What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

siskelandebert.org/video/3XWA1XA4H999/Sister-Act--Alien-3--Encino-Man--Far-and-Away-1992
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_3#Development
movingimagesource.us/articles/grand-openings-pt-1-20100920
rogerebert.com/mzs/the-unloved-part-1-alien-3-david-fincher-sigourney-weaver-feminism-science-fiction-heroine
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nothing.

Daily reminder that Aliens > Alien > Alien Ressurection > Alien 3

fincher had barely any control, it's all on the wiki page

Audiences

this

I really like the movie, but that chase scene to trap the alien into the mold is really bad. They should have concentrated more on Ripley and the Company

Right answer.
Fuck off back to your echo chamber.

ward and fincher each wanted to do their own take or continuation on alien.

the downies wanted aliens. those that knew better and/or saw the problem wanted out, badly.. but they had to keep going.. and for a movie production it was almost structurally incompetent.

im surprised it isnt much worse. i would go so far as to say that the assembly cut is almost even a good movie.

just way too many cooks in the kitchen with much different ideas of what it should be.

That cgi puppet alien. What was fincher thinking???

Every single fucking thing.

Nothing. Only virgin fanboys wanted more of Colonial Marines and they expected a darker and weak sequel.

studio interference

still, A3 is under valued

>producers hired a string of writers who wrote crap
>they finally hire Vincent Ward who has way-out wooden planet idea, they start building sets for that script
>during pre-production they try to get Ward to change his story to a prison planet
>he tells them to fuck off, eventually quits; producers change the script to a prison planet
>producers find a director who doesn't fight with them over the script but also turns out to be a perfectionist who takes forever to get his shots done
>Fincher is a pit bull; daily fighting and stress on Pinewood set plus constant pressure from Fox back in Hollywood
>Fincher walks off the set before principal photography ends
>unidentified person, probably Walter Hill, finishes principal photography
>structural changes to plot in editing, removing subplot and changing climax slightly; changes covered in blu-ray docs plus can be seen in the novelization

tl:dr producers couldn't nail down the story and hired a director who made them crazy and caused them to hemorrage cash

Ebert called Alien3 "probably the best looking bad movie I've seen in a while". Jump to 8:14.
siskelandebert.org/video/3XWA1XA4H999/Sister-Act--Alien-3--Encino-Man--Far-and-Away-1992

>it's all on the wiki page

>Fuck off back to your echo chamber.
Irony.

Just about everything behind the scenes. The end product is remarkably good considering the absolute disaster that was the production.

Assembly cut fixes dick and just extends the length with what feels like pointless filler and also neuters some painful parts from the theatrical version that I've come to appreciate over the years

also exchanging the well edited dog birthing scene vs emerging out of some random-ass ox cadavar fart is one of the most baffling decisions I've ever seen on film

It's really embarrassing when people actually think Alien 3 is good.

This film should be in the dictionary under "development hell." Fucking disaster start to finish.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_3#Development

Amazing it was even as good as it was.

>Aliens>Alien
Found the reddit

F.U.C.K. YOU ... I LOVED IT. Fincher Kino at its best!

Alien3 > Alien > Aliens > Alien Resurrection

I didn't think Ryan Reynolds should have died so early on it

There's a lot to be unhappy with in this movie buuuuuuut

>Elliot Goldenthal's score
>Charles Dance gives the best performance in the movie, which is saying a lot for someone who dies before it's half over
>Fincher's shots

movingimagesource.us/articles/grand-openings-pt-1-20100920

rogerebert.com/mzs/the-unloved-part-1-alien-3-david-fincher-sigourney-weaver-feminism-science-fiction-heroine

it's miles ahead of 4, which is why people aren't so hard on it.

I really hope they don't mess it up with this sequel that retcons 3 and Ressurrection.

literally: reddit.

aliens shat on everything that made alien GOAT, cameron turned one of the best horror/sci fi films ever made into generic action garbage.

All aliens movies are shit.

>hey don't do that
>they do it
>oh shit how did this happen
>android reveals themselves to be an android with ulterior motives
>airlock is jettisoned
>credits roll

really, lmao
all reddit does is jack off to kubrick and talk about how superior alien is to aliens

while alien is a decent horror movie, aliens fleshed out the series identity and was all around more enjoyable and memorable

james cameron is a better director than ridley scott

>Some say it is better to be insane in a sane world.
>Than ever sane in an insane world.

the first one works really well because everything in the movie universe is new.

we forgive those characters because they're blue collar wage cucks trying to a solve a problem they know nothing about and we hadn't seen the antagonistic blow a creature into space before.

My.Nigga.

>its been nearly 5 years since prometheus

I still remember (somehow) drunkenly stumbling around my city's downtown in an autistic fit because I was so heartbroken at how bad that movie was.

I found Sup Forums a week later.

>james cameron is a better director than ridley scott

>prometheus
Was for idiots to catch up. Nothing more. Nothing Less. A pity fuck.

fuck you i made a thread that formulated the question better, but didnt get any answers

what specifically did the studio-fuckers do to fuck it up? i dno

i know they were on his ass constantly, but what specifically did they demand?

Dude.

He hasn't made a good movie in sixteen years, and he has much more flops than anything approaching success.

Cameron still hasn't shit anything out as bad as robin hood or exodus.

>i know they were on his ass constantly, but what specifically did they demand?

Your premise is off the mark.
It's mentioned by just one person in the blu-ray documentary that they deal they made with Fincher was that they would give him a script and he would shoot it. Fincher was not writing it. It wasn't his baby like Aliens was for Cameron.

The studio's demand was that Fincher get on with it. Fincher shot Alien3 pretty much the same way he shot everything else in his career. He shot 99 takes for the opening scene in The Social Network and that was just two kids sitting at a table. The docs on the blu-ray aren't clear about it, but it also looks like Fincher had no prep time. Combine that with no script and being a perfectionist and it was a fucking mess for everybody. The fights were the producers telling Fincher either that he couldn't shoot something the way he wanted to or that he wasn't shooting it fast enough. That's it. Time is money, and 50-100 people standing around waiting for lights to be aimed plus building rental plus rental on a thousand other things is a lot of fucking money.

Dude he's doing a new Blade runner at least. Might save Harrison Fords career.

>and he has much more flops than anything approaching success

>Bishop had ulterior motives