How can a show with so much action, suspense, and explosions be so goddamn comfy?

How can a show with so much action, suspense, and explosions be so goddamn comfy?

I'm not sure I know the difference between MacGyver and Matlock.

The era in which it was made. Everything from 1987-1995 is supreme comfiness.
Check out the first three seasons of Walker Texas Ranger, OP. I guarantee that you will love it.
And also the first two seasons of Touched by an Angel, if you're into that sort of thing

MacGyver is a government operative who disarms bombs and uses shit he finds lying around to escape dangerous situations.

Matlock is a crafty defense attorney.

I'm not sure the shows could be any more different. That's like not knowing the difference between James Bond and Perry Mason.

The remake with that X-Men First Class faggot is the worst thing ever invented.

What went wrong?

Matlock is a fucking lawyer

What the hell are you smoking?

Change in fashion, mindset, culture, music, approach to TV show making, technology. Basically, as the tech boom happened through the mid 90s, society itself changed quite a bit. By the time of Clinton's second term, the 'spirit' of the 90s was already ending, making way for the faceless soulless... whatever we have now.

Both were referenced heavily in The Simpsons and and 90s kid would likely not have watched either, and the names are kind of similar.

>1987-1995
Just fucking awful.

Your opinion is wrong.

My opinion is right. You have shit taste.

Nope, you're still wrong.

I love how every single line of dialogue spoken by MacGyver is lazily delivered one liner. Like, every fucking line.

I'm never wrong.

Watch Highlander: The Series

You can actually witness the fall of civilization as the series ran from '92-'98

Highlander was pretty cool in its early days. And you're absolutely right about how you can watch society slide downward through its run. A few other shows that display this quite well are Seinfeld and Roseanne. Also Frasier

Highlander is way comfy, too.
MacGyver, Highlander, Star Trek:TNG, and X-Files are basically the 5 best "get snuggly and watch 40 episodes of a show in a row" tv series of all time.

Seinfeld became better up until its last season, and Rosanne was never good.

Literally all me

>Roseanne

Jesus late Roseanne is so butt awful. Like, when Roseanne became the "domestic goddess" and bought into 90s feminism and they started talking about riot grrl bands on the show and the grandma became a lesbian. That is so not what I needed from Roseanne

Roseanne was okay up until the last few seasons and Seinfeld just became too silly. But neverminding the shows themselves, take note of what sort of society they are set in.
My point is, you can just see the societal shift implicitly being displayed through TV shows. Art reflects reality.

I thought it was alright up until season 8-ish. It just lost its energy and appeal.

I don't see it. The only thing I noticed living through it as a kid was there were finally movies that weren't R-rated towards the mid-90's, where it seemed like every release was R-rated during the late 80's through early 90's.

It's a very implicit thing. I don't know if you're old enough to have lived through those years. I did, so I guess my understanding of them is perhaps different to yours.

Maybe you didn't read my entire comment, but yes I was old enough to live through them. I still don't see it, and unless you're going into detail to back up your theory (which I doubt), I'm going to chalk this up to the usual tendency to be overly nostalgic about younger years.

I never watched MacGyver or Star Trek TNG as a kid, but they have an intangible comfy quality for me.

I watched it as a kid. I'm wasn't a big fan later in life but was nonetheless gifted Season 1 on DVD by a relative. My little brother (11 years my younger) actually liked it though. He liked it so much we got Season 2 and would watch episodes together.

GOOLD?