What's the deal with Brits and panel shows?

What's the deal with Brits and panel shows?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-2z-AdzgKjY
youtube.com/watch?v=SyDBsMi7WE8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_the_United_Kingdom#Regional_Broadcasters
youtube.com/watch?v=YL4HThD7slE
go.ted.com/JKTxTQ
books.google.ca/books?id=aST0sgqW5n8C&pg=PA309&lpg=PA309&dq=charlie brooker britians got talent&source=bl&ots=j69oFl_BaN&sig=HRXrflsPr51fSHOR6qrxec7LX6g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiV-bTJpPHSAhUK-GMKHZTMDJIQ6AEIWTAM#v=onepage&q=charlie brooker britians got talent&f=false
youtube.com/watch?v=eTMhPkaF1z0
youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgFJTEHLI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dunno

probably just some sort of cancer evolved from "mid-upper class lad banter from uni".

whats the deal with burgers and talk shows?

It's the British version of talk shows

Instead of one guy sitting behind the desk you have 3-5+

The brits love banter mate
Panel shows are banter mate

reddit tier trash

It's friendlier and way better to have all your guests on at once together than the American 1 by 1 orderly fashion talk shows

Seems kinda faggy

It boils British humor down its essence. Snappy comebacks and banter.

you seem kinda faggy mate

Its not as much of a thing as 'merics like to say it is.

>Brits and panel shows
Welcome to what passes as news on CNN, MSNBC and FOX in the USA.

I'm pretty sure it's some kind of scam by the BBC to keep British comedians employed.

I can't stand them myself. It's the typical British attempt to one up each other with their own perceived "cleverness", it's never in service of a joke just to satisfy their own ego and demonstrate that they went to Uni at St.Andrews, or Oxbridge or whatever other faggoty institution.

Inb4 muh precious banter

Brits aren't even the best at it, they were usurped by their own convicts. These panel shows only demonstrate how insecure Brits are about their own image.

they love the bantz. it's what drives them

Only if you're retarded.

I know most americans are retarded.

>These panel shows only demonstrate how insecure Brits are about their own image.
I've noticed this as well, brits seem desperate to prove they are their idealized image.

Emma Watson is hosting shows now?

What show is this?

They should do one but instead of Steven Fry or whoever they have sit in on these horrible things they use Spitting Image puppets. BBC just forward me the royalties.

The LaMarr era of Buzzcocks was god-tier

Government run television (ie. the BBC) operates on the condition a certain percentage of content is locally produced.

Live to tape panel shows are the cheapest way of producing local content.

what do you mean localled produced? like in the UK?

>tfw brits even have the best talk show

Its like a podcast. In tv form.

Brits aren't as censored as Americans are with the dirty / real talk on regular tv

Graham looks great with the beard.

You spelt 'Amstell' wrong

chat show kino

Cheap to make, so if you have a good enough idea and a good house comedian/host, it was almost always be good. It's sort of why the US has so many 'reality' shows - they're cheap to make, and if they have a good enough idea and an entertaining main cast, it almost always will get a lot of viewers.

They are cheap as shit and the comedians don't even have to write new jokes for it.

Brit panel and talk shows are 100% pure excuses for bants.

Which is why the questions are designed to get the guests to start chatting random shit instead of a straightforward answer.

We love banter. QI is probably the best example of this, but there are plenty of others.

The Andy Parsons bit slays me. Harry and Paul really don't get enough love

The UK is separated into Regions, much like the USA has atates.

Each region not only has national news, weather and programmes they also have regional news, weather etc.

It's weird because we're such a small country, but it's possible to go 50 miles in any direction and get differing tv broadcasts.

MOST channels are the same no matter where you go, but regional tv programmes are part of the BBC's license fee mandate and so you can make a tv show specifically about Cornwall for example, only to be shown in Cornwall and the BBC would fund it.

QI is the best. Trivial facts, curious comedians, and bants? True comfort.

but if its scripted the bants wont flow

Ahh yes, masterbanters in action.

>that sketch
was it kino?

95% of brit banter is making references to brit daytime tv personalities from 50 years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=SyDBsMi7WE8

>you can make a tv show specifcally about Cornwall only to be shown in Cornwall

bullshit. there's nothing that's regional broadcast apart from bbc 'insert compass heading' and itv 'insert weird region names' news

One of the few that I enjoy, mostly for David Mitchell

Stupid nigger. We have our own specific regional channels.

Fuck me, even London has specific regional channels. Pull the stick out your arse and live a little.

ELDER TIER

Shooting Stars

GOD TIER

QI

HIGH TIER

Have I got news for you
Mark Lamarr era Buzzcocks
Original 8 out of 10 cats

MID TIER

Simon Amstell era Buzzcocks
Original Mock the Week
They Think it's All Over

LOW TIER

A Question of Sport
Current 8 out of 10 cats / 8OO10CD Countdown

SHIT TIER

Current Buzzcocks
Everything else

came here for this

The absolute master. He knows when to take control of the flow and when to let the guests interact with each other.

I'm american, but QI is so comfy when it's Fry and all guys. women really throw off that quintessential british banter in my opinion.
the only talk show that had legit banter in the US was Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

>>
>It's weird because we're such a small country, but it's possible to go 50 miles in any direction and get differing tv broadcasts.

No it's not. At the most you can get a different BBC shouwing you different news for a half hour. Every single channel will show the same shit for everyone else.

America's tv is totally different and completely regional. New York alone has six channels only dedicated to showing things on New York, original content too. The UK has only one channel like that, London Live, and it's pure shit and still full of reruns.

They're funnier than anything America has to offer.

/thread

t. 90's born queer

That Andy Hamilton fucking kills me.

TRUE FACT THESE ARE JUDGEMENT SHOWS. JUDGEMENT SHOWS SURPASSED LIGHT HEARTED COMEDY AS THE PREVAILING POPULAR SHOW AFTER 9/11

THEY WANT YOU TO THINK YOUR LIFE IS A JUDGEMENT. YOUR LIFE IS LIKE KAFKAS THE TRIAL

THIS PROBABLY EXPLAINS RISING NATIONALISM IN THE US AND UK

interesting. I recently read The Trial. what is a judgement show?

>london

fuck off i should have known you were a fairy

you might have one or two regional channels that are called some cringy shit like LONTV that no fucker watches same way no-one apart from old busybodys want to listen to local community radio

>People born in Englel will never know the beauty of OTAHD
>MeTV, Bounce, Comet, AntennaTV with super comfy shows
>just hour after hour of BBC news presented by a whitish looking Indian woman
>all for $300 a year

You can't /thread your own post, faget.

And you have less than that. Fuck off with your retarded statement that we have proper regional tv when we sure as fuck don't.

Nobody with a brain in England actually pays the licence fee.

You only hear horror stories about the fee people coming to your house because they refuse to just let the guys in and go "look, no aerial, I just use this games console to watch movies".

I dunno but they're pretty shit and oversaturated as fuck.

I'm Australian and aussie humour aside from shitposting is just shit-tier. I don't think I can name a single funny aussie comedian except the boys from Aunty Donna. I can't watch any Australian produced stuff on TV because it's either got terrible acting or unfunny comedy.

>people arguing about whether we have local tv station

Fucking 5 seconds in Google you dumb niggers

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_the_United_Kingdom#Regional_Broadcasters

Yeah, they're all trash, but they are regional television channels.

No Americans can deny this.

>Travel to Australia
>Turn on TV
>see this youtube.com/watch?v=YL4HThD7slE
>Turn off TV
>Fly home

I watched this TED Talk and thought you would find it interesting.

Lauren Zalaznick: The conscience of television
go.ted.com/JKTxTQ

books.google.ca/books?id=aST0sgqW5n8C&pg=PA309&lpg=PA309&dq=charlie brooker britians got talent&source=bl&ots=j69oFl_BaN&sig=HRXrflsPr51fSHOR6qrxec7LX6g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiV-bTJpPHSAhUK-GMKHZTMDJIQ6AEIWTAM#v=onepage&q=charlie brooker britians got talent&f=false

Charlie Brooker talks about this a lot. It why he wrote episode two of black mirror

brits have a hard time with panels

especially when they are on the sides of a bus thats coming towards them rapidly.

It's a living hell mate

the argument is that there's like a fucking brummie version of downton abbey or something on brumtv

t. Homosexual

You have no idea what you're talking about. Brits are fucking anti social slobs and they don't care.

> being this bitter you didnt go to uni

The fact you got elder tier right makes the rest of your list irrelevant to me even if I disagree with most of it.

Shooting stars hit a Level of perfection that not even will self could ruin

>Brits are fucking anti social slobs and they don't care.

That's just the cunts on here. I can't think of a more social people than the British.

>oi m8
>me banter lad m8? me wanker?
>david mitchell points out some "funny" historical fact
Yeah, great tv.

>I'm pretty sure it's some kind of scam by the BBC to keep British comedians employed.
a lot of them are made by production companies who employ or are founded by comedians. you are correct that they are made as a way for (((connected))) comedians to get regular high profile work.

they are also cheap to make

Is would I lie to you any good

I think you mean Angus-era HIGNFY, it's been terrible ever sincet

Also don't get the QI worship. It's fine, not great.

Also, where is Would I Lie To You

>Aunty Reddit

Nah, just check out the highlights on youtube. It's very funny when it's funny but very flat when it isn't, even though David Mitchell and Rob Brydon are great. Can't stand Lee Mack.

Cheap and easy way of producing content instead of taking a risk on actual scripted comedy which may fail.

I would like to know that as well.
They also seem awfully scripted at times.

youtube.com/watch?v=eTMhPkaF1z0
panelkino

>watching talk shows at all

>inb4 angry poltard screaming shill

>"the fake news show"
>shows a clip of sean spicer saying "this was the largest audience ever" while conveniently cutting out the part right before that where he said he was including TV and internet stream audiences, as an example of lying to the public

what is irony

It's so shit how they brought back Room 101 as a panel show format instead of the old 1 on 1 in depth interview. Frank Skinner would have been perfectly suited to it.

As a Brit, "Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn" was acceptable.

it's comedy that isn't 'balding guy stands in front of a wall for 45 minutes talking about his waning libido'

it's mainstream comedy anyone can watch. i don't thing there's anything to 'get'

Miss Shooting Stars, what a show.

I'd slip in an extra tier below shit tier just for Celebrity Juice, fucking horrific shit. Leigh Francis peaked with the first two series of Bo Selecta.

Why the fuck was Paloma Faith on so many Panel shows. Her voice is pure cancer both talking and singing and she is dumb as shit.

OHHH MYY GOOODDD THHE DAAILLLLY MAAIIILLLLLLLLL

>token female panelist

Was it bad banter, or is Preston thin-skinned?

youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgFJTEHLI

He did the right thing, not sticking up for your wife is a beta move

The better thing would be to comeback at Amstell with something but hey he's not a comedian

He probably thought "My wife is being insulted, if I sit here and take it, it looks like I'm in on the joke" so he left.

He didn't seem to take the opening joke particularly well though.

What a bunch of insufferable cunts

Celeb Juice is great for what it is. Ant & Dec episodes are amazing

That's just british "humor".

>I don't think I can name a single funny aussie comedian except the boys from Aunty Donna

christ on a bike, just top yourself you unironic cunt

Simon just read his girlfriend's book.