Be Jay

>be Jay
>kick ass in the ratings for 12 years
>for no seemingly sensible reason, in '04, NBC decides they're gonna kick me out in 5 years
>"Don't worry Jay, we'll find something else for you."
>graciously hand off show to Conan
>As my contract is ending, NBC has strange idea of doing a 5x a week prime time talk show
>"It'll save us so much money vs scripted."
>not what I thought they had in mind 5 years ago, but I'm willing to work with along with them
>bombs
>Conan also wasn't able to maintain my kickass ratings
>NBC now has two contracts
>"Ok Jay, we'll put your show on at 11:35, but it can only be 30 minutes, then The Tonight Show will come after. You'll both still have shows. So would you be willing to cut your show in half?"
>"If that's what it takes for the best outcome for all, I am willing to sacrifice 30 minutes of air time."

>be conan
>throw a little bitch fit at getting pushed 30 minutes back
>won't take any compromise
>"It'll kill the show!" as if the show isn't already dying under my watch.
>"It's either me or him"
>they pick Jay
>the guy who's sevrence package would have been $100 million more than mine
>the guy who had good late night ratings
>the guy who was willing to take a bad situation of two guys getting messed around, and take 30 minutes off his show, while I got to keep my full time, just pushed back half an hour
>the man who didnt give them an ultimatum
>how did this happen?
>get 44 million dollar severance package (32 all for me, 12 split for 150 others, its only fair)
>take my 32 million dollars and go on a comedy tour bitching about how hard my life is
>find new deal on a cable channel
>show is ultimately weak ratings
>Jay may have won the 2010 network battle, but at least I won online polls, disproportionately voted on by younger people, who couldn't actually be bothered enough to watch my shitty show despite all their rally enthusiasm
>I have all my obnoxious young fan boys, still defending my honor after 7 years against GAY Leno
>mfw

Other urls found in this thread:

Sup
youtube.com/watch?v=-LQxMsqy1Ro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>be Jay Leno
>be unfunny

>be Conan
>be funny

this

The only good things big about the tonight show with jay leno was headlines

being funny ≠ being a mature, reasonable adult

yeah this is some real relevant shit
nigger why are you posting from the year 2010

>for no seemingly sensible reason
It's called a contract, brainlet.

I don't really care if Conan is a mature, reasonable adult. He's a comedian, he just needs to be funny.

>people don't talk about old movies/tv shows on Sup Forums

fpbp

why plan to get rid of a guy who's only 12 years in and kicking ratings ass?
As a business decision, it was stupid on NBC's part.
When Jay came back to the TOnight Show, his ratings were better.
My point was very obvious to anyone who wasn't a brainlet, like you.

>When Jay came back to the TOnight Show, his ratings were better.
to be clear, I mean they were better than Conan's tonight show ratings had been

Don't forget that pushing the entire schedule back a half hour would have effectively killed both Late Night and Last Call and Conan didn't think that was fair to do to Jimmy Fallon and Carson Daly.

ok, that has nothing to do with my point. COnan's fans and Conan during the 2010 news showdown were being ultra serious about it. It's not about which one was funnier.
For the network, it's about ratings and money, always. Why should they pour millions of dollars into something that isn't getting as good results as they want?
Would you keep paying money for a shitty shoe when the shoe store next door makes a much better shoe?
And they BOTH could have kept their shows.
Jay was willing to compromise.
Conan wasn't.

Who's to say it would have killed them?
It was a shitty situation all around because NBC was stupid enough to push Leno out to begin with. Leno was willing to compromise. Conan wasn't.

>Conan
>funny
Sup Forums.org/rules#global2

Bump

Why do you think Conan should have been expected to compromise? Zucker was afraid of losing Conan to a network that would pay him more so he manipulated him into staying by promising him the Tonight Show and he reneged. End of story. Conan didn't do anything wrong.

>distorting events to be a contrarian

Conan exploded because NBC negotiated the whole thing behind his back.

Conan only found out he's getting pushed back 30 minutes into land of diminished cultural relevance AFTER he read about it in newspapers.

Even Jay and his people were incensed because they thought NBC execs had already reached an understanding with Conan, and the mess made Jay look like a real bad guy who pulled the carpet from under Conan.

This debacle was the reason Comcast fired NBC CEO Jeff Zucker (who is responsible for turning CNN into a 24/7 Hillary shill channel) and SVP Dick Ebersol immediately after purchasing NBC from General Electric.

wtf I hate Conan now

Well someone needed to compromise. Should Leno have just walked away?
"Well they didn't fulfill my contract either, but for some reason I guess you just deserve it more, Conan. So I won't even ask any compromise on your part whatsoever but instead get screwed by having to leave entirely while you get the full deal. Because I shouldn't get anything out of this, even though we BOTH were getting screwed in relation to our contracts."

/thread

it's forgotten that after conan got the tonighht show, letterman came out about being blackmailed for having sex with staffers, got a ratings boost from all the free publicity

I liked conan back then and found
late night>conan>tonight show
had to change his comedy for the tonight show too much, only got good when he knew he was leaving

youtube.com/watch?v=-LQxMsqy1Ro

Ok, so the beginning of negotiation unfairly made lno look bad and conan had to find out in press. Doesn't change what I said. He still could have been a big boy and taken the compromise, just like Jay was willing to, as neither of their contracts could be 100 percent fulfilled unless one of them quit/was fired altogether.
Jay wasn't going to make it come to that but Conan was. He's the one who ultimately pushed it to that point and he lost.
>one late night debacle is the reason a CEO got fired
doubt it. it was probably a string of failures. and if you're gonna bring politics into this, most Conan fans were likely Obama faggot, and self righteous 'anti way sesss" "fuck middle america" faggots you'd find on college campuses.

>can't argue so resorts to stale meme

>Should Leno have just walked away?

in 2004 he could have said he wasn't retiring
told nbc he was keeping the show or moving, but instead he initially agreed to it

>Should Leno have just walked away?

Yeah. He agreed to amicably hand over the Tonight Show. If he wasn't prepared to do that, he shouldn't have agreed to it, and then waited in the wings like a vulture to snap his spot back up. Perhaps if he's taken a stance AGAINST NBC's shitty maneuvering, they might have given Conan a chance and Jay might have retained some of his legacy. He's almost universally hated for something that was 97% NBC's fault. I don't think four more years of Tonight Show could really be worth that, do you?

No, that was the primary reason.

The second reason was that they overpaid for the Olympics broadcast right.

well he 'agreed' to it because they were being stupid and were forcing out their great ratings late night host.
but even in a simpsons commentary from 2004, conan mentions how they're working on something else to give Jay.
in 2010, Jay currently had a contract with NBC, which wasn't going to be fulfilled.
and conan's ratings were shit.
Still, Jay wasn't going to take back the tonight show, as he already gave it to conan. He was going to do the Jay leno show, a shortened 30 minute show, at 11:35, while conan got to keep the tonight show for a full hour. leno wasn't trying to take that back.
so who deserved it more? you can't say, as both had contracts with NBC and both of their shows had flopped.
Jay was willing to compromise. Conan wasn't.
He made them choose. They chose Jay.
End of story.

Why would you continue to do business with a network that won't fulfill the contracts you sign with it, and that makes negotiations involving your job entirely without your input? When NBC was fucking people over, everyone involved should have walked out. Don't put up with that bullshit.

>Yeah. He agreed to amicably hand over the Tonight Show. If he wasn't prepared to do that, he shouldn't have agreed to it, and then waited in the wings like a vulture to snap his spot back up.
see

Ok, so that means Conan should have walked out too

man, lots of redditors outing themselves itt

>and conan's ratings were shit.

you keep bringing that up, but are you considering that jay might have fractured the audience by being on earlier on his own low ratings show?

>Still, Jay wasn't going to take back the tonight show, as he already gave it to conan. He was going to do the Jay leno show, a shortened 30 minute show, at 11:35, while conan got to keep the tonight show for a full hour. leno wasn't trying to take that back.

by taking the 11:35 spot jay was taking something from conan, remember how kimmel was marginal when he had to wait for nightline?

If jay negotiated in good faith nbc would have valued him more in 2004, instead of saying on air he could going to fox in 2008

jay reneged on his word
conan negotiated aggressively
one of those is morally wrong

I actually don't care if they're assholes or not. I just want to say that conan sucks since a long time ago.

Well then the point stills stands: you had two people with contracts.
Let's go further and say Jay would have been more screwed than Conan because he was getting fired from his primetime show, while in the proposed compromise, conan was only getting pushed back, not fired.
BOTH ratings sucked.
And maybe Leno wasn't an autist and still viewed the title and the length more important than starting at the exact same time to be the same show (the tonight show), so in his mind, he wasn't going back on his word as he wasn't taking away the tonight show from conan.
it was a bad situation overall. Jay was willing to compromise, conan wasn't

and if you say jay didn't get screwed because he 'agreed' to leave the show in the beginning then conan didn't get screwed either because he agreed to leave.
in reality, they both got screwed. but at least jay handled it with class and was willing to compromise. conan wasn't, which is fine but he shouldn't have been a bitch and made it jay's fault.

You seem like the only poster who isn't a total dipshit. Bravo.

watching sports championships with friends > watching sports championships alone > watching the news > watching regular sports matches >>>>>>>>>>>> watching twitch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> watching interview shows

OP here. I actually think they're both really unfunny.

>He's a comedian, he just needs to be funny.

Good luck being funny when nobody can find your show in the first place.

Op here. I agree. Late night talk shows are a long ago outdated format.
They existed as cheaper programming because not as many people were awake by that hour so they put on something cheap. But then came DVDs, and then came streaming services. Both made it possible to watch something vastly superior than fake celebrity anecdotes at any time of the day, including 1130 at night.
Why anyone still watches them makes no sense. Is the couch bullshit really better than a million different movies or tv shows available 24/7?

Look at these absolute plebs talking about the interviews.

These shows are about monologues and remotes, and Conan is untouchable in this area, particularly remotes.

The eternal GOAT for interviews was Letterman and Ferguson

TBS sucks. They just shitty shows like BBT and family guy. At least they don't show south park anymore. that is the shit of the shitfest.

In 2005, the reason why NBC wanted to keep Conan, as that Fox was rumored to be making a big push into late night. Late night shows are known to be cheap to make and command decent ratings, thus making them very lucrative. Fox was the only major network not in the game. Instead, they had Simpsons reruns that were getting stale. Conan was the best pick, as he held the young demographic that Fox wanted.

So why did Fox never enter the late night game? Family Guy. Reruns of that show during late night were doing well enough, that the affiliates were happy in terms of the cost of licensing the show versus the decent (albeit fourth place) ratings it was pulling in. And since both Jay and Conan didn't have the negotiating leverage of walking away to Fox's open arms, NBC figured both would take what they could get.

The big winner in all this was Fox. The fact that late night television is obsolete, and essentially trying desperately to go viral on YouTube, shows how far the format has fallen. Conan's "terrible" ratings back than were the same as today's leading ratings. The current and next generation of viewers are used to on demand entertainment. They have access to a bands performance not matter how obscure they are, and stand up comics as well. Celebrity interviews are not exactly rare. and YouTube is filled with short comedy skits.

Fox is not saddled with a produced show, pulling in less advertising revenue every year. What was a cash cow a decade ago, is now a white elephant.

>Late night talk shows are a long ago outdated format.

This.

The internet allows you to see douchebag entertainers anytime you want, so there's no need to watch any given show.

Ferguson was based.
Ferguson>>>Conan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Letterman

>Watching the news above sports

I'M STAYANDING HUHERE IN FRONT OF THE UN BUILDING, WHERE BIG CHANGES ARE BEING MAYYYYEED

Conan hasn't been funny in years.

or maybe you just turned 15 and got too mature for him

>watching local news
>complaining it's meaningless

? ? ?

his two best writers and performers went back to new york and work on other stuff

>thinking Late Night with Conan was funny
wew lad
You were probably 11 at the time though, so it's forgivable

I enjoy Craig's Sirius show. I have to drive all Friday afternoon/night for my job and his show is super comfy. Regularly talks about how his audience is mainly truckers and doesn't want to be boring and have them fall asleep.

Those guys look like edgelord jackasses that you think are the shit when you're in eighth grade

I'd take Conan over Leno any day of the week, but the hard reality is that the TBS show is stale, formulaic, and lacks innovation. Yeah, there are still some flashes of the greatness that was late 90s/early 00s Conan, but his memorable supporting cast (Joel, Max, the two Brians, etc) have all jumped ship and it just seems like Conan's on autopilot for the most part.

Bringing back Andy was a mistake. Nice guy, but Conan was much better when he relied on other misfits to be his foils.

And don't get me started on the interviews. All the hosts (except maybe Colbert) are guilty of this, but the current formula of asking a bunch of pre-arranged questions kills all spontaneity and unpredictability, and while Conan's laugh might not be as embarrassingly fake as Fallon's, make no mistake--it's fake.

He's tired, no longer willing to take enough risks, and it shows.

>be jay
>hide in closets to listen in on meetings

This. NBC could've invested in the future but didn't.

These guys were undoubtedly very creative. They would have been worth a few million more just to retain.