Do atheists have an objectively good reason to live?

Other urls found in this thread:

apa.org/topics/lgbt/orientation.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you?

No, and neither does anyone else.

1 post by this ID

Same reason everyone else does. Because I'm alive.

No

They should all be killed

Happiness

Someone need to lick the ass of his imam and shovel shekels towards it. That's his reason.

Atheist checking in.

I think simple curiosity to see how things turn out, for good or bad is as good a reason as any to hang around for as long as possible.

Then you're a fucking idiot.

Nothing else is going on except this moment.
The alternative is literally nothing, you might as well be something.

Yes. Life is good. If you need a holy book to not kill yourself, maybe it's time to seriously consider it faggot.

What's a religion's point of giving?

For example mudslimes would kill themselves and ruin so many people's lives just on a false notion that heaven awaits. But it doesn't.

>collecting pokemon

That doesn't sound too fulfilling

Objectively yes because humans have unlimited potential to discover,create,accumulate and share knowledge.We are the Universe experiencing itself.

Humanity is the one creature to live upon this earth that ever made anything significant of themselves, the first to not just be content to live in dirt and advance, to not be content in the comfort of their home and have the drive to see whats over the next hill, to not only look to the stars and wonder, but to reach for them and learn.

Humanity is here and every second we try to push forward, each day further than the last, just who the hell do you think we are?

Give ONE good reason why this entire planet shouldn't be nuked entirely.

atheist here
i have no good reason to live
i have no good reason to die

It doesn't matter anyway, religious people can still be depressed. Source: local bars filled with religious alcoholics.
No matter what you believe you'll justify whatever you're feeling and rationalize it.
I'm manic depressive so I'll flip here soon.

Is that enough to get you through the day if you're not an astronomer or something like that?

Yeah, they don't spend their fucking life worrying about getting into the next one, so they're naturally chill, and don't have to fear retribution from their shitty imaginary friend or the fan club

But you're happier with religion

I hate when retards add the word "objectively" because they think it makes them sound intelligent.

I understand not believing in an all-knowing creator, but I don't understand being totally atheist either. I think the world has had SOME kind of designer, probably even an imperfect one who didn't know exactly what they were doing.

But for an atheist to believe that everything is just a result of complete and utter nothingness. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Especially if they believe (as I do) that free will doesn't really exist: if everything is in a way already determined, then it speaks to the fact that there's something making these determinations.

It won't fix your tangible problems. The biggest thing about life is realizing that reality doesn't always sync with your emotions and comfort, you're just lucky enough to be born somewhere to sit somewhere long enough to worry about superficial things.

If you can delude yourself into believing in religion since most mainstream religions have no evidence to actually back up the things they claim except MUH HOLY BUK.

How can you live a fulfilling life if you believe you don't have free will?

>happier with some old Jewish text telling me everything I enjoy doing is wrong and that enjoying life is a sin, so I should go get on my knees and tell and old man to tell his sky fairy to forgive me

And you're just triggered because you can't refute it.

But you can also delude yourself that everything is shit because of your emotions. It goes both ways

Degeneracy and selfish "me" wants

how

There are some things that you can enjoy that would make you happier than just enjoying things at random

Except believing you have a special place in life and won't perish is an emotional reaction and desperation for comfort. The concept of God is a loving father figure for the father figureless. You might as well believe your computer goes to heaven as well. It's emotional reasoning, such as the cult of SJWism. Especially if your religion is Christianity which teaches self-hatred, inherent guilt, and is fueled by the No True Scotsman fallacy.

>get on my knees and tell and old man to tell his sky fairy to forgive me
This is not in the Bible at all. It is a Catholic lie. That said, christcuckoldry is not a reason to live. If anything the promise of heaven is a reason to end this miserable existence as soon as possible. Many early Christians actually requested to be put to death if arrested because they wanted to go to heaven rather than continue on here.

First of all, it means you believe in free will (very uplifting), it gets you to avoid spiritual and physical vice (a very damaging thing)

And it gives you the ability to have faith and hope for the future again

>just a result of complete and utter nothingness. >doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

But muh nothingness
But there are things we can't understand yet therefore muh deity exists
Cyclical Universe ? Nah, I don't understand which means we were made by some entity with magic and sheit

>it means you believe in free wil
>

>Except believing you have a special place in life and won't perish is an emotional reaction and desperation for comfort.

It's getting depressed and completely catatonically hopeless an emotional reaction as well?

It's not evolutionarily natural either. If most of our ancestors did that, the human species would have been extinct thus far

You become a Christian only if you have faith in free will

With the exception of some fringe, Protestant groups

What exactly is free will?

>Isn't* getting

That's rich.

The (limited) but present ability to choose outside of any direct or indirect outside influence

I surely hope you're not arguing that [things that make me feel good = the one truth].
I'm mostly arguing against any established religions because they're all designed for siphoning money to a centralized point, natural survival tactics when you live in buildings that are held up by charity you then must make a business of inciting that charity.

>no free will
>still judged by god for your actions
???

>be born gay
>sent to hell because you were born gay
???

Christianity aka mental gymnastics: the religion.
Now comes with brain damage, delusions of flying through clouds for eternity and fedora memes.

>I surely hope you're not arguing that [things that make me feel good = the one truth].

I'm arguing that religion is an evolutionarily necessary adaptation

It is an historically effective evolutionary antidote to the mind wondering chaotically without purpose without hope and in total randomness of thought and principles

Organised religion or not

You're not born gay

The science is currently out on that question

>What causes a person to have a particular sexual orientation?

>There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.

apa.org/topics/lgbt/orientation.aspx

That might be because it was useful to control masses of people without being able to survey them appropriately, very convenient when convincing people God literally chose you to rule them.
But why should one become religious? If your life sucks, a religion won't make the pain hurt less.

Do you at least acknowledge that none of them are true, regardless of the comfort it may or may not provide? There may or may be a god out there, or this could all just be the result of a quantum fluctuation and things that work, such as life, sprouted in the seemingly infinite existence. Wherever life occurs is where our consciousness manifests, that's why one certain scientist said that it only needs to happen once.
To have someone interpret something that should be incomprehensible is literally retarded.

I have been given the opportunity to live by the collective efforts of my ancestors. I must repay it by exterminating gypsies, sand niggers, niggers and kikes.

And before someone says the last statement is irony, I meant the fact that religious people claim that God's will is unknowable to mortals and then they tell you that God doesn't want you to fap. Why would God give a fuck, and that God wouldn't have to be benevolent either which would be very uncomforting. To imagine that your life is a game of dwarf fortress and when your algorithm runs into a death algorithm you cease to exist and God is done with your ass.

>But why should one become religious? If your life sucks, a religion won't make the pain hurt less.

Your life sucks partly because it's actually shit and partly because you've gotten into your mind that not only is it utterly shit (when it might not be *utterly* shit), but that there's just no way you could fucking get out of the shit you're in

Agnostic Religion (Agnostic Christianity) is the antidote to the delusion that your life is objectively beyond salvation

>Do you at least acknowledge that none of them are true, regardless of the comfort it may or may not provide?

The comfort does not necessarily mean they're true. But religions are beyond scientific testing, so there's nothing that may scientifically prove they're false either

>There may or may be a god out there, or this could all just be the result of a quantum fluctuation and things that work, such as life, sprouted in the seemingly infinite existence. Wherever life occurs is where our consciousness manifests, that's why one certain scientist said that it only needs to happen once.
>To have someone interpret something that should be incomprehensible is literally retarded.

It's incomprehensibly true, AND incomprehensibly false

You may never *scientifically* know

>And before someone says the last statement is irony, I meant the fact that religious people claim that God's will is unknowable to mortals and then they tell you that God doesn't want you to fap.

That "no fap" rule in Christianity is an evolutionary adaptation to further cement the unity of the religion by avoiding potentially vicious distractions which would be biologically unhealthy, and to preserve the cohesion of the religion (in case you develop a lust for a spouse outside of your religion or generally an obsession that would distract you from it)

Look up in the Bible: Colossians 3:17

>Why would God give a fuck, and that God wouldn't have to be benevolent either which would be very uncomforting.

The benevolence of God is through discipline and tough love. Not a permissive random arbitrary love

Crashing this planet
WITH NO SURVIVORS!

I am alive. death is a certainty and No one knows what comes after. Living a good life means creating an environment where I can live that good life. Good life means food, maintained infrastructure, low crime and engendering a communal warmth.

Without mentioning a god I've given you a pretty basic reason atheists want to live. Admittedly many of us are hit by a deep sadness when we stumble upon the belief that there is no God or afterlife which leaves us hollowed out. Some of us fill that hole with the idea that if life is short then gorge that tiny life with pleasure. These are your hedonistic degenerate atheists, like Russel Brand, Oberon Martel and most (probably) celebrities.

Other atheists realize that regardless of what happens to them after their death, the world will keep on spinning, with their children and the actions they took during their life still affecting the world. These are your legacy builders like Tywin Lannister, Vladimir Putin, Etc.

Still others want to know more about the world we live in, striving for knowledge, to make their mark in a scientific field. These are the plutocrats, The scientists like Bill Nye, black science man etc.

>Good life means food, maintained infrastructure, low crime and engendering a communal warmth.

Do you feel that's enough?

Ok ahmed.

>objectively
It takes an indemonstrable amount of arrogance to unironically use this word.

>It takes an indemonstrable amount of arrogance to unironically use this word.

Is this subjectively true then?

Then it is worthless

>Vice
Aren't churces boy rape central?
You have no moral authority. Just saying.

Hence my unironic use of the word indemonstrable.

Then that's merely your faith

It would only be faith if I made indemonstrable claims.

I'm not one of those supposedly Catholic priests

You claimed it takes arrogance to use the word objective

How convenient.

I said it takes an indemonstrable amount of it.

Is it viable to claim anyone has a model for objective morality? If so, explain.

Why are the most autistic frog posters christian.

Laughing at the god awful arguments religious people come up with for believing in god? Certainly keeps me going.

>You can't prove god DOEN'T exist!
Always a classic.

And is that demonstrable?

>Binging on drugs, food, women
>Covertly purging plebs and muslims
>Slim possibility of a political revolution that allows for openly purging plebs and muslims, also pillaging
>War tourism
>Sex tourism
>The suffering of your enemies
>Shooting sick ass guns at exploding targets from the back of an ATV
>Skydiving, mountain biking, bungee jumping, kayaking, hunting
>Seeing new technologies
>The outside chance of meeting extraterrestrial life and brutally conquering it in a genocidal campaign of interstellar war

If you're having existential problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a reason to live ain't one.

Clarify what you mean by viable

If nobody comes forth and demonstrates the amount of arrogance you display, then I'd say that's demonstrably indemonstrable.

A working model that, if utilized in society, would flourish.

That would be faulty reasoning.

Just because no one "comes forth to do it" doesn't mean it can't be done. Thinking otherwise is an Argument from Ignorance

Are you so shut-in that you have to point out fictional characters to make your point?

Tell me what you see as society flourishing as well

You're already alive, why not live? Especially if your life isn't completely shit. Hell even if it is complete shit, do something cool and outrageous with it. I bet being a child soldier in africa would be pretty cool, guns and murder and cocaine as far as the eye could see for the few years I'm actually alive before getting shot myself.

For everyone in general though? Novelty. Especially if this is your only chance at life might as well try to experience as much novelty as possible, considering how crazy it is that life even exists in the first place.

For me? In all seriousness? Weed. Knowing at the end of the day I have that waiting for me makes pretty much anything bearable. The good feels and the creativity it brings. Even during long stretches of time where I haven't been able to use any at all (mostly while going to college for engineering since it fucked up my studies) I knew some day I'd be able to get high again, so it makes it all worth it.

And before you get into degeneracy shit, I don't do any hard drugs, not even alcohol. Hangovers and cirrhosis of the liver are shit.

One? Did you miss his whole point dummy?

so you faggot christians are living because you think you're gonna keep living after you die?? hahahahahahahaha kys

>Aren't churces boy rape central?
No, some, but no. Men are corruptable, Humanity is Sinful, from the lowest beggar to the king of kings and everyone in between.

It's not a black mark on Christianity, for without Christianity our societies buckle under the weight of degeneracy and sin in every aspect of life.

only mentally challenged people are happier with religion

True.

That's why I specifically expressed it as an opinion.

Does having weed make you fulfilled?

Chance of you coming to this world is minimum as fuck. You are given thei opportunity. That's the best reason.

For a simple life yeah. I'm talking rural Bush ranger simple though. If you want a nation of space faring atheists you're gonna need a bit more then some grub and a cuddle

I always thought existentialism and in particular absurdism were very helpful to overcoming whatever existential crises I might have had in the past, though. Learning about the true nature of life helped a lot in figuring out what I should logically do with the rest of my life, which is, in a basic sense, seeking pleasure and avoiding pain in the most efficient and comfortable way possible.

That said maybe that picture is right and I just forgot I was playing the existentialism game? Who knows?

We're all happier with religion

We're mentally challenged without it

Whatever you want it to mean in the sense of good. No crime/killing, good conditions, etc. Just the basics of something everyone could potentially get behind

Do you want a nation of space faring atheists?

So only theists can talk about their fictional characters, got it.

The amount of children raped by priests is huge.

You're still only merely listing that it makes you feel good and has practicality, and yet you're still believing in something that isn't true which is the definition of delusion. Would lying to yourself make yourself feel better? Sure, but you're still living a lie and if you believe that you're more aware because of this you're chin deep in double-think.

Power corrupts.

Why would you give a serious response to someone who went to such great lengths to explain to you that they should not be taken seriously?

>Is there a working model of objective morality that, if utilized in society, would lead to no crime/killing, good conditions, etc. Just the basics of something everyone could potentially get behind

Traditionalist Agnostic Christianity

Fully compatible with using reason and the scientific method in technologies (Instrumentalism), and with avoiding the moral degeneracy of that society into vice, crime and nihilism (the Traditional part of it)