/mls/ general - DIVE ON WATER edition

mlssoccer.com/schedule/2018/announcement

lagalaxy.com/post/2018/01/11/mls-announces-rosters-and-schedule-2018-mls-combine

>NASL
nasl.com/schedule
>USL
uslsoccer.com/usl-schedule
>NWSL
nwslsoccer.com/schedule
>AYY lmao
a-league.com.au
>CPL
canpl.ca

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14807413
twitter.com/kkfla737/status/952712264032903168
miamiherald.com/sports/mls/article194653114.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for MLS' very own treble-winning team

US/Bosnia friendly in about 2 weeks, SUPERdraft in 3 days

where is everyone

Sorry, I definitely am guilty of putting in a meme answer for your poll.
If you look at the a league website it has a section called "membership"
I don't know if that means season ticket holders or just people who sign up for the email list but it should be a decent proxy for popularity. the approximate numbers are these:
>Melbourne Victory 25.7k
>W. Sydney Wanderers 17.1k
>Sydney FC 13.8k
>Melbourne City 10.7k
>Brisbane Roar 8.7k
>Newcastle Jets 8.6k
>Perf Glory 8.5k
>Central Coast 6.9k
>Adelaide 6.7k
>Wellington 5.2k

America.

Nice alternative to the Jacksonville-mania, tbqh

If I can get dubs, US soccer switches to three-league promotion/relegation system and Charleston Battery move up to MLS

Fuck. Well, I tried. CCC should still be entertaining this year though, right?

Reposting my poll, even though I don't trust your answers.

strawpoll.me/14807413

This will never happen, even in the darkest timeline we currently occupy.

What A-League team should I follow

You could always look at twitter followers

Western Sydney Wanderers 135k
>Melbourne Victory 94.9k
Sydney FC 69.8k
>Melbourne City FC 63.7k
Adelaide United 62.2k
>Brisbane Roar 49.4k
Wellington Phoenix 38.4k
>Newcastle Jets 37k
Perth Glory 32.2k
>Central Coast Mariners 31.6k

>It's been 84 days since @PhilaUnion played their last game, missing playoffs (for 6th time in 8 tries) in league where over 1/2 make playoffs. Preseason physicals start week from tomorrow. Their lone addition to first team has been Cory Burke from USL affiliate. #DOOP

Cool. I'm also interested in how /ayy/ feels, though.

Fucking kill me if Sugarman doesn't sell soon

*fart noise*

>SEA
>E
>A

>North America will never get a promotion/relegation system never ever ever

expansion news WHEN

good post
slightly ok post

>nashlel

Im thinking sometime around mid july

based on what

he has a point

probably save it for an allstar game announcement or some dumb shit

>tfw no West vs East game

>garber says both teams will be announced in December
>waits later in December than promised, only announces one.

It's a scam, I says.

9th page NFL playoffs bump
MLS or whatever D1 team in the future will not have pro-rel, just a hundred or so teams in D1 that pick their schedules, kind of like college football.

twitter.com/kkfla737/status/952712264032903168

>twitter.com/kkfla737/status/952712264032903168
It's:
a) Too close to call
or
b) MLS knows which city it wants but their bid is too shitty and they need to get their shit together

they're at mls headquarters like UHH UHH WHAT ABOUT A SECOND TEAM IN ATLANTA

DELETE THIS THREAD YOU FUCKED UP THE TITLE AGAIN

It's season ticket holders

Not happy with the disrespect BASED A-League is getting in the thread titles.

t. Chief Wog

interesting point in the replies said that Austin is voting in February, and that Cincy is directly tied to the Columbus relocation business. It would make perfect sense.
So basically if Austin goes through Cincy wins, and if not Sac wins.

welcome to the league: city in ohio in less interesting than columbus

Shall shitpost this thread to 500 posts

are you just saying that because columbus was an original team or is cincinnati actually a worse city than columbus

>forgot wogs

Yes

politically, that makes sense, though I still think it odd that San Antonio gets left out in the cold, considering nearly twice as many people live there.

it's in the OP, why don't you complain to your Australian President.

I've already sent my hurt feelings to the Chief Mutt

my entire exposure to ohio cities is that camron song 'down and out'

I like to think it was because they realized that Texans don't give a fuck about about sawker, but then again, Austin Crew is still a possibility. I think they didn't make it because they had a worse bid than Detroit, but I'm not 100% sure

Do all the hipster cities already have a team?

I have heard from a friend that Iowa is very hipster

what do you mean by this

It's not like you're not allowed to here, as much as pro/rel and naslfags scream about promotion and relegation they couldn't ever set up their own promotion and relegation to show that it would work, blame the people who actively advocate for pro/rel here they just hurt the cause by being annoying and never showing any proof or doing anything about it

Pro/rel will never happen in Australia or USA. Any team that gets relegated would go under.

My friend has relatives in Des Moines and he says it's a hipster town

There are no professional sawker teams in Iowa. The only team linked to a pro league is Des Moines Menace and USL D3.

Soyboys seem attracted to the MLS there should be a team there then

Portland, Maine should get one

Are they as hipster as the other Portland?

>tfw Canadian expansion

Almost. East coast hipster is a different breed than west coast hipster.

The Trudeaus send their regards

If can happen in Japan and Worst Korea, also can happen in US of A and Australia

Don't think so, we don't have a tradition of pro/rel and everyone but hardcore fans would stop watching and attending games.

Loon

I think you fail to realize there are multiple more established and really big sports leagues in the US and Australia, Japan really only has baseball and Korea only has e-sports, where in US you have Football, Basketball, Hockey, Baseball and Australia has 2 rugby codes aussie rules football and cricket

here, if your team goes under you have many other sports teams based in your local area to watch instead of a sinking ship, yeah maybe generations down the line when our soccer teams have become more embedded in the sporting culture could they routinely survive relegation it could work, but there's just way too many other options to have the semi-established teams we do have become irrelevant and poorer

>tfw NYMLS

whats wrong buddy

>its a newfaggot doesnt put /wog/ in the OP

EXCELLENT post

What's your favorite sport (besides soccer) that is mainstream somewhere other than your country

went to the knicks game today unless you mean autism sports then its track and field bc i did that in college

i meant sports that are mainstream elsewhere and not at home

I like speedskating and cycling, that's most mainstream in europe than here.

box lacrosse. I guess it's popular in some parts of the US but certainly not here in Arizona

Ice Hockey

Aussie Rules

I WAS JUST KIDDING, GARBER

GOD DAMMIT

Quite partial to baseball. I like the Yankees. I also watch Knicks games regularly, but that is quite popular here so not sure it counts

guys, we should do something for it

Squash. I played in college, and still play casually. I watch the pro tour here and there. And I know some people playing pro.

>pro squash

go for it then. shits boring now

Even if some literally who from the internet drafted a step-by-step reform from the franchise system to the pro-rel system conglomerating MLS, NASL, USL, and ASL into a 3-tier division system, it's not like it's something that the USSF as an organization is looking to do anyway. Apparently the current USSF president is not seeking another term, so MAYBE the next president might be interested in reform, but that's a big maybe and he'd have a fuckton of hurdles to go through to make it happen. North America is pretty cozy with its franchise system.

I think the biggest factor that would make it happen is interest in American soccer. Interest DOES seem like it's at an upswing, but most of that interest gets pointed toward the big 3 Euro leagues. I see more people with Manchester United, Barcelona, and Bayern Munich merch than Seattle Sounders or Sporting Kansas City. The only exception might be Orlando City, but I'm in Florida and Orlando City generated an relatively large following in a short amount of time that I doubt can be recreated elsewhere. The World Cup should help, but Team USA not even making it in this time will definitely be a set-back.

tl;dr We won't get pro-rel until both the USSF wants it and the American public actually gives a shit about soccer.

>Tennessee

so is this a slow news day or am i just on drugs

yes

like I said, there's no rules at all stopping anyone from pro/rel, technically under the current rules you could have a pro/rel league occupy div 1. The problem is that the people with the money have never attempted to try pro/rel as much as some virtue signal for it, promotion and relegation could be started next season for lower leagues yet they still won't do it.

I will agree about the american public needing to give a shit for it to work, people always paint pro/rel as having no downsides and being the cure, but the reality is those people are a vocal minority and the wide majority of people are either generally fine with the league structure as it is now or just don't give a shit about american soccer at all

those that don't give a shit about american soccer at all probably wouldn't be converted from pro/rel alone, they only want to identify with top level teams, and they'll always have a stigma against MLS teams until they can beat high level opponents so that people can feel validated in following the sports league

its sad but half american soccer fans just want validation in their support, its not about THEIR team, its about being relevant and noticed

Alexi Lalas: [conducting interview] Your soccer experience is very interesting. Do you think you could use that experience to inform decisions here?

Eric Wynlanda: Absolutely--I, yes. In fact, I actually have a three-step plan that I believe could effectively double your profits.

Alexi : Really?

Eric: Yeah.

Alexi: [waiting for Eric to continue] ...What is it?

Eric: Nice try.

USSF: I'm sorry, what is your three-step plan?

Eric: Well, I mean, I can't just hand you my plan. I mean, if you guys give me the job, then, then you'll get the plan.

USSF: Well... it's an interview, and we don't know that you really have the plan.

Eric: [speaking faster] Well, I'm not gonna just make up that I have a plan. I got a plan. Believe me, you guys want it. You're in Soccer, right?

USSF: How would we know that, if you don't...

Alexi: You could just be saying it to get the job.

Eric: I guess I could be, if I was... who would do that?

Alexi: How about this. Why don't you give us a part of the plan, and that way we know you have it.

Eric: Tell you what. I'll give you part three of part two. Not gonna give you a whole part.

Alexi: Okay.

Eric: engagement. The process needs transition time - there is not a magic switch. It’s for the betterment of the game TM.

Alexi: Did you just trademark that...

USSF: [confused] W-What?

Eric: That's a verbal trademark. That's an agreement.

No sure what that reaction is...

NSL worked with pro/rel. Some aussi state leagues work with pro/rel.

Here's some news
miamiherald.com/sports/mls/article194653114.html
>Beckham’s Miami soccer team has been a dream for years. The reality may be days away.

>[co-owner Jose Mas] wouldn’t say the exact date of the team-launch news conference, but indicated it would be by the end of the month. Two other sources close to negotiations said it would be at the end of January.
>The team name and preliminary uniform designs would be unveiled at that event, which is expected to be attended by Beckham, his partners, and MLS Commissioner Don Garber.

there's a bunch of other shit but i just got home from a long day at work and I really don't feel like reading right now

yes you are

so when is the gay draft already

we pick you

You think there'll ever be a player picked from CPL in the SuperDraft

No because most CPL players wouldn't be eligible for SuperDraft

Why wouldn't they?

THIS is the next USSF president

Oh man LOL

SuperDraft is for college kids
College kids are all "amateurs"
CPL players are professionals

Oh, OK, thanks. I didn't know that