Doctor Who General - /who/ - Everything Changes Edition

"Rose" aired today, twelve years ago.

We thought he was gone forever. But then he was back, saving mankind from total destruction.

youtu.be/3MjdbjONR8k

Last time:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/C7WhSMmwtF0
youtube.com/watch?v=8D3wBRYHKDk
youtube.com/watch?v=i5L5rmya3fg
youtube.com/watch?v=DnedB2-WoTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Doctor Who should never have been brought back tbqh

youtu.be/C7WhSMmwtF0

Babelcolour just dropped a video.

Why you put the edition in the title?

Who was the best companion of NuWho and why was it Clara?

That's how we do it. That's how the last thread did it. And the one before that one, too.

Because she is not competing against much

>reminder that /who/ literally ranks companions primarily on attractiveness so any opinions here can be safely ignored

Well stop it, that's not how we usually do it and it triggers my autism

>reminder that 75% of /who/ are RTD chads

What else would you rank them on?

Keep doing it, make the autismos cry

if not in attractiviness then in what?

I'll keep it in mind in the future if other people concur. I've either never noticed, or you're just wrong. But I honestly do not know. I've been around for a while, and while I don't often start the new threads (this is the first time I've done it in months) that's how I normally do it.

rude :(

Er, CHARACTER? Are you retarded?

>companions
>character

lmao

Donna was better than Amy even though Karen Gillan is hot. Sometimes a character is just too shitty for the actresses looks to make up for it.

I will poo on your face

The fucking "HAH" that he does in his David impression.

"Ah, the 1970s.. HAH!"

It's uncalled for yet so in-character. It's actually got me laughing out loud.

"HAH!"

The good ones (e.g. not Clara) have character.

>companions
>character

>tfw enjoying the works of russell t davies

>the poor one
>the black one
>Catherine Tate
>the Scottish one
How compelling.

A great companion is:

>hot af
>an inspiration to young girls without being a pandering caricature
>often useful to the Doctor, but never a walking deus ex machina
>a restraint on the Doctor's worst impulses
>usually competent and controlled, but can panic when any reasonable person would

In other words, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.

kys

Man the RTD era just doesn't hold up. Tried watching the sound of drums and everyone just overacts. CRINGE. Also forgot how annoying Captain Jack was. I hope he never comes back.

>the old one
>the Charlie Chaplin one
>the dandy one
>the scarf one
>the cricket one
>the clown one
>the umbrella one
>the tv movie one
>John Hurt
>the Northern one
>the cockney one
>the goofy one
>the rocker one
How compelling.

>everyone around the world thinking of the doctor gives him superpowers

bravo davies

Arse Bliss is when Freema sits on your face.

youtube.com/watch?v=8D3wBRYHKDk

How many seconds in eternity?

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I want a female doctor so we can get a qt twink companion

Och, I dinnae get it. Why do I need The Doctor to be a lass tae hug him or fall down atop o' him?

Wake up, /who/. Stop pretending like you've actually got something to do on a Saturday night.

I'm watching people play videogames leave me alone

Game Grumps?

What is this, 2012?

>page 9
Nothing left to do is there but to die well

Hmmf? Uhm 'wake. Waddya want?

Genuinely made me laugh

Come ON guys. It's the 12th anniversary of New Who. Do something. Say something. Be active.

THINK! 12th anniversary? 12..?

Reminder that these are also the same people who claim that all fangirls only really care about whether the Doctor's hot or not and that they're not real fans because of this

You hear that /who/? You're hypocrites. Hypocrites!

dance party?
I judge them on their merits first and then attractiveness, thank you very much!
It's why Martha is best nuWho companion

Nobody asked you, old man.

Asked and answered regardless, youngster.

The trick to buying Big Finish audios, I find, is to never ever calculate how much you've spent on non-canon ear stories. I've barely made a dent in the monthly range and I already shudder to think about how fat I've made Briggs' wallet.

I'm the same with random people selling used books on the internet. Would have gone to Barrowman's yard sale if it wasn't on the opposite coast.

Hootenanny! What year/years was this>

I didn't start watching NuWho until End of the World, ask me next week

Unknown, stolen from tumblr via GIS

The thing is though that I no longer buy CDs, I just get the download version instead because they're much cheaper. But that means that after sinking my money into BF I don't even have a collection to show for it.

At least you've got your books, I just have mp3's and faint memories.

Upon further inspection it's 2010, and that's his daughter he's dancing with.

Capaldi and Freeman are too cool for school.

>dance party?
Everywhere Capaldi goes is automatically a dance party.

I've been a freeman fan since the Ali-G movie, which doesnt get enough love. He seems a genuine hoot and I of course have fantasies of Pcaps just telling stories. I hope Capaldi does Craigyferg's new show when he's done with DW.
Can't imagine why. The man is grace incarnate.

>Troughton
>Charlie Chaplin

you take that back

you take a higher quality screenshot

friend

Wait, what's the difference between 'download mp3' and 'download audiobook' with Big Finish?

youtube.com/watch?v=i5L5rmya3fg

"Audiobook" means a .m4b file.

Besides better quality at the same file size, that also means "chapter" marks, so you get the whole thing as one big file instead of a file per CD track but can still skip ahead to the next part.

But it also means if you have any ancient MP3 player, it won't know how to play them. (Or it may know how to play them, but only if you rename them to .m4a or .aac, and then they won't know how to do chapters.)

Damn. I've been doing mp3 this whole time and it's always bothered me how there's this tiny gap in audio between the files when I play it, and also just the fact that it's broken up into a bunch of files always seemed stupid to me.

But then I don't know if my phone can play .m4a's.

If you use iTunes, you can disable the gap between tracks by enabling gapless playback

I'm sure you can do it with other software too, of not audacity at a last hope

If it's an iPhone or a non-ancient Android, it can.

Anything else, you can always just download a free audiobook from Big Finish, or use your laptop to convert a file to .m4b format (or convert to .m4a and rename it to .m4b, if you're using Windows Media Player), and try it out.

Also, iPhone and (I think) Android have an official Big Finish app that of course plays their audiobooks just fine.

I remember this was pretty much the first meme made when he was announced as the Doctor. Nostalgic af.

But series 8 12 would never do this, right?

Dance is something worth practising for

I have an Android so that should work, I better test it out soon. Also, I already have to hide my screen out of shame when selecting an audio to listen to on the bus, I feel like the app would be even more obvious.

youtube.com/watch?v=DnedB2-WoTM

You mean when they showed off that costume? But yeah, time has really flown by. Can't believe its his final year already. It's been a fun ride though. Truly it was the golden age.

anyone got a gif from kill the moon where he's hoping

Yeah, it looks like pic related. But maybe you can find the original version of the app, which wasted most of the screen and only showed the truncated title and a tiny thumbnail of the cover, so nobody could tell what you were listening to, not even you.

Oh, also, if you buy some audios and pirate others, the app makes it harder to put them together (although not impossible).

>if you buy some audios and pirate others
… or buy a stack of CDs used off someone and rip them, which is perfectly legal, but the app has no way of knowing that.

I'll stick with just the regular music app for now. Also, I'm a good boy so I only ever buy my audios.

genuinely forgot that this had happened

It's bizarre how much negative attitude and "cancellation incoming, no one cares about Dr. Who anymore!" bollocks has come to his era just from the first half of S9 rating poorly. S8 rated better than 7, even the back half of 9 was at normal Smith-era levels, all his Christmas specials were in the Top 10, it's literally just those few opening eps where it was up against the rugby cup. Makes me mad that he's considered not as popular (maybe even encouraged to leave for someone "more marketable") because of it.

alright SO

I'm sorry that I wasn't posting regularly, lugging a guitar and a carrybag around while wearing multiple layers doesn't give your hands a lot of freedom

my haul after this convention includes: an autograph from Nick Briggs (who is a lovely man), eye contact with Sylvester McCoy and Ingrid Oliver, the "Earth Aid" 7th Doctor lost story audio adventure, a Second Doctor book (I can't remember which but it's one of the rereleases) and a personally better experience than the one I had last year

there was a QT FemFour I was sitting behind during one of the panels - no pic of that I'm afraid

ate at Shake Shack which I would've enjoyed more if I hadn't been carrying so much shit

anyway I did get a few pics during the panels - here are the ones I can post right away, probably more to come later

starting off with Katy, Richard Franklin and Ingrid

But how could a few episodes doing poorly in the UK because of competition from sport while getting record-breaking ratings everywhere else in the world mean anything but "X Factor has killed Doctor Who for good, BBC is over"?

In other news, somehow, at the same time, X Factor is dead and ITV is over too. It's almost like the BARB dropping their contracts with all the companies that actually do the stats and analysis for them at the end of 2014 meant all the ratings since then have been bullshit, but there's no way that could be possible, right?

and here's Catrin and Neve

>tfw capaldi era has only gotten better with each episode
>tfw series 10 looks peak kino

is capaldi era fine wine?

another shot

If the next Doctor is a young good looking male, I'm going to hate him on principle.

Besides, Capaldi's hardly an ugly mug. He looks cool for an older dude and looks great in promo shots.

Awesome, thanks for letting /who/ live vicariously through you

no prob bob, happy to do my service

>that red lining

was capaldi inspired by jim capaldi?

I'm hearing Jonathan Bailey but hey

the topic of the new Doctor (which evolved into female Doctor stuff) was actually brought up at the Ingrid/Richard/Katy panel, and the moderator suggested Sue Perkins which got applause from only one person (aka me)

IIRC Katy suggested Jennifer Saunders which would be fascinating and neat

>Capaldi: Oh, Chris Chibnall, interesting...Lemme see what he's written
>Capaldi: Oh Right Torchwood, I was on that show....Wait....Russell T. Davies wrote the good season...
>Capaldi: Oh i'll check his Doctor Who Episodes then 42....Hungry Earth/Cold Blood.....Power Of Three...Uhhh,,,,
>Capaldi: Steven this guy is shit.
>Moffat: Hey don't blame me, I suggested Harness.
>Capaldi: Well, fuckity bye.

Tried re-watching End of Time parts 1 and 2 last night, for first time in years. Made it half way thru Part 2 and couldn't bear to watch any more.

Holy fuck, it was dire.