Iron Fist

Finally finished this. I really don't see why it got all the hate. It had a few things that bugged me but all in all it was very solid. Is it really just people being mad that a white guy is portrayed by a white guy? Granted, I haven't watched the other three shows because this was the one that interested the most. It could be that I'll end up liking the other shows more.

(And yeah, I know I'm a little slow but I'm not going to torture myself by marathoning 13 hour-long episodes. I like to take my time.)

And since this is Sup Forums and I can't get any responses unless I use a bunch of memes, WHAT WENT WRONG? WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS? WHO WAS IN THE WRONG HERE? BANE? WANT A TOOTHPICK? WHAT'S SAURON'S TAX POLICY?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Npx6gReF1Y
screenrant.com/flash-tv-captain-cold-freeze-laser-science/
youtu.be/JkEEGidt9GY
youtu.be/M645871Re7k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>series about martial arts
>piss-poor choreography with constant cuts

That's another thing actually. People kept insisting the fight choreography was bad and it actually wasn't, for the most part. There were a couple mediocre ones and I think people just took those and picked on them.

I'm a hong kong action cinema expert who has seen over 300 kung fu movies and has written literally thousands of analyses of martial arts choreography and I'm here to tell you that the choreography was seriously fucking bad and there exist no continuous sequences of moves in the entire series, it's packed full of cutting and doubling.

Danny does do a few cool moves here and there, but it's always one move per shot. You can't prove otherwise because the choreography is nonexistent. One move per shot isn't choreography

The actor that played Danny kinda sucked, the critics were right for complaining about his casting, but for the completely wrong reasons. Other than that, I gotta agree, I enjoyed the show a lot more than I thought I would, mainly because of the very strong supporting cast. Funny enough, Ward is probably the most interesting and 3 dimensional character out of all the Marvel Netflix shows, including the other main characters. I sure didn't expect that from a show about a magic kung fu warrior I would enjoy the side story arc of a corporate "villain" and his dad by far the most.

Okay, fine, I'll take your word for it, but it still didn't bother me in this show.

Maybe it is just my inexperience then. What would you recommend watching for examples of great choreography?

Tsui Hark's The Blade, Drunken Master II, Heroes of the East, Last Hurrah for Chivalry

Yeah, I particularly liked Ward as well, so I'm glad I'm not alone on that. I'll admit, before watching this show I heard it had a bigger focus on business meetings than fight scenes and that interested me about it.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

>When reviews started to come in trashing Iron Fist, and star Finn Jones’s performance, he responded sharply: “We filmed the show way before Trump’s election, and I think it’s very interesting to see how that perception, now that Trump’s in power, how it makes it very difficult to root for someone coming from white privilege, when that archetype is public enemy number one.”

Was he right?

I loved it. Finn Jones was comfy and fun to watch. The martial arts was cool. I came here hoping for memes and comfy kungfu show fun, but just negativity. Fucking always, Sup Forums. When are we going to have a show that we can just have fun with again?

I don't think we'll ever see it with a Marvel show. Way too much anti-superhero shitposting on Sup Forums. I haven't seen a single positive reaction to these Marvel Netflix series on Sup Forums even though the response to them elsewhere has been pretty damn good, especially Daredevil.

Though, actually, I take it back. If anything can unite Sup Forums, it's gonna be The Punisher. If we don't have good threads for that show, this board is too far gone.

>contrarian posts
like clockwork

People were expecting better fight scenes than Daredevil because the show is fucking called Iron Fist but not only did they not get that they spent too much time on Danny's company which nobody gives a shit about

Which ones are contrarian, now? I can never keep track of which side is considered the "right" side at any given moment.

You know what's funny? Despite the critics' attempt to bury the show under cries of "white privilege" and "mansplaining", it's still a HUGE hit. Just goes to show that you can't stop Marvel.

Interesting. What are your thoughts on the Raid films?

Is it contrarian if it got a fucking 18 percent on Rotten Tomatoes? A site that literally sucks off everything Mavel makes?

That's not the important score.

yankee go home

It was OK all the way through. And I'm sure the only reason it got the hate was because of the white thing.

Nothing great, but nothing terrible and the quality remained all the way through unlike in Daredevil where it starts off strong and then turns to shit come 2nd arc.

after daredevil-mma and stupid jones/cage-boxing, iron fist was a treat to watch.

I really liked it a few things bothered me though
>Harold somehow being able to put up a fight with a stick
Danny should have blown him the fuck out
why did Joy agree to kill Danny when she just got mad at her father for framing him

Flash and Agends ot Shield have higher audience scores lel

Yeah and those are probably good too.

Never pay attention to the critics reviews. Go by Audience Score. Critics tend to be liberal as fuck and sheep. This is why they shit on Iron Fist and why they always shit on DC movies. They follow the pack. Audience doesn't rate DC much higher but they don't shit all over it like critics do.

>Go by Audience Score.

kek. so how much do you love transformers and capeshit?

Flash... good... lol.

And Agents of Shit is only slightly less dumb.

For the mindless popcorn flick that it is, Transformers is great. Did you go into it expecting Apocalypse Now or something? Or some deep story involving cars and other vehicles that transform into robots?

It's implied that Harold has extensive martial arts training so I didn't find that too unrealistic. Remember the part where he kicked that guy's ass with a sword?
And Joy always struck me as a dumb bitch so whatever with that part, I guess. I hope she gets killed.

I've heard a lot of people say that AoS is easily the best Marvel show.

It's terrible. It wasn't even the best Marvel show on regular TV. Agent Carter was 10x better.

I've never even heard of Agent Carter.

That pos?
Also checked.

Can't go wrong with a show that showed some loli Russian killers.

>Power Rangers tier bad action
>Power Rangers tier bad perfomances
>Power Rangers tier shitty plot and villains
>More boring than Power Rangers
Bravo Netflix

Agreed completely about critics being sheep. Though it's not just that they're sheep, it's that they're sheep who have deluded themselves into thinking themselves that the audience are the sheep who will follow their every word. They try to control what is and isn't a success by saying "This is bad, this is good" and they always fail at it.

>hating Power Rangers
You FUCKING pleb.

>loli Russian killers
You have my attention.

the buisiness parts were boring
actor playing danny was bad
action scenes weren't interesting

BvS has a 3.6/5 audiece rating and MoS a 3.9/5 audience rating, I can get behind these numbers

youtube.com/watch?v=1Npx6gReF1Y

why not recommend Drunken Master 1?

They weren't horrible, they just weren't as good as they should have been.

This was my main gripe.

Also Iron Fist was poorly cast.

4/10 for me

I guess. Still didn't seem to add anything, at least the Netflix shows will get defenders, so people can forget no one cares for them.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

The audience basically always knows what's really up.

The Flash is better than Iron Fist though. Arrow too

I don't see the problem with this webm. Flash is a character with magic super speed that he gets from something called the "Speed Force", yet you draw the line because someone has a gun that can freeze lasers.

It's retarded.

The Alarm would have went off still. As the light was interupted.

Even if it didn't as he walked through and broke the beams, they would have started up again and the alarm would have went off.

There is a difference between suspension of disbelief and having to be a complete retard in order to be OK with that scene.

Danny was poorly acted and uninteresting. Ward, Joy and Harold were all better and more entertaining to watch.
The asian side kick and Claire were also annoying beyond belief.

I pulled up an article that seems to think it's entirely plausible.

>To be clear: it is not possible to turn a beam of concentrated light into solid matter. But, it IS possible to capture light inside a “frozen” substance, if cooled to its maximum density – not in the fantasy world of comic books, but our very own. It’s entirely possible, then, that Cold’s ray hitting the lasers was misunderstood: he wasn’t lowering the beam to absolute zero, but emitting a substance at absolute zero that could lock the light in place. Once locked, the frozen substance could be broken, trapping the light until the absolute-zero-cooled-substance warmed, the light emerged at regular speed, and the security system detected the break, and alarms sounded (as the episode showed).
screenrant.com/flash-tv-captain-cold-freeze-laser-science/

jesus
the writing in arrow is horrible, quit only due to cringe

flash is a lot better, especially the action scenes, but all romance/friendzone bullshit is cringy af
still watching the flash but I wish i could skip some scenes

This

Danny needs more muscle. Jackie was never bulked out but he had serious definition.

>cringe
You have failed this city.

youtu.be/JkEEGidt9GY

I liked IF alright. Its biggest flaw is the fight choreography, with the drunken fist fight being the most well made.

I could hear Wade drone on for hours.

So I wasn't the only one who thought he had a really cool voice.

youtu.be/M645871Re7k

Haven't read the thread, my bad but I did read the first few posts.

One thing that never comes up in these threads is the law of diminishing returns, as in DareDevil gets a fat fucking budget for it's kino fight scenes, Jessica Jones get whatever for her whatever but less, Luke Cage gets a little less and spends it on a hip hop soundtrack mostly and there is fucking nothing left for the Iron Fist.

Can't wait for the The Defenders, should be a shit show everyone still watches due to the fact they are still invested, producers laughing to the bank.

If you don't understand why Iron Fist is bad you probably have brain damage

Hint: it's not because he is white

Both blocked in my country. Where do you live that they aren't?

Pyongyang

Lol.

I finished the show yesterday, and it was one of the worst endings I've ever seen. If you think it was solid then you obviously don't know jackshit about cinema or TV shows in general. Even CW shows like Arrow and Flash are better, and they're fucking awful shows.

What does Trump have to do with any of it? He's an atrocious actor and his portrayal of Danny was annoying and unlikable.

Liberals are trying to use Iron Fist to push propaganda and he's taking it in stride to try and save his career, trying to take poor reviews of his performance and make it seem like it's tied to that and not his acting.

It's sad really, because I think he has potential, just not for the lead of a fucking hour-long series.

>and there is fucking nothing left for the Iron Fist.
It wasn't just a budget problem, a good script doesn't require a lot of money.

>It's sad really, because I think he has potential
I didn't see any in this show. I didn't see any in GoT either. He's your typical handsome but cannot act guy #895.

The reviewers aren't criticizing his acting, but his casting. Because he's a white guy and the show is about a rich white businessman. Like Trump.

Hell, you could argue that the Meachums are based on the Trump family. Harold is eerily similar to Donald.

>He's your typical handsome but cannot act guy #895.
Name 894 other actors this describes.

Look at all these sheep hating Iron Fist just because the critics told them to. The same critics who unironically used "mansplaining" as a criticism of the show.

Don't really care about what """"""reviewers"""""" think, he really was just fucking awful.

>I didn't see any in this show

It's a one hour long show without the meat for one, there's clearly almost nothing in it and it has to be filled in by the actors. Basically, jumping from Loras Tyrell, 10 minutes in a season if that, to having to perform a 40 minute monologue 13 times in a row is just stupid.

I personally thought he did a great Loras, but I think we can both agree you can't really tell that because it might just be that he IS Loras in real life, so there's no acting involved. Kinda like you can't tell RDJ is a good actor by portraying Tony Stark. He was just told to go and be himself.

I heard the guy got his figh choreography handed to him like 30min. before they started shooting the scene which is really all I need to know.

You're so retarded holy shit

No you.

>The actor that played Danny kinda sucked
Yes he's bad, the script is horrible too
>very strong supporting cast
you mean Ward? he the drunk fighter and the guy with the fork are the only 3 good characters in all the serie
The serie looks cheap for netflix, not a single scene in Kunlun? why?

Source? Because that does sorta fit somehow.

To me it seems like the production of the show is really, horribly bad. Sometimes the special effects are just atrocious in a way you can't blame budget or anything.

Not only are there fags defending Iron Fist, but they're defending CW trash too. HAHAHAHA. Hypocrites.

>Hypocrites
How so?

>The serie looks cheap for netflix

Netflix almost exclusively produces "real life drama about two quirky real characters finding XXX in everyday situations". Or whatever you wanna call it.

They tried their hand at big, fancy special effects stuff with Marco Polo (RIP) and got burned, hard. My guess is they're just trying too hard to avoid the mistakes of Marco Polo.

Showing K'un-Lun wasn't really that important to the story.

The funny thing is that I think more people are defending this because he's white.

His "character" is your everyday autistic weeb dipshit who keeps a katana and nunchakus in his backpack and complains about how no one takes alternative medicine seriously anymore.

He's the kind of douchebag cuck most people would hate on principle but because an attack on him is perceived of as an attack on all whites suddenly you have morons everywhere rallying for the show.

Even people who LIKED the series say Finn was horribly miscast.

Pic related, the guy who really should've gotten the role and actually knows martial arts.

>Netflix almost exclusively produces "real life drama about two quirky real characters finding XXX in everyday situations".
Where does Vin Diesel find the time to appear in so many shows?

I like Statham but he is WAY too old to be Danny Rand.

>Source?
Don't give me too much shit for this, but I've heard it on the Tested podcast where they've discussed the show - I think the original source was a tweet by one of the main actors. They also said it felt kinda cheap, but that wouldn't have stopped me from watching.

You say this but Frontier and Medici were way more recent than Marco Polo and they could not have been cheap to make.

You mean like Ben Affleck is too old to play Batman?

Or RDJ who's actually 2 years older than Statham?

You don't understand whites at all. Whites don't have herdthink mentality like minorities.

Ok, let's talk about that atrocious fucking ending. Holy shit it was one of the worst ways I've seen to end a season.

>Ward's ending is the only satisfying one. Still, there was a fucking shootout on the building, Harold came back from the dead and then died falling down from the sky with bullets in him. Doesn't anyone ask any questions?
>We were repeatedly told to kill a resurrecting man like Harold, you need to decapitate him. Yet in the end we see his body get cremated, does that work too? If so why did they spend so much time with decapitation talks? It's breaking the Chekov's Gun rule.
>Where the fuck did Davos find Joy? How did he find her? Why is she talking to him? She doesn't even know who that guy is. Is Davos working for Gao now? Why? This scene was so out of place it's fucking ridiculous.
>Danny and hot azn chick go to Kun Lun but Hand (which faction again?) supposedly attacked it and it's... gone? How is a city gone? Was it teleported? Was it razed? Then Danny enters bitchboy mode and lights his fist up and looks at it.

The whole thing brings up so many questions and not in a good way. What a clusterfuck.

Oh yeah totally bro.

*wink*

But they have that kid, and Danny talking all the time about Kunlun and we see only 2 scenes in the monastery

>His "character" is your everyday autistic weeb dipshit who keeps a katana and nunchakus in his backpack and complains about how no one takes alternative medicine seriously anymore.
This. It was embarrassing to watch him. I was laughing half the time and cringing the other half. And I don't think someone like Statham would fit the role, nor could even redeem it.

How do you think the casting discussion went down at Netflix?
>okay guys, we're making a kung fu superhero tv show and we're not going to be able to use stunt doubles much because he doesn't wear a mask. should we get that loras from game of thrones or someone with an actual martial arts background?

>Where the fuck did Davos find Joy?
Davos betray Kunlun and have been working all the time with the hand, the faction of Gao, isn't that hard, he also kill the monks

well this just made me sad. Marco Polo was literally the best tv series ive ever seen and it gets canceled after 2 seasons ending on a cliff hanger while shit shows like GOT exists

Those are both older heroes.
The Defenders are all a bunch of young punks.