Just got back from this (Australian here), fucking great movie. Not a cliche in sight...

Just got back from this (Australian here), fucking great movie. Not a cliche in sight, the characters all behave rationally and realistically for scientists in their situation, and the alien was genuinely unsettling.
The ending was the best part of an already consistently good movie

three words: hella f*cking epic

Any screenshots of the grown Alien user?

>See first trailer
>Just enough to be interested, committed to viewing
>See second trailer
>They show a lot more, wondering why they do that
>See most recent trailer
>Basically the entire fucking movie including the creature reveal
Why are modern films doing this?

>Not a cliche in sight,
This is the most cliched movie I've seen in years

Aus fag here, I saw this in an empty cinema. It was one of the best cinema experiences. Thank you Disney for rehashing Beauty and the Beast

spoil it

I won't watch more than a minute thirty of any modern trailer. They spoil so much for people actually paying attention.

The two trailers for the new Aliens movie for example.

The wrong pod lands on earth

I'm another Aussie that saw it today, I respect your opinion OP but I disagree a little.

I did enjoy it, but I thought it was fairly cliche (if you've seen one "alien monster in a spaceship" movie, you've seen them all) and I think a lot of the plot hinged on the stupidity of people who should be very smart.

I think I would have enjoyed this more if the trailers didn't spoil the whole fucking movie.
7/10 if I'm being generous

Which character's stupidity do you mean? I specifically liked that they reacted with a realistic balance of emotion at seeing friends die and following quarantine procedures/accepting their duties, etc. Going to great lengths to save their friends but none of that needing to be dragged away kicking and screaming from them if you know it's too late.

>(if you've seen one "alien monster in a spaceship" movie, you've seen them all)
I'll give you that, it's hardly a fun movie if the alien never breaks quarantine after all.

There are two people left, and two pods. Gyllenhaal lures the alien with him into one pod with intent to manually steer into deep space away from Earth, the other is Miranda hoping to get home. Miranda's pod encounters debris from the wrecked ISS and veers off into space, while, the alien overpowers Gyllenhaal while he is steering, forcing his hand and veering the pod towards Earth. They land in the ocean off near a foreign fishing village and when the fishermen inspect the pod they find Gyllenhaal encased by the alien, screaming at them not to open the door (they can't hear). Door opens, cuts to a top down view of more and more boats approaching the pod implying humanity's doom, then ends.

First part of this is meant for

Unfortunately not, but throughout the movie it never actually stops growing

Thinking that cultivating an alien life form on a space station is somehow safer than doing it in a secure facility on earth.

Opening the door to save the guy with the broken hand, putting the entire human race at risk.

Designing an emergency system that requires you to turn vents off one by one.

Firing thrusters with no regard for how it would effect the orbit of the station and then being surprised when it does.

Sending a second crew to push the station into space, but don't have any security in place to stop the original crew opening the door and contaminating the new shuttle.

Design escape pods that don't try and avoid debris or other pods at all.

Gyllenhaal thinks the alien is gonna chill in the pod and let him pilot them out to space, even though it should be painfully obvious by now that it understands virtually everything that is happening.

Australian here, can confirm. How good was that ending? Totally didn't see it coming.
You make your fellow shitposters proud mate

>the characters all behave rationally and realistically for scientists

>New alien lifeform discovered
>Nobody has any idea what it's capabilities are
>Lel let's touch it

1. Aside from the ending, the entire events of the movie explain why it was safer than on Earth. Also they weren't expecting some hyper evolving hostile lifeform, they say several times it went above expectations

2. You're right that was stupid, in any case he should have done while it was still digesting the mouse, not when it had gotten out already.

3. I was under the impression that was a malfunction rather than by design but I'll concede it

4. I was less concerned with him using the thrusters carelessly than I was with how little fuel they had. If they'd been properly stocked up it wouldnt have been an issue but yeah this is one of the things that puzzled me in the theater

5. A member of the first crew was the one who suggested that emergency procedure, there's no reason the second crew were expecting any resistance in terms of executing it from the first crew (Sho only went there out of misunderstanding)

6. Not sure what you can do about debris present from the launch place (Launching from a wrecked space station is pretty inherently risky) and the pods never actually hit each other

7. You've got me there, but they were out of ideas

Your responses are pretty reasonable and I agree with a few things. It's definitely ridiculous how little fuel they had for the thrusters haha, they were firing for a few seconds.

That was my main gripe, I withheld from passing judgment just because I obviously don't know too much about space travel and fuel economy but with how quickly they reached critical levels they would have run out regardless of the alien being hostile.

Slightly unrelated, I remember reading an interview an astronaut gave once about space movies and alarms on space craft, he said that blaring klaxons and flashing red lights were nonexistent in real life because it would only serve to distract in an emergency, always thought that was interesting. It'd be nice to see a movie take that approach (I've always thought silence in space is underutilised in horror)

Yeah, I know that blaring emergency warnings would drive me crazy in a situation like that, but I guess it does work well in film to ratchet up the tension. I was grateful when he turned it off.

I'm curious, did you see any of the trailers before seeing this? I feel like this is a movie that would be greatly improved by going in blind, the trailers made it all very predictable to me.

>Latest TV spot for it's friday release literally shows the Alien climbing into Ryan fucking Reynolds' mouth.

Why would I waste my money then?

How does it look like?

Is it a squid?

Literally a venom prequel

Didn't know this, I only watched the first trailer.
That's a huge climax waster, not knowing its method of killing humans made for a pretty suspenseful scene imo

Mass of tentacles and muscle with appendages also similar in appearance to dorsal fins and a not easily discernable head until closer to the end (since it's implied that all its cells perform all cell functions and it's essentially a neural network). Not really doing it justice with words, it's plenty unsettling

Yeah, the marketing for this movie is truly awful.

Kinda. It tentacles are almost like wings and when it gets big it has some kind of face at the center.

This screencap gives you some idea of what it's like, the best I could do.

>Not really doing it justice with words, it's plenty unsettling

Honestly you described it much better than I could!

Also, I agree that it was quite an unsettling creature. It was pretty disturbing when it consumes the mouse.

Is the recycled scene from SM3 in the movie?

When I saw what happened to the mouse I thought that was going to be the fate of the humans too actually, I was prepared to be traumatised lol. I suppose to an extent that's what happened to Reynold's internal organs since it left his body much larger, which is a pretty horrifying thought.
Also the reveal that it had been feasting on the black guy's leg I thought was clever and effective

Me too, I was actually kinda glad that it didn't happen haha.

Which scene?

Me too, would have been a bit tasteless imo and I don't think extreme gore would have fit with the tone of the rest of the movie

The one of the shocked citizens that was shown at a TV Spot,which started the whole Venom theory.

its an octopus-like alien, they already gave that away in the trailer by saying its 'muscle and nerves''

Oh okay, I don't recall anything like that being in the film. Interesting theory about Venom, it would be a cool way to introduce a villain like that, but I don't see how it would be possible after watching the film.

I'm not really sure which scene you're talking about, there are only two scenes with Earth citizens in them that I can remember, one is when they get to name the lifeform and the other is at the end when they come across the pod
This alien doesn't 'infect' hosts though, just devours, and by the end it is very much its own creature, not really classifiable as a virus or anything

It isn't actually which is sorta funny. It's just in the trailer

This is the scene from Spider-man 3, pretty sure it was only in the trailer. There's no reaction shot like this in the movie.

Ausfag who saw it today as well, when you say stupidity of the people involved who exactly? Like old mate said they were all fairly rational coupled with the fact there was some shit out of there control and couldn't possibly train for. I really enjoyed the movie so I'll defend this shit

Why don't they use a nuclear weapon?

Who has the worst death ?

Comes down to personal opinion, here's what I can remember
Miranda gets launched into deep space by herself, Olga drowns on the coolant from her spacesuit entering her helmet while on a spacewalk, Reynolds gets his internal organs dissolved by the alien while still alive (not alive for long though), Gyllenhaal looked to be in the process of being consumed by the alien at the end.
Fair bit of variation

Well shit, the alien seems... angry.

>The two trailers for the new Aliens movie for example.

This.

They did the same with the Prometheus trailer. Literally showed you all the big final act surprises.