/memex/ - Meme stock exchange

I'm developing a fantasy Sup Forums stock exchange codenamed Meme Exchange (memex) for now.

The idea is that you create an account and you get given 1000 fake dollars. You can use this to invest in boards and potentially memes.

I will have scripts running on the server analyzing each board every hour and automatically assigning value to the stocks based on a long list of factors including but not limited to: number of threads per hour, posts per hour, number of posters per thread, average thread lifetime, and so on and so on. It will obviously also be effected by how much people invest in the stock too. I want to factor in enough things that can effect price that it won't be too easy to game it but you can still have fun with manipulating the market. The idea is that you have to speculate on boards popularity (and other factors), you can make money from certain boards influx of summerfags etc.

I'm just putting it out to you guys at the moment to get your feedback, any ideas you have, what features you think would be cool etc. Especially what factors you think should effect stock prices and by what amount.

I'm planning to have leaderboards so you can try and compete on who is making the most money. They'll be graphs showing you historical prices and all that normal stuff.

I was thinking of adding memes that are text based as investment options, like Trump, kek, :^), etc. Things that I can actually track use of.

Other urls found in this thread:

nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/02/16/memex-darpas-search-engine-for-the-dark-web/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is not my project, it's by some eurofag

:3

The system would be gamed, leading to the overall overuse of one meme for artificial inflation and a decrease quality of memes.

How would you overcome this problem?

It's all in the thread, and it's not my project.

$1,000 on shill memes
I win times infinity

>QUANTITATIVE MEMEING

can you link the website ?

It's not up yet, but the preliminary code is in this thread

>tfw you are going to watch the news 24/7 so you can invest into Sup Forums just before a happening

I am all for this. Bring the meme economy to life.

Number one priority should be image based investment options. This is an imageboard after all. Leaving the pepe market untapped would be a big mistake.

Nigger ill put real money on memes

Fuck your fake money

DEVELOP IT

>this isn't how the stock market actually works

I invented "poo in loo." So I own it.

Nice man. Im all for it.

My only question is why not add a PayPal feature and let us invest real money? Like one of those online poker/gambling websites...

MY TIME TO SHINE LADS!

I'm OP from original thread.

Memes are valued using an algarithm that takes into account many factors. see Essentially:
Memes are analysed once an hour to determine value
Spamming slow boards doesn't increase value of meme
There are multiple factors that can increase and decrease the value of a meme
The amount of shares purchased (and subsequently sold) effects the price of a meme

This is actually a serious consideration, no joke.

Images are incredibly hard to track if they are not 100% the same.

Is poo in loo still a good investment though? posting seems to be slowing down

To everyone. Handling real money adds a web of legalities that I don't want to deal with is the gist of why there is no real money involved. See the recent CS:GO better scandals for a taste.

Are you a jew?

Serious question

Nope. I did say there was no real money involved :^)

>YFW stefan molyneux makes videos about fiat memes and not using meme backed currency

so what's a viable long term strategy?

I think the kek cult has good intrinsic value but low spreadability among normies so it has yet to leave Sup Forums (maybe hedge a bit with succ shares).

old memes are usually destined to die once they hit mainstream, but pepe has surprisingly managed to reinvent himself time and time again, how would you handle that? you'd need main pepe shares (like a conglomerate) that are affected by individual pepeverse shares (feelsgoodman, pee pee poo poo, well meme'd, kek)

I think that's my portfolio right there, pepe my safe haven, kek my long term bet some hedge on succ and speculate on whatever pops up like dat bois

Do you think "child-memes" should be a type of meme stock? in the sense than an increase in value for the meme "pee pee poo poo" should also increase the value of it's parent meme Pepe? I hadn't considered having one meme effecting the value of another meme yet. Although I have planned meme aliases (variations all pointing to one meme stock).

>memes that are text based as investment options, like Trump
kys shill

>meme counterfeiting will be real

Pepe is the perfect example of an image based meme that can't be tracked. There's so many variations that the accuracy rate would make the value analysis worthless.

Pooex

This level of autism.

that's what I was hinting at, but I don't know if it would really work, you either have one pepe stock that's influenced by all pepe memes or have many pepe stocks and implement some kind of pepe index aggregating info from all pepe stocks

I'd like to buy pepe shares but when you think about it they are pretty much all image based which is hard to track

Pepe is a tricky one and potentially it's best just to not list it on the exchange if the text versions of the meme aren't enough on their own. Don't want people to think that it's tracking something that it isn't.

Stuff like "redpill me on x" etc is much easier to track.

Maybe consider narrowing it down to the most popular reposts for each board. Pic is an example of Sup Forums as measured by 4plebs.

You could show the top reposts of the week and the users speculate how they will hold up next week.

Altough I guess this is more akin to betting and might go against what you had in mind.

thats some concentrated autism

KEK HAS SPOKEN

nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/02/16/memex-darpas-search-engine-for-the-dark-web/

>1814 reposts of Vivian James Brushing Teeth gif.

God fucking dammit Estonia.

top kek, good find

WTF

Anyone who used the World Wide Web in the nineties will know that web search has come a long way. Sure, it was easy to get more search results than you knew what to do with in 1999 but it was really hard to get good ones.

What Google did better than Alta Vista, HotBot, Yahoo and the others at the dawn of the millennium was to figure out which search results were the most relevant and respected.

And so it’s been ever since – search engines have become fast, simple interfaces that compete based on relevance and earn money from advertising.

Meanwhile, the methods for finding things to put in the search results have remained largely the same – you either tell the search engines your site exists or they find it by following a link on somebody else’s website.

That business model has worked extremely well but there’s one thing that it does not excel at – depth.

If you don’t declare your site’s existence and nobody links to it, it doesn’t exist – in search engine land at least.

Google’s stated aim may be to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful but it hasn’t succeeded yet. That’s not just because it’s difficult, it’s also because Google is a business and there isn’t a strong commercial imperative for it to index everything.

Estimates of how much of the web has been indexed vary wildly (I’ve seen figures of 0.04% and 76% so we can perhaps narrow it down to somewhere between almost none and almost all) but one thing is sure, there’s enough stuff that hasn’t been indexed that it’s got it’s own name – the Deep Web.

It’s not out of the question to suggest that the part of the web that hasn’t been indexed is actually bigger than the part that has.

A subset of it – the part hosted on Tor Hidden Services and referred to as the Dark Web – is very interesting to those in law enforcement.

There are all manner of people, sites and services that operate over the web that would rather not appear in your Google search results.

If you’re a terrorist, paedophile, gun-runner, drug dealer, sex trafficker or serious criminal of that ilk then the shadows of the Deep Web, and particularly the Dark Web, offer a safer haven then the part occupied by, say, Naked Security or Wikipedia.

Enter Memex, brainchild of the boffins at DARPA, the US government agency that built the internet (then ARPANET).

DARPA describes Memex as a set of search tools that are better suited to government (presumably law enforcement and intelligence) use than commercial search engines.

Whereas Google and Bing are designed to be good-enough systems that work for everyone, Memex will end up powering domain-specific searches that are the very best solution for specific narrow interests (such as certain types of crime.)

Today's web searches use a centralized, one-size-fits-all approach that searches the internet with the same set of tools for all queries. While that model has been wildly successful commercially, it does not work well for many government use cases.

The goal is for users to ... quickly and thoroughly organize subsets of information based on individual interests ... and to improve the ability of military, government and commercial enterprises to find and organize mission-critical publically [sic] available information on the internet.

Although Memex will eventually have a very broad range of applications, the project’s initial focus is on tackling human trafficking and slavery.

According to DARPA, human trafficking has a significant Dark Web presence in the form of forums, advertisements, job postings and hidden services (anonymous sites available via Tor).

Memex has been available to a few law enforcement agencies for about a year and has already been used with some success.

In September 2014, sex trafficker Benjamin Gaston was sentenced to a minimum of 50 years in prison having been found guilty of “Sex Trafficking, as well as Kidnapping, Criminal Sexual Act, Rape, Assault, and Sex Abuse – all in the First Degree”.

Scientific American reports that Memex was in the thick of it:

A key weapon in the prosecutor's arsenal, according to the NYDA's Office: an experimental set of internet search tools the US Department of Defense is developing to help catch and lock up human traffickers.

The journal also reports that Memex is used by the New York County District Attorney’s Office in every case pursued by its Human Trafficking Response Unit, and it has played a role in generating at least 20 active sex trafficking investigations.

If Memex carries on like this then we’ll have to think of a new name for the Dark Web.

/ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄\
( ^ _ ^ ) < I understand your frustration.
/ | \______________/
/ .|
/ "⌒ヽ |.イ |
__ | .ノ | || |__
く__つ∪∪ \
____________\
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ | | ̄

I've been cultivating the exact same idea for a few years now. I always knew it was a good and obvious idea, I just wondered how long it'd take for someone to make it.

The reason I didn't go for it is because Sup Forums will be your only audience unless you advertise, and Sup Forums is quite a fickle audience.

Reported and saged

>Images are incredibly hard to track if they are not 100% the same.
This is absolutely NOT tru!

There is image analys you can do to measure how similar two images are but imagine the amount of different looking Pepe images alone there are. It's not viable