So the ending hinges on the food, purely by happenstance...

So the ending hinges on the food, purely by happenstance, reminding Ego of something his Mom used to make when he was little? How is this acceptable?

He's a food critic, to him food is art. If food can invoke a strong positive feeling then it's good. If you had a happy childhood, then there are few stronger positive feelings than those nostalgic memories.

>purely by happenstance
>happenstance
Oh please, everyone in France once in their lives has been fed ratatouille by their mother. This isn't some huge coincidence either.

Nostalgia and love can be very powerful, user. My mother used to make a terrible pizza, and if i one day eat a pizza with the same taste as the one she did, i would gladly eat it the same way Ego did ate the Ratatoille.

OP’s point is the deus ex machina nature of the ratatouille, not that food can make you believe in love.

It's a terribly made kids movie that is seen as good because of terrible modern media is

Just imagine the critic was a Sup Forums autist like you and Remy sends out a plate of chicken tendies.

I didn't bring his reaction into question but "lucking out" in that way doesn't make for a satisfying ending.

That is a fair point, I guess.

>That is a fair point, I guess.
I mean, ratatouille is a staple of French gastronomy, and easy to prepare too. It's what every mother rushes to when they're enough tomatoes and cucumbers in the fridge.

>ratatouille
>cucumbers

kek

I thought rat tat tooie was like a stew. What the fuck is that gelatinous shit we see in the movie. It looks more like a tomato aspic.

It serves more of a thematic point, that greatness can come from humble origins. Ratatouille is humble food but when prepared by a chef with talent can be more than that.

>cucumbers
>cucumbers

It's zucchini you pleb

Fuck... Courgette*
What's the word for that in English?

And in my defense, I was conflating it too for her gratin.

Christopher Lee is ded ;_;

Retard

Ego states himself that he "loves food", and as such, he is willing to change his mind when confronted with such a good dish. "Everyone can cook" and all that.

Unironically one of my favorite pixar moments is that quick flash of his happy childhood. Ego, who is such a bitter old man, having a glimpse of a blissful time in his life and the fact that it came from somewhere unexpected.
I dunno. Something genuinely touching about that, to me.

It's not exactly ratatouille in the movie, but a lot of the same ingredients go in. It was probably done for the sake of having a catchy title.

We call it a courgette here in bongland.

Good boys. I see you also call aubergines 'aubergines', and not eggplants.

>zucchini

it's courgette you pleb

It wasn't lucking out or deus ex machina. All of the food they were making was delicious, he was just a staunch food critic who needed something extra. Therefor, it had to show something beyond the food simply tasting good. In this case, it brought a massive rush of nostalgia through him.

Learn your terms you fucking autists, don't scream deus ex machina just because something happens.

It was probably meant to resemble a haute cuisine version of ratatouille since it's being served in a fancy restaurant.

It's a version of Ratatouille called confit biyaldi. Most of the same ingredients, but layered in slices and roasted rather than made as a stew.

That looks like someone threw up their dinner.

>mfw Anton Ego is voiced by Peter O'Toole

you fucked up, retard. I would have served him crab legs

>American understanding of food
Hah

No, I'm a Eurofag, but that doesn't look very appitizing. I'm sure it tastes great though.

Oh, apologies then. Maybe it's that I'm a little too frustrated from a lifetime of seeing people judge our food too quickly, either for "muh small portions" from Americans, or "ew looks gross" from others.
It's pretty good. Wouldn't eat it every other day, but it's healthy so you can still eat it often enough.

Yes, but it's delicious

Fun fact: in the american version the ratatouille was replaced with a burger

I re-watched Ratatouille recently and was struck by how well written Ego's dialogue was. A lot of it seemed like it would go over the heads of an audience made up of children, especially the scene where he asks the waiter to serve him 'perspective.' Peter O'Toole's delivery really helps sell it.

Much like I thought video games were my only nostalgia, and when the marathon happened, it brought back a time I forgot about.
It brought me to a time when I was happy and carefree.

>Deus ex machina

If you were some how surprised or blind sided by the fact that a movie called ratatouille used ratatouille to resolve its plot then you are officially retarded.

Also a French person having eaten Ratatouille as a child is about as common as an American who has eaten a burger, so its not some amazing coincidence that he had eaten it before.

You don't fucking get it
I could eat a million dishes but one that reminds me of the one my mom made is special, more than sight, thought or hearing, smell and taste bring us the biggest memories

I honestly thought it was a rat based dish for a long time.

>dues ex machina
just throwing phrases out huh

His mother is the old lady at the start. She is also an ex of Gaston. Why else would Gaston's recipie be exactly the same as Anton's childhood ratatouille?

I agree. His review at the end was fantastically written.

>not knowing how critics work

If I was a waiter working in that restaurant and a customer asked me to serve him perspective, I would assume there was something wrong with him. I'd have spoken to him carefully and in simple words as if he was retarded from then on.

>deus ex machina
If we were playing "idiots discuss movies like idiots bingo" then I think I'd be a winner right now.

Fuck off.

>Everything is shit unless it jerks my nostalgia off
>Even the most influential critics in the business operate this way

Pixar predicted modern video games and modern movies

>dish is called ratatouille
>doesn't have any rats in it

I don't agree that the ratatouille dish was a copout, but I do find it questionable that there was no explanation given as to why Remy decided to serve it. Not a single clue. The woman even asks him 'why, are you sure?', and Remy just nods.

>Movie is called Food Fight
>they have a big food fight at the end

Food Fight confirmed the better animated movie about food

It's unsatisfying and just used because they were written into a corner. fuck it, it's fate, it wouldn't be a story otherwise, it's a kids movie they won't question this completely one in a million chance

i don't mind poor writing, i mind poor writing being lauded as acceptable

>entire movie establishes that remy is an amazing cook who can cook amazing food
>movie ends with the plot being solved by remy cooking amazingly, with the dish being the movie's namesake
>"whoa that came out of nowhere!" said an oblivious fool

>people on teevee are so dense they don't get ratatouille

>In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.
Where were you when the geniuses of Pixar completely and utterly BTFO critics worldwide forever?

>Marvelcuck wanted a blue laser doomsday machine to be blowing up Paris
Lol, fuck off. Brad Bird is GOAT

>the average piece of junk
Well, at least Pixar is honest about their flicks

That's only really applicable to inane newspaper critics. Great criticism is great art, as evidenced by pic related and many others.

all critics are hacks, thats the point