The great debate

The great debate

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=djAhwNzf8Qs
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2382118/The-real-life-Hannibal-Lecter-revealed-Thomas-Harris-inspired-Mexican-doctor.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what's to debate?

hannibal for mads was some garbage television that gave him some room to practice acting which he didn't get good with until rogue 1

I want another Hannibal movie god fucking damnit

I actually enjoy the three! Brian Cox is pretty good to as the most realistic portrait of Hannibal.
youtube.com/watch?v=djAhwNzf8Qs

>he didn't watch the hunted

and Petersen best Will

>short swarthy overweight welsh man vs charming and handsome danish man

Hmmmmmmm

Hopkins in Red Dragon > Hopkins in Lambs > Mads > Cox

Debate me.

MADS
A
D
S

Red Dragon he had that weird little ponytail in the flashback

Based as fuck.

>ywn have a psychopathic serial killer with a suave ponytail as friend

Mads' Hannibal is how I actually imagine a fedora-tipper would write Hannibal.

He's a really boring character that people, for reasons beyond me, fall in love with.

they're both pretty great and hopkins was always my hannibal. But Mads was just so good and we spent more time with him so that takes it for me.

Hopkins outside of confinement was actually pretty lacklustre. Might've been Red Dragon's poor writing, but at the start, Hopkins was laughable.

As a result I give the edge to Mads. He was good in and out.

Mads

Hopkins seemed too violent and psychopathic
Like he'd hurt people just because he could
Which isn't very much like Hannibal's character is suppose to be

i like mads' hannibal but he's too perfect
hopkins is a bit more insane which makes him a lot more interesting

which one?
Actually I found him really similar Hugh is like the gay version of Petersen.

Norton.

Don't forget Edward Norton

Either is better than Norton, no idea what they were doing with that casting (except star power = box office, I guess, but you'd think Hopkins would be enough)

One is fanfiction, the other isn't. So hard to see that as a debate.

I want to forget

Now throw in Sherlock and Dr. HOUSE... I'd pay to see that debate

You're fucking wrong. He's the only one who played the character convincingly. The others were too detached and fearless.

Norton played it vulnerable as fuck.

It's all fan fiction, it's literally based on a book

Toothfairy vs. Buffalo Bill

>80931452
The real question is Who would be the better dinner host?>

I thought Hopkins was great and he was justifiably hailed as one of the best portrayals of a psychopath in a movie for the longest time.

After Hannibal I went back and re-watched it for the 6th time or so and I couldn't stop feeling that Hopkins was chewing the scenery.

What made Mads so good was the restraint. It was better. Unfortunately the show went off the fucking rails completely and isn't a complete story.

So how do you judge it then? Mads is better but what he's in is unfinished and gets stupid. Hopkins is in an all time classic movie.

It's the first time I see anyone advocating for Norton... Or this is bait?

Touche, but while Hopkins doesn't fit the look of how he was originally supposed to be, he popularized the version that most closely related the character whereas Mads character was turned into an artsy homo.

when I mean fanfiction, I suppose I'm talking about deviating from the character. Even if hopkin's doesn't look how I thought he should look book to movie etc. He still had everything else

Mads has the aesthetic look but nothing else about his character fits.. so I guess the great debate is they're polar opposites of same character.

It's not. Graham is a borderline schizoid psychopath himself. Norton is the only character who showed that depth. He was close to getting off on Dolarhyde's murders himself.

Mads character even during season 1 is completely different from how the character was supposed to be.

pleb

>art is gay lol

fuck off

Did you just forgo looking at subtext between Will and Mad's character? The guy that created the show can't help himself. Which is why he turned both male leads into secret gay lovers.

They weren't gay lovers.
Will and Hannibal loved each other purely platonically

the only homo thing in the show was the final scene imo
i mean it was gay as fuck but other than that this homolust stuff is pretty exaggerated

Mads Hannibal is complete garbage. Stop letting your infatuation with him cloud your opinion over how bad his portrayal was and how awful the tv series was.
Load of pretentious shit.

Why's that not a valid take, though? The actors had enough chemistry to make it work

Thanks for reminding me to rewatch Manhunter and To Live And Die In LA, William Petersen is the GOAT detective actor.

but no, Norton looks like a pretty Self confident Californian boy when Will supposed to look half autistic

one thing about mads hannibal is that he's so fucking inconsistent. he can barely take on that gay shitter cellist that attacks him with a chain or whatever but he can wipe an entire fbi squad to frame chilton without breaking a sweat

Appearance is secondary in this context

h-hehe h-hey guys I hope you didn't forgot about m-me hehe..

Mads is our national treasure

Oh my fucking god

I found the Tooth Fairy's backstory to be more interesting in both adaptations, it's also kind of sad knowing deep down he wants to stop but can't control the "great red dragon" inside him.

Buffalo Bill is still god tier though, Mason Verger isn't half bad either.

Bill's MO is nightmare material but then so is Dolarhyde's

It's a tough call.

Because neither Hannibal nor Will are gay in the books, which was biggest complaint about the show and reason why ratings took a massive dive. It also didn't help that it lived in friday death slot.

I'm not opposed to adaptations changing things but this thread is arguing about character portrayal and at most charitable, mad's character stops being hannibal in season 3.

which is why Hopkins will always be the go to hannibal. His limited appearance in SOTL helped character greatly.

It looked pretty gay despite what you think is going on under the hood, metaphorically speaking.

I was in the live threads, the show was tailored to be gaybaiting and threads proved that. That and stupid pumpkin meme.

dolarhyde because he ate the painting the absolute madman

they hinted at a gay attraction fairly early, something which has become really common in TV lately. I'm not sure if its because pseudo-intellectuals think conflating platonic love with sexual attraction somehow makes for smart writing, or pandering to teenage fangirls

>I was in the live threads

oh come on man like the live threads wouldn't be the #1 place to exaggerate the homolust in the show

Mads

Yeah they're both made of nightmares

>Watch your family around you getting stabbed/shot to death and having mirrors placed in your eyes
or
>be stuck in a hole in some godforsaken basement for a week and getting starved so you can eventually be shot and have your skin be used for some wacko's woman suit

Buffalo Bill's basement is pure horror though which gives him a bump up on the creepiness factor for me.

i remember that, it was insane. Was that supposed to be a print, or the actual watercolor by Blake?

Yea, Bill wins this one. Fucking hell.

Fucking Edward Norton ruined Red Dragon, it was pretty shitty to begin with but Norton just made it that much worse.

The actual original

>most realistic portrait
He's one of the most unrealistic characters ever written in fiction though.

Or gay people in the threads were just reacting to what they were seeing?

Imagine if you will hot chicks were on screen and you saw some 90's braless nipple action or something. It would be subtle but as males, a good deal would react to it.

Animal reactions to subtext are a thing. If anything they were only pulling on gayness that was there.

>>be stuck in a hole in some godforsaken basement for a week and getting starved so you can eventually be shot and have your skin be used for some wacko's woman suit

By the way, sometimes he'd slip a noose around their necks and push them down the stairs so they'd be strangulated or break their necks.

Norton completely missed the main point of Graham as a character: that he's good at what he does because he's just as messed up as the people he hunts. Norton played Graham as if he was gifted, the others played him as if he was damaged, which is how the character was written.

the irony is that the person who inspire Harris to create hannibal lecter was gay
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2382118/The-real-life-Hannibal-Lecter-revealed-Thomas-Harris-inspired-Mexican-doctor.html

Hugh, the one on the top.

Mads hands down. Hopkins seemed to ham it up.

Hopkins was more intimitating and scary
Mads' acting was like poetry and beatiful
I would say both did what they were trying to do perfectly.So its a tie

>Norton played Graham as if he was gifted

I disagree.

And if they were adapting that character, I'd agree with the other user about portrayal by mads, but they weren't doing that, they were adapting hannibal.

The TV show was shit for plebs.

Manhunter was the best movie from the book universe, but Silence of the Lambs was the best "fun" movie. Everything else is like squeezing warm shit.

this

something wrong user? Y-you liked my performance r-right? hehe

This movie doesn't exist.

The tv show played Will like he had super powers, Norton played him as if he was just a regular cop from my point of view. Even to point of showing him getting fucked up and shot while in hiding or whatever.

It really saddens me that we'll never get another movie with the same atmosphere and tone as Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal was such a fucking disappointment of a movie.

>i'm the hannibal baby!

M
FOR
MISCHA

I know, that's the Irony
A gay seral killer who inpired a great book character who inpired a homolust fanfiction

why are you here?

*inspired

Norton was just a regular detective, he never put himself into the mind of the murderer.

>You know, we get a lot of detectives here, but I must say I can't ever remember one as attractive.
What the fuck was his problem?

best Chilton

I actually liked Rafael's or whatever his name's Chilton better. You could see power hunger there and how it was played.

>secret
Did you even watch season 3?

we can all agree he hammed it up a tad too much, right?

Raul Esparza, the problem is he has so much charming.

I mean, honestly he had a point. If Clarice wasn't somewhat alluring she'd probably never solve th thing

lol

>tfw no tv series with Hannibal causing mischief around the hospital and pissing off Dr. Chilton while Barney secretly helps out with his pranks

Am I the only one who can't stand the performance of the Verger brothers in the series?

The actor looks close enough like Chris Evans to make the character 11/10

DELET THIS

Hopkins IS Hannibal Lecter, but Mads did a pretty great job.

Wait... Is that Burrell?

muh waifu

while she looks pretty weird, I can understand why guys would drool over her. 90s claire danes is yeah..

Holy fuck I just realized it's Sugar from Banshee

holy shit you're right, I never noticed that.

This fucking scene. I've never been more pissed off on my entire life. Making their relationship just some retarded "DUDE HOMOS LMAO" Tumblr fanfiction shit

>I've never been more pissed off on my entire life
>on my entire life

We all know that feel. To imagine that you will never suck on a penis that belongs to such a qt