to understand the Hollywood money machine better than the distributors spending the insane quantities of money, which is ludicrous.

it turned shit right the second her sister or what ever came in picture. all i wanted was a drunk what ever superhero

underrated/overrated are in reference to what people think of it and how the person using the term disagree with that, you total fucking pillock.

No, if something is overrated or underrated it means that the quality of that thing is not accurately reflected in the mainstream. It implies that the reception to that item was undeserved, whether positively or negatively. This can be the result of reception by audiences, critics, or peers, or it could merely be the result of a poor box-office performance.

Now, you can continue to call me names (and continue on with your poor spelling and grammar, too), but unless you'd like to actually offer some evidence to back your claims, or present proof of your own qualifications (though, somehow, your struggle with basic English gives the impression you're not actually a graduate), that film marketing is irrelevant, you are not going to convince anybody in this thread or anywhere else. Marketing is incredibly important to a film's success, especially in its opening weekend; this is why so many low-quality films, but which benefited from excellent marketing, have such a severe drop-off in box-office revenue after their first week of release. Conversely, it's also why so many high-quality films, which suffered from abysmal marketing, fail to break even at the box office.

>So seriously what happened with this movie?
Nobody likes niggers.

The twist and unnecessary love story felt out of place failed the movie.

You know user it's okay to not post sometimes

will smith makes weird combinations of trops and genres. it's unsettling

Will Smith's name still pulled a huge audience.

Wasn't Will Smit's character cucked in this movie by a asian guy? I remember a scene in the kitchen with him and some blond woman where he bangs her with a pot over her head. She turns and punches him. Later on it is revealed that they used to be married in a previous life and they always end up together, but this time she married some other guy.

Imagine if this movie came out today. We would literally have 50+ threads about this.

First post best post.

No one mentioned it was written by Bravo Vince

Bravo, Vince!

kek what the fuck vince

i had no idea

Hancock has the deepest lore

go back to your containment board, polcuck

He talked about your mental age.

It has the word cock in the title.

Hancock was a great movie for about the first hour, because it was a goofy movie about a lazy/irresponsible version of superman who gets a PR agent and maybe learns the meaning of friendship or something.

Then it turns into this weird supernatural drama for no real reason.

this is actually a solid film until the chick comes in

overpowered loser learning how to use his abilities for good? fun as hell

>GOOD JOB!

its demonic!! i want you to watch satanic rituals in music and hollywood you are going to find thousand of great documentery on this .please go to it they will show you 100s of things just like this in movies with this and illuminity .sorry if i spelled it wrong there is also a video its called hidden strange thing in hancock movie between 22sec and 34 sec after that demon showc up u will see a view of the tornado from the sky then there is lighting and illuminity eye on ground left corner

This could've been such a clever movie, like it could have deconstructed the superhero genre in the same year the dark knight came out

what a fucking waste

I really like the way they displayed his powers in this film, shame about the shitty second half though.

Badly forced love stories are the worst things in films. Or anything, really.

>Actually mastered in 4K in 2008 when most movies today are 2K

Ahead of it's time

I've seen a trailer not long ago, for a similar movie only about white guy with superpowers. Does anyone know the name?

>every big company spends billions marketing their products
>some random retard on a chinese cartoons forum thinks it's not important

Ok, you you convinced me

bvs

I said movie not kino.

Welcome reddicuck

You're not funny

so you're saying a 10/10 movie with no trailers or posters will get views regardless, and still end up making millions? Marketing is a huge deal with movies

because you have shitty eyes.

imdb.com/title/tt1706593/

just a street performer in stilts wearing a costume :v

the original script was tonight he comes and it involved bruce willis cucking this beta named horus and raping his wife

also shotgun spunk killing hookers

will smith rewrote that and we got a bait and switch instead, but the first half is solid
same as i am legend honestly

Fucking idiot

underrated post