What do non-Americans know about Mormonism? I'm curious because I live about a mile away from a Mormon church

What do non-Americans know about Mormonism? I'm curious because I live about a mile away from a Mormon church.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EkN6N5dl2FI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Biggest concentration of Mormons by percentage of a country is actually in Polynesia. At this point, mormons have spread all over the 3rd world.

>implying we don't have mormons
youtu.be/EkN6N5dl2FI

We think these people are doing religion like 500 years ago in Europe.
We think they are culturally very retarded, even if most of them are rich.

There are a few mormans near where I live. They're friendly in a creepy and off-putting way, and their religion is an absolute meme, but they're generally good people I guess. Better than Jehovah's Witnesses as far as quasi-Christian sects go.

I know a gay mormon

>What do non-Americans know about Mormonism?
This?

>even Mormons are gay in UK.

I live near a morman church, saw two of them playing pingpong in the park the other day

UMA

I heard they have some super secret language acquisition skills they're not letting anyone outside their treehouse club know.

>catholic cathedral in salt lake city has this carved into the wall

2cheeky

>english
>not latin or ancient greek

Red necks. Even our brown masons are more dedicated.

they actually seem to be more prevalent overseas than here in the Northeastern US, I think it's because they hate black people

They are all gay, that's why they act so weird

>they hate
So, the entire world is Mormon? Even other blacks?

Used to live down the street from a mormon church, never met any (afaik), Jehova's witnesses are much more common, they always stand around town or the train station with flyers, waiting for old or lonely people to come and talk to them (I guess) since I've never really seen them aproaching people or so.

Yes America loves to export SHIT
We have all flavors of American SHIT
LGBT
TRANNIES
MORMONS
PENTECOSTALS
BAPTISTS
JW
IM GOING TO FUCKING MURDER ALL AMERICANS I SEE

Also they sometimes wander into Paris trying to "educate" random french people to their faith. Most people will have a quick laugh and move on, the most cruel will play along for added fun.
A bit sad desu. It sometimes look like tribal men coming out of the jungle to convince the civilized man that using a stick is better for hunting than an gun

They are not shit. Pretty peaceful people.
The only ones who hate them are the faggots.

They are kind of elitist in that to join them you have to show them that you excel at something, anything; but that you are peerless at it.

Read a few of the first chapters of the mormon bible and from what I can say.God want all jews dead from jerusalem dead.

Shut the fuck up macaco.

HUEHUEHUE

I think everyone else just knows about Mormons from that South Park episode...

dum dum dum dum dum

I don't.
I waste most of my depressing days reading and defacing wikipedia.

Maybe you're too young, damn, that episode is 14 years old now.

Multiple wives?

We have a few thousand of those. We also get some American ones who come to do their "year abroad to spread the word"-thing here. Talked to two of these American ones about a year back. Surprisingly they spoke quite good Finnish, but with a funny American accent. I have never before heard Finnish spoken with a accent like that, to that was funny for me. I even took their bible for lols, and I guess they got a little too exited about that. When I told them I don't really like to discuss faith with them but maybe take a look at the book in private, they seemed to respect that and wished me a nice day.

The book was totally ebin though. It was like The Bible - Dankest Memes Edition.

I know it's a cult and a scam. I've heard troubling stories from ex-mormons. That's all from america though. Mormons in Europe are very innocuous and irrelevant.

they are fucking idiots. thats about all.

I am 26.

The thing about the book of mormon is that it's basically an exercise in american nationalism. They coopted their ancient religious stories and relocated them to america to make it fit their inflated sense of egoism.

I mean it's fun to read, as long as you don't start thinking of it in terms of the broader history of christianity. Thousands of years of christological debate and theories, and then suddenly some rando cult leader says "naw, here's what happened. Pulled it right out of the mouth of an angel."

>burgers
>sectants
>parasites on the ideas of Christianity
>look like fags
>attentionwhoring like fags

Catholicism and protestantism were a mistake.

My grandmother is Mormon, she turned more religious and dogmatic but, overall, they seem to take care of each other pretty well.

Once when to one of their churches, or whatever, and I really felt a nice energy. Religion itself is shit, however they're good as a club/congregation.

The American elder was really excited when I blinked him in kinda naughty way, just for playing.

*went

Fuck this keyboard.

My grandfather converted for her and both are happy there.

I know how you feel.

>inbreds
>low IQ
>Believe in a book which we don't know who wrote those dangerous bullshits

Danish mormon here. We aren’t that many in Denmark (1000 members?) and are a bit more laid back than US Mormons which is pretty nice. We are also good at “blending in” with the public unlike jehovas witnesses.
I enjoy being a Mormon.
Yes we have our faults but it doesn’t really concern me much on a day to day basis.
And yes I wear the magic underwear. Which isn’t magic at all :(

A member of the Jesus Christ latter day saints tried to convert me on a train between Belfast and Dublin.I am Catholic so I listened to him but didn't agree with him. They believe a modern day Jesus is currently walking the Earth as we speak but it is just a matter of finding him. Apparently only a small minority of them practice polygamy

Good summary of American people mon ami

They have a huge cathedral just down the road from my place. They show up to my house every now and then with giant fake smiles. Kind of a creepy group of people.

>They believe a modern day Jesus is currently walking the Earth as we speak but it is just a matter of finding him.
Lol what? Sure it was Mormons? We believe that he is NOT here yet, but are waiting for his second arrival that can come whenever.
Also “Mormons” who practice polygamy are a branch that separates themselves from The Latter Day Saints (actual Mormons like me) because they couldn’t practice polygamy so they went off and did their own thing. It’s strictly forbidden.

That they're weirdos just like their leader and racist. The religion itself is just

Magic underwear and a burning hate for drugs and premarital sex, yet polygamous marriages. Weird bunch.

I always thought that if Joseph Smith hadn't started a religion he probably would be remembered as a Mark Twain.

Hell, maybe JRR Tolkien would be seen as a "British Joseph Smith."

I'm underage banned (by a lot) and even I know that episode lmao

>Apparently only a small minority of them practice polygamy

I live in Idaho. Mormons dropped polygamy when they Mexico lost the Mexican-American War and the borders switched. They wanted to become a US State and have their own say, so they changed the name of Deseret to Utah, New Jerusalem to Salt Lake City, and their prophet had a "Revelation from God" that they should stop practicing polygamy when the US government told them not to do so.

While it's not happening in the mainstream mormon church there's still a bunch of branches that do practice it. I'm 90% certain that one of my neighbors are polygamists and own two houses right next to each other.

Successful enough that they built a temple on a prime spot on the cliffs that has a gold statue that you can see from the river. The town where I grew up had a mormon genealogy centre.

Post weird Mormon cathedrals.

me and my mates were standing and smoking and drinking some beers in a park and then those weirdos walked past and said "good day"

yet another proof that Luther was a mistake

isn't that Disney World?

lots of missionaries in my town
they have a church that has a football pitch in its backyard and we used to go there to play mormons vs the rest

Nope. It's the Mormon temple in San Diego, or as I like to call it "Mormon Gondor"

Mormons are really just in Western USA(primarily Utah and Southern Idaho) and Polynesia.

I find them hilarious trying to convert Catholics here and the people just see them as creeps.

Mormon missionaries from America stand in the streets and approach people and try to convert you and give out free bibles. They're very nice people but they talk for ages and pester for your phone number.
i saw a caddillac SUV with Christian stickers all over the back. i assume it belongs to one of the Mormons.

Former Mormon from Utah here. I went on a mission to the Philippines years ago, Tagalog speaking, but now I'm totally inactive in the church, haven't been in about 4 years.

Had sex with my girlfriend again last night, and like to get high for fun every once in a while.

Ask me anything.

And all over Brazil, Mexico, Philippines, and Africa.

Are missionaries in Europe able to explain their senseless stuff to anyone without this person starting to uncontrollably laugh?

Basically no.
Missionaries in Europe are miserably unsuccessful, because religion is not for the first world. Developed countries don't want to hear how God will make their lives better if they give up drinking and sex.

But in shitholes like Brazil and Philippines and Mexico, missionaries are wildly successful.

I feel bad for missionaries called to Europe, because they simply don't care about their message.

No, they are garbage.

The people who hate them don't live around them and their knowledge of mormons is the south park episode.

Their early history is fascinating, don't care for their theology
I've had JWs knock on my door but don't remember any LDS. A few well-known NZers are Mormons but they keep it fairly quiet.

Tell that to the people living around Bountiful in BC.

The early history is pretty interesting because of how much the LDS church tries to hide or pretend didn't happen.

There was a lot of shady stuff going on that they wish they could forget. As a young Mormon growing up you're taught that Smith was arrested because everyone hated the mormons and that he was an innocent martyr. They don't tell you it's because he was inciting riots and burning a printing press he didn't like and more. The reason the early mormons traveled around so much was because Smith had to flee the jurisdiction of the areas he was in because he was always getting into trouble.

But all the church will say is "people didn't like him because he was a prophet, so they tried to kill him". No, they were sick of his shit and tried to get him arrested and put on trial and he kept fleeing.

can someone give me a short explanation on how is Mormonism different from other sects of Christianity?
never met one in my life and I've heard of them from american media but I don't actually know what they do

>I think it's because they hate black people
Mormons are proselytizing in every country in Africa that will take them, what the fuck are you talking about

Basically Catholics believe that the priesthood has passed on from Jesus to his apostles and they've passed it on ever since and it never left. They believe their church is the direct successor to the one Jesus founded when he lived.

Mormons believe that the priesthood was lost after Jesus was resurrected and returned to heaven, when his apostles were persecuted and killed. They don't believe that Peter or whoever passed it on and when the last one died it died with them.
Mormons believe that Joseph Smith was called of God to restore that church and that God gave him the priesthood and that the Mormon church is gods church restored.

It comes down to Catholics think the church and priesthood never left, Mormons believe that it was restored through Joseph Smith.

We literally had American Mormons here knocking doors. I saw them all the time on the tram on my way to work.

I see, thanks

Mormons also believe that since the priesthood was lost the church had no one guiding it and that's how all these thousands of sects popped up, because everyone was just making shit up and making their own interpretations of the bible. That's why there are so many different Christian churches that believe different stuff.

Mormons believe that god has called a prophet and Joseph Smith and all his successors are receiving revelation from him and guiding his church, thus it being "the one true church".

Fuck all, only seen them once.

>sitting in a coffee shop after friend goes back to work
>two mormons mention thanking god for such a nice day.
>get into a conversation about places in dublin, pretty chill guys, wish them a good day
>literal land whale 350+ guy erupts into euphoria as they walk past
>starts going on about free will and the problem of evil
>lads just say they live a good life and be helpful to each other because its gods will
>Fatass says hes enlightened by his own will, and is free unlike them.
>guys just wish him a good day and say god bless
>his face turn scarlet as they leave

pretty cool tbqhwy

there was a crazy girl in high school who was mormon, also two twins called gabriel and gabriela kek

There was a big mormon church/mini community near where I used to live in the UK. Funny story, I met a yank claiming to be Mit Romney's cousin/nephew (the exact relation slips my mind) who was living in the community for a year or so doing some missionary work. He was wearing the typical suite and tie nonsense they wear and was going along the street with a carbon copy of himself wearing the same shit.

Spent about 20 mins chatting to him and the other one, nice guy but I was on lunch break and he wouldn't fuck off despite me politely asking them to fuck off. Hate talking during work breaks.

suit*

btw we spoke mainly about the election campaign, barely mentioned religion at all other than to say who they were. The odd thing was that they seemed more interested to get a brits perspective on the yank election than on their religion and the possibility of conversion. Go figure.

I've been to that Cathedral. Christians of all denominations that weren't Mormons, and even Jews all donated to building the Catholic Cathedral there so that they could have a beautifu, imposing building in that city that wasn't a Mormon.

They have a quite a lot of worshippers here. pic related is the mormon church in my city andI see them on the street and public transportaition quite often. Lots of them are american mormons accompanied by a local

I know they exist

Tbh the only religious people I ever meet under the age of 60 are Catholic. Never come across any Anglicans, let alone Protestants

They're a lunatic anti-Christian cult and they wear magic undies.

Anglicans are Catholic.

Oh and the occasional Jehova Witness knocks on my door once in a while.
I actually don't know anything about any other Christian faiths. I was raised Catholic in a strong Catholic family so I've never felt the need to go looking

"No"

Romism is just as un-Australian and anti-Christian as Protestantism is.

Catholic majority country now m8

Their church is 1 block from my house, all I know is that 1 day of the week they let us use the basketball/football court.

>majority
Who cares?

Anglicans are the true Catholics. Romists aren't even real Christians.

lmao

Nothing here.

>Mormon Church
It's called a temple, dumbfuck

Same thing happened to me on Uni bus several times. Usually a JW opposed to Mormon though.
I was raised catholic, but I am not practicing. I hear them out to be respectful, but if this same fucker that's preached to me like 4 times tries to pull this shit again I'll pop off.