Asian kino thread

We recommend eachother essential asian movies without spoiling them.

>Rules:

-No Anime
-Only Asian actors

>My list.

The Wailing - 7/10, weird/boring plot, but thought provoking ending.

I saw the devil - 8/10, straight forward gruesome action/mystery flick.

Old Boy - 8/10, a movie where new things happen from chapter to chapter, entertaining.

Train to Busan - 6/10, slow and bad zombie flick, but the train setting somehow makes it entertaining.

Handmaiden - 3/10, weeb trash, regret watching it.

Battle Royal - 9/10, gruesome action kino, could rewatch anytime.

The Host - 6/10, pretty weird monster setup, but works with the characters.

The Raid series - 10/10, straight through action kino.

A Bittersweet Life - 8/10, full packed action kino with emotional setting.

Ichi the Killer - 7/10, weird movie with lots of gore and action, the main villain makes the whole movie.

Thirst - 4/10, asian twilight.

Other urls found in this thread:

gmepodcast.com/)
youtube.com/watch?v=d-Km8WTRsnw
youtube.com/watch?v=meYRamNHVXA
gmepodcast.com/2014/07/06/the-girl-who-loved-tony-jaa/
youtube.com/watch?v=i-si3ziDH1c&t=84s
youtube.com/watch?v=6PYX5NwOvjw
youtube.com/watch?v=mHkchrIKKog
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_The_Magic_Begins
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_Ssawora_Son_Goku,_Igyeora_Son_Goku
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Asian
>Kino

Already a thread with all those in op mentioned.

Korean yeah...

This is about Asian movies.

>fokk you for not allowing my precious animu, on an animu friendly board

enjoyed:

The Quiet Family
Old Boy
Rashomon
Fish Story
Hard Boiled (absolute kino)

Yi Yi
Summer at Grandpa's
Goodbye Dragon Inn
In the Mood for Love
The Human Condition
Hana-bi
Bullet Ballet

You have the most pleb opinions I've ever seen.

>the handmaiden
>bad

autismspeaks.jpg

>>Sup Forums

>this cancer taste
OP must be fifteen

Tokyo Sonata
Departures

Once Upon a Time in Highschool

Casshern (There's a live action version.)
Chocolate
The Eye
The Eye 10 (or The Eye 3, I've never seen the 2nd film)
Kung Fu Hustle
Godzilla (Too many Godzilla films to recommend, so ask a Godzilla expert: gmepodcast.com/)
The Handmaiden (I haven't seen this movie, but I heard it's good.)
Ong Bak
Wicked City (I think there's a live action film, but I've never seen it.)
The Warlords
Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War
Ju-on
The Protector
Who Am I
Black Mask
Returner
Three Extremes (I don't remember if I saw this film or sat through all of it.)
Yo-Yo Girl Cop
Shaolin Soccer
A Tale of Two Sisters (I don't know if I've actually watched this film with the English subtitles, but back when the cable subscriber provided a Filipino Cinema channel, they would show this film, probably dubbed in Tagalog, which I can't understand because I'm whitewashed. It looks scary. There's an American version.)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Supercop
New Police Story
Once Upon a Time in China (I can't remember when I watched this, I don't remember much.)
Tai Chi Master

I watched:

Kill!
Tale of Zatoichi 1 & 2
Samurai I
and Sword of the Beast

over the past few days, weren't all that great really. Although they had their moments.

I watched Like Somebody in Love recently and really enjoyed it.

I think the director is Iranian but the film is Japanese

youtube.com/watch?v=d-Km8WTRsnw

Did anyone watch this? Is it good?

this is some of the most embarrassing taste ive ever seen

Just watched "onibaba" a few days ago. Horro/thriller/drama from 1962. Great film, beautiful black and white photography, amazing acting from a small cast, great story and ending, great atmosphere.

Infernal affairs. The departed is a shit remake

Handmaiden is not Japanese or anime. And even if it were Japanese, Japanese things can't be wannabe Japanese.

Rashomon - 7/10, great visuals, with the lighting being particularly standout. The roles of the wife and the bandit seemed overacted at times, but it didn't take too much away from the movie.

There's also this one Tagalog horror film called Feng Shui. I don't know if I should recommend it, because it is a Filipino movie and also because Feng Shui, the moving of furniture that allows for better chi, is originally Chinese and you could say that it's cultural appropriation by the Filipino's of some Chinese culture.

I don't think very many people on this board give a shit about cultural appropriation, as long as you think the movie's good just keep it on your list

There happen's to be shitloads of Chinks in Failippines.

They're part of the elite there even.

I'm just warning people about the Filipino film and cultural appropriation. Besides, there's some very large and distinct differences between the Chinese and Filipinos, versus differences between the Chinese and Japanese.

Feng shui is done all over the world, and many Asian nations were or are in the Chinese cultural sphere.

>I'm just warning people about the Filipino film and cultural appropriation.
Mate, nobody gives a fuck.

Filipinos is asians, amigo.

All the Ringu movies
Ip Man trilogy

Ping Pong - high school kids play ping pong

literally the plebiest list i've ever seen
korean cinema is pleb tier shit

go back to watching anime.

t. Park Kim Chee

Fuck you, asshole.

Yeah, okay, many people practice Feng Shui, but I'm just saying it seems like cultural appropriation. Also, the Phillipines weren't part of the Chinese cultural sphere. I mean, I think I've read that some Chinese would trade with northern Filipinos, like in the medieval age. But they weren't part of China's cultural sphere like other South East Asian nations were, like Vietnam was.

Hey, just letting people know in case they criticize me for recommending it.

Yeah, thanks for reminding me. But Filipinos are South East Asians.

Cultural appropriation is an SJW meme.

Monga (2010)

Taiwanese movie.

>Only Asian actors
What about Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence?

>Oasis

mah nigga.

I fucking love this film

I think it's something you might encounter in college or university if you're writing about film and media or something along those lines.

Ong Bak (2003)

Thai movie.

The Forbidden Door (2009)

Indonesian movie.

City After Dark (1980)

Filipino movie.

Norte: hangganan ng kasaysayan
Ebolusyon ng pamilyang pilipino

>A Tale of Two Sisters (I don't know if I've actually watched this film with the English subtitles, but back when the cable subscriber provided a Filipino Cinema channel, they would show this film, probably dubbed in Tagalog, which I can't understand because I'm whitewashed. It looks scary. There's an American version.)

The American version will give you eye cancer, don't watch it, it is utter shit.

>Chocolate

Great film, some of the fight scenes are iffy, but most are satisfying. That qt JeeJa Yanin

It can be wannabe Japanese if it's Korean, though.

>no mention of Castaway on the Moon
Plebs, all of you. For shame.

>train to busan
>6/10
Nigga it made me cry probably more than any other movie I've ever seen. Shit taste.

Underrated movie

Going by the Book and Someone Special, starring the same main actor, are great too.

This.
>mfw jaypan gets a Shin rollercoaster and a bunch of cool shit for it they don't want baka gaijins to have

I want to watch this so bad, but there is no good torrent for it yet.

Shaolin soccer
Kung fu hustle
God of cooking
Confessions
JSA
Man from nowhere
Sassy girl
3iron
End of eva

Confessions
A Girl At My Door
Air Doll
Castaway on the Moon
Hansel and Gretel
Cyborg She
The Host
A Simple Life
House of Flying Daggers
Memories of Murder
In The Mood For Love
Breathless
The Man From Nowhere
Take Care of my Cat
Sonagi
Premonition

>Stephen Chow

You have a very patrician taste.

The American version of A Tale of Two Sisters seems okay.

I just remembered this clip on youtube about the Chocolate star: youtube.com/watch?v=meYRamNHVXA

Also, the Greatest Movie Ever podcast did an episode of Chocolate: gmepodcast.com/2014/07/06/the-girl-who-loved-tony-jaa/

Also the greatest wuxia film of all time, and. It only that but simply one of the greatest films of all time, is king hu's "a touch of zen". Absolutely criminally underrated but it got a criterion release last year. It's a 3 hour epic with some of the most amazing and beautiful cinematography you'll see anywhere and the last 30 minutes is sublime. The fight scenes are great but since everything else about it is so good theyre just like icing on the cake. It makes crouching tiger hidden dragon look like some z-tier Shaw brothers flick.

Isn't End of Eva like the Evangelion movies? I don't think that counts since it's Anime and not live action. Well, there was that live action segment to the film. But it's still mostly Anime.

Surely you jest. A torrent and subs have been up for days now.

The Vietnam Trilogy by Tran Anh Hung

All modern Korean film fans are max plebs.

hd?

i aint watching kino in low quality.

Am I the only one that thought the Oldboy remake was decent? Josh Brolin did a great job as he always does and even though the hallway fight was nowhere near as good as it was in the original it was still pretty good for an american movie fight scene

"and. It" should be "and not" fucking phone posting.

Also anyone into samurai flicks like zatoichi, sword of doom, kill!, etc should check out the sleepy eyed swordsman series. #4 directed by kazuo Ikehiro is amazing

>ywn be dominated by a diminutive Thai Martial arts expert

Why even live?

ywn as in You're Worst Nightmare or You Will Never. Dude, I think the Greatest Movie Ever podcast mentions that she got married.

>The American version of A Tale of Two Sisters seems okay.

It really isn't.

Why would the family that we believe love the mother be okay with her living in a boathouse with a little bell strapped to her wrist so she can get attention from people in the huge fucking house 200ft away?
Why did the dead sister say "Why doesn't anyone speak to me?"
What the fuck were those ghost children doing at the funeral?
Why would the psychiatrist say that she should "finish what she started" when what she started was trying to kill her dad and the nurse. Yes, I know, the script writer was trying to be clever.
Why would she kill Matt?
"I love you, I have a condom"
A body in a bin bag saying "Don't go home" in a witchy voice.

No, just, no.

>ywn

You will never

>I think the Greatest Movie Ever podcast mentions that she got married.

This just adds to ywn for me.

;_;

Forgot...

Shutter

I also have a soft spot for the Wishing Stairs series of films

Yeah, well, I've never really watched the American version. But it can't be that bad.

The Wishing Stairs, isn't that the Korean horror film about the lesbians. I think I saw that. It has ballet in it, right? Or some kind of dancing?

One of the most edgy and degenerate movies I have ever seen. Worth watching at least once for Koji Yakusho's performance and the spectacle of it all.

>American remakes of foreign films
>can't be that bad.

All memes apart, yes, it can be, and it is. Watch it if you must, but don't say you weren't warned.

>Lesbian Korean schoolgirls

Yes, but there's nothing explicit.

time for the REAL ratings

youtube.com/watch?v=i-si3ziDH1c&t=84s
train to busan 8/10 when it's not a tense thriller it's a schlock unintentionally funny action movie

youtube.com/watch?v=6PYX5NwOvjw
handmaiden 8/10 return to form after shitty Stoker and Thirst

youtube.com/watch?v=mHkchrIKKog
the wailing 6/10 overhyped mediocrity. Nice visuals, but a predictable slog to get through.

I saw the devil- 6/10 mediocre just like the wailing

Old Boy 10/10
Battle Royale 8.5/10
The Host 10/10
The Raid 5/10
Thirst 4/10 indeed

Haven't seen bittersweet life or ichi

Yeah, I'm aware that American remakes can be quite terrible. Dragon Ball: Evolution for example was terrible, although that was an American live action adaptation of an Anime series.

Also, I remember going to the local video store as a child back when they had VHS cassettes. I think I remember seeing the video box for an Asian live action adaptation of Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z. I've never watched any of the Dragon Ball live action movies. But the one I saw at the video store really looked bad judging by the cover.

I don't remember if it was this film: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_The_Magic_Begins

Or this film: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_Ssawora_Son_Goku,_Igyeora_Son_Goku

>No Ipman
>No 36th Chambers of Shaolin
Fuck outa here

Avistaz has open registration for the next few days.

I enjoy slice of life stuff personally. I like Komori and Umimachi Diary. Hiroyuki Koreeda in general is top tier.

Looks good, thanks for the rec.

About to watch Memories of Murder. Seems interesting. Is it any good? Doesn't really matter what you say, I'm gonna watch it anyway, but I'd still like to hear what people think.

Thriller with comedic moments. The director managed to do that very well for me.

>BATTLE ROYAL BETTER THAN OLDBOY

Kys

>it's this thread again.

City of Life and Death
You will want to kill all Japanese people you see after watching it

Oldboy is overrated trash, Battle Royale is too but the scene with the chicks in the lighthouse makes it worthwhile.

Never saw Oldboy, but I did see the hallway fight scene from the Korean version and was watching the American version of that fight scene.

Don't know if Battle Royale was better than Oldboy, but there is a sequel to Battle Royale which had some criticisms of America's war on terror. But both Battle Royale and it's sequel were good films.

I should also mention that Casshern also has criticisms of the U.S. and it's war on terror when I recommended the film. You should also be warned that there were critics who didn't like the live action Casshern film, although I thought the film was okay.

You post this right when I was typing all that stuff.

Bump.

>The Raid
>5/10

The Great Wall - 9/10, an interesting story is weakened by an insistence on absolute historical accuracy.