TRAVELS TO GLORIOUS BRITANNIA

H-hi Sup Forums, sorry to bother you again, but there's been a slight change in plans.

I now have three days to spend in England with a britrail pass (I can go on any train at any time), and that kind of fucks up my plans because I only planned to spend a day or two there.

Anyway, my plan was Winchester to Oxford to York, but now I need to really fill that the fuck up. Moreover, on my fifth day of travels (fourth day is durham to edinburgh), I need a cool scenic place to visit outside of Edinburgh, no more than 2 hours (or so) away by train.

So anyway, towns and stuff to visit would be really appreciated. Again I'll be on train so England is my oyster for a full three days. My goal is to get a taste of the different regions, *avoid shitskins*, and immerse myself in traditional British culture/architecture.

I'm starting off in London (after three days there) and will be visiting Cumbria later by default. The three days will start from the first city (which can be anywhere). The itinerary just has to be reasonable, time wise.

Side note: Please dear God someone dissuade me from going to Oxford

/trv/ told me I should see specific sites instead of just going to cities at random, but I don't know what to see? Anyway, I'm fucking lost and have no idea what to plan out.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sjGhzyR_eo8
xhamster
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>britrail pass

Never heard of this and we have many different train companies so make sure it definitely works on the essentials like Arriva and shit

It works on every single train in the UK (including sleepers, but you have to reserve those). It's only for North Americans.

340 (youth) got me 8 consecutive days.

Durham is a dive imo. Make sure you see Hadrian's wall. Northumberland national park is the side you'd come from ideally.
In Scotland any of the national parks are worth a visit. I'd say most are only a short train ride away.

This is the opposite of everything I've heard thus far, barring the national park thing (which I'll look into).

I'd recommend going to Oxford. It is a nice town. Get a tour of the university. See the library. One of the oldest in the world still functioning if not the oldest. Get a trip on the river. Go to the pub CS Lewis and Tolkien drank at.
Walk the walls in York. Go to Betty's tea shop (goat) srs. See the cathedral.
Edinburgh. Go to the castle obviously. You can visit the place JK Rowling wrote HP. Eat fresh sea food.
Skip Durham if possible. Impressive cathedral, but not much else.
You should stop in Yorkshire. Whitby possibly with it''s famous abbey that inspired Dracula.
Mostly I'd recommend castles. Warwick castle. I think Edinburgh might have one of the imperial war museums which is always worth a visit. Warkworth castle isn't too far from Durham.

Cumbria is definitely a good shout. There is a difference between Scotland and Northern England national parks but they are all good.

You been told Durham is good? The wall is bad?
Completely false. I nearly went to uni at Durham. I didn't go because it looked boring and felt tiny.

Can you go into the university without being in a tour?

What's at betty's tea shop??

Is the cathedral not worth it? It's next to the rail if I'm not mistaken, so it's just a quick hour or so stop.

I'd stop at Whitby (or this other fishing town who's name eludes me atm) if they were on the rail lines

I'll look into Warwick castle

Yes I've been told Durham is worth half a day or so in, and that the wall is just boring rocks. Boring and tiny is fine for me as long as I get something out of the experience. Winchester is pretty small as well, for example, but I suspect Ill enjoy it.

I just enjoyed walking along the wall and seeing some of the forts.
Look into some of the castles that might be on your journey. But again I'd reccomend the Imperial war museums. Lots of cool suits of Armour etc there. Not just British stuff.

Yeah the Uni is built into the city and most of it is completely open. Stuff like the Bodleian library all you need to do is get or tour or go in as a reader. You have to swear an oath not to deface books if you do that.
Betty's is just a really nice tea shop. Really nice food, scones sandwiches etc. Also has lots of cool teas and coffees. Usually has a very large queue though.
If visiting the cathedral and the river Durham is ok. Don't fall in though lots of drunk students die doing that.
Also I recommend hiring a rowing boat and rowing on a lake in the Lake district (Cumbria).

Alright, thanks.

Make sure you visit the Natural History Museum in London. The building itself is fucking incredible, and they've got a ton of cool fossils (including the first-discovered missing-link between birds and dinosaurs, archaeopteryx). Also, there are usually way less tourists than at the British Museum, which is fucking unbearably crowded all the time.

Only concern there is that I'd be spending time looking at fossils and shit while I could be looking at British stuff.

Speaking of which. I have two days in London, with no fucking clue as to how to spend them.

I made this a while ago but the thread I made it for died. London's not as quintessentially british as the rest of the country, but the posh areas have nice architecture. Also, don't pay £50 to go to the top of the Shard - go to the Walkie-Talkie instead 'cause it's free.

If you want to avoid shitskins, stay the hell away from London.

I can't speak for much of England but when you reach Edinburgh there are a few places I'd recommend: the castle is overpriced and you'd be better off at the national museum; Arthur's Seat is also a good climb. When looking for pubs, restaurants: go for simpler ones with older style architecture away from the city centre, as you'll be less likely to fall victim to Fringe prices.

Also: there's a little Vodka bar on Jackson's Close, just off the Royal Mile called "Secret Arcade" that I'd recommend.

This helps a fuckton.

What cities do you consider quintessentially British? Is Bath one of them?

Go to Lincoln, it's not far off your route, and the cathedral quarter is not a long way to walk to from the station, as well as the most picturesque. You can see the magna carta and the factory where the first tank was built 100 years ago during world war one.

Do you mean "quintessentially British" in a meme term, or genuinely?

If you want actual white Britain, avoid London, Birmingham and Glasgow. True Britain is in the little towns and smaller cities.

Visit Worcester! It's beautiful and welcoming

At many times of year you can look around the colleges at Oxford and Cambridge. The buildings are pretty cool.

Hard for me to make it there, since the trains are all fucked. It does look very nice tho.

I'm visiting London regardless (have to do it at least once, like NY). Out of the cities/towns worth seeing that are white, what would you suggest?

You don't sound thrilled with Bath.

In a sense. The Roman baths there are incredible and they've been British for 2 millenia even if Romans built them.

The Baths themselves I don't care all that much about. I hear the city is really "British", and it's surrounded by countryside.

Make sure you visit the countryside

If you've got time you could always check out Wales

British museum is cool. You could literally spend 5 days in there.

You can go to Shakespeare's globe (replica) and watch a play for £5 (more if you want to sit.)

There are lots of craft beer pubs.. and lots of international food (use TripAdvisor).

Bath is quite British (cool Roman ruins, too), Cambridge is nice, so's Windsor (if you're near, definitely get a tour of Eton College), but your best bet for 'British' is just the countryside in general, and Lake District is the best for landscape.

In London, you could spend a morning around Hyde park, seeing the Royal Albert Hall and the Memorial, at least going into the atrium of the Natural History Museum for the Gothic/Victorian architecture, then you can walk beside the Serpentine in Hyde Park along to Buckingham Palace, then up the Mall to Trafalgar Square, then down Whitehall, past No 10, to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and the HoP. It'll be touristy, but it basically covers the main things to see in London, besides Tower Bridge/Tower of London, which are next to each other further down the river.

Thanks a bunch mate.

go to Bath, and the isle of purbeck

I'm going to be visiting the lake district and staying a few days in a small town in Cheshire

Holy fuck this is a really great route. I'll probably just do this. Is it possible to do the route and the Tower in two days, assuming minimal stoppage?

Just go to a Wetherspoons or some social club and get drunk on some shitty english beer while watching football for authentic experience

There is not a lot too see in UK besides London and Oxbridge, if you are travelled UK won't impress you at all

t. European studying in UK

>Europeans in charge of knowing anything about the UK

which non-country are you from?

This is incredibly discouraging.

Thanks, user.

Prague mate

Don't get me wrong, I love UK and I'm grateful that I can study here but compared to other European cities UK just doesn't seem so impressive in terms of tourism.

Come to St Andrews :) I live in a small coastal town not far from there and we see a decent amount of Russian and Serbian young, fit, handsome tourist men at my local pub! They don't usually speak English until a fit, handsome, young American gentleman tourist in the pub tells them to :p

what is this post

Betty's tea room is in Harrgate you retarded fuck.

If you get up at a sensible time, you can do the Tower of London and Tower bridge in the morning before they get too busy (shouldn't take long), and then take the tube from Tower Hill (5 mins from Tower Bridge) along the District or Circle line to South Kensington, have lunch at one of the places by the station (Pret a Manger, Comptoir Libanais, Dim Sum, Sushi, Creperie) then walk up to Exhibition Road and spend the afternoon/early evening doing the walk. Should be done easily in one day, but if you actually want to do the museums properly, that'll take a day itself. I'd advise you to just go into the entry hall of the NHM, and maybe look at some of the V&A. While the British museum is far busier, if you go there early the next morning on a weekday, it should be somewhat more bearable and you'll actally be able to see the Rosetta Stone instead of a ton of Chinks' cameras.

Good pick with Winchester man, it's a really interesting place to visit and walk around. The Cathedral is great and there are lots of interesting places to walk around. Also though it is closed to public you can still walk around the Winchester College. A good pub at the end of the highstreet (towards the river) is called The Black Buoy. Loads of cool shit like stuffed animals etc. The Winchester Hotel and Spa is a good place to stay. If you have a car rented Hampshire has great countryside.

Also in Winchester you can find the statue of Alfred, BTFOer of Scandinavians.

Those are some top locations you've picked. I think Cambridge is better than Oxford though.

Somewhere outside Edinburgh that may be worth a visit, over the rail bridge, passing through all the nice little villages in Fife

You should visit Bath, it's England's finest city for architecture

So thick he doesn't realise there are around 6 Betty's tea shops. One in York, one in Ilkley, one in Harrogate etc.

kys mongoloid

Okay, I think Fife is officially where I'm heading to then. It's not in the highlands tho, is it? I kind of wanted to get that experience as well.

Thanks man. I'll forward this to my mom (she'll be with me in London). Top-tier itinerary.

Thanks man. A bit of digging led me to it. I'll be staying in some room or something, via airbnb.

Cambridge too far off. Plus a local told me to avoid it at all costs.

I'll fit it in.

Go to Cumbria.

No wogs.
All white people.
Good weather.
Hadrians wall.
Friendly people.
Carlisle Castle.
The occasional Pole.
Pure Britishness.

I would love to give you a tour around the UK mate but I'm not home anymore.

Should have made this thread a month ago.

I like you Russians. You're welcome in my country.

SHROPSHIRE
youtube.com/watch?v=sjGhzyR_eo8

Fuck I said thanks man twice.

but no seriously, thanks for the feedback lmao.

Hadrian's wall worth seeing?

And yeah, I'm psyched for the lake district. People have told me Cumbria is Britain's hidden gem.

Stratford upon Avon is worth it, especially if you are a Shakespeare fan. Wells is pretty special and scenes from Hot Fuzz are everywhere Yarp. The cheddar gorge is good too if you are down there but getting round their could be an arse on. Bit like getting to Whitby. Glasgow might be better than Edinburgh if you are more social but Edinburgh for the classical sights.

If you admire Roman architecture.

You can go hiking around Carlisle and visit the lake district.

Also I recommend going on a bus so you can see the beautiful view(farms and hills).

It's only a 3-4 hour bus ride from Manchester Central station.

Everyone is friendly.

The Britain is in small towns and cities not in shitholes like London and Manchester.

It is if it's nice weather. But rain is part and parcel of the north of England.

>York
Comfy as fuck, good choice user. Make sure to walk the walls and visit the Minster, they're the main attractions. There's also York Castle to visit as well as the Markets, which are pretty good too.

If you're willing to spend any more time in Yorkshire, you should also visit some coastal towns like Scarborough or Whitby, they've got a lot of history to them and are make for a good day out by the seaside overall.

Edinburgh is also a good choice. Besides the obvious choice of the Castle there's still a lot to do. It's also one of the few British cities (York as well) that isn't part of New Pakistan.

Not much I can say about the South though as I usually go to shitty places like London.

Stop lying to yourself, outside of London everything is boring and shit. Nothing ever happens.

Cumbrian Brit here. Cumbria is nice, on a pol side, very few nigs, muslims, 99% white.

On a regular tourist side. Carlisle is a tourist mecca, Carlisle Castle (very old, very big), Hadrians Wall, fuckin old Cathedral, big shopping area. Keswick is amazing if you like countryside. Barrow is a shithole, Workington is a shithole, Whitehaven is a shithole by the sea.

Basically if you want history, Carlisle. If you want nature, hills, lakes, boats, Keswick. But you can't go wrong with Cumbria, I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Yeah those other sites are noe's.

And I'm def more interested in Edinburgh (wherein I'm meeting a special friend :))

Very encouraging. I sure wish I could make my way over to the coastal towns, I'm just not sure there are any rails down that way (since I'm limited on time and it's all pre-paid, rails are my only choice for travel).

I'm thinking of going to St Ives Sunday night (my trip is monday to friday), and then working up from there to get that coastal experience.

Only if you're an asocial autist who spends most of his days jacking off to anime and shitposting on a Vietnamese Farming commune(you).

At least I can go out and see white people and not get robbed unlike you filthy Londonistaners

This.
Carlisle is absolutely wonderful.

Very friendly people.

I've been told to avoid Carlilse (reasons being that it's a nice city, but it's not unique and time is better spent elsewhere)

I will keep the names of those towns in mind tho, user.

I don't make a habit of trying to be social with old smelly men with flat caps. Literally everyone and everything interesting is in London.

Theres something to do constantly.

I have never been mugged once before. I'm sorry you're such an easy target for people.

t. Sadi Khan

Eid Mubarak to you marra.

I'll try to fuck as much Muslima as I can. Make London British again by impregnating quintessentially British "people".

London is ironically the least British place you can go in England;

London City is mostly filled up with people from everywhere BUT Britain.

I strongly recommend you visit Cumbria, I'm not from there but it really is beautiful, and quintessentially english.

For architecture, I strongly suggest visiting Liverpool. it's night-life is rivalled only by Newcastle and London. It has more grade II listed buildings than anywhere in Britain outside London. It's similar to Edinburgh in how quaint it is. Visit pretty much any other british city, and all you'll get is ugly, modern brutalist architecture. Lots of world-famous, bucket-list tourist spots in Liverpool too, like the Cavern Club (where the Beatles played, but I'd recommend visiting the Jacaranda, just round the corner, the REAL place they started their career, which is a very cool bar) I'd also recommend to anyone the "Beatles experience" museum; If you're into your music, you won't be disappointed.

There is also the Liverpool Waterfront, the Albert Docks, two cathedrals, two football stadiums, one of the best shopping centres in Europe... it really is an interest city to consider.

This guy gets it.

I think the other guy is just memeing tho. Nobody on Sup Forums who's a native brit unironically likes the current "multiculti" iteration of London.

I will be spending a day in Liverpool.

I don't care about the Beatles, nightlife, or shopping, but I hear it's nice.

I still believe in Britain.

I've been recently been to France and Germany and it was absolutely terrible.

France especially.

In the UK we only have a few shitty multiculti shitholes (Manchester, London, Birmingham, Bradford) while France has whole regions of shitskinnery.

The only white part of France is Bretagne.

Met some White French women from Bretagne and they were absolutely retarded.. Love their accents though.

Guess what I'll be wearing while I'm there lmao

>tfw leicester
>45% british city

>Literally everyone and everything interesting is in London
You're right, literally everyone except fucking Brits live in London.

When I visited there (in 2013) it was summed up as this;
Greater London is Muslim/South Asian
Central London is full of American, French and German Tourists (not really a problem), a lot of Africans, even more Muslims and South Asians, and a few Chinese to boot.

Visiting London for the first time was what made me realize what was happening to Europe.

Kek.

You should wear a Vladimir Putin tshirt in London so you piss off a lot of lefties.

>Leicester.

Didn't know it was that bad.

Saw a bunch of Gyppos when I was in Ipswich and I thought it was a lost cause.

was going to suggest this but the train only stops at leuchars. St Andrews is lovely though OP. Leuchars is about ten minutes drive away IIRC so would be a short taxi. Hell you wanna try something new there's a skydiving centre just outside St Andrews too.

There's a railway line that goes along the cliff and out across the sea in Wales. Absolutely beautiful. If you just google 'most beautiful train trips UK' or something like that you'll find it. Doesn't get much comfier than that.

Why is this thread not on Sup Forums?

this is from 2011

Because the /brit/ threads in Sup Forums are full unfriendly autists.

fife ain't quite the highlands. Up from St Andrews (just over another bridge) is Dundee if you want to see some wildlife. Highlands is north still. Not a huge distance, I've driven Edinburgh to Skye in a day before, but probably too much travelling if you've only got a day up here. Do you/can you drive?

And I bet all of those non-whites are thousand times more interesting than you.

Also the men get considerably more hideous and short and fat the further you are from London. All the sexy guys from the continent come straight to London.

Tall, nice hair, dressed well, work out, have good jobs.

Not like the degenerates that occupy this forum crying about non-whites while living in little hovels.

>Pakis
>Poo in loos

Fucking hell.

I remember spending a night at Manchester central coach station when I was late for my coach, fucking hell I never despised them until that.

A bunch of drunk paki "youths" trying to cause a scene.

Seen a bunch of Anjem Choudary looking pakis in Manchester and Birmingham.

Nuke that place to oblivion.

This board really isn't just a political board anymore. The Janitors let things run how we want them so we've turned into this odd bastard board.

Flags ruined this board.

There used to be discussions about politics all the time now it's just cuck memes and race bait shit.

this and other popular boards are now unironically full of anime hating normalfags

No, flags ruined the board for subpar countries who think they have relevant opinions.

Without flags how could I judge an opinion without knowing if it was from Brazil or Britain?

Go to Belgravia, Kensington, Chelsea, Mayfair, etc. and it's all white with a few sheikhs. Yes, the tourist traps are full of tourists (you can't make a judgement on all of central London from the touristy bits), and their are poor areas which are basically Muslim/Indian ghettos, but the rest is decent.

>That girl
Hnnnng! Looks exactly like my ex.

>Please dear God someone dissuade me from going to Oxford

The buildings are lovely but ground level is a shithole, I think as long as you take in nice architecture elsewhere you can either skip it or make it a flying visit.

If you're in the Ox/Bucks area you might want to check out Stowe House and the landscape gardens if you can get entry. They're gorgeous and the setting is nice and rural.

Aside from that you seem to have a good set of suggestions in this thread, have fun.

xhamster .com/photos/view/366501-5570552.html#content

Go to Peak District, Lake District, Cotswolds etc.

I'll wear the farage one. More appropriate.

I'll look into it

Only trains my man. I couldn't rent even if I wanted to, I'm 19. Any highland towns you could recommend that are within reasonable distance?

Fuck it, I'm just gonna visit the campus and be done with it.

Does anyone here like prog? Anywhere I can go in terms of prog tourism?

>pic unrelated
Canterbury is too far.

What is "prog"? I've never heard this term before.

>And I bet all of those non-whites are thousand times more interesting than you.

They probably are. I'm sure a life of Crime is very exciting.

My sides.

You just got rekt harder than a Rotherham slag. Go home Abdul.

Avoid Oxford at all costs. It's literally a shit head liberal magnet drawing in all the worst of the worst from all over the UK. 70% even voted to stay in the EU. Guildford's nice, Chichester too

I am also visiting England for another Teo days. Was in Oxford for a full day yesterday, my god what a complete mess.

People filling Every corner of every street, and i hoped To dodge alot of people by going on a tuesday afternoon.

Oxford is NOT what you might picture it, the colleges are interesting sure, but you hardly get To experience them as you might want To.

Oxford is a meme, Much like Cambridge was. (Went there last year)

I have found the surrounding small Towns such as Malmesbury and Tetbury far more enjoyable. Alot of beautiful sights To be seen around these Towns aswell, National Trust is really doing a wonderful job.

Pic related is a crappy pic of Malmesbury

Progressive rock

But the campus?

So skip Oxford? The campus not worth?

Definitely skip Oxford. The architecture really is not worth it, others have mentioned Bath.

If you can go there, I was there a few days ago an it really is beautiful. It is situated in a valley of sorts so the buildings are built in what can be described as levels.

Gorgeous city and not at all as crowded as Oxford, the Pump room is a must see if you choose To go.

you can go there but the atmosphere (in terms of people) is not traditional Britain. For instance many students there got offended by the Cecil Rhodes statue as they saw it as imperialistic

I can't tell if this is a photo or a painting

Okay I'll skip Oxford. Thank fuck.

Of course you don't skip Oxford, there are so many unique little things to see there. Interesting to British history and culture.

You're going to fucking go to all the shitty poor areas of Britain in your quest to avoid literally every single person with melanin.

Go to Grimsby or Hull or some shit, everyone is white poor working class chavs disgusting littered hovels. You'll love it.

you can drive at 17 over here but yeah, 5 days ain't a lot of time to learn. Most of the nice bits I've seen have been west coast. Would really consider St Andrews given the amount of time you have. You'd want a couple of days to see the highlands as things are quite sparse up there.

Fish of Marillion fame lives just outside the town I work in, about 15 minutes from Edinburgh. Decent guy but I don't know how he'd feel about you rocking up. His daughter is fine too.

"he doesn't want to be inundated with shitskins and non-brits!"
"haha go to grimsby then faggot haha britain is a multicultural country fuck off racist"

Nice try, ahmed.

Yeah but the rental age is usually higher.

I don't want to meet anyone so much as I'm wondering if there's any like prog related stuff there. Virtually every band I listen to is from Britain, it just would seem unusual that there not be any remnants of them in the home country.

Just for tourists apparently.

>"Not available in your region
>BritRail Passes are not available for sale in >the UK. Please consider British rail tickets for >your journey."

Whitby is nice. I live here; my town has the best fish and chips you'll ever taste.
It's not far from York. If you have a pass for the trains, then it's easy to reach.
Buses are cheaper, though. They take more time to travel.