What are some movies that do world building really well?

What are some movies that do world building really well?

Other urls found in this thread:

avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_generation?file=Mako_working_in_power_plant.png
youtube.com/watch?v=_7VaCKfkfmQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Star wars.
Except maybe 7.

The Matrix.

maxi pad furious flow

John Wick

Lord of the Rings film series
Game of Thrones
Attack on Titan
The Matrix (seconded; mostly anything by the Wachowskis has decent world-building)
Cowboy Bebop
The Lord of the Rings 1978
The Hobbit 1977
Hellboy & Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
(i'm thinking of more...)

the directors of helped film fun fact. They are the Wachowski's second unit directors on action scenes

Mars needs moms

Are those throwing spears?

Blade Runner.

The phantom menace

poking spears

they no doubt have a blaster on them too, but when your up there if citizens are being a nuisance you cant really shove them with your hands or gun, so a poker is good

i would imagine

>& Korra
"wrong"

So what's the point of those spears? They're too short to be useful when the stormtroopers are all the way up there. Do they have to wait until the thing bends down to take a shit before they can spear people? Why don't they just have guns?

I loved Korra the entire time, I waited each week for each episode and they were fantastic. The artwork was great. The action was great. The music was escape-worthy. The world was consistent and self-containted. The story didn't get too hamfisted. What's to hate there user?

>Sitting on a 15ft horsey thingy
>Use a 7ft lance

not him but everything about korra with shit and they retconned like everything from avatar

it was a giant turd
>im the avatar DEAL WITH IT

(For More realistic world-building)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Spartacus
No Country for Old Men
Hateful 8
Django Unchained
The Godfather (part 1 & part 2)
Once Upon a Time in America
Rio Bravo
Outlaw Josey Wales
The Searchers
Sweeny Todd (and a lot of Tim Burton works)
The Prestige

Back to Fantasy/Animation
An American Tail
Dragon Ball (tournament sagas especially)
Samurai Champloo

Shrek

can you provide an example?

they actually retconned nothing.

Implying the spear isn't used to prod the tallhorse.
>Mfw it has no name

the world building was shit in korra

the creators just said dood, i love the 1920s lets go for that vibe- even though the technology they had was all over the place and was emulating our 1920s not taking into account how differently things would have developed with bending. Like in avatar the trains were pushed/operated by earth benders, none of that thought was put in korra

Naruto
One piece
Lego movie

Naruto had a pretty fucking sick lore

yea the Naruto people animated the second season of Korra, and it was pretty cool.

I've never gotten into Naruto, if I do how much should I watch to judge it accurately

Artist was ok, an improvement. Action was boring (only used fire for almost every action scene). Story was shit because each chapter seemed like an incomplete story that was barely tied together with characters not worth watching develop through the series, 2 chapters at most. Intro was good but the music overall was jarring it didn't transition over well from the original series.

>overall 4/10

I haven't watched it in years, if i were rewatching it though I'd probably watch until the end of the first mission (after the trial) and look up a list to skip all the filler to decide if I still like it.

absolutely it was.

the introduction of metal bending had a number of effects, and radio and bullet trains would definitely be one of them.

The Idea of a Brass and Radio influenced world is the idea of STEAMPUNK and the creators had a viable reason to build a steampunk show, so they took it.

the development of the avatar in the first place
Aang had to bust his ass to learn let alone master each element, but at age 4 korra can do everything except airbend

Also airbenders have the arrow tattoos put one when they became proficient at airbending, but just random women and children had it in the flashback 2 parter

Speaking of that two parter, in original lore bending was learned from animals ect (air bison, dragons, etc) but then they brought the dumbass tutrle gift shit out of nowhere

Bloodbending was also retconned, used to be you couldn't bloodbend without a full moon but that faggot could just do it whenever and was basically a psychic god.
Also equally fucked up metal bending, as that was specifically developed with the blind chick being blind and moving some elements within metal, not controlling giant metal robots

show is fucking dumb

Maybe, but I still think the lanklet horse is overkill if they guy on top can't even do anything.

I guess he has a better chance than anti-aircraft spear guy though.

>he thinks that's a spear

>metal bending allows you to create transistors

also the abundance of metal and lightning benders was one of the dumbest things in the whole show, used to be only the very strongest fire benders could use lightning but now everyone can do it for some reason
And Toffs blindness and using her sonar was what allowed her to detect the earth elements withing metal to be able to bend it, everyone being a metal bender also makes 0 sense

Bloodbending is still only able to be done at full moon, only a few extremely talented people, who have been practicing it their entire life can do it without, like Yacon.

The flashback in the 2-parter was thousands of years ago, so I think it is safe to assume that in thousands of years, the air nomads went having everyone be a true air proficient and those who just said fuck it, its not worth it, and were left tattooless.

I do somewhat agree about the Lion Turtles, but I like to imagine that their is deeper story there, like the Lion Turtles gave the power of bending to the people, but they learned the different techniques from the animals (dragons, bisons, etc)

but all of you arguments were based on seasons 2-4 (which didn't have near as much preproduction as season 1) so am I safe to assume that if it was just season 1 you would like it?

And can we at least agree that where it might have a few problems, it is better than 95% of television and movies; At least it tries to do fantasy world-building, most shows don't even attempt.

korra was shit, fuck you

>And can we at least agree that where it might have a few problems, it is better than
NO, WRONG

not everyone can lightning bend, only the STRONG firebenders, like Mako (who was an athlete and professional bender)

Only people with Earthbending that also have fire bending in their family tree can lavabend, like Bolin.

The abundance of metal benders is only because we see like all of them. The police officers are metal benders (such as Toph's daughter) but that's maybe 10-15. Then we meet a city that is a refuge for like-minded metal benders (such as Toph's other daughter) but that is like another 10-15. So in all there is like 30 metal benders.

Personally I thought there were some gaps left out at the end of The Last Airbender, (such as the whole non-bender population) and I thought Korra touched on those issues in a realistic and thrilling way.

they used fire a bit because Korra was supposed to be the opposite of Aang, and Aang chose to rebuke fire.

>Bloodbending is still only able to be done at full moon, only a few extremely talented people, who have been practicing it their entire life can do it without, like Yacon.

Except the master bloodbender in Avatar could still only bloodbend during a full moon. And your also wrong in your claim, as both brothers could bloodbend not during a full moon when they were practice with their father in the flashback

>The flashback in the 2-parter was thousands of years ago, so I think it is safe to assume that in thousands of years, the air nomads went having everyone be a true air proficient and those who just said fuck it, its not worth it, and were left tattooless.
Except they got the tattoos in honor of the bison that taught them how to airbend retard. If they received the gift of airbending from the turtle (which they did according to shitty korra lore) they wouldn't have the tattoos at all

>like the Lion Turtles gave the power of bending to the people, but they learned the different techniques from the animals (dragons, bisons, etc)
They use identical techniques in the past and present, with the exception of airbenders just flying on fucking nimbuses which was crazy retarded

>And can we at least agree that where it might have a few problems, it is better than 95% of television and movies
Hell no
Flat, terrible one dimensional characters (especially korra), useless love triangle, whole bender arena shit was stupid, her development was stupid (airbending requires tranquility and spirituality but fuck it yolo i just did it), ridiculous world, no consenquences for anything she does ever

The fact it exists and tarnishes Avatar is disgusting

points out the most non storyline/series ruining things about the show, showing that they watched at least 30 episodes of it.

>The music was escape-worthy

?

Star Wars
Star Trek
Stargate

GOAT Joaquim dos Santos action first season.
GOAT Henry Rollins Zaheer.

Actual Jeremy Zuckermann score as opposed to borrowed samples.

Story wasn't lampooned by Nickelodean's child friendly quota.

I honestly don't see the downside. It could have been a lot worse, like Disney-fied like the recent StarWars and Star Trek movies, with terrible continuity ruining things, such as the Tribble. Or Michael-Bay-fied with explosions!!!

At least they gave us story and animation over

If they change the rules it's a retcon.

Poor excuse, if it's made for aesthetic look over purpose the original intent is ruined.

Season one was good/ok the makeup scene kills it for me.

I would say it was better if it wasn't just 1920s the TV show with bending. They just copied things frim 1920s into their world, nothing seemed innovative or unique.

actual Jeremy Zuckerman soundtrack.

Listen to Season 1 ep 3 when Korra gets attacked by the chi-blockers for the first time.

There is a beautiful string harmony that is just pure escapism.

reminds me of the very last scene (as the credits rolls) of The Last Aibender season 1 ep 2. (beautiful xylophone)

Breh, did you even watch the show?
Republic city runs off of a bunch of niggas bending lightning
avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_generation?file=Mako_working_in_power_plant.png

there were like 4 people in avatar who could bend lightning, who trained their entire lives from early childhood to be top tier warriors

But chubby mako and some random fags from the streets can do it? come on

Aang used Water and Earth quite extensively being Air orientated, yet Korra used fire 80% if the whole series.

no a retcon is when the re-write the rules.

What they did is introduced a Michael Jordan to the game of Basketball.

the world progresses in Avatar. The one old Lady who was good at it was good at full moon.

Then someone else learns form her and practices more often, getting better. Like Mozart learning from Bach.

Then his kids learn from him so they get better.

am I really explaining progression to you.

they didn't break nor re-write any rules, they just evolved their world while remain consistent and coherent. (if you eatch the first season they explain all of this)

how to get struck by lightning 101

Bloodbending is intrinsically tied to the moon, thats like saying if you practice hard enough you'll never have to breath.

Fucking pathetic excuses you're making for this shitty retcon bullshit

I've only seen the first two seasons, but there a few things that stick out tome, particularly in regarding this: >Story wasn't lampooned by Nickelodean's child friendly quota.

It pretty much was at major points. Bolin had the moxie to go after Korra in the first season as a romantic interest. There is absolutely no way in the world that a man who has that much respect for himself would let himself be abused by the daughter of that one dude in season 2. It was played for laughs, but honestly really grating that they regressed his character that much. The fact that it is on Nickelodeon is why they did that, though.

In season 2 there was a prime opportunity for a completely grey season regarding Korra dealing with her father, and her father's brother. Who is right, who should Korra listen to? Her father, or the man who completely trusts in her abilities. It is given black and white children's show morality when it is shown that Korra's brother manipulated her father into burning the forest down, and that the black spirit was manipulating him.

>80989651
its not in The Last Airbender that a bunch of people learned how to DO it but how to CONTROL it.

The people in Korra are being very reckless because, similar to the advancing industrial age in the 1870s-1920s, a lot of labor is needed. I guarantee those plants have a high rate of deaths. Also as I said, Mako is a professional. He bends for a living, ever since he was a boy.

see you just layed out the mirror tho..

Aang used 80% E.E.
20% Fire (only when absolutely necessary)

Korra used 80% Fire
20% E.E.

they are mirror opposites

are you honestly saying that the show is not good because she didn't use enough of the element you wanted??

So just if she had used a little more water, it would be the best show of all time?

I can't believe some of you peops

pretty much anything verhoeven

Lance Armstrong only takes like 5 breaths every 10 minutes or some shit because his lungs are so large from working them out.

Yes it is the same concept.

No, it wasn't a matter of control; it was doing it in the first place
>"There is energy all around us. The energy is both yin and yang; positive energy and negative energy. Only a select few firebenders can separate these energies. This creates an imbalance. The energy wants to restore balance and in a moment the positive and negative energy come crashing back together. You provide release and guidance, creating lightning."

To even be able to separate those energies you had to already be a master firebender among other things, including spiritual and mental balance- something mako clearly lacks in the first place.
Did you start with korra or something? Everything you're saying is really fucking dumb, and just digging a bigger hole over an indefensible pile of garbage

He still breaths, so its not.
You can't bloodbend without the moon- period. That was true regardless of level of skill in avatar from master to pupil.

>We are so lost

Starship Troopers

Would you like to know more?

Yea, season 2 was meant to be like an Avatar meets Hamlet thing. It was cool (IMO but not most people's) for it's style (Like Eska and Desna)

But there was like 2 episodes where Korra Thought her Dad was a bad guy, (until she threatens a judge to tell the truth)

I can understand that nowadays watching each episode and being bale to binge em not seeming like much, but when we had to wait a week, it seemed like Korra thought he dad was bad FOREVER

youtube.com/watch?v=_7VaCKfkfmQ

right, because it was outlawed and they had yet to establish the full potential.

Like when the Sith learn how to stop death. (Some say that's a myth but hypothetically)

Water World.

Not a joke, unfortunately the movie is about a dying world, so not much to work with.

>But there was like 2 episodes where Korra Thought her Dad was a bad guy,

Yes, I saw the season, as well. I'm merely addressing this point:

>Story wasn't lampooned by Nickelodean's child friendly quota.

Because it was, with the reasons i stated.

>right, because it was outlawed and they had yet to establish the full potential.

No, because waterbenders draw their power from the moon and they can only draw enough power from a full moon to be able to bend blood. That is established avatar lore, and all the mental gymnastics in the world wont change it.
And there was a master level bloodbender in avatar, so clearly people were still studying it. And bloodbending was still outlawed between avatar all the way to korra, so there wouldn't been any great period of mass study

Micheal Jordan obeys and adheres to the rules of basketball. Like he must stay inbounds, dribble, etc.

Core rule of blood bending explained in AtLA book 3 requires full moon.

Your example would be more like; basketball players have to stay inbounds, except this player. No point for the rules if you just ignore them.

They rewrote the rules by adding a character that says fuck it to a core principle of blood bending, requires full moon.

Progression would be more like over years they're able to take control of so much natural moments with blood bending that you couldn't tell they were being blood bended, or use blood bending to have them bend. What they did was just out out of left field.

You did explain it to me, I don't think you know how it applies to things though.

right, I remember the creators talking about this scene.

essentially its a BTFO to all sexists and misogynists. In a way, the entirety of Korra is

right but I don't think u get that one old lady, disguised in a town of people practicing only when she can, isn't exactly a MASTER.

however, a father with his two sons, left isolated in the snowy abyss, training for 5-10 years.

Can you elaborate?

There was YouTube video where they talked with Jeremy Zuckerman and they were saying how people were worried that Avatar Korra wasn't going to do well because she's a female.

Well "DEAL WITH IT!" as she says haha

jesus christ you're a faggot

>likes Korra
>calls other people faggot

Correct

This is some Trudeau-tier cuckery

Anything that isn't Riddick

Mars Needs Moms

Titanic

Why fuck is this horse thing kind of cute?

>Except maybe 7.

That's an understatement. TFA has the worst worldbuilding of any major release fantasy movie. Not saying it wasn't OK in other aspects.

Riddick movies
Screamers
Total Recall
Starship Troopers