Lads, what happened to real rivalries in football? The passion has been gone for a long time already...

Lads, what happened to real rivalries in football? The passion has been gone for a long time already, but why is transferring players between two rival clubs just calmly accepted now?
Why does no one care anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ebSRjIBxFNE
youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>players don't want to have to resettle in another country
>generally only big teams can afford them
>big teams in the same country are basically always rivals

(You)

Arsenal's rival is spurs though

>but why is transferring players between two rival clubs just calmly accepted now?

Transfers between City, Man Utd and Chelsea rarely happen. Your mistake is in thinking Arsenal are still a big club. They're a distant 6th.

Money has detached the sport from the 90%, they don't really associate themselves with sportstars like they used to when it was still somewhat relatable.

No one said anything about them being a big club. Arsenal are shit now and run terribly, so obviously the club itself doesn't care. But I'm surprised that you don't even see the old fans complaining about this stuff.

United-Arsenal was only really a rivalry from Ferguson's era.

>It is, however, generally perceived to have begun in October 1990, when a brawl between both sides at Old Trafford resulted in both clubs being docked points in the 1990–91 First Division. The scuffle started when Arsenal's Anders Limpar, who scored the only goal of the game, contested for the ball with Manchester United defender Denis Irwin. Limpar's teammate Nigel Winterburn tackled Irwin, which prompted Brian McClair and Irwin to retaliate. Winterburn was pushed onto the advertising hoardings and all the players bar goalkeeper David Seaman partook in a 20-second mêlée. As well as a points deduction, both clubs fined several of their players, and in Arsenal's case, their manager too.
youtube.com/watch?v=ebSRjIBxFNE

precedent for arsenal selling to rivals has been made.

Wenger handed fergie the title by selling RVP

Players nowadays are too cowardly to stand up for their teammates like this

it's like the soy meme isn't even a meme

Players only care about money not their club. Guaranteed to retire a millionaire so no incentive to actually try hard. They just do the bare minimum.
No local lads in the team. Why would some Johnny Foreigner who barely speaks English care about a derby.

i considered arsenal rivals as a kid
i haven't given a shit about them in years
t. actual game going united fan

fair. but don't you miss the daus when we were the two best teams in england battling for the title?

Too many bandwagoners. Once it changed from a form of entertainment into a business it completely died. When you put profit before what you're investing money in then the product becomes inferior to placate the casual market who throw the most bucks into it, see video games, movies, music, even countries if you want to go beyond entertainment. Basically if the fans don't care then why would the players who don't care anyway as long as they're getting £100kpw? That's not to say real fans don't exist, it's just that they're outnumbered by casual fans who spend more money than true fans in the sad attempt at proving they ARE real fans by showing you just how much money they spend and aren't just in it because it's popular. Which of course they are only in it because it's popular and this can easily show why real rivalries no longer exist. They don't care about the team, the club, its history, they care about following what everyone else is doing. I can't blame them entirely, a large part of it is because of the autonomic positive feedback loop. You can't blame goys for being goys, but they are a large contributor to the absolute state of football.

watch /copalib/

The Arsenal fans are broken. They're numb to everything that happens until Wenger leaves.

i think the only people to blame for that no longer being the case are arsenal though

You now remember Danny Welbeck

>Arsenal
>a rival of Man Utd

This
Ars/ManU was fueled by being the two best clubs in England, but that era is a long, long time ago now.
United cares more about City, then Liverpool. Arsenal might register third?
Similarly, I imagine Arsenal cares more about Tottenham and Chelsea.

That rivalry was killed by the 8-2.

There are too many football matches which makes matches in general mean less.

United and City had a locker room fight barely a month ago you know

Yeah I mean its ridiculous to see chech in both chesea and arsenal
At least when it happens in spain people are angry

The problem is sponsors, they don't allow ultra fans

Players moving between rivals is still a bit frowned upon by the supporters here, specially when it's a state with only two big clubs (inter/grêmio, cruzeiro/atlético mineiro). I feel like it happens more with teams from Rio de janeiro and São Paulo but still gets bad reactions if a player has a long history with a club or is from their youth academy.

youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c

Exactly. And Cech even captains Arsenal sometimes.

the players were always mercenaries but the teams use to have real fans, now teams are global and the sponsors don't want real rivalry cause they want every team to be friendly and appeal to the biggest demographic, even the rival team fans

>Man U have lost their identity as a club because they sold some shit guy made of glass to Arsenal!!!!!!!!!

>At least when it happens in spain people are angry
Hehe

Fucked up the quote

I already got you senpai