The Age of Spin and Deep in the Heart of Texas are probably Chapelle's weakest stand up specials to date. Yes...

The Age of Spin and Deep in the Heart of Texas are probably Chapelle's weakest stand up specials to date. Yes, there are moments in each that are pretty damn funny, but he spoiled much of it by consistently telling "I don't get this new generation" jokes, along with consistent rape, trans, and gay jokes that felt dated and played out. Gay people love clothes?! ZINGER! Never heard that one before, Dave!!¡¡¡

I normally can see the humor in a lot of controversial comedy. His other specials, like Killing Them Softly, and his show, Chapelle's Show, remain some of my all time favorites. Some of Dave's material and style in these specials, though, came off the same way ones parents or extended family (drunk uncle/aunt, conservative cousins, out of touch grandparents, etc.), might joke about some topics in public or at the dinner table, and not realize it's uncool to talk like that anymore. It's embarrassing and you try to explain to them how it's not alright, but they don't see the harm and don't change.

Once on the cutting edge of comedy, Chapelle is showing his age in these specials, and it's disheartening considering how on point he was on his recent Saturday Night Live appearance. He had help and influence during SNL, though, so perhaps that was why :/

(1/2)

Naw nigga, that shit was pretty good.

Has there ever been a comedian that wildly changed their style and material to fit with a new generation?

I agree OP. When he said f*gs, I was literally shaking. I can't even with this guy anymore.

His voice kept cracking. Common side effect of steroids.

Several. You're just too young to have seen most of them.

Name three.

Both those shows were recorded a couple years ago, some of the jokes were slightly dated (ray rice, cosby, that racist food network bitch, etc.) But 2 pretty solid hours of funny imo. Better than anything any current comics have put out lately.

Im rick james bitch!

louis ck
larry david
jackie chan

Louis CK is still telling the same jokes, though. 'God I am fat and ugly, and here's some wisdom you fucking kids can parrot without understanding it'.

He is getting old but at least we get a last good hurrah.

His jokes on Cosby rape should have stopped around the 3th or 4th. After a while it started to sound less like jokes and more like he was trying to find some silver lining in Cosby being a rapist. We get it, the man made strides for the black presentation in mainstream media but there isn't anything redeeming about being a rapist.

Age of Spin was kino, maybe the best he's done.

the texas one was just alright

What was the titular joke for "Age of Spin"? I already forgot.

Funny I watched the Texas one first and then Age of Spin and got the opposite reaction.

It's funny to me how little we think of blacks that no one bats at an eye when they defend a rapist. I don't think the edgiest white comedian in the world could get away with that.

HE

SAVES

BUT

HE

ALSO

RAPES

kind of minor, it was just about kids these days having it hard cuz they know everything and hear about black guys getting shot by cops every day while back int he day you didn't know shit.

special should've been called "Dave Chapelle: he rapes, but he saves"

>(1/2)

Agreed. Texas one was pretty funny, but it was just jokes after jokes, being silly and having fun. Age of Spin feels like it was carefully written to maximize the impact of jokes, not only was it genius to frame it all around him meeting O.J. Simpsons, but it also had other really brilliant build ups, in particular the the Bill Cosby thing.

Glad someone got the joke. Thanks friendo ;3

>OP being a huge faggot was offended
fuck off OP

>When you'd already seen most of his jokes from the second special in the live shows you went to in 2015 and 2016

that's because they were shot differently on purpose. Age of Spin was centered around specific themes thus the show was built upon those themes. Deep in the Heart of Texas was more of a comedy setting and filming a stand up routine like Dave finishing a set. There is no over arching structure which glues together all the parts of Deep in the Heart of Texas like Age of Spin does. If there was there would have been a joke to tie the beginning of the show to the end like Age of Spin had.

My nigga. Went in 2015 around march. Hilarious show

Age of Spin fucking sucked.

>I was gonna do a charity but I'm still quick to sucking Hollywood dick, so I went to the Oscars instead.
Audience cheers
>Key and Peele stole muh show!
Audience cheers
>I got 4 OJ stories! And all of them are literally the juice just saying what's up, nothing funny.
Audience finds them all hilarious.

Texas special was miles better and had actual jokes and stories, almost didn't watch it after seeing Age of Shit.

>If there was there would have been a joke to tie the beginning of the show to the end like Age of Spin had.

it is called a callback you absolute pleb

His early standup was pretty shitty desu senpai. This was light years ahead.

He keeps repeating in both these new specials that he's 42, as though that makes some of his stances ok, and somehow gives him a pass to try and rationalize such things as Bill Cosby's behavior.
To paraphrase some of his Cosby speals:
Yeah, he raped over 50 women, but he did some good stuff, too. I can't just turn my back on that/him. People who do bad things can do good things, too.
Dave, just stop. Let it go, man. Sorry he was your childhood hero, but Cosby is a monster. You don't rape 50 women and remain a hero. He was doing those bad things during your childhood far into your adulthood. He lied/covered up the bad with the disingenuous good things you keep idolizing. He does not deserve praise in any shape or form anymore.

Anyway, when Dave was killing it, he couldn't be touched. But when he spiraled into what I can only describe as "Generation X humor kicking and screaming to resist the new generation," he somewhat lost me.

He's coming out with 2 more specials, and I can only hope he catches on to the evolved dynamics of the country and gets his core audience back. He flat out states in this first special that he's lost much of his original audience. If he continues to not even slightly tweak his mindset/material, I worry he's going to lose even more, which is a shame because the man is normally a polished genius.

(2/2)

I couldn't help but compare it to Bill Burrs much better bit on Arnold Schwarzenagger.
Part of Chapelles you had to be there to understand it kids bits were tongue on cheek, bur what made it awkward was that a lot of it wasn't and he honestly seemed out of touch and bitter.

No shit you fucking autist

What? Women are things.

>gif

what did he mean by this? no seriously wut

Sup Forums stuff my man

>Dave jokes about a hero who saves but has to pet puusy to do it
>year later Trump wins

really gets your eggs boiling

I find it funny the criticism Gen Xers have for Millennials. It usually winds up being fully hypocritical. For example, Dave earlier in the set was talking about how he doesn't give a shit. He puts on a crappy performance because he decided to get high and doesn't refund his audience. He was supposed to go to Flint, but decided to go to the Oscars. Then he berates Millennial for not caring.

Says the youth know everything because of technology so they care less about isolated incidents around the world. Maybe...just maybe they are smarter and more informed than you. Maybe it's not a bad thing that the youth doesn't freak out every-time something bad happens in the world because they are more aware how large the world is and how often bad shit inevitably happens somewhere.

Dude Cosby was literally one of the pinnacles of the black community and now one of their best turns out like that, just like oj Simpson, it's gotta be rough to have one of your idols turn out like that.

It's not as common today as it was at the turn of the century when vaudeville died. But there's plenty of people like Groucho Marx that turned their talents around for new audiences.

some jokes wre meh and the cosby joke did get old. the tape joke of him jacking off was really cringy though.

Hopefully he just tested the waters with this special and will do a new one in a few months with some material he's been working with over the year, and also go on a real fucking tour because i want to see him live soon. These were pretty good but judging by all the sets i've seen on youtube over the past 3 years i know he can do more.

It's hard not to be a hypocrite and not get fucked off when he generalises with my demographic when I'll laugh my ass off when people take the piss out of gays or blacks

>Access Hollywood and E! are the only ones who knew before the 2016 election
Remember how Dave talked about rumors in Hollywood, like Bruce Jenner becoming a tranny? Word gets around and in those circles you hear things. Chances are he probably heard some Trump shit.

>Killing Them Softly
maybe the best standup special of all time

comparing any special to it is unfair desu

If you ever re-watch it, take a look around the room and see the expression on all the women.
I wonder if some white comedian made a bunch of jokes about slavery how slavery might have been bad but at least blacks got to live in America in the end or how it was good for the economy: HE ENSLAVES BUT HE ALSO PROVIDES COTTON! Would love to see the look on Chappelle's face after the 4th or 5th joke in that theme.

>when dave reks the 24 year old in the audience
shit was funny.

>Hypocrisy
That's the joke

Dave. DAVE! It's the god damn cops. Let me handle this one.

Libshill fuck off. Noone outside your hubox gives a fuck about trannies.

Yeah it's tough shit. Gotta get over it. Pretty tough for all those women he raped too.

Who hasn't had someone they admired turn out to be a total fucking dick. It happens.

>cuz i'm dave chappelle

op is mad about the faggot jokes kek stupid queers.

>Chapelle

Didn't that guy sell out to the very same powers he fought against when he hosted SNL a while back?
They say "Black don't crack", but the dude looks like hes 50 something now.

Whats wrong he said a mean joke about the LGBT + QTSTYR FAGGOT / SJWs ?

Now the media is shitting on him?

Well there's a big surprise . I think I'm going to have a heart attack and died from that surprise .

They're turning on him just as he feared they would years ago if he ever went main stream again.

Honestly it's pretty funny be I don't think he intended that to be the joke nor realized it. It's honestly just the typical bitching you hear from Gen Xers

But I respect Cosby's game even more now

Dave is a foot fag. Sup Forums approved

I watched Texas and thought it was better, watched Age of Spin first.
I mean, both are pretty bad but the good jokes on texas were better IMO

>you can't rape feet

tumblr is gonna have a field day with that

obvious b8 is obvious

t. meme-spouting illiterate retard

George Carlin. Was brilliant over several decades (1970s, 80s, 90s, 00s). I'd say he peaked in the 90s and 00s.

t. HIV+ disease vector

You must be the wittiest kid in your seventh grade class.

> but there isn't anything redeeming about being a rapist
Taking what you want is pretty redeeming.

fuck dave shapelle and fuck black people

Best stand up ever i almost died when i heard he was coming back to do stand up i just want his next episodes now

but he saved more than he raped

Wouldn't ppl like Chapelle hate him for his "Holier-than-thou" approach to comedy? I mean, Murphy famously made a bit about him like 30 years ago

I'M GET TING TIRE D OF THIS SANDWICH BITE ING BITCH

People who think he was being a misogynist or homophobic missed the entire point of those jokes.

Different eras, Cosby didn't ring up Chapelle bitching about filth farn filth