Let's talk about Arrival

Let's talk about Arrival.

I really liked it. I really enjoyed how much they focused on the concept of understanding the alien language, and I thought the twist was very cleverly handled. It's one of those films that gave me a lot to think about after I was done.

It was a 6/10

>It was a 6/10

The realization that the same director of Arrival is making the new Frank Herbert's Dune movie has me heaps exited. He sure knows to do plot, character and story instead of bland Hollywood action and humor.

Really? It has me the opposite. He does stylistically okay movies, with pedestrian, ordinary plots.

What is pedestrian or ordinary about Arrival?

I enjoyed it a lot as well, OP, but you should know this board hates it. Or maybe people here like it now. Whichever is more contrarian.

Why do they hate it? I've seen plenty of Oscar-winning movies that Sup Forums loved. And I know for a fact that this board loves Sicario.

Expecting anything.

Found masterpiece.

FOTY 2016 for me. I loved it.

It's a 20 min short story drawn out for two hours.

A 5/10 for thinking it can get away with space odyssey pacing.

Most films try to cram 300-page books into a mere two hours, which is just not plausible.

It's a nice breath of fresh air to see a film that has the luxury to take its time.

Mm.

I mainly liked it because of the building tension which Villeneuve executes perfectly in basically all of his films and the execution of the first contact scene.
One of the best first contact scenes in cinema history. Also god tier sound design.

The narrative get's a little clunky midway and Renner and Whitaker characters were far too much underwritten. Amy was decent.

My experience was by and large the same as yours. However, as others have pointed out, Sup Forums hates it so its hard to discuss it without the obligatory contrarian shitposters and shitposting fucking up the thread.

As a language nerd it was particularly interesting.

Why did they aliens send 12 ships?
Why did they have this contrived situation where humans would need to decode their language, they aren't smart enough to figure out human languages?

I liked it, nice message about enjoying the present.

Jeremy Renner is literally the only reason I refuse to watch this film.

A big part of the movie is the ayylmaos making us humans work together so we can help them in 3000 years, that's why they come in 12 ships.

If it was just one ship with a simple understandable message you think the government of that country would let anyone else know about it?
You think they would let Louise publish a single line about it too?

You refuse to watch it because it has a great actor in it? I don't get it.

The tension in Sicario was masterful. Not quite as good in this though but it's really his strong suit.

Hang on. What if the reason Donald Trump is trying to ally us with Russia is because of impending alien contact? Is Arrival foreshadowing the future?

Hmmm.

>great actor

Yes, Jeremy Renner is a great actor.

Only one problem I have with this movie:
It assumes the viewer never ever watched a movie before.

Because when you present scenes of a small child and a women and immediately later this women, boy I though it was her child first time I saw her so 1 hour and a half in the movie girl goes "Who, who is that child why am I seeing this boo" I get what the movie was trying to poorly illustrate, that she NEVER was married and NEVER had a child. I felt 0 emotion for that twist.
In the movie, this is presented in a retarded manner.

Otherwise, I liked the octupuses-1 and the ink stuff

Huh? It actually does the opposite, it works with the assumption that the viewer has watched a lot of movies so they expect that scene was meant to be a flashback, then BOOM, they hit you with the reveal that it wasn't and you're like "Oh shit" and you spend the rest of the movie sorting it out. Yeah, they could have done it a bit more subtly than having her say "Who is this child" but then the average viewer wouldn't have gotten it. My mother still didn't and I had to explain it to her.

But she did marry and have a child. She married Jeremy Renner and had a kid with him, knowing full well that the kid would die early. This is why he left her. The point of the film is that the aliens perceive time differently. Its not A to B. There is no past or future. Its all happening simultaneously.

I liked it, it was comfy somehow. Girlfriend cried at the end when she got the twist so I had to convince her that I would tell her the future if I saw it

It really was comfy. It's nice to see an alien movie that is entirely about communicating with the aliens rather than sticking in some hamfisted excuse for action.

But then you didn't tell her? Liar

>Let's talk about Arrival
Let's not.

Is this some advanced 4D reverse baiting or are you actually retarded?

Too late nerd. Haha, owned.

This is bait right?

>expository word dump in the middle instead of showing by doing
>suddenly she's really good for no discernible reason except montage during word dump
>suddenly time loops, I ain't gotta explain shit

It all felt really hamfisted. Too easy. You undo the drama of a plot by saying "nobody was ever really in danger at all because time travel lol".

I liked it, too. Then I came to Sup Forums and apparently I'm supposed to hate it. So fuck you, OP.

>time loop
>time travel
Thanks for making it obvious you didn't understand the film, now I don't have to waste time responding to you.

When it was released the vast majority of Sup Forums loved it, whole catalog was filled with Arrival threads and "MOTY" as the OP post.

The hate came when the screenerfags saw it.

>screenerfags
What does this mean?

>humans exist in 3 dimensions
>here's a magical """language""" that gives you access to 4
>this somehow doesn't constitute time travel

No user, you're the retard.

People who saw the screener version, which was the first rip of Arrival available.
It's an atrocious 700mb video file with 96kbps audio, the only worse option is literally the cam rip.

There is no time travel in Arrival.
Only her perception of time changes where she "remembers" the future just like we remember our past in the form of memories.

She never leaves the current narrative, and you wouldn't say you "time travel" when you remember some childhood memory, would you?

Oh, that's horrible. No wonder they hated on it.

you might as well claim there is no time travel in quantum leap

You might as well just take a shotgun and blow your brains out.

You're arguing semantics. Being able to manipulate the fourth dimension is the definition of time travel. You're getting hung up on spatial coordinates. She's capable of moving information from one point in the fourth dimension to a different point. The information has traveled. To equate future memories with past experience is a specious notion at best anyway.

You must be very simple minded if a movie made to impress stupid people actually impressed you.

When I first saw the trailer I thought it was going to be good, but when they showed the second trailer I noticed that there was almost no new footage and then I realized that the entire movie has just about no content to it.

Don't get me wrong. It's an entertaining movie. It was interesting how the daughter was her looking into the future, but it really isn't noteworthy.

She experiences time simultaneously. Time doesn't move from A to B, the way humans perceive it. Its happening all at once. The alien language lets her perceive it the same way as the aliens.

So this is what the Sup Forums shitposting for this movie looks like. Predictably trite.

its cute how angry people get when they have no counter-arguments.

Then let's suppose it's this. This just further reinforces the point that the drama of the whole thing is drained clean out actually making the last act fairly ridiculous. If she's capable of perceiving every point in her personal timeline at once, then why is she even scared? Why is she panicking? She already knows how she gets out of this little snit, and she is instantaneously aware of just what she needs to say to get out of it. The drama becomes contrived ruining the whole climax of the film.

Remind me why this is a good film?

Is that why you're so mad?

It isn't likd she grasps the non linear language fully at once, you see her constantly getting struck by "visions" which she doesn't have a clue what they are about.

She clearly learns slowly what does "the gift" mean and how to use it, it's not like an immediately unlocked superpower at maximum potential.

It's a good film because it has an intriguing narrative, decent performances, great editing, top notch production design, framing and composition which supports the narrative, god tier sound design, great soundtrack and decent characters (excluding Renner and Whitaker)

Just because you didn't like "the twist" doesn't make all of these elements automatically bad.

Then it's just entirely coincidence that she's capable of remembering a 15 second snippet of conversation in the 5 second window she desperately needs to use her unwieldy and untested powers.

This makes it better.

>too easy
>hamfisted
>enjoy your gift-wrapped denouement

It's nice of you to put the effort in to spoonfeed that retard even though he's a stubborn asshole who cannot conceive of ever being wrong.

I'll give you all this. I enjoyed the parts of the movie. But the movie itself as an overall narrative is let down in the last act. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it's certainly not oscar good (outside of several of those specific technical categories you listed).

>it's certainly not oscar good (outside of several of those specific technical categories you listed).
You realize that's why it won a SPECIFIC Oscar for a SPECIFIC category it excelled at, right? Where do you get off on calling it "not Oscar good"? Holy fucking shit.

>he came to a taiwanese massage school to circle jerk with everyone who agrees with him instead of engaging people with differing opinions in discussion

Fag.

>Where do you get off on calling it "not Oscar good"?

When I said the story falls apart in the last act. It's cool if you don't agree, but try not to shit out your organs disagreeing with me so hard friend :^)

Respond to the whole fucking post, you dumb cunt.

@81007422
>he typed out this extremely bitter post and won't even get a (you) for it

Nothing really happens. Very boring film if you have seen Sci fis that came before.

By then she already had a ton of these "vision" experiences and already told Renner that she understands what is their "gift" so it's clear (just like it's clear to the viewer) that she started to grasp what the gift is and how can she use it.
You don't see her "scared" or "panicking" like you said by the chinese general phone scene because she knows what she has to do, even if it means getting almost shot at.

Feel free to ask more questions if you are still confused

The whole reason Arrival is so well received is because it's a completely different type of film from sci-fis that came before. "Nothing happens" is also an empty criticism that tends to mean "It wasn't filled with action scenes and explosions so I zoned out."

>he's so bitter he won't even (you), but replies anyway because he can't help himself

It was a film for women. My gf enjoyed it very much.

Heh, got another (you) for free.

negro its success is middling at best it just had no budget so it turned a fair profit

most people called it on it's bullshit

>8.1/10 on IMDb
>94% on RT, certified fresh
>98% on RT from top critics
>83% audience approval on RT
>81% Metascore
>Grossed more than quadruple it's production budget
>Nominated for 8 Oscars including Best Picture, won in Sound Editing
>"its success is middling at best"

sure thing buddy

Its modest budget for a sci-fi film is one of the many reasons why I respect it. Pouring $400 million into another soulless action film that will be forgotten within a few months is completely idiotic. They had the right idea with Arrival.
>most people called it on its bullshit
Hmm, false. This is one of the rare films that was appreciated by both the critics and the audience. See the image.

I'll take this to mean that women like films that encourage the viewer to think while men just like mind-numbing action. We truly are the superior gender.

Idiocracy is happening for real. Arrival had nothing and it's been praised by the teeming masses of retards. It's financial success us due to timing it's release to lack competition, marketing and the low IQ's of the people that will go to the cinema regardless of what is on.

Life is better

Calvin >>>>>> Tom and Jerry

Whatever makes you feel better. It's a boring film. I thought less of my gf for enjoying it but she is 8 years younger than me. I'm slowly introducing her to good Sci fi.

>Arrival had nothing
My friend, it's clearly your brain that has nothing if you don't understand what Arrival had. You need to think long and hard about why you voted for Donald Trump.

>Whatever makes you feel better.
Thanks for admitting that you men exist solely for our pleasure. I knew you'd come around.

It didn't have the action and spectacle of a traditional Hollywood Sci fi and if you think it was deep you are simple.

Pulp Fiction and Fight Club are also overpraised by the teeming masses of retards, but that alone doesn't make the films bad.

Seems to me that you hate the people who like the film more than you hate the actual film.

I really liked the first half, somewhat original aliens and their language, but I could see the twist coming right from the moment they mentioned time and ended up not really liking the way they handed the end with the chinese general and shit. Still interesting to watch though. 7/10

the real question of the movie is how some ayylmaos with 4d vision and interdimensional ships expect the humans to help them, we cant even get our shit together in the middle east in 3000 years we will be dust

>no tentacle sex

0/10 OP

The only good thing is how hot Amy Adams is

>a film needs action to be deep
Typical plebeian thought process.

You are trying way to hard.

>I can't read
Kek

If humans stop following all religions we'll have a chance. Confirmation of advanced alien life that doesn't believe in some spirit in the heavens could spark that transition.

By giving us the gift of the non linear language they literally made us get our shit together.

If you would know your whole life from start to finish you would find beauty and joy from the smallest bits of moments in a day which you may take now for granted.
There is no fear of "omg world war three is coming" because all of humanity knows their whole life from start to finish.

If you don't have anything to say to my objective facts, then stop posting.

>Kek
Typical plebeian laughter.

You need to try less hard. Also arrival was a deep film for Americans. Retards in other words.

>Let's talk about Arrival.

Shit movie that's basically a Twilight Zone episode with more melodrama.

You're the one who is trying too hard since you can't stop replying despite getting thoroughly BTFO and having no retort.

Please say actual arguments about the film, not about the people who overpraise the film.

I'll never understand why some people get so triggered by exposition. Especially when these same people make it clear they don't know what's going on.

You apparently could have used some more exposition.

I can just keep pointing out that only dumb teenagers found this film complicated or deep and I can be sure that I am hurting feelings.

Something like that. The film (and short story) addressed the free will question in an interesting way. She knew everything that would happen and chose not to change it. I think it was a bit selfish of her to have a kid she knew would die and cause her husband great heartbreak at the loss of a child just so she could have memories of being a mother.

religion is also a way to keep the masses subdued and docile, if everyone suddenly realized there's nothing at the end and how unfair life is most people wouldnt take it well to say the least.

wouldnt that make life really boring and sterile? it would turn us into machines that know everything

Ah, so you admit it. You aren't here to discuss the film, you just want to try and rile people up.

Unlike you, we aren't teenagers, so we aren't affected by your banal prodding. You made a mistake admitting it, because now we know you're the one who feels hurt.

Lol thanks for all that.

>decent characters (excluding Renner and Whitaker)
I'll admit that he could have had more characterization than he did, but I still liked Renner's character. He was a nice guy, and there's a subtle appeal to how he was written because you get to speculate about what kind of a husband/father he was, and so on.