>Cannibal Holocaust reference

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uNx4RbeSpYM&t=54s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How?

Except spider leg

Best scene in the film desu

This was better than Moonlight

There were many odd choices throughout the film from the Cannibal Holocaust reference to the multiple references to Metal Gear to the odd decision to kill the lead female lead off halfway through the second act by drowning her in giant ape ejaculate.

I wish they killed her off, Tom hiddleston and her were the worst parts of the movie by far

>multiple references to Metal Gear
wut?

>tfw a non-anime film based off of/inspired by anime is better than any of the actual anime film adaptations coming out this year

I just wish they had used practical effects instead of CG, it would've looked a lot spookier. But maybe that'd be too much for a pg13 movie.

It was annoying to see so many other characters die offscreen or within minutes yet she survived so much shit that should have killed her.

The boat is called the Gray Fox and there were a few MGS flavored moments like the gas mask + katana bloobath and John C. Reilly going full weeb

The director is making the MG movie next.

>Vietnam parallels in the Vietnam era using Vietnam imagery

Do Millennials even care about Vietnam?

Not really. It's just an excuse for a retro aesthetic which allows them to dress the characters in kooky clothes (Nam shit) and have a kooky soundtrack (It Ain't Me) and and shallow imagery (Nixon bobblehead) but none of it has any real substance.

The X-Men Apocalypse movie I just saw does the same thing with the 80's

>that scientist who got his limbs torn off in midair
Really spooked me desu

This movie goes to show that ratings crybabies are completely full of shit. It's PG-13 and keeps a cap on the explicit gore but it's a million times more horrific than any big budget R film in years because of creativity

XD

How the hell is Kong like an anime?

Man this movie was dull as fuck.

I wish they stopped forcing these boring cookie cutter characters on me. At least the monster fights were fun though.

>If I were going to break it down for people, I’d say you obviously have Apocalypse Now and just the era of ‘70s filmmaking, with films like The Conversation, too. Also Platoon was an inspiration, and the South Korean film The Host as well. The entire Neon Genesis Evangelion series was a big influence."[24] Vogt-Roberts also cited Princess Mononoke as an influence on the approach and design of the monsters.[5] He cited Sachiel from Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cubone from Pokémon, No-Face from Spirited Away, and a creature from the 1933 King Kong as inspirations for the Skullcrawlers.

Personally the first half or so of the movie made me think of the alternate dimension in Devilman.

for real

Kong was a great movie, it combined humor and terror very well. The scene where Jackson lits Kong with Napalm was pure kino.

terrible post

I don't see many blockbusters but I saw this and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Yes the characters and plot were paper thin but the visuals were really impressive. It didn't have that horrible schizophrenic editing and lightning fast pacing and shaky cam shit that all blockbuster shave now. The director actually took the time to construct high quality and creative images. Plus the whole movie had that stamp of a single director's sensibility from the tone to the humor to the visual style all the way through despite probably being written by 50 executives in a boardroom.

I'll be pretty interested in seeing one this director does with more creative control in future movies.

terrible post

So what are the thoughts on this nigga directing Metal Gear?

Snake sure has tons of toys

>character dies out of nowhere for no reason
>birds have impossibly good strength
>death is barely even commented on by any of the surrounding characters
This film was so bad

>character dies out of nowhere for no reason
They were on fucking Death: The Island where characters were dying left and right

>birds have impossibly good strength
Please fuck off home to reddit with your epik nitpicking

>death is barely even commented on by any of the surrounding characters
They were on fucking Death: The Island where characters were dying left and right

Yep, I was positively surprised by the lack of a million cuts per 10 seconds.

The movie actually had pacing. It wasn't LET'S THROW AS MANY TRANSFORMERS AND SUPERHEROES INTO EVERY FRAME AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE AND NEVER TAKE THE FOOT OFF THE GAS SO AUDIENCES DON'T REALIZE THEY'RE LOOKING AT A BIG EMPTY GREEN SCREEN

>any MGS movie will either be too camp or too serious, with no inbetween
>the lead will either be a flavor-of-the-month meme actor or a block of wood

>they cast literally anyone but Hardy as the lead

Dead on arrival

We need decade of vidya shit before the grail MGS is tackled. Nolan's Batman couldn't have been the first cape movie.

MGS is a terrible choice for a movie, it's already a 10 hour movie with a shit plot apart from MGS5 which is actually a game.

>nge was a BIG influence
>we took influence from the first thing you see in the first episode

if you're gonna go weeb don't hold back

I see the NGE influence in the sense of scale more than anything

Dreadful movie for dialogue and acting. All the side characters were horrible, unfunny, and cringeworthy. Goodman, Jackson, C Reilly, Larson and Hiddlestone were fine but the comedy with the exception of maybe 3 scenes was just bad. The pacing was fine but it cut between scenes far too quickly and there was basically no character development given how many characters the movie was focusing on. Therefore when they died it wasn't sad or funny, just a shrug oh well there goes another.

The only surprise death was Goodman but even then I didn't really care. Cinematography and CGI is where the movie shines. Action scenes were hit and miss with some terrible explanations for why things are happening, and really poor judgement from the characters such as firing machine guns at Kong or the dude who tried to blow himself up to kill the monster rather than use the fucking grenade launcher on his back. Then there's the opening island scenes where the helicopters fly within a metre of Kong as if that's necessary.

I'm disappointed because this movie could've ben so much more, I appreciate that it was different to other giant monster movies in that they showed a lot of Kong, but this also meant there was no suspense.

You're forgetting that theres no blood anywhere to be seen when this violent shit happens

youtube.com/watch?v=uNx4RbeSpYM&t=54s
>shit movie
of course it had a bunch of references, that's all the director could muster.

more of dat ass, ejsus

He didn't use the grenade launcher because he wanted all of the explosives he had on him to explode at once.

He didn't even employ it once in the movie. Like did he not consider maybe one grenade launcher shot before the suicide?

Skull Island really is only good for Kong and John C Reilly, I don't think the soldier dudes were as awful as anyone makes them sound, they're about what you'd expect from a monster movie of this type but whatever.The physicality of the battles I thought was really great with the way there's a ton of scrabbling, grabbing and slipperiness between him and the Skullcrawlers. At the end of it all I'm just happy we finally, FINALLY have an American Kong movie where he fucking survives and will go on to other movies. I don't say that as a big fan of these cinematic meme universes but I do say it as a fan of Kong who's tired of being disappointed from childhood that Godzilla can tank every weapon known to man or alien but Kong always gets done in by regular man-made weapons.

SO much of a MGS adaptation depends on the writer.

The games are so cinematic the director could just lift half of the visuals shot for shot from them

I appreciated that no one involved with this gave a shit about remaking King Kong and just made a monster movie. We don't need another Kong remake.

TORETTO!