Why did it become a meme to hate this movie?

Why did it become a meme to hate this movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fJKtPJk3b2M
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_Ludens
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Honestly you've got a point broggo. It's not really any worse than the original trilogy (which kinda sucks btw).

Because E;R is the new plinkett

When people saw a black guy in the trailer

I think a big reason TFA gets hate that has nothing to do with the actual movie is that it was made by Disney.

The Disney buyout of Lucasfilm and their immediate decision to start making SW films as fast as possible just comes off as very cold business to a lot of people. People had made up their mind, before TFA came out, that Disney SW movies are just product and not movies.

When the comparison to A New Hope started being made after TFA came out, people got very negative, especially with the idea Disney's motive was just to make product that appealed to the long-term fans who knew REAL SW was Ep 4-6. Nostalgia money. Hating The Force Awakens was the result of that.

Why was it a meme to pretend it was good?

Because despite it being far better executed than the prequels the pretty shameless retread of ANH rubbed people the wrong way, and it's hard to be objective when you're getting rubbed the wrong way.

>Is TFA one of the top 4 star wars movies?
Yeah
>Is TFA's ripping off of ANH lazy, offputting, and makes everything in TFA feel hollow and pointless?
Yeah

If they had done something original people would have universally loved it.

Episode 7 is just as bad (or good?) as the prequels. There are three things that separate them:

1. The music is better in the prequels
2. The plot in the prequels isn't shamelessly ripped off from the originals
3. I was an adult when 7 came out

And that's it. All four of them are very mediocre movies. I will happily rewatch episodes 1, 2, and 3 over and over again, but when my little brother asks me to watch episode 7 with him I'll roll my eyes and drink enough rum that I can pretend to enjoy it.

Bitch has too many teeth in her mouth and Bodegas got the hips of a woman.

Absolutely shitty casting.

That and retconning the Empire to be a White Nationalist Party.

>prequels add midiclorians
>reddit cries waaaah ruined my childhood

>awakens destroys the ending of original and butchers the love story
>great sequel maybe a bit rehashy

This piece of shit is the worst star wars yet

>Episode 7 is just as bad (or good?) as the prequels

stopped reading there

>Is TFA one of the top 4 star wars movies?
>Yeah

I don't think it is. Rogue One was much better than TFA. Episode 3 was a little better than TFA. But TFA is definitely better than episodes 1 or 2.

except it didn't.

>That and retconning the Empire to be a White Nationalist Party.
The Empire is dead.
In 7 you only have the most extreme who would still remain with the "Empire"

No it didn't. The ending of episode 6 is incredibly ambiguous. Vader kills the Emperor, the Emperor kills Vader, the rebels destroy most of the Imperial fleet, and then they have a party. Episode 7 doesn't contradict this at all.

The only thing Episode 7 contradicts is the expanded universe books released between 1990 and 2015. I liked these books, but let's be honest, most of them were terrible, and they're certainly not original.

Except it literally did.

For like 30 years we were told that the Empire ended with Vader, Palpatine and the Star Destroyer II, then all of a sudden theres a fucking SUN Destroyer, and the empirwe never fucking went away at all.

Also, Han and Leia ARENT TOGETHER. That user you replied to was objectively correct.

>resistance defeats the empire
No it doesn't

>Jedi return
No they don't

>Leia and Han get together
AHAHAHAHAHA

TFA is literally the worst fuck you they could've made to Star Wars. It literally ruins Star Wars in ways prequels never managed.

you are retarded the Nr. 1 and 2 are perfect Nr. 1 is kinda bad now. but in context of the time its great.
Nr 2 is perfect and amazing only massive retards would say it garbage. it holds up perfectly even today, nr 3 has Tone issues, THE FUCKING EWOKS, but the throne scene, basically everything to do with Vader was goat

At this point I'd take back the EU, warts and all over what we're currently getting from the nu-canon in regards to what went down between VI and VII. It's that bad.

because its bad

People began to realise how stale, stilted and unoriginal it really is once you get past the shiny veneer of high production values.

Mary Sue.

because fanboys couldn't laud it as "star wars for a more adult audience" like R1

also if this is jenny, i love you and i masturbate to you every night.

Yeah, I agree. But personally, I find it impossible to argue that the EU is actually better than the new canon (except maybe the Thrawn Trilogy and Rogue Squadron series). It's all down to nostalgia.

I think of it this way. If I had watched Episode 7 at the age of 10 and read NJO/Legacy of the Force at the age of 18, instead of the other way around, which one would I think was better? Of course I'd think that 7 was great and the EU books were shit. That's all Star Wars is. It's just childhood nostalgia. That's why there is such a massive generational split in the way that Star Wars fans feel about the movies and about the EU material.

The really old Star Wars fans can pretend to care about dialogue/story all they want, but the truth is that they just want to feel the way they did in the 1970s and 80s. That's why they loved Episode 7 while so many people who were born after the original trilogy hated it. It's also why so many of us hate episode 7. And I'm sure that my little brother, who loves episode 7 (and will probably love 8 and 9), will absolutely hate episodes 10, 11, and 12, which will all come out in the late 2020s/early 2030s.

It was really never that good. It's just nostalgia.

>For like 30 years we were told that the Empire ended with Vader, Palpatine and the Star Destroyer II
Yes, a huge galactic empire just vanished without a trace with zero repercussions.

>Also, Han and Leia ARENT TOGETHER
Why would they? Did you expect them to live out their lives peacefully in a farm somewhere?

Leia got more important shit to do.
And Han isn't the domestic type.
How their relationship developed in TFA made perfect sense.

>How their relationship developed in TFA made perfect sense.
I disagree.

Thank god we have many experts on successful relationships here on Sup Forums.

>For like 30 years we were told that the Empire ended with Vader, Palpatine and the Star Destroyer II

No we weren't. What the hell are you talking about? The pre-Disney EU never said this, the Empire survived for so long after Episode 6 that Han Solo's son was in his mid-30s when it finally died. The Disney Canon also never says this, they have their own version of the Imperial Remnant, called the First Order (I have no idea why it's called the First Order, that makes no sense and that phrase doesn't actually mean anything).

>Why would they? Did you expect them to live out their lives peacefully in a farm somewhere?
>Leia got more important shit to do.
>And Han isn't the domestic type.

Of course not, but their personalities work pretty well together and would actually help them stay together. Leia would obviously take an important position in the New Republic. Han is incapable of doing anything other than flying into dangerous places or shooting stuff. Leia, as his wife and a high-ranking politician, can basically point him in the right direction and let him blow stuff up. I'm a little disappointed that Ep 7 chose to break them up, it doesn't seem right.

stop

you should probably kill yourself

The only thing I hate about Episode 7 is the way that Luke just gave up on being the new leader of the Jedi Order and went to hide in Ireland. It destroys everything we know about the character from the original trilogy.

In the originals, Luke fought tooth and nail to redeem Vader, who had murdered his two closest friends, tortured the other two, and chopped off Luke's hand. But for some reason, his nephew turns evil and Luke just runs away? Luke, who waltzed into the Emperor's throne room unarmed, who turned off his lightsaber and dared Vader to kill him, who threw his lightsaber away and let the Emperor electrocute him? He just gives up? Why?

Shitty, bland, directionless writing.

it's an objectively well made but dull and forgettable movie
it is the new Avatar, making big money, a lot of buzz while it's out, but in little time everybody forgets about it

His motivations are pretty unclear.
With all his fancy clues about his locations and everything. Seems a lot of effort for someone who just gave up and ran away.

I watched premier and hated it before any Sup Forums memes could alter my perception. Maybe all the """""nurds""""" jissing their pants drove me to the edge.

Sup Forums hated it long before it premiered

I was unhappy with the movie the second I exited the theater.

kill yourself autist

>I hated the movie before everyone else even saw it

is this the stereotype of the ultimate Sup Forums's angry contrarian hipster?

When everybody got to see it for themselves instead of just listening to the shills drone on about what a masterpiece it was.

It's in the same neighborhood as any of the Marvel garbage that Disney spits out nowadays. Most people don't seem to remember anything about it just like those Marvel movies.

I really didn't care about the nigg or the women which was the only thing people were complaining about. Yea maybe bb8 looked retarded but eh I still had expectations.
I was referring to all the le nurd jissing their pants after the movie ended.

>waah waah why does everyone shit on mah favorite franchise it must be a meme!

Fuck off back to Sup Forums you literal virgin manchild

I'm kinda glad that people are finally realizing just how inane and retarded this film was. So happy I didn't give disney my hard earned bucks and watch it in theatres

It's a good film. It has weak spots, just like all of the films in the original trilogy. People think they're superior because they talk down to other people for enjoying something. They're not and it's a boring fake version of individuality.

Because it's trash and even the pasty neckbeards and balding nu-males who spend a significant portion of their lives invested in this franchise know it

ha ha balding people are so dumb

Or maybe people didn't enjoyed it and genuinely felt it was a cheap shot to bring back something classic. You see it also with the new CGI remakes, people have some thrill, but after a while no one is really talking about it.

So we all agree that this film is tied with Attack of the Clones for worst of the franchise right?

They appear to be talking about it. They appear to have enjoyed it.

dude it's incredible how quickly opinion has changed on this film over the last year. Literally every time this film is referenced now is in the context of people (rightfully) criticizing it for being an unoriginal borefest. If it HAD got the proper scrutiny at time of release no one would be talking about it anymore

I watched it, it's trash. End of story

I AGREE

This

>expecting Niggers in Space: the Movie to be good

Just because the people who like it don't spend all day spamming boards about how much they liked it like a bunch of autists. They've moved on with their lives. Why don't you?

And so it is concluded.

The Force Awakens is at best a competent movie. There's nothing special about it. Nearly everything about it is blatantly ripped from better films and its attempts at being original fall flat on its face.

There's honestly no excuse for how much it borrowed from the Original Trilogy. And the new characters are quite lackluster. Rey is a terrible character. Poorly written and acted. Her over-competence robs the film of tension and undermines the other characters (villains and heroes). Boyega barely manages to overcome material that's Jar Jar Binks tier in its awfulness. Poe isn't even a character. Snoke is laughably bad and pales in comparison to The Emperor. And Kylo Ren is all over the place. I understand what the filmmakers were attempting to do with him, though he is far too ineffectual of a villain next to Rey and the lame Tarkin clone doesn't help matter.

The pacing goes off rails when the main characters leave Jakku and completely crashes and burns when the Death Star is abruptly introduced into the picture. Never-mind how this weapon comes out of nowhere, makes no sense, and completely distracts from introducing new material. Plus the amount of plot conveniences are staggering and the narrative is overly cryptic and often illogical. Of all the main films, TFA easily has the weakest score to date (unforgivable for SW film).

You didn't even need all of the nostalgia pandering. Show a few familiar faces and play the classic tunes at the right moments to inaugurate the ceremony. From there go your own direction while maintaining the spirit of the original films. Probably could have gotten away with repeating the hero's journey if they had an ounce of originality (new locations and characters types would have gone a long way) and dropping the retarded Super Death Star ending.

>Monogamy is pretentious

Believing the viability & desirability of long term relationships is a bit archaic mon ami.
Now it's a new ride every 2 years and an unfulfilled life.

Did you misquote?
I don't see any connection between the two posts.

i want off this ride

V>IV>RO>VI>VII>III>I>II

>Trash Jakku
Seeing the concept art for TFA makes me mad.

It's utterly soulless. The dictionary definition of soulless should have that image next to it. I'm surprised there wasn't a scene inside a trash compactor.

As I type this I just remembered there is a reference to the trash compactor.

The ride never ends my friend.
It never ends.

>implying Rey isn't a clockwork orange

switch RO and VI and this is correct

>Building a town out of the repurposed material of a fallen Star Destroyer.

This is far more interesting and sensible than what we got.

I think they're going to make FN and Rey seem more tortured in Episode VIII, probably by having them demonstrate more about the way they were raised. Some of the members of the Order may even demonstrate a more rationalistic side.

I don't know how anyone could have watched this and not immediatly have noticed it was just a rehash of Ep IV.

FN's going to be a trooper, natch

What the fuck is it with modern hollywood shitting out competent but soulless soft reboots?

It's not only TFA, Rogue One, but even films like Jurassic World, Star Trek, ID:R etc.

It's like they are all competent, but just so fucking tediously generic and soulless to anyone that holds Hollywood to any real standard.

FN was some serious wasted potential. Thought he might have been a chance to see things from a different perspective. Instead he changes sides on the drop of a hat and becomes nothing more than comic relief and a means to move the plot along. Could have given the "traitor" meme some depth by making him the right hand man of Kylo Ren or something (combine Captain Plasma and Finn). And maybe have Rey and Han gradually draw him to the Resistance over the course of the film. BB8 was comic relief enough.

Rey was a desperate attempt at appeasing feminists and pandering to women at the cost of decent storytelling. Kennedy already said males didn't matter. It's about getting into the purses of women and children's parents.

Rogue one was good though.

It's not a meme you normalfag trash. The film is rubbish.

RO was good for 80% of the film, though. While VI comes down to around maybe 30%.

A scavenger and a trooper will react very differently to external pressures than a princess and a smuggler, so they could still manage to differentiate their narrative. The aforementioned will comprise the random elements but Poe, Hux and Kylo will be the real ones to watch develop.

I really hoped FN would be our new Luke in which he becomes the Jedi and all. But no, Mary Sue has to be Space Jesusette.

>they could still manage to differentiate their narrative

Episode VIII and Episode IX might be significant improvements. And I hope they are. But that won't retroactively fix the problems of TFA. If anything it'll only serve to further highlight them.

it's a well known trick when you're making something that a lot of people are going to try and be critical of, first you make something very similar to the original, which cuts a lot of the criticism to "it's just a ripoff of the original". then you do the next one but you make it completely different. this is what happened with TFA and rogue one, TFA got a lot of shit and people are loving rogue one even though it has a similar style to TFA, because rogue one has a more inventive plot.

future star wars movies will be more original but the first one they brought out had to be a rehash or people would always complain that the original trilogy stories were better.

>but the first one they brought out had to be a rehash
No they didn't. Stop using that excuse. Just tell a new story well and make it feel like SW.

i've done this very trick enough times in my own work to know that it is extremely useful in these kinds of situations. if they'd brought out rogue one first, people would have hated on it a lot more, i guarantee it. cameron and disney are clever and they understand fanbase psychology pretty well

I genuinely hate how happy the main characters are.

>cameron
I assume you're talking about Jim?

youtube.com/watch?v=fJKtPJk3b2M

whoops, I confused JJ Abrams with James Cameron, my bad. but from listening to that video you posted, I think Cameron understands what's up with that first movie as well.

Do you think it's a good film?

I don't disagree that people like the familiar. But I just don't think there's any justification for the amount of borrowing. Every level of the film is saturated with it. Visuals, characters, music, writing, narrative. It's genuinely sickening.

One thing I appreciated was the 'Play Element of Culture' within the movie. It's not serious enough to be analyzed yet, but it's borrowing the conventions and courtly rules of the OT and turning it into something more evidently playful. Abrams is depicting how characters react, but not how they learn, grow, or fall into their social groove yet.

What's particularly weird is, George Lucas himself intended parallels between Anakin's story and Luke's.
>Desert youth leaves home and is introduced to the ways of the Force
>Mentor dies
>goes into space and takes the defining shot to destroy a space station and win the battle
>is attached to loved ones
>straddles the line between Light and Dark
>the major difference between them is the choice they made in that dichotomy
So far, much of this can apply to Rey, signifying a carry-over of an already established cyclical nature of the series. So it's really fucking weird that people talk about "Oh, it's just a rehash."

Except there was never a giant monster rampage aboard a spaceship, Rey actually fought a lightsaber battle in TFA and wasn't involved in the space battle, and she was introduced to the Force from two people who were not Jedi. There was no Stormtrooper protagonist in TPM or ANH, and the "search for a Jedi Master" plot in ANH was over pretty quickly.

The one thing that makes it closer to ANH than TPM is that TPM didn't have a charismatic pilot. Or really anyone you might particularly call charismatic.

She's honestly not that much of a Mary Sue. She's a terrible shot, nearly crashes the Falcon her first time out, fails her initial attempt at Persuasion (we never see that problem with Obi-Wan, Luke, or Anakin) and hits trees with the lightsaber nearly as much as Kylo Ren (compare Finn, who actually fights with some sense of precision). The only reason she seems to be successful at anything is because of the Force.

I thought it was pretty good. I immediately recognized what they were doing by ripping off a new hope and so the blatant copying didn't bother me as much; it's honestly what I would have done, no question about it. And the copying is easier to swallow if you think of it as a way to get better receptions to their movies in the long run. Do you think that disney's writers don't have any original ideas? I'm sure they can write original star wars stories, they just wouldn't use anything too new for the first star wars movie made by disney, because it would be too easy for people to say it sucked. With a rehash, people can't be too negative about it without also being negative about episode 4, which most would never do. It was the smart way to play it and I think it was pretty clever.

No it wasn't. I literally don't remember a single thing about that movie aside from poorly CGI'd characters, bunnyfu's teeth and Darth Vader's 10 seconds at the end. that's it

You see a lot of this Play-as-Law concept in Alice In Wonderland.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_Ludens

of course I could be wrong, they could just shit out rehashes for all the numbered sequels. This is why I didn't say anything about this until I saw peoples' receptions to rogue one. I wasn't sure if they were making a smart play to get the most out of the franchise, or just shitting out rehashes for quick money.

Murdered is a strong word. Biggs and Obi-wan were prepared for their fates. You'd have a stronger case if you mentioned Beru and Owen as the ones being murdered.

No meme is necessary. The film is outright shit. Rehash bordering on fan fiction level.

At least prequels tried to be original and had heart.

this is the kind of fanboi opinion you can thank for TFA being so close to episode 4

It being a rehash and a poor expansion of the universe aren't my biggest issues with the film. Though, I think Disney could have imitated more tastefully. Sure. Rey can be an orphan on a backwater planet. Just switch out the visuals. Why was the flooded and repurposed graveyard of a battefield concept scrapped? It looked awesome and could have opened the door to new ideas.

You could tell the same story without making it so obvious. Besides, characters like Han and Luke are there to help pass the torch. Why is that not sufficient. The promise of seeing old friends seems like it should have been enough to generate hype. It felt like Disney was so paranoid that people weren't going to accept their product that they had to remind the audience every waking second of the film that it was just like the OT.

you make sensible rational arguments, but the people commenting on youtube and making reviews on the internet are usually not that sensible or rational. and fanbois even less so

>It felt like Disney was so paranoid that people weren't going to accept their product that they had to remind the audience every waking second of the film that it was just like the OT.
exactly. it's insulting to the intelligence of the fanbase, but, hey, what are ya gonna do. look on the bright side, at least now they can get on with it and make actual good star wars movies.

If anyone is having trouble understanding what I'm saying, it might help if you think of it from the point of view of a creative. you're a writer, and your job is to come up with a new screenplay/story/whatever in the same tradition as some other bit of work that already exists. you work hard on it, and because you're good at what you do, you eventually come up with something that is of a high standard, something that you feel lives up to the tradition of the old product. you show it to other creatives and they all agree it's good. it's a good feeling.

now you have to take this bit of writing and have it judged by an audience that you feel will probably be fairly hostile to it. for example this could be the fanbase of a movie series that has recently been bought out by a large media company. a lot of people will be looking to drag it through the dirt and call it a piece of shit. if that happens it won't be good for you or your career, but you don't have any other option right?

wait. what if you made another submission, something completely unoriginal and shitty, a real piece of shit ripoff that unashamedly copies the old product. if you submit that, one of two things can happen. the audience can accept it, in which case you're ok. or people can rightly say, "this is fucking terrible, you didn't do any real work on this, you just polished up the old piece and served it up to us here, take this away and give us something else". In which case you can give them the real product, which suddenly looks a whole lot better.

unless you've been in that position it's hard to oversell just how awesome it is to exercise this option. now think of disney as the writer and the star wars fanbase as the audience. there is no smarter way they could have played it.

sorry for shitty grammar and wall of text lol.

Because it wasn't very good. The trilogy will pick up when they finally reveal that Rey isn't Luke's daughter and Reylo starts happening.