/lang/ - Language Learning General

Brain Gains

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Other urls found in this thread:

duolingo.com/comment/18867779/Pennsilfaanisch-Deitsch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Beginning Norwegian today, anyone else learning or planning to learn?

>he fell for the duolingo meme

It's a decent start for people that aren't very big into languages, if it advertised itself as a tool or introduction instead of full courses it would be much more passable

Pic of how to learn chink?

Luck, although you do not need it, is a language very similar to English and more grammatically simple.

The thing about Duolingo is it seems to assume some prior knowledge

This application is VERY useful to become familiar with a language.

But for in-depth learning? Meh, never.

god i hope i get my airborne linguist contract, that i get russian (maybe arabic) and that i ship before december

also that my german gets better and my german penpal loves me

don't have pic but this is what i would do (native speaker)

learn to speak, then memorize characters like crazy

use memrise to learn to speak, at a certain point start using memrise to drill vocab

It just feels like it starts out with some assumption of knowledge and I've yet to come across proper grammar.

I use Mango for pronunciation, and a torrent for actual language information. Unless you try to learn from the beggining about gender/inflexion then it just ruins you later. Duolingo is just vocabulary. To learn English it's good because theres no inflexion or gender.

anyone that has duolingo and is interested in this or interested in just being helpful please like the op of this thread
>duolingo.com/comment/18867779/Pennsilfaanisch-Deitsch

I finally took the Anki pill

nena

May I get some advice? I recently switched to an international affairs major and will eventually study international law at law school. I am currently taking Spanish 1001 and 1002 as a freshman and want to start learning a new language in addition to my Spanish. I'm stuck between French of Russian. I really don't know which one I should learn first. I know that I want to live and work in Europe but do I learn Russian (which would act as a gate way language for most of Eastern Europe) or French which would help me get a job in Western Europe. I already speak Serbo-Croatian so there's that to consider too. I like both languages equally.

So, is there like, a place where we can talk about linguistics?
I feel like some people might be interested in the field, but just nowhere to talk about it.
Afterall, linguistics and language learning are essentially two different studies

This place did grow out of a linguistics general, except that all the original people seem to have left or gotten bored

Are you a Linguistics student? I am, and it'd be nice to have a thread to talk about it. /his/ has (very infrequent) /ling/ generals, but it's his, so they're pretty quickly overrun with bullshit.

I'm not a linguistics student just yet. Right now I'm doing general studies, but that's what I' trying to get into as my goal.
I never really go on /his/ t.bh f.am, so I wouldn't know about it

I don't blame you, it's a shit board, but I'd be willing to make them if people would be interested. I'm not really sure which board makes sense for it though.

Definitely don't get into Linguistics if you care about money or success, but overall it's a dope field.

I think Russia n would give you more opportunities with your future jobs and you know another slavic language so the grammar won't be that difficult. Also French and Spanish are very closely related so it might confuse you

Is there any list for basic word requierd for a conversation in russian?Im too lazy to make one myself

I'm pretty genuinely interested in linguistics for the interest of it. Tryna get into algonquian linguistics. Actually, I'm trying to see the comparison of native north american language families with various siberian language families. I just don't know what that field would be called

I think since this place is dying, /lang/ and /ling/ should be one same thread on here, since they to tend to overlap, and it would help revive this thread a bit. Let's make this a Language Learning and Linguistics general (and try to find a catchy title containing a pun with 3 Ls in it or something, I don't know).

yo quiero con usted ser caballero

>Where did you go yesterday? Where did you go?
>¿a dónde fuiste ayer? ¿a dónde fue?

Only difference is fuiste is familiar, right?

This is a dumb question but wanted to bump the thread too.

that's very formal, say "a dónde fuiste" it's also valid and less formal

>fuiste
>familiar
??

I'm currently doing the Miracles of Human Language MOOC on coursera.

It's a bit underwhelming to be honest, i understand it's supposed to be an introduction but it's incredibly basic anyone who is interested in a linguistics course or learning languages will probably know/have heard of what is being taught.