Archaeology

Hello Sup Forums. Would you consider a degree in Archaeology a wasteful major to pursue similar degrees? Would it be wasteful if I specialize in the old world which I planned on doing anyway.

no, do whatever you want, so long as you do it well.

don't come to pol asking for advice about your life.

archaeology sounds dope AF

GO BE INDIANA JONES, SON

Your work will push bible thumpers one step closer to mass suicide when you find the missing link.

No its not a waste of time.

I simply came here to see what others people's thoughts would be, not for life advice.

i've just graduated in archaeology. It was good fun to do and it actually has decent job prospects across the board because it has the same benefits as a strict humanities degree as well as forensics and other sciences.

A good Christian respects science as he respects his own faith.

What do you mean with wasteful? Wasting your time? Wasting your money?

You can make a living with archaeology. Don't be like all the other students and treat it like history and art, but learn how to dig shit up, how to handle the equipment.

>when you find the missing link
Already found mate
It's not 1950

Hey user, I too wanted to be an archaeologist growing up and study Central Asia.
I don't think a degree in Archaeology is worth too much unless you bust your ass to rise above your peers and obtain a PHD.

I went to school for a foreign relations type of degree and use archaeology as one of my hobbies... I found this a good compromise since I still get to travel and interact with other cultures, but can earn a living as well. You might want to look for one of these compromises and always maintain your love of archaeology as a hobby.

Probably yes, it's needed but there are too many people with such a degree already

Going to try to go for radio carbon dating but if that falls through then forensics.

Anthropology is fascinating and red-pilled; my professor was trying her hardest to dance around the fact that black peopke were lesser evolved but Darwinism made her say that they were lesser evolved.

I had a shit eating grin when she turned around to write on the board.

I mean the CHLCA

I believe that has not yet been found.

I may be incorrect.

Hmmm, I may end up doing that. Thanks for sharing user

By wasteful, I mean like shitty "liberal arts" degrees

Enjoy spending the rest of your life protesting all the historical buildings and objects that Muslims are going to be destroying in Europe in the near future. Also enjoy building deployed in the Middle East just to get crucified

fucking autocorrect "being" not "building"

I love Classics and would go to grad school after it, but will go law because it will pay the bills for my family. If I was single I would totally do it.

sadly we aren't anymore in the 19th century, where archaeology is a subject filled with thrill and adventure. Your average excavation will be a night pot from some pre-medieval peasant.

Personally i think, that archaeology and history don't get enough recognition in our society, even when they are one of the pillars, that helped to create, and shape our civilization.
Try it, at least it isn't a art or gender/african-studies degree

It's not about what is a waste of time but what you are passionate about. Just fucking work, work whatever you want to work, work whatever you have to work in order to work whatever you want to work.

This ain't a fucking MMORPG.

>Law
>Make money
Once, but not anymore. The market is saturated with law school grads.

Really? In America, there aren't many people with Archaeological degrees, that I know of.
There are still many things about ancient societies we know little about. There's still much left to learn about Rome even which I plan to specialize in.

Thanks for sharing user. Solidified some of my trepidations about going into Archaeology.

Thanks for the words user, but I made this thread to see what the people of Sup Forums thought about, not for my own personal help. Perhaps I should have pointed that out in the OP

Have one.

Complete waste. Let me tell you what your future is going to be:

>graduate
>intern for some bumb fuck for at least 2 years, probably longer
>dig up indian shit for the millionth time because all the cool shit around the world is already claimed by their ruling governments and won't let anyone do shit on
>make no money ever
>if lucky, you'll get to work at a college teaching this useless fucking degree

I'm already going back to school for Electrical Engineering.

Seriously, you literally have more job opportunities in Anthropology than you do in Archaeology anymore. It's legit a dead field.

So, would it be beneficial to major in an Anthropology degree and minor in Archaeology?

If you absolutely want to go that route, sure.

At least then you can always work as a company contract Anthro, go into forensics, or work for a Zoo.

Alrights, thank for thr information user. It really helps.

A friend of mine has an archaeology degree. The pay is shit. She's now going back to college for a law degree.

Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy it do it. Just don't imagine you'll be making any decent amount of money.

Well I study history and Sup Forums shits on me every time I mention this.

Registered Professional Archaeologist out of California here. I got am Anth degree with an emphasis in Archeo, been working in the field professionally for 8 years. There are way more job prospects than most people think in CRM (Cultural Resource Management). Most of your paying work will be on construction sites, which is where people are digging and finding cool stuff.

If I could go back I'd figure out which populous area I want to live after college, try to study the archeology of that location as much as possible to get a strong geographic focus. I'd consider minoring in GIS (Geographic Information Systems) to diversify my skill set and put me ahead of the competition. Work as an intern for the NPS or something similar for a year and get that resume out to every CRM firm in your city, tell them you want to work a salaried job. Don't fall into the shovel-bumming trap.

Kick ass and they'll keep you around. I'm making $60,000/year for a great company. The prestige of the job definitely helps you get laid too.

Go for it, and good luck.

Archaeology is theoretically a non-degenerate degree, because learning the ways and wisdom of previous generations is a good thing.

However, it seems like the sort of thing that gets cut when there's a budget squeeze on, and graduating into a life of being an unemployed shlub is degenerate.

In the US there are a million local, State, and Federal laws mandating archaeology on most construction projects involving any kind of ground-disturbance so there's plenty of work.