Why do people hate Robert Rodriguez?

Why do people hate Robert Rodriguez?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QiS1ICALG40
youtube.com/watch?v=CAtDt_qjQ4o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because he's a gimmicky director with shitty taste.

>not remaking Escape From LA

???

Based Jay

Because for some reason i see him fuck up a classic that shouldn't be rebooted.

Escape from L.A wasn't so bad if you can take away the basketball sequence and surfing parts it would've actually been a great sequel.

I think it's more to do with the movie he;s remaking in this case. I don't think anyone should be trying to remake Kurt Russell classics.

nah fuck him, he hates LA

Poor John carpenter he doesn't deserve this. First The fog, then Halloween, then the thing, now THIS. Which one of his movies are they going to ruin next? I hope it's not big trouble in little China

Because where the fuck is Spy Kids 5???

He's an unremarkable director at best. He loves Carpenter though, so I don't think he'll fuck this one up too bad.

They're apparently remaking Big Trouble In Little China with The Rock in the lead role.

Zombie's Halloween films are good though.

Escape From LA was a parody of sequels (and Hollywood and extremist politics) and the bombastic, over-the-top nature of the basketball and surfing scenes made the movie better, not worse.

he is like a really shitty tarantino

STOP. NO MORE

Watch yourself, Robert.

hes nothing like tarantino, you just think that because theyve worked together

eh. i've never felt an original movie has been ruined by any sequel, reboot, prequel, or remake. i can always go back and watch the original film in question and enjoy the hell out of it. i don't get where this ruining movies concept comes from unless it's something like what George Lucas and Spielberg did with ET and Star Wars (greedo shooting first, walkie talkies, etc).

no its because he is just a shit version

whenever i watch his non-spy kids stuff it comes across as something tarantino would do if he had way less talent. at least the movies i can think of that he has made like dusk til dawn, planet terror and machete.

basketball sequence was great though

Escape From New York is a shitty movie, Escape From LA is much better

Does anyone else think Jay is kind of a dope? His comments are always so obvious, he's always missing jokes, and he never has an opinion until he knows what everyone else's is. I honestly prefer fatbeard and aidsmoby at this point.

Everybody hates spics.

because he's a hack who makes garbage

Greatest scene in the movie. That WebM should include that look Snake gives after he won.

Fuck Hollywood needs to listen to some new writers or something.this is getting stupid

Jay really is your typical remake hating redditor.

Even if John Carpenter gives every blessing to his protege Roderiguez, he still hates it.

People like Jay dont actually appreciate film. The make it into an identity construct that CANNOT be violated.

Nerds are the worst.

Disagree on all points

Rodriguez hasn't done a good movie in 20 years.

Because he has legit talent but wastes it on making dump B movie crap.

>Machete sucked
>Spy Kids 4 sucked
>Machete Kills Sucked
>Sin City 2 sucked

Gee I wonder why

Bob Rod is bretty good, idk.

>inb4 snake has to rescue the president who is a thinly veiled parody of Trump

He's the single reason Sin City was made, and made it near flawless to the comic.

Sin City 2 though, easily his worst movie. Nothing made sense to the continuity.

WRONG!

>make assumption
>generalize
>all the while defending a 30 year old sequel to a movie for 'nostalgia' 's sake

yep, I'm on Sup Forums after all

basketball scene was fucking great you pleb

Well Sin City is a weird comic to adapt, just seems like the slice picked for the first was choice and the slice picked for the second was a mess.

From my point of view it is you who is wrong!

This one I don't think is a sure thing, but if it is it would be out of love for the original not just a cash grab. Still doubt they could pull it of.

>Sin City 2 easily his worst movie
>not Sharkboy & Lavagirl
>not Shorts
>not any of his Spy Kids sequels

Sin City is massively overrated btw. It's stays very true to the comic, but that definitely doesn't make it good.

>he lets him die/kills him at the end as a TWEEEST

you know is coming

It's over user, I have the high dubs!

Sin City has great style, good performances and cool noir plot. Top 3 Rodriguez in my opinion

Lol but he's looking forward to the new Halloween. Check your facts.

welp

Eh, I haven't seen his kid movies at all.

I think Sin City is massively underrated due to it's technical aspects. And that's exactly what makes it so good, what the fuck? It stays nearly identical to the comic but in full live action, which is why it is so amazing. To get 2D characters with no voice to be played by the perfect actors for the roles.

I honestly believe you've never read all the comics.

he's going to memely gimmick it up with all his meme gimmicks

>remaking Escape from New York or even LA
Please god Hollywood stop, please, I'm actually honestly begging you.

You'd be wrong. I read all the comics when I was 13. I liked them then. Frank Miller is an unbearable edgelord.

LAUREN
A
U
R
E
N
I'm dying

>Bitches don't know bout my indie film awesomeness
In all seriousness this does not need a remake

Rodriguez isn't a bad choice because he's undoubtedly a fan of EFNY and Carpenter in general. But I think Jay's frustration is moreover about them still trying to remake/reboot this franchise, regardless of who is involved.

Now they're talking about making it a prequel about Snake's early years? It keeps getting worse and worse and the chances of it being good are less than 1%. I share his sentiment. It needs to be left alone.

Good, but no Sigourney.

yeah, but don't you want to find out Snake's real name?

Fortunately, they've all been stale and boring enough to fall into obscurity, just like this and the Big Trouble remake will. When you mention those movies twenty years from now, people will still assume you're talking about the Carpenter version. Hell, even now if you mention those (aside from Halloween), people will assume that.

I see you failed to mention Assault on Precinct 13 though. I didn't see the remake but I can safely assume it's shitty and falls into the list.

his name is Iroquois

you forgot Assault on Precinct 13

also big trouble and starman remakes are in development

John Carpenter remade three movies himself

>Even if John Carpenter gives every blessing

Carpenter will give his blessing to any remake or expansion of his creative work. He's old and likes getting more money for doing nothing.

When Rob Zombie called him for his blessing on the Halloween remake, nervous about talking to one of his idols and prepared to get turned down, Carpenter just said, "yeah, fuck it, I don't care".

Why can't they at least go the Rocky route and do a soft reboot featuring old Snake. That way at least Kurt Russel can be in it. it's absolutely retarded not to include him.

>not "Escape from Mexico"

he remade 1 mediocre movie (The Thing) and made it a perfect classic

dying to put my Big Beaver Cock in your Little Lauren Larynx

actually it's two, village of the damned

No. Nor do I want to see him fighting in wars or receiving medals or falling in love or how he lost his eye or when he got his tattoos because none of that shit is relevant or necessary. We know who the character is and the only actor that should play him is too old. So, retire the fucking character.

Wait till they announce that some black actor will play Snake. They want to spit in our faces and get the money from our pockets at the same time.

I thought planet terror broke some conventions of the horror genre and it is probably underrated.

>Even if John Carpenter gives every blessing to his protege Roderiguez, he still hates it.
He has said multiple times he doesn't give a shit about Hollywood anymore, he's so jaded and disillusioned at this point he just cynically yes to everything for free money. He originally publicly supported Rob Zombie then shat on him after the movies were made.

Rodriguez is a lazy hack with no understanding of cinema.

Christian Nyby hated Carpenter's The Thing, because it was so radically different from his own. That's what a good remake is supposed to do, piss people off. When you got someone giving you blessing, no adversity, that's when you need to worry.

>movie made in the style of low-budget exploitation movies from two or three decades previous
>broke some conventions

a man of good taste

yes, compared to the shit they put out for the last decade in theaters. Also note some article far back stated hollywood would never push a big budget horror flick again (r).

christine
they live
Memoirs of an Invisible Man
the thing
Village of the Damned
Vampires

that makes it six

Howard Hawks didn't make mediocre movies. Well, except for Rio Lobo.

Only The Thing and Village of the Damned of those were remakes.

Honestly that would be the best route.

>2075 Mexico is hell hole torn apart by civil war and famine
>citizens being murdered by cartels or police
>El Serpiente is tasked by President of the United States (thinly veiled Trump reference) to go south of the border to rescue his daughter (complete with thinly veiled incestuous references)
>backstabbed by President "Frump," El Serpiente must make his was through the wartorn hellscape of Mexico across America's heavily fortified border (100 foot high wall patrolled by drones)
>El Serpiente blows it up and Mexicans flood through because Robert Rodriguez has no subtlety

Topical and at least semi-original.

>adapting a novel is a remake

are you retarded?

adaptation
adaptation
adaptation
yes
yes
adaptation

someone could even argue that The Thing is an adaptation

They already made that movie, it was called Elysium.

ah, right

i think in a way grindhouse happened because of the clout tarantino has. if it had been rodriguez solo, yeah,maybe it wouldn't have been funded at all. (and, from what i've read, the short versions that they screened in grindhouse were a lot better than the full-versions they ended up releasing individually)

studio horror movies seem to go in cycles, moving from one trend to the next. right now the big money is in cinematic universes. maybe eventually we'll get another hostel or saw and they'll make studios look back at horror as a good investment

(now, i thought hostel was bullshit, and i dug saw, but i'm not using them as an example of good movies. rather, an example of how they basically broke in a new era of dark, violent horror that was really unprecedented as far as mainstream movies concerns, obviously the indie splatter subgenres had them beat by a decade or two)

It'd be keeping in line with Carpenter's ideas, at least, seeing as how the President in Escape From LA was a thinly veiled parody of Reagan.

This actually sounds good. Fund it

Escape from NY is fucking kino.
Escape from LA falls in the category of "this movie is objectively cheesy and retarded but I fucking love it anyway"

If they HAD to revisit the franchise, they should've done a sequel featuring Old Snake, and still played by Kurt Russell.

>remaking a mediocre flick

oh noes call the national guard

>It stays nearly identical to the comic but in full live action, which is why it is so amazing.
Which is why it's trash, it's not an adaptation, it doesn't translate the specificity of the comics medium to the film medium. Because comics is a static medium, every frame is conceived to have as much visual impact as possible, using techniques to give the illusion of movement, etc. Film IS movement! Rodriguez just copies frames without understanding what makes them work in their own medium, and in cinema they lose all their power. Pic related as example. Comics frame just screams high impact, it's painful, as painful as comics can be. Film frame is just dull and boring. Does it have the same impact? No. Now compare with something from a film with the exact same scene, but done cinematically, using sound design, close-ups, camera movement, editing techniques, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=QiS1ICALG40

It doesn't look like the original frame exactly BUT it is much more faithful to the feelings it evokes, the techniques it uses within its own medium, to create emotions. When I watch this scene, I feel the craziness, the physical pain, etc. intensely.

A good adaptation, being faithful, often means a betrayal, but what matters most is understanding how works are conceived according to their own medium's techniques.

>Make a joke about it
>It comes true

I'm not reading that shit.

It stays true to the comic. Okay. You don't like that, wow. So fuck off.

I'm glad it's him desu instead of some no name gun-for-hire.

Most of Carpenter's films have been ruined by remakes by now.

At least we can get something on the level of Planet Terror.

Not gonna watch lol

I pity the review cucks who actually have to watch all this shit

I haven't watched any remakes in years. I will not taint my memories or rewatches with this cancer

>Most of Carpenter's films have been ruined by remakes by now.

only if you are dumb enough to watch them

Not that user, but he does have a point. Sin City was really cool as an exercise, but that's not automatic greatness. It's like the 1998 shot-by-shot remake of Psycho. It's impressive and interesting, I guess, but it's not a masterpiece just because it's an impressive accomplishment.

>only if you are dumb enough to watch them
This, desu.

Though I did watch the Thing remake but purely due to waifu reasons.

I forgot to attach the picture I went through the trouble of picking out and saving to my computer, so, yeah.

Robert Rodriguez will never make anything as kino as this.

youtube.com/watch?v=CAtDt_qjQ4o

didn't seem like Reagan at all besides being an old white guy.

throw in a kurt russel cameo and I'm sold. this and predators and blade runner may be good.

>just think of all the new movies and ideas we are missing out on

>Zombie's Halloween films are good though.

They aren't though

Why not do a third movie, Escape From Earth?