Why don't modern horror films have any shred of artistic quality?

Why don't modern horror films have any shred of artistic quality?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7Me--xHG-mQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

But they have.

>no proof
Sure they do.

Frankensteins army?

Because they are taking their cues from Fulci films.

Compared to Fulci's post symbolism works, those are schlock with no meaning.

Still counts nerd

Art is about questioning the purpose of your existence on earth and serving that purpose. Fulci counts as art, his works are all an allegory to the inevitable suffering of life. Argento counts as art. Frankensteins Army is just some vulgar entertainment.

What about Rob Zombie's Halloween II?

I won't consider anything by this edgy faggot to be art.

>all these opinions paraded as facts
Nice

It's not an opinion. The greatest artists in history were all spiritual people. Bach, Michelangelo, Massaccio, Handel, Bruegel, Tarkosky, Thomas Mann, you name them. They seem to be the artists that are least prone to banality.

youtube.com/watch?v=7Me--xHG-mQ
>Shortly, It seems to me that in order to build any concept, in particular, a look at art, you need to first answer a different question, a lot more important and generalized. Why does a man live, what is the point of human existence? Using our being on this Earth in order to uplift ourselves spiritually. That means that art of ours must serve to that purpose. If, to say, I chose another principle and meaning of life for myself, evidently, art too would have a different meaning for me and I would have to make up something else. But as I define the meaning of human existence in that exact way, it seems to me that art too must help the man to evolve in that direction. Shortly, art serves to help people to change and grow spiritually. Don't know, there was a point of view that art is as educational as the rest of human intellectual and spiritual activity on this planet. I don't really believe in possibility of learning, I am almost an agnostic. Knowledge more and more distracts us from the main goal, from the main thought of our main knowledge of the world. So, the the more we know the less we know about it. We go in deep and thus lose the ability to take a bigger look at what we call life and the world. Art serves a man to help him, to say, soar spiritually, rise above himself, using what we call free will.

How is this wall of text relevant to the thread?

didn't Tarkovsky refer to Fulci as "repulsive trash"?

fair enough, I think its a pretty good film though

How about?
Inland Empire
Bug
Inside (2007)
Antichrist
The Devil's Backbone
Demon (2015)
Kairo
Under the Skin

A field in bongland

He only watched Zombi II, not The Beyond, and never read any of Fulci's interview. Also, he could only stand animal violence, not human.

Del Taco is pretty good. It's a shame he is stuck with the Kaiju scene.

Watch The Devil's Rejects by him.

These directors seem to treat horror and violence as entertainment. I have yet to see any modern director who treats horror as a catharsis. Fulci and Bava created horror because they were scared and tormented by those images, not because they liked them, and henceforth giving them a relevance to the question of the meaning of life.

Although, it was sort of a Fulci pastiche.

>These directors seem to treat horror and violence as entertainment. I have yet to see any modern director who treats horror as a catharsis.
I'm not sure that this really applies to Inland Empire. It's a fairly self-indulgent and masturbatory film, and I think the last thing Lynch tried to do was appease audiences or broadcast "entertaining" violence or degradation. It felt like he made it by himself, for himself because there was no way to sanitize or otherwise broadcast these ideas in his head.

Go back to your Marvel containment thread, moron.

Nah man, all those films I recommended have a lot of artistic quality. There's pretty much no violence at all in Demon. Any of the ones you haven't seen, you should give a watch. I also highly recommend Amer (2009). It's in three parts through a girls life, with each separate part a homage to Fulci, Bava, and Argento. The three famous giallo directors.

Lynch is a different case. He's a nihilist, and he creates nihilist artworks. It probably isn't entertainment, but it doesn't speak much either. He's an artist in a way Bunuel was (of course bunuel is better).

I'll try to watch that, but I don't think I can expect any powerful commentary that Don't Torture a Duckling and The Beyond delivered.

Demon isn't gory, but for me it isn't free of violence, I mean, some of the scenes are gruesome in a not gory way. Also, it seems to be more of an art film than horror film.

DEAD I AM THE ONE
EXTERMINATIN SON

Haneke is your guy. He does not direct horror in a horror perse but he will still disturb your soul after you watch his films.

Chads want realism and quips in their Horror flicks

The VVitch was pretty sound. Shot well and very period accurate. With plenty of artsy fartsy shit in it.

he isn't wrong about that, to say no horror films have no artistic merit these days is wrong, but he is totally correct about that

Agreed, and appreciated.

Tarkovsky talked a wealth of shit about a lot of people.

Whoa, you are blowin my mind right now, for real.