Screenwriting/Filmmaking

past threads:
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/80690005/#80690005
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/80595329/#80595329

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iYQmsyYxSFk&channel=UC3OjyqB8nIyRYJcKrPxCeOw
youtube.com/watch?v=Brdx7kmxx2I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any guides on building a video editing pc?

Ask Sup Forums

Is it possible to sell an explicitly racist screenplay in this day and age?

You could sell it to people who want to produce racist movies.

What did you write?

I have one about Japanese cowardice which mainly focuses around the black ships but also involves fat man and little boy and also US internment camps, and another one about the attempted enslavement of native americans and how they resisted but died and were wiped out and contained anyway. I also have an idea about a movie exposing the roma people for who they REALLY are but it's just an idea at the moment and not even in development.

documentary about president Drumpf

Thought it sounded pretty liberal, but then you mentioned exposing the Roma people. I don't really see how the first two ideas are racist desu, they sound pretty reasonable, especially the natives getting wiped out, that could easily be portrayed as a bad Whitey movie.

What do you think of Roma, what do you think of natives?

I had an idea about natives after hearing stories from an ex military guy who worked on a Lakota reservation in one of the Dakotas. He said they are eternal drunks, and the men get together at nights to play cards, drink, and rape their own daughters. Said the girls were beautiful, but they'd come in to the school he worked at bruised with black eyes. Sad state of affairs really, drink turns them more savage than they are.

bump I'll be back in 30 minutes

bump

Phantom of the Paradise user is probably gone, but I'm gonna reply to his post from the last thread.

Phantom of the Paradise is alright desu, but De Palma's other work is my favorite.

Blow Out?

I don't know, I just got that off the internet, I think it's from Dressed to Kill actually. She's qt in Blow Out though, they really dressed her up nice for that one.

>mfw they kept killing her look alikes

My ideas for a Phantom of the Paradise remake was to make Swan like Mok from Rock & Rule, they're motivations are already kind of similar, searching for a special voice and wanting to create a new musical experience.

Phoenix and Winslow would be ex-lovers, their relationship being similar to Peter and Sarah's in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Winslow being a stubborn aspiring musician and playwright and Phoenix wanting him to move on and put more focus on her.

Special To Me, Phoenix's audition song, becomes about Winslow.

That's about it. I didn't have an ideas about how to really modernize the story, I guess Beef and The Undead might become a pop act.
Adam Driver would be Winslow, Dane DeHaan as Swan, and maybe Marina Diamandis as Phoenix.

Blow Out was great, but a little confusing for me, because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to laugh at some of the murders.
What's your favorite De Palma though?

>I wasn't sure if I was supposed to laugh at some of the murders.
What? I didn't get that vibe at all, kek.

I think Blow Out is one of my favorites, but The Fury is great too and so is Dressed to Kill. If I'm feeling like I want a happy ending maybe Obsession. Blow Out has that beautiful ending with the sad music accompanying the beautiful shot of circling Travolta though, which is great.

The score was done by this guy called Pino Donaggio who worked with him on a couple other projects. I think it gives his movies an Italian vibe. Popped up in my recommendations on youtube.

youtube.com/watch?v=iYQmsyYxSFk&channel=UC3OjyqB8nIyRYJcKrPxCeOw

How rude, I didn't even ask, what if your favorite user? (Besides Phantom of the Opera)

I think my favorite De Palma, from what I've seen, is Blow Out.

I want to make a romantic comedy the concept of true love.
Is love predestined, is there somebody meant for everybody?
Or, is love learned over the course of time?

The only way I can think of framing this is through a story where people are assigned spouses at a young age, and grow up with them, the protagonist being a man who falls in love with an older woman he wasn't assigned to.

That premise seems similar to The Lobster though.

The Lobster was shit though, and it made a mockery of relationships and emotions, if you did the opposite it could be good. Got more to it, sounds interesting?

I loved The Lobster, I thought it was a masterpiece.

Sheeeeiit, ok kek, guess we are on different ends of the spectrum. Why'd you like it? It was too unemotional. No love.

It was hysterical. Great design and casting too.

I thought some of the situational comedy was funny, but it was just a terribly anti-Love film. The dog murdering business and the emotionless pretending for that crazy woman, only for their relationships to be built upon shared physical traits. I thought John C. Reilly did good, and the few moments of emotion were between the minor characters. Beyond that the directing didn't strike any new ground either. Although I'm shitting on the movie, hopefully it doesn't come off as shitting on you, I'd like to know more if you could elaborate? Since you're approaching it differently

More about my movie? I shared almost all I have, I'm in the very early stages, still trying decide what direction to go in.
Last night I thought that people could be assigned spouses based off statewide standardized tests.
How would you execute that concept?

And I don't mean the "assigned spouses at a young age" concept, the "true love vs. learned love" concept.

I don't know how I would do that, but you'd definitely have some social commentary with the standardized testing. Why would they assign spouses? maybe it's too spur low birth rates, kek. You could also use physiognomy to decide compatibility, or a combination of both. There could definitely be physical comedy with the matches.

I was actually asking about your take on the Lobster, but the question works for both.

>Why would they assign spouses?
I have no fucking idea, man. I kind of hate this premise, but I don't know what else to do.
I don't want it to just be "man is a relationship for a long time, and falls in love with someone else".
I want to make something more profound than Chris Rock's I Think I Love My Wife, and something more abstract (not because abstract = more artistic, I just feel like what I'm going for calls for surrealism).
>I was actually asking about your take on the Lobster,
oh shit, my bad.
I don't know what else to say, it was a very funny movie, and very interesting.
I didn't think about why I liked it that much.
I've been itching to rewatch it, and I should, I think I may have fallen asleep the first time.

>I've been itching to rewatch it, and I should, I think I may have fallen asleep the first time.
Kek, this happened to me with Scar Face, twice.

>I have no fucking idea, man. I kind of hate this premise, but I don't know what else to do.

It sounds like it could be pretty good, you could probably go for some similar comedic tone with that premise, especially while dealing with a bureaucratic state, like "Brazil" when choosing the lover. Depends on your approach to the theme of the movie though.

Scarface isn't that good so I don't blame you, not to offend you if you love Scarface.

Yeah, it could be good, and I could go for a similar comedic tone.
But I don't want to be compared to The Lobster, a movie I'm a big fan of, my idea isn't intended to be inspired in any way by The Lobster, except comedically.
I want to create something between Wes Anderson, David Lynch, and The Eric Andre Show.

Is anybody else in this thread? Where is everybody?

>The Erica Andre Show

You should check out World Peace if you haven't, it's pretty great. I can dig some Wes Anderson, especially Darjeeling Limited

I don't know, just seems like me and Lobster guy.

I work for Bad Hat Harry. I like this a lot, R rating?

Yeah, I'm the Lobster guy.

I'm not gonna watch World Peace, I'm not white.

Are you memeing with me? You don't have to be White to watch it. What are you, American?

>falling for the memes
stop, just watch it. it's really cool and the cinematography is great.

Yeah, I love this Charls sketch, the transitions are great too.

>ignoring kino
youtube.com/watch?v=Brdx7kmxx2I

Hey Moon is much better than Cop Killer version.

I'm not gonna do it, I don't need that.

...what

Don't need what? You're just depriving yourself of good laughs.

My idea of 5 years was completely torn apart in the first thread and I don't even know if I should still try.

five fucking years, maybe six, I can't remember.

I don't need to enjoy the content of someone who's racist.
And I'm too lazy to get my headphones anyway.

Honestly that's more your fault for putting all your eggs in one basket, at least try taking elements of it and bring them to new places if it's unsalvageable.

I mean, I was working on other stuff too, but that shit isn't good either.
>at least try taking elements of it and bring them to new places if it's unsalvageable.
if it's unsalvageable how can I repurpose parts of it?

jesus fucking christ

Again, I'm not white.

I really don't fucking care what the color of your skin is. Nobody does.

Yeah, I think so too. Hey Moon makes it kino. That was the one thing that stuck with me after watching. And the very last sketch with the little kid, "I wanna be a graphic designer when I grow up." Hard hitting stuff. Really sad note to go out on.