Will there be a worthwhile film adaptation of this novel in our lifetime? Is it even possible?

Will there be a worthwhile film adaptation of this novel in our lifetime? Is it even possible?

If so, cast it
>The Judge - Vincent Donofrio
>The Kid - Tye Sheridan
>Toadvine - Sam Rockwell
>Glanton - Guy Pearce
>Expriest - Bryan Cranston
>Captain White - Josh Brolin

Other urls found in this thread:

slashfilm.com/blood-meridian-james-franco/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

shameless bump

>Vincent Donofrio as the Judge

why? because he's big and bald? Why does that automatically qualify him for the role when other films have proven with a few production tricks you can make an actor look much larger and physically imposing?

James Franco should die before ever making an attempt at this.

bump

I just want him to leave East of Eden alone

Can everyone shut up about adapting this book? It will never happen. It is unfathomable. The story is too broad and so much is in the prose that would not translate oncreen. Casting The Kid would be impossible, and the Judge wouldn't be much better.

>>Expriest - Bryan Cranston

Go back to r.eddit.

He's going after Steinbeck now? Jesus Christ he's already royally fucked up Faulkner's work.

I'd like John Malkovich as the Judge

or even JK Simmons

War is God.

I love these discussion but we'll never have an actor that can accurately portray Judge Holden.
7 feet tall
No hair on his body
Babyish features(face, hands)
Robust/muscular
Chilling dialogue

I just don't see it happening. I might would choose Nathan Jones if he had a baby face.

John Malkovich has a great face for it, but I don't think he really has the physicality to take on Holden.

every casting thread is redditshits wanting movie stars for roles based on appearance.
predictable. shallow. boring.

Thankfully good films are never cast by the likes of you idiots.

I could see this if he could act well.

camera angles my dude

they can work magic with that shit

i can see this if anons were going "THEY SHOULD CAST X" but everyone's just talking about who would be interesting to see cast and talking about their merits

it's a legitimate discussion and no one is petitioning any casting agents or anything calm down you fucking retard

slashfilm.com/blood-meridian-james-franco/

This is unironically one of the worst things I've ever watched and it forever tarnished one of my favorite segments from the novel.

Franco already ruined Child of God.

Epub link plox

Check out the IRC. That's where I got it.

I concur, he's too soft spoken

“This is the nature of war, whose stake is at once the game and the authority and the justification. Seen so, war is the truest form of divination. It is the testing of one's will and the will of another within that larger will which because it binds them is therefore forced to select. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence.War is god.”

so at the end, the Kid (Man) goes to the outhouse and the Judge envelops him. does the Judge kill him? eat him? rape him?

For some reason I'd like Viggo Mortensen as the Judge. I'm sure he'd be down for a method acting role for him.

This edgy bullshit passes for a masterpiece

Kek

It's left up to the imagination. The three prevailing theories are as follows:

-The kid is horrifically and brutally murdered.
-The Judge sodomizes the kid and leaves him in the outhouse
-The Judge forces the kid to rape and kill the child who owns the bear. This means the person who is peeing and tells the guy not to go into the outhouse is the kid.

I tend to side with the first possibility.

The Judge - Bryan Cranston
The Kid - Wil Wheaton
Glanton - Daniel Day Lewis
John Jackson - Samuel L. Jackson
Tobin, the ex-Priest - Bill Nye

Where the hell does that third theory come from? As far as I know the only real possibility is that what the men find in the outhouse is the remains of either the kid/man (most likely) or the little girl.

the same thing that happened to the mysterious sodomized Mexican child found with a snapped neck in one of the bathrooms halfway through the novel

It is common of uncultured imbeciles to look upon works of art with contempt. Go crawl back to your cave, troglodyte.

Judge Holden- James Cromwell

Louis Toadvine- Viggo Mortensen

Captain White- Michael Fassbender

John Joel Glanton- George Clooney

Benjamin Tobin- Brad Pitt

David Brown- Javier Bardem

White John Jackson- John Malkovich

Black John Jackson- Denzel Washington

I see it mentioned in every discussion about the book. I don't personally agree with it.

Did the kid deserve to get raped/die?

>The Judge - Shaved Dolph Lundgren
>The Kid - Nicholas Hoult
>Toadvine - Edward Furlong
>Glanton - Jim Carey
>Expriest - Micheal Shannon
>Captain White - Mel Gibson

Anybody who associates themselves with Holden and passes on the opportunity to kill him deserves it.

Nicholas Hoult is too tall to play the kid.

But he will never die. Dude is literally not human.

As time goes on this book becomes more and more unmakable. Now you can't show the brutality of the Native Americans, even if you show it alongside the brutality of whites. If they tried to make this now they would be forced to trim it down to, "muh evil whites" and the centrifugal force of McCarthy spinning in his grave could fuel another 40 holocausts.

The Judge - Mark Proksch
The Kid - Tim Heidecker
Tobin, the ex-Priest - Greg Turkington
Glanton - Joe Estevez
Captain White - John Aprea

if he stops dancing will he die?

This is the voice I heard in my head when I read the book.

Well that's left sort of ambiguous on purpose. It's a what if scenario that we'll never see.

I highly doubt this. Bone Tomahawk and The Revenant both had Injins acting like unabashed savages.

Isn't there a scene where he levitates a coin around? I might be remembering it wrong and it could've just been one of his parlor tricks.

Everything the Judge says seems extremely brutal and true, but the whole novel is spent showing him deceiving others with elaborate intellectual justifications for war and violence, so it's hard to trust him, but when it comes to counter-arguments there is sweet fucking nothing in the whole thing to prove him otherwise about bears that dance/ bears that don't, and how if you don't fight you get purged and sent down to the footlamps to the night that is endless and without name

I don't believe he levitated it. He just had an almost supernatural sleight of hand. I read it a month and a half ago so I might be wrong too.

Cormac McCarthy isn't dead.

I swear in this scene he actually pitches the coin away from the campfire into the dark and he raises his hand and the coin comes flying back into his palm. Still, could just be a parlor trick.

I wish Tobin proved to be a bit more of a worthwhile intellectual adversary to the Judge. All of Holden's long-winded deliberations on war, history, the nature of man, etc. were always rebutted with variations of "you crazier than a sonvabitch" or
>spit

Tobin mentally breaks and loses all of his spirit in the desert when the Judge is pursuing them though, there's a bit where the Kid is telling them to hurry up and Tobin is just like it's over, he's right, game over man, game over. There is a sense that Tobin really opposes him but never works up the courage to say it early on and the Judge can sense that and tries to confront him to toy with him because of it

I honestly don't remember it very well. I just assume it was an implied parlor trick because this scene is never used to substantiate the argument that he's supernatural in discussions about the book. I'll try and find it so I can see for sure.

I need to read this shit again. Fucking loved this book and love Cormac McCarthy.

I genuinely believe that he's one of the top three living authors. His prose is unmatched.

Watch Bone Tomahawk

Shit I had forgotten about that. God I felt bad for that dude, I never really understood Tobin's motivation in joining up with Glanton and being complicit in the atrocities. I do remember in the segment where the Judge is discussing war, he specifically singles out Tobin to attempt to refute him and the ex-priest is completely at a loss for words.
Yeah I actually glossed over the scene on my first reading, assuming it was just Holden fucking with Glanton and the gang. But unless I'm remembering it totally wrong he does actually do some otherworldly shit.

Night of your birth. Thirty-three. The Leonids they were called. God how the stars did fall. I looked for blackness, holes in the heavens. The Dipper stove.

If you liked Blood Meridian, pick up The Crossing. In my opinion it's the only book worth reading from McCarthy's Border trilogy, and has a lot of similarities to Blood Meridian in regards to the setting and protagonist. Just prepare to feel really fucking sad.

Don't the Leonids return at the end of the book when the kid dies?

Yeah.

(the Demiurge was watching)

One of my favorite passages, along with the following
> Western eyes that read more geometric constructions than those names given by the ancients. Tethered to the polestar they rode the Dipper round while Orion rose in the southwest like a great electric kite. The sand lay blue in the moonlight and the iron tires of the wagons rolled among the shapes of the riders in gleaming hoops that veered and wheeled woundedly and vaguely navigational like slender astrolabes and the polished shoes of the horses kept hasping up like a myriad of eyes winking across the desert floor.

>just prepare to be sad
That's a pretty good primer for anything McCarthy wrote.

There will never be a film of this and you shouldn't wish for one. It's only slightly less impossible to capture than moby dick.

Southwest-kino at its finest. The Southwest is the most underrated part of the country.

The Crossing has the saddest ending in any of McCarthy's works, in my opinion. More so than the Road.

True. We have a lot of beautiful landscapes down here.

The Road fucked me up bad. It think I'll stay away from this book.

The Mennonite watches the enshadowed dark before them as it is reflected to him in the mirror over the bar. He turns to them. His eyes are wet, he speaks slowly. The wrath of God lies sleeping. It was hid a million years before men were and only men have power to wake it. Hell aint half full. Hear me. Ye carry war of a madman's making onto a foreign land. Ye'll wake more than the dogs.

Beautiful. It really puts you in this world. You aren't just an observer when reading McCarthy's books.

>Reconnecting with my father after years apart and mentioning to him how much I enjoyed The Road
>Not long after he is struck by a speeding car and killed
>Going through some of his personal effects, see he picked up the Road and had it bookmarked during the segment where the Man and the Boy are living happily in the bunker.
>mfw

I'm still carrying the fire, dad.

>Is it even possible?

no

some things should be left well alone, but as hollywood has shown with their treatment of anything sacred of late, it'll probably be adapted in the worst way possible while normies eat it up and one of the last great vestiges of american literature is transformed into a commodity on the same wavelength as capeshit with the novel's characters popularized into something akin to rick grimes or jon snow

if this ever happens, it'll be all the confirmation i need that this is in fact the worst timeline possible, without a doubt my favorite piece of modern american literature

I didnt know but what we'd be required to bleed into it like freemasons but it was not so. He worked it up dry with his hands and all the while the savages down there on the plain drawin nigh to us and when I turned back the judge was standin, the great hairless oaf, and he'd took out his pizzle and he was pissin into the mixture, pissin with a great vengeance and one hand aloft and he cried out for us to do likewise.
We were half mad anyways. All lined up. Delawares and all. Every man save Glanton and he was a study. We hauled forth our members and at it we went and the judge on his knees kneadin the mass with his naked arms and the piss was splashin about and he was cryin out to us to piss, man, piss for your very souls for cant you see the redskins yonder, and laughin the while and workin up this great mass in a foul black dough, a devil's batter by the stink of it and him not a bloody dark pastryman himself I dont suppose and he pulls out his knife and he commences to trowel it across the southfacin rocks, spreadin it out thin with the knifeblade and watchin the sun with one eye and him smeared with blacking and reekin of piss and sulphur and grinnin and wieldin the knife with a dexterity that was wondrous like he did it every day of his life. And when he was done he set back and wiped his hands on his chest and then he watched the savages and so did we all.

>John Glanton and his gang being perverted into a righteous and ethnically diverse band of warriors fighting against white imperialism

And then the judge, he steps up to the rim and he had with him a good white linen shirt from out of his bag and he waved it to the redskins and he called down to them in Spanish.
Well it would have brought tears to your eyes. All dead save me, he called. Have mercy on me. Todos muertos. Todos. Wavin the shirt. God it set them yappin on the slope like dogs and he turns to us, the judge, with that smile of his, and he says: Gentlemen. That was all he said. He had the pistols stuck in his belt at the back and he drew them one in each hand and he is as eitherhanded as a spider, he can write with both hands at a time and I've seen him to do it, and he commenced to kill Indians. We needed no second invitation. God it was a butchery

At least he stopped at a happy place. I'm sorry that happened. God bless you man.

>he hasn't seen him as King Pin in MemeDevil

>Judge Holden played by Leslie Jones
>The Kid is literally the character from Moonlight, but in a Western

late night mccarthy threads on Sup Forums are always so comfy, wish i could stick around

have fun anons

>tfw just bought all 3 and read this post

Going to red them anyway

directed by Zack Snyder

Actually I don't know how Cities of The Plain is, but I just couldn't finish All the Pretty Horses for the fucking life of me. Idk maybe I just couldn't unsee Matt Damon's mug from that god awful film adaptation, but I dropped the book.

Yeah and he was awful

he was an autist

bamp

Blood Meridian- 2014

>John Joel Glanton- Gary Oldman

>Priest Tobin- Paul Dano

>Louis Toadvine- Sam Rockwell

>Bathcat- Noah Taylor

>David Brown- Michael Shannon

>Doc Irving- Kevin J. O'Connor

>John Jackson (white)- Shea Whigham

>John Jackson (black)- Idris Elba

>Captain White- Aidan Gillen

not sure who'd play the Judge.

Who should play the shit eating retard idiot in the cage?

me