/lbg/ - letterboxd general

Print damage edition.

Previous thread: >Not sure what letterboxd is all about?
The mission of /lbg/ is to promote the intelligent discussion of film as art by providing members with opportunities for intellectual discussion, by recognizing patrician taste through examinations and by calling out embryos as they arise.

>Haven't got an account? Follow this link and sign up today!
letterboxd.com

>News
user makes list of the greatest art films ever made: user remembers Tomas Milian: user recommends a book: Use as a link to find the /lbg/ thread.

Remember the following:
>Patricians occasionally read these generals and have posted here before.
>Patricians may pretend to be normal users asking for recommendations and when you recommend something, they laugh at you for your plebian taste
>This is a thread for patrician purposes only don't offer or expect frivolous discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/
youtube.com/watch?v=sRKZ4MfCeA8
letterboxd.com/cancer/
letterboxd.com/machill54/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Recommended me some films

>No QOTD

Which kind of films are you interested in?

Greatest art films ever made (propoganda disconcerned due to affiliation with state or body of people rather than individual; realism and historical/societal/psychological/documentarian focus; adaptations dismissed for being connected with other medium; emphasized skillful cinematic technique of subtle suggestions and forceful participation of audience; dismissal of "trash" genres): The Life and Passion of JesusChrist, Life of an American Fireman, A Day in the Hayfields, The Red Man's View, A Corner in Wheat, Defence of Sevastopol, In the Land of the HeadHunters, The Life of General Villa, The Italian, Children of Eve, After Death, Pool Sharks, Intolerance, The Immigrant, Black Orchids, The Little American, The Life Story of David Lloyd George, The Outlaw and His Wife, Alkohol, La Fete Espagnole, The Daughter of Dawn, The Penalty, El Dorado, Nanook of the North, Manhatta, Rhythmus 21, Shattered, Grandma's Boy, Tol'able David, Crainquebille, OsFaroleiros, La Femme de nulle part, Our Hospitality, Cops, The Wolves 1923, Cœur fidèle, Le Retour à la Raison, New Year's Eve, The Street, Ballet Mecanique, The Light of Asia, The Girl from Carthage, Five Minutes of PureCinema, Grass: A Nation's Battle for Life, Sea Dreams, Symphony Diagonale,The Epic of Everest, The Great White Silence, Faces of Children, Moana, Ménilmontant, Nothing But Time, The Society Documents Itself, Anemic Cinema, Broken Hearts of Hollywood, Berlin Symphony of a Metropolis, Napoleon, King of Kings, Twenty-Four Dollar Island, Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness, München-BerlinWanderung, The Love of Zero,The Battles of Coronel and Falkland Islands, Oktober,

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/

The Big City, Les Mystères du Château de Dé, Theme et varitions (Theme and Variations), Debrug, Nass River Indians, Blue Bottles, The Italian Straw Hat, White Shadows in the South of Seas, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Cock-Eyed World, Drifters, Finis Terræ, Melody of the World, Nazaré, Praia de Pescadores, Man With a Movie Camera, Rain, Borderline, Aimless Walk, People on Sunday, A propos de Nice, Under the Roofs of Paris, Tabu, The Blood of a Poet, Limite, Autumn Fire, The Sea of Ravens, The Miracle Woman, Night Nurse, Working Girls, Fugitive from a Chain Gang, I Was Born, But..., Red Headed Woman, Kameradschaft, Labor on the Douro River, Daïnah lamétisse, Borinage, Midnight Mary, The Land Sings, The Gold Diggers of 1933, Medium-Class Train, The Great Consoler, A Man's Castle, The Power and the Glory, Our Daily Bread, L'atalante, Legong, An Optical Poem, The Plow That Broke the Plains, Pepe le Moko, Redes, Night Mail, How You See It 1936, Make Way For Tomorrow, Holiday, The Edge of the World, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Rules of the Game,

Christmas in July, Moods of the Sea, Citizen Kane, In Which We Serve, To Be or Not to Be, Le ciel est à vous, Neecha Nagar, Let There Be Light, La Terra Trema, Battleground, Antoine et Antoinette, Paris 1900, Living in Shadows, The Bodyguard, Rashomon, Children of Hiroshima, This is Cinerama, Interim, I Vinti, The Earrings of Madame De, Little Fugitive, I Vitelloni, Go, Man, Go!, On the Waterfront, Journey to Italy, The Phoenix City Story, 8 x 8 A Chess Sonata in 8 Movements, Moi Un Noir, Le Beau Serge, 400 Blows, A Movie, The Beat Generation, Come Back Africa, Araya, Bridges Go-Round, Harvest of Shame, Very Nice, Very Nice, The Savage Eye, Primary, The Exiles, The Connection, Chronicle of a Summer, Paris Belongs to Us, Il Sorpasso, Winter light, Le Joli Mai, The Cool World, Contempt, Cleopatra, Flaming Creatures, 21-87, Point of Order, Castro Street, Songs, 60 Cycles, Au Hasard Balthazar, Andrei Rublev, Empire, Imitation of Christ, Wavelength, The Movie Orgy, Symbiopsychotaxiplasm, The Deserters and the Nomads, Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice, Medium Cool, Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son, MASH, The Selling of the Pentagon, Le Vent D'est, Wanda, Husbands, La Région centrale, Out 1, Hollis Frampton's Nostalgia, Inferential Current, The Last Movie, The Slightest Gesture, Badlands, Hearts and Minds, Nashville, F for Fake, Grey Gardens, Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles, Harlan County USA, How Yukong Moved the Mountains, Rome '78, Real Life, Camera Buff, Hollywood 1980, Fitzcarraldo, L'Ange, Sans Soleil, Koyaanisqatsi, A Tale of the Wind, Three Colors Trilogy, Close-Up, A Brighter Summer Day, Pulp Fiction, Hoop Dreams, American Movie, Timecode, Star Spangled to Death, Cinematon, The Clock, Life in a Day, Sweet Grass, Norte the End of History, Goodbye to Language, Boyhood, Cameraperson.

*How does it feel having the most important taste in film?

>propoganda disconcerned
>Oktober

>realism
define realism

Oktober is not propaganda, a recounting of events

>October was one of two films commissioned by the Soviet government to honour the tenth anniversary of the October Revolution

A recounting of events, not made in the interest of manipulation

What's up with the translation of the title? Doesn't coups mean cuts? Why they name it 400 Blows?

'Death by a thousand cuts' is an English expression that maybe more closely approximates the original French title. Often distributors make these decisions. Who knows what happened here?

youtube.com/watch?v=sRKZ4MfCeA8

Then your criteria doesn't exclude propaganda.

Answer the other question. I believe what counts as realism is broader than you think.

I want to commend you on your exploration of silent cinema, young developing cinephile!

Oktober is not propaganda.

My definition of realism derives from here, "a systematic relationship of history, the here and now, and real dreams giving insight into behavior and psychology"!

Rate, comment, subscribe.

Also what's with this guy spamming? Did someone upset him? lmao

Why does the OP always favor like the same three posters (machill and the pretentious autist)?

And why OP are you also so quick to make a new thread. This one was up before the last thread hit the bump limit?
Do you feel like it gives you authorship to the general?

OP here, I'm a massive faggot degenerate who likes cocks up his arse and yes

Yes, hard to guess who's behind this surely...

And then ''''user'''' feels free to use his special shitposting autism to attack /lbg/.
But now with fear, so no more little niggers.

It is. It was made to glorify the strength and achievement of the soviet people while berating and mocking the old government.

So it wouldn't negate other realist branches of thinking like metaphysical realism. Films like Ordet and L'Avventura could be included.

>!
Was that really necessary?

Why is he so overrated?

>while berating and mocking the old government.
You need to reevaluate the definition of propaganda.

>Films like Ordet and L'Avventura could be included.
Other films by those directors are already included

Refer to the criteria and the book suggested here if you need further explanation, developing cinephile!

If one of my favorite movies is something i am aware is pleb trash, what other films should i put around it so that film experts dont judge me?

One of the greatest comedies!

Is this an art film?

Why is he so underrated? What they try to do by erasing his legacy is nothing less than astonishing. Even his ignored later career is enormously ahead of its time. Sally of the Sawdust preceded Bresson by several decades.

>film experts
You are not at risk of finding any of them here

>You need to reevaluate the definition of propaganda.
You do.

But those are THE films by those directors.

I replied because I have and was unclear on certain points given the broadness of the criteria and some contradictory selections.
I feel like I'm being assaulted when ever I see excessive exclamation marks.

>Mann
MY MAN

Literally on what planet?

It's very true. Even I, the most knowledgable one here, am not a film expert because so many incredible gems have been lost!

Who is this for? Yourself?

>But those are THE films by those directors.
Not in MY list they aren't! And one of yours suggested is an adaptation!

You're just a retard with nothing better to do than shitpost.( Now with epic exclamation points!).
When you watch a film, you offend that film, being the creature you are.

It is to document the ever-growing canon and to hopefully educate others and possibly have them suggest more if they follow the aforementioned criteria with historical significance.

Sally of the Sawdust preceded Bresson by several decades.
Bresson came into this world over two decades before it was released.

So you read a book on film and now you think your an export? You can hardly articulate your thoughts.
>but my poster collection! I-I've definitely seen all these films

Well YOUR list is shit.
>adaptions can't be including
>ignoring the transformative quality of film

>So you read a book on film and now you think your an export?
I didn't say I was an expert, I said I was the most knowledgeable one here!

Is this an art film?

But as it is it's absolutely valueless. Your ridiculous, unjustifiable-to-anyone-serious criteria make it just an assortment of films.
And even more so when your 'education' simply means posting it constantly on this general of all places.

>the most knowledgeable one here
Why does this stupid title matters so much to you?

>But as it is it's absolutely valueless
It's value lies in the titles listed! They are crucial in the development of film language!

letterboxd.com/cancer/

*Its

I won't have anyone that posts on this site imply they know more than me about the medium of film!

>Grandma's Boy
Wow, so valuable.

The titles listed would compose a group of greatness, yes, by themselves. But your claims of 'greatest' exclusively there and ridiculous criteria make it, on that prospect, valueless.

You're not even pretending anymore you're not here just to shitpost

Yes, Harold Lloyd is one of the most important figures in silent cinema! Grandma's Boy, in particular, pioneered feature-length comedies about regular human foibles

How did it pioneer?

By implementing comedic techniques that propel the narrative forward as well as being one of the biggest box office successes of its day!

And what are those implemented comedic techniques and how do they propel the narrative.

When did you finally get honest with yourself and admit you prefer him to John Ford?

Through compilation of Llyod's techniques from his shorts into a coherent narrative, the courtship of the girl, the flashback sequence, and the character arc of Lloyd's character, developing cinephile!

One Brett Ratner is worth ten John Fords.

this tbqhwyf

And what's the value of compiling already proven techniques into a narrative? How is that pioneering?

Not all of the techniques used are found in his shorts. Certainly a lot of the sight gags and touching character moments such as the handholding sequence were freshly innovative and poignant. But if you genuinely have to ask how a large box office success character comedy with a fully fleshed character arc is influential and groundbreaking in the history of cinema, then you need to learn more developing cinephile!

Financial success doesn't really speak for its artistic achievements
I would have never thought comedies would be popular with audiences.

>handholding sequence
What a pioneer!

You're purposely ignoring comedy with character arc and comedic techniques that propel narrative forward, developing cinephile! If you want to ignore history, that's fine, but don't imply you know more or that those films of historical significance are not important! You might as well be one of that try to erase D.W. Griffith from the history books!

Is this an art film?

Comedy is the essence of life, and in particular, the essence of GOOD cinema!

Why did you pick Rapsodia Satanica over Assunta Spina for silent Italian cinema?

letterboxd.com/machill54/

Highly recommend too watch Multiple Maniacs which is recently online

Why have you just now watch a John Waters movie, machill?

>ignoring the transformative quality of film
You mean the ability to transform a work of a art like literature to shit?

No, in this context coup means blow or strike, in the sense of hitting something. Faire les 400 coups or doing the 400 blows is an old French idioms that refers to old Royal Army cannons that on average could shoot 400 times before needing to be replaced; I've done the 400 blows, it was a way of saying, I've experienced life on the battlefield for years alongside my comrades, the lifetime of a cannon. It evolved to just mean having lived a lot of intense life experiences, done some bad shit or went on silly adventures that create memories, etc. typically with your friends, like misbehaving rebellious kids often do.

I have also seen pink flamingos
But definitely not watched as many as I would have liked to/should have

Thanks, user!

What's your favorite movie from the 30's, machill?

You're a man of discerning tastes.

I have a feeling you would love Mad Love, machill.

Probably Freaks or L'atalante. I haven't seen that much from the 30s because, as we all know, the 30s are the worst and most boring decade for films

This actually sounds pretty great despite being made in the worst and most boring decade for films (1930s)
I'll give it a watch

Just got these in the mail. What does /lbg/ think of them?

>dvds

hey how's life going in 1999 pal
just as a word of warning, don't get on any flights to california in September 2001, thank me later

I'd say that now it's only used to say that you've done some bad stuff, misbehaved or done stuff you shouldn't have done. The meaning of the expression now is quite negative.

wahoo!!!!!!!!!

>the worst and most boring decade for films (1930s)
Why do you say that, machill? It hurts my heart. It's perhaps my favorite decade.

Poor '30s, to be the favorite decade of you

Why do you say L'atalante over The Rules of the Game? Why do you say L'atalante at all? I thought you disliked romance!

The 1930's would be PROUD to be the favorite decade of mine!

>the 30s are the worst and most boring decade for films
that would be the 80's actually!

Disgusted is more like the word

Worst, yes. Boring, no.

True, you should be buying blurays, but none of these are on bluray and a majority of classics aren't on bluray. All in all, you have a very nice selection there, guy.

I said it because I thought it might hurt your heart.
I genuinely haven't seen much from that decade though

I don't mind romance if it's told well
I didn't """get""" rules of the game at all, found it boring and dumb
Did watch it quite a while ago though when I was even less film-literate so would maybe stand for a rewatch

They're only not boring to you, machill, because you love trash!

That earlier post wasn't me

In my opinion the 90s is maybe the worst decade?

Many classic independent and documentary films were produced in the 90's, try again!

>!

Never!

Yes, it's very important to shitpost on /lbg/ non-stop. But now with fear!

d-don't you have a PTP or KG account user?

It's still the worst in my opinion

This is for implying you knew more than me!

He's clearly not a filthy pirate like you

Oh, yeah, you're showing everybody with this crusade

Why do you prefer the trash of the 70's over the trash of the 80's?

Post your profile, coward