Warcraft (2016)

I have to say, I haven't played a Warcraft game in more than 15 years and I have never even bothered to ever care the slightest about WoW,

but this movie was pretty cool.

Good pacing, great visuals, pretty straight-forward story that doesn't devolve into pointless lore or backstory that someone like me wouldn't give a shit about... Just overall a no non-sense fantasy movie with an interesting premise and good execution.

Of course it's not perfect though. The cast is pretty mediocre I have to say, specially the mage kid who is awful. Although the orcs were amazing, easily the best thing about it. And the second half of the movie loses quite a bit of steam yet it still holds up to the end IMO.

All in all, I can sort of understand why it flopped with current audiences but I think it was for all the wrong reasons since this is a genuinely fun blockbuster.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pyQ8KpQQbwA
youtube.com/watch?v=c2vm-QjK2xQ
youtu.be/IHgRAlkpxJw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no opinions?

Sure, it's really underrated.
I'm sure it will get the status of hidden gem in a few years.

I never played WoW. But I thought wc3 and frozen throne were cosy as. Would I like the movie?

The movie could have been improved by including a 10 minute prologue demonstrating the destruction of Draenor and the rise of Gul'Dan and the Shadow Council.

From a player of the game, it bothered me every time they refereed to fel as "the fel". It should have just been called fel magic.

As much as I like Travis Fimmel, he could have been replaced along with the bulk of the human actors besides Khadgar and Mediv

Loved the CGI and every orc seen, especially the cameos of Grom, Kargoth & Killrog

I enjoyed it.

It had two main problems: the various orc clans being confusing and hard to tell apart.

The Guardian's evilness seemingly coming from nowhere (I know there's a lore reason but you've no way of knowing this watching the film)

Apparently it made a modest profit in the end, hope we get a sequel but I'd guess it's too big of a financial risk, even if a sequel would be cheaper to make.

>The movie could have been improved by including a 10 minute prologue demonstrating the destruction of Draenor and the rise of Gul'Dan and the Shadow Council.

The first 15 minutes were already a heap of expositiony gibberish jumping between arbitrary locations, I don't think I would have made it through any more.

>casting was awful
>no introduction to the world for people who aren't familiar with it
>confuses the fuck out of people who didn't know warcraft overworld/locations
>changed the lore in numerous places (garona started off as a human servant, doomhammer was never part of frostwolf clan)
>random lothar x garona romance subplot
>the king of stormwind planning some strategic war meeting in fucking goldshire inn just because Duncan Jones wanted to please wow players
>xD murloc sounds
I got triggered so many fucking times watching it

The movie is set something like 20-30 years before Warcraft 3 so it won't really help you story wise.

I had no fucking idea what was happening.

They could have easily showed a place like frost fire ridge or nagrand when it was beaming with life and then a shot of guldan at the altar of damnation

Anduin Lothar was boring as shit, forgettable and was a dickhead to Khadgar, the best and cutest character, for no reason.
The movie was pretty good though- not amazing, but definitely not as bad as people said it was.

I watched it for the first time last night and I pretty much agree. Its by no means perfect, but it's definitely watchable. The orc stuff was pretty cool.

There was no explanation for 90% of the things being on screen
>Kirin Tor
>The Guardian of Tirisfal
>Aegwynn
>Fel Magic
>Orcs and Draenei
>Draenor

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

You can literally guess most of that stuff. This is not James Joyce precisely.

It was repulsively bad. The CGI looked great but everything else was awful. Maybe if you're a WOW fag it resonated, but ultimately you're just being blinded by your obsession with what is essentially a toy for autistic children.

The movie was pretty disappointing, but I thought it was worth it just for Gul'dan. He saves the entire thing.

as long as you dont take it too seriously, yea

its on par with the Gremlins, its kinda campy but no harm done

>Expect Travis to be the best actor in the movie
>He's the worst

Agreed. This whole scene was pretty gud.
youtube.com/watch?v=pyQ8KpQQbwA

I liked it a lot, but I played several hours a day for several years, so I can't really separate the nostalgia from movie itself. But that half-orc prime

Yeah, him and Dunotan made the movie for me.

For being two entirely CGI characters they felt more real than the entire human cast

>it was worth it just for Gul'dan
agreed. one of the best villains i've seen in a while.

never played any Warcraft btw. i like how ruthless and nasty Gul'dan was.

The acting and pacing on the human side is piss poor.

It's a very unique film.

Some of the costume design on the human end, and their performances, is absolutely awful on paper, but ends up giving off a comfy DnD with your friends vibe.

The CGI looks incredible at parts, and the Warcraft universe has the best take on orcs.

>based dropped poster includes us warcraft fags in his endeavor

It's an honour!

For a post-LOTR fantasy movie it was half-decent.
Could have been better without them ruining the dark fantasy vibe by injecting comedy quips and slapstick combat.

It was as good as this, and you can't really ask for much except for the actors to do better than the CGI.

youtube.com/watch?v=c2vm-QjK2xQ

as a retired wow player i really enjoyed its attention to detail and how accurate it was to the franchise

but i can imagine how weird it might have seemed to someone unfamiliar with the IP so im not surprised it didnt do as well as it could have

Yeah, it was a good movie. Hope there's a sequel.

The Guardian helping the portal and turning into a demon is something that is impossible to know why its happening without lore knowledge.

i thought it was shit, but I'm still hoping for a sequel

i care about the story and it's still better than Marvel digging up yet another completely obscure yet boring super hero to make yet ANOTHER origin story

>kazinsky
>jewish
Who would have thunk?

Yeah that was a bit odd.

Warcraft has always had humor, but not at face value. Like clicking on the units enough times would make them fire off some memes, but if you didn't look for it the games took themselves pretty seriously.

Of course WoW is a meme fiesta but most Warcraft fans disavow 99% of it.

This.

I came away thinking this is the first good vidya-related film ever. Pretty big achievement unlocked.

You'll be pleased to know that Marvel recently confirmed they got back the cinematic rights to Namor.

Even though the pacing was terrible and having no idea what the fuck was going on for the first half hour or so, I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.

>first half hour
>everyone looking for medivh for his advice
>medivh comes
>yep, it's evil

Alliance biased shits.

youtu.be/IHgRAlkpxJw

>Garona will never emascualte you

>Good pacing
That was the main issue with the movie. It feels like the movie was cut too short, or rather they tried to pack too much into this at same time.

If this was purely CGI, it would be one of the best CGI movie ever.

sooner or later they will make something that flops, which will mark the beginning of a downward spiral which eventually leads to the end of capeshit

I only played the RTS games and I disliked the film.

I think Black Panther will be the first big flop. Not a well known or interesting hero and it's being released alongside Gigantic which suggests Disney have no confidence in it.

I meant good pacing in terms of good scene editing. The scenes never felt too long and always served the plot. I guess it's more my preference since I like movies that are straight-forward, special action ones. But I understand some people might have found it a bit too much.

It was decent interms of people already familiar with the warcraft, however it alienates those without any knowledge.

Still longer scenes and more transitional scenes that explain the inbetween would be a plus even for a lorenut. Who doesn't want more lore on screen?

People familiar with the lore will get the references and the importance of locations, names, named items, etc., but it's all simple enough fantasy shlock that anyone else can follow the movie.

>Good pacing

This has to be bait.

It was glorified larping. Terrible piece of shit.

I was surprised and impressed at the clarity of some of the fights given that it was a CGI venture. Typically with stuff like Transformers or whatever you can never tell what's going on. The fights were pretty clear though.

>good pacing
Pacing was atrocious, one of the worst I've ever seen.

Fimmel and Foster both felt wrong for their roles. Medievh looked and sounded like a tired old drug addict.

Orcs were top notch though, they looked great

part of the problem was the studio had them cut a lot which in my opinion would have helped the pacing among other things

The movie's pacing was shit because they edited it down too heavily because they did not want to spend more money finishing the cgi and a shorter movie means more viewing times in a day.
It comes across as heavily disjoineted with a lot of information missing making it difficult to appreciate and follow for even someone familiar with the setting.
I thought the most retarded thing was Medivh's corruption with no hint or Sargeras or the Legion as everything was relegated to the Fel like it was a horrible drug and pollution all at once.

You missed out of BC and Wrath

Should have just focused on the Orcs. The human portions of the film are some high school play shit

Orc scense were kino
Human scenes were garbage