Letterboxd general

Discuss what you have recently watched and other film things

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/
youtube.com/watch?v=ePMhJio8zT4
amazon.com/Roue-Severin-Mars/dp/B00174YBQ2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fuck i love emily jean

I wish more posts were available in their raw state, as primary source material for anyone to consider, and to leave for others in just that way, the evidence uncontaminated by compulsive proprietary misapplied replying, “quoting”, the purposeful “pointing things out” that cuts a road straight and narrow through the post-jungle; we barrel through thinking we’re going somewhere and miss it all. Better to just be pointed to the territory, to put in time exploring, roughing it, on our own. For the straight scoop we need the whole scoop, or no less than the clues entire and without rearrangement. O, for a General of Archive Posts, or board, thread, a shit-general of telling discards accessible to all talented posters/repliers. A wilderness haven salvaged from shitposting.

hey whats going on guys and girls

What should I watch with my boyfriend tonight?

who the fuck names themself slept

i dunno, synt.

*posts the gross autistic looking guy*

*posts "go aawayy u have the worst account"*

>Why do you always stop replying to my posts?
I responded to you right here QOTD: Is film art, and if so, what was the first art film?

Men that never fits old.

D. W. Griffith?

Passage de Venus

Yeah my page didn't update until after I posted that. I responded here

Citizen Kane.

Your Ass, My Dick

Yes, and it's The Kiss - 1896

>It was a week or so ago and I can't find the exact thread in the archive, sorry.
Then it never happened. Next time, post proof before you accuse.

Now, explain in thorough detail with sources why you believe the documentary is not the purest form of cinema.

>How do you feel about cinema's purpose when it comes to religious or spiritual art?
You should stop caring about fairy tales.

PREVIOUS THREAD:

>You should stop caring about fairy tales.

Kill yourself

There's already so many posts. Let's draw some of it out for a deeper look, toy with it, take it into a new light with inventive and expressive posting. Freud would suggest doing so as a way to look into our minds.

I'm not the one who made the claim that documentaries are the greatest for of cinema. I don't rank genres of films according to purity.

>You should stop caring about fairy tales
I figured you weren't religious, but are you claiming all religious art is worthless? Are the entire fields of metaphysics, theology and philosophy meaningless to you?

Not a film

Why?

Why?

QOTD: What makes film art? What is cinema?

This user rejects the notion of film as art

WHY ARE YOU SO RETARDED?

*posts a dog*

I told you already. The Kiss is one of the first uses of motion pictures to convey a powerful and relatable human emotion.

>Not a film
It is.

>but are you claiming all religious art is worthless?
No, I just don't concern myself with fairy tales. I'm concerned with real issues.

>relatable

h-heh... yeah..

It's a series of photographs. Not a film.

You don't understand real issues or fantasy. You're a dumb autistic person, so you're incapable.

It's a series of photos that are meant to be shown in sequence to simulate motion.

pastafrola

>The Kiss is one of the first uses of motion pictures to convey a powerful and relatable human emotion.
What makes cinema art, if it is art?

This user rejects the notion of film as "art."

If it's on the Criterion Collection it's art

dropout_gorro?

No, you're both wrong!

A film hasn't been made yet!

Are matters of faith not real issues? Many people have died and killed over structures of belief, religious or not.

You don't seem to believe cinema is an art. From what I've heard you say, you seem to treat it more like a science.

So the first art film was The Kid (1921)? But why? Why is that film art but none of D.W. Griffith's work? What makes film art?

go aawayy u have the worst films

>This user This user hurr durr
Why the fuck are you using another random idiot as somewhat relevant to anything?

You don't seem to be telling of what the definition of art in the context of cinema is.

Art is an expression of the Truth. Subjective or Objective. Cinema attempts to do this, therefore it is art. I don't care what that user has to say. Now please respond

Who posted that, wtf.

That's like a year old.
Please don't impersonate me.

Anything can be art if the creator defines so, or somebody else posteriorly defines so.

Love this poster and your zombi 2 one you posted the other thread

where are they from?

Matters are faith are real issues

Thailand
I'll post the rest I have

What IS cinema?

So please answer my question, What is cinema's purpose when it comes to religious or spiritual art. Religious myths can be True even though they aren't "real". What is your metaphysical or epistemological opinion on what is "real" or "fairy tales"?

Is morality not real? Because in order to find Moral or Ethical Truth, a "fairy tale" must be constructed, but that doesn't mean the story is "untrue". What about what happens after death? What should cinema do to explore that idea?

Last one

D.W. Griffith

>Because in order to find Moral or Ethical Truth, a "fairy tale" must be constructed
No.

>What is cinema's purpose when it comes to religious or spiritual art.
To question, expose, and reflect.

>What is your metaphysical or epistemological opinion on what is "real" or "fairy tales"?
Don't question my faith.

>Is morality not real?
It is real. You should practice it.

how much you pay for them?
and what size are they?

The most I paid was for the Zombi 2, but all the others were under $25.

And they are all different in sizes, not by much though. Still smaller than the typical US poster.

v nice
I hugely underestimated how big the Italian posters were when I first ordered, but I'm glad i did as probably wouldn't have ordered

what's your vhs watching set-up like? I have considered getting a tv/vhs combo before but decided too impractical and the good tapes seem too expensive for the novelty

How can one explore those ideas without transcending reality? Religious and spiritual ideas are by definition, above reality.

>Don't question my faith
Is that your view of reality or are you afraid to answer my question?

>It is real. You should practice it.
You seem to be selectively answering my questions. How should cinema explore those topics while strictly adhering to the rules of realism? These ideas are ones that exist beyond the objective realm and can only be expressed subjectively.

I'm going to go eat, but I'll bring this back up next time I post my profile. Nice talking to you.

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/

Yeah, the Italian posters are giant. Like way too big haha. Still want em tho.

My set up sucks right now from having just moved. Been watching on a shitty hd tv, need to make room, also most of my tapes are sadly in storage.

I always tell people to collect though, plenty of tapes go for way too much but if you aren't bad at waiting you could probably find a good deal on most. I just hit a ridiculous lot last year in person with a ton of rare tapes for free.

When you return, make note that I answered your ignorant questions.

>How can one explore those ideas without transcending reality? Religious and spiritual ideas are by definition, above reality.
If they were real, it wouldn't be transcending reality.

you guys like my wallpaper?

Griffith is goat, huh?

Make sure to watch Rex Ingram, Frank Borzage, Vidor, and La Roue

Is this art? If so, why?

What is your criteria for ranking?

There's a guy on eBay who lives in my fairly small hometown and has a clearly incredible selection of horror/pre-cert tapes

I'm quite tempted to send him a message and ask him if he will give me his address and let me come round and watch them with him and eat pizza and drink beer

I want to commend you for your exploration of silent cinema, developing cinephile!

But please pay respect to these legendary artists by purchasing some of their films on bluray, so we can receive more high definition restorations! Kino Lorber is coming out soon with a W.C. Fields film from 1926

WHY ARE YOU SO RETARDED?

Video games are more engaging than film.

Fact

i dont think so but i like it
i showed it to my friend and he said ' wow u'd think only roman art existed' which summed up AESTHETICS nowdays

I do my part! Others should as well! I buy most of my movies whether it be through dvd and bluray or renting services like vudu

They're interactive, so it is true. But whether and how stimulating in comparison to art is the question

I've wanted to see La Roue since I saw Napoleon.
Any idea where I can find it?

Story, characters (development and otherwise), visuals, and impact on cinema as a whole.

THREAD THEME: youtube.com/watch?v=ePMhJio8zT4

Do it! Wish some of my irl friends actually liked to watch movies.

amazon.com/Roue-Severin-Mars/dp/B00174YBQ2

Are you not on any tracker?

Cinema is meant to be enjoyed in groups. It's how it was intended to be viewed

I can invite you to SC

Pirating is for losers

Why are you watching Don't Watch Griffith!?

T H I S

Buy what you watch.
Support the industry

Get bent

The torrent on SC doesn't have any seeders. He should get a subscription to Fandor.

I only watch films made by people who are already dead. Why the nigger would I give my money to corrupt distributors and copyright apes?

>/lbg/ got so bad that there are unironically people against pirating here now
fuk

I don't find this to be the case.

Because otherwise the films won't be restored in high definition, many's legacies being forgotten

Because if you don't then the films you like won't continue to be released. Please show me all these "corrupt distributors" too.

Criterion is a common example. They use region codes to hold copyright and jack up the price at least 200%.

Then get a region-free bluray player.

If you cared so much about European cinema, you shouldn't have been born in a shitty country like America.

>Oy vey goy buy another Blu-Ray Player™ so you can import films at 50% tax! Don't you want to pay for my son's student loans?

I live in a free country so I can watch whatever I want to watch however and whenever I want. Time for your night prayer, Achmed.

So, the sick autist also plays a moral high ground against pirating? Lmao, what a character

He's not above watching movies on youtube though.
kek