Other urls found in this thread:

oecd.org/els/emp/oecd-employment-outlook-19991266.htm
oecd.org/employment/emp/ANNUAL-HOURS-WORKED.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=GhMNtayTEBI
data.oecd.org/lprdty/gdp-per-hour-worked.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=aZsYdesxVCg
youtube.com/watch?v=_uk6tGUJmCw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Average annual hours worked is defined as the total number of hours actually worked per year divided by the average number of people in employment per year. Actual hours worked include regular work hours of full-time, part-time and part-year workers, paid and unpaid overtime, hours worked in additional jobs, and exclude time not worked because of public holidays, annual paid leave, own illness, injury and temporary disability, maternity leave, parental leave, schooling or training, slack work for technical or economic reasons, strike or labour dispute, bad weather, compensation leave and other reasons. The data cover employees and self-employed workers. This indicator is measured in terms of hours per worker per year.

>work 1 hour
>take 2 hour break

60 hours? Shit, I do that in one day alone. What're you anons doing wrong?

>based on government-reported statistics
Lel

muh fake
>The concept used is the total number of hours worked over the year divided by the average number of people in employment. The data are intended for comparisons of trends over time; they are unsuitable for comparisons of the level of average annual hours of work for a given year, because of differences in their sources. Part-time workers are covered as well as full-time workers.
>Hours actually worked per person in employment are according to National Accounts concepts for 18 countries: Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Korea, the Netherlands, Norway, the Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey. OECD estimates for Belgium, Ireland, Luxembourg and Portugal for annual hours worked are based on the European Labour Force Survey, as are estimates for dependent employment only for Austria, Estonia, Greece, the Slovak Republic and Slovenia. The table includes labour-force-survey-based estimates for the Russian Federation.
For further details and country specific notes see
oecd.org/els/emp/oecd-employment-outlook-19991266.htm
oecd.org/employment/emp/ANNUAL-HOURS-WORKED.pdf

humans are overrated

youtube.com/watch?v=GhMNtayTEBI

But what about La Siesta y Fiesta™, mi amigo? Who will laze around in the sun, sleeping under a sombrero the size of Africa?

Without memes though, this isn't right. Mexicans deserve more free time.

>greeks work more than Germans
Now that's what I call a bullshit list.

It's called efficiency

>be Korean
>study 16h a day so you'll be able to get a job with shit pay
>work 700 hours more than the average Northern European every year in order to survive
>stay in the same office your entire life even though you hate it cause "muh loyalty"
>too busy working to have a life
>no time to find a spouse, better spent fapping to k-pop
>kids too expensive, better spent on plastic surgery to fix your ugly mug
>retire alone in your shitty, small, overpriced, rented flat in your 70s
>get nuked as you're trying to jump off a bridge

>implying nordicks don't take coffee breaks whenever they can

More workers, now.

>study 16h a day
stop this meme

hours attending school =/= study hours

>Compulsory education hours=time spent studying
Nice meme, but it's the countless of hours you're expected to spend on self-study that differentiates Korea's education system from most other OECD countries.

>nordcucks call Greece lazy
>they're the most hardworking in yurop

Hmmm

Yea There's a bit of distortion and exaggeration, but it's totally right. And so are the other Asian countries. But such efforts and sacrifices are also the driving force behind Korea's rapid growth, with no resources or legacy. I envy you oil friend

They aren't hardworking, just mentally disabled.

>germany

wtf why are krauts so lazy?

with that amount of hours you must be the masters of being purposely inefficient
here we call that making cebo or cartearla

then why are we so poor

Well ofc if you take Siestas all the timd and/or suck at your Job its gonna take forever

Its about getting work done while your at work (ie efficiency)

>Anecdotal gibberish

Even after accounting for truancy and study time spend outside of school, Koreans don't really study that much when you compare them to other Latin-American or Muslim countries.

>What is productivity
data.oecd.org/lprdty/gdp-per-hour-worked.htm

>when you compare them to other Latin-American or Muslim countries
I don't see your point. You're saying that there are students in shitholes that are worse off than them, so Koreans should feel better about their well documented problems? Okay, that is all fine and dandy, but I was never drawing comparisons between Korea and third world shitholes, that much should be obvious. What I find interesting is that it's regarded as one of the most developed societies the world has ever seen, yet everything points to them really struggling to find a healthy balance between school, work and family/regular life.

My point is that you have fallen into what I call the "East Asian scandalized caricature" meme.
When one discusses Korean or any other East Asian educational system (or other dimension like working or dating culture, etc.) the debate is shaped by the prevailing stereotypes about East Asians in the West, especially by Anglos, in the case of education those include baloney like:
>East Asian schooling is authoritarian
>teachers lead classroom discourse
>students study under enormous stress and pressure
>students mostly engage in rote memorization
>even though they perform well in International Large Scale Assessments they only do so because they lose the bliss and delight of learning
>bad at creativity
>bad at critical thinking
>bad at problem solving
>etc.
But they are just that, baloney, they are just accusations mostly from anglo newspapers in English, anglo blogs in English or anglo posts image-based bulletin boards in English, you barely hear that discussion in any Spanish-language media for example or by East-Europeans or Arabs that speak English, but when we look at the data itself we see that the accusations fall down, take for example the image that posted a few minutes ago here, according to the best data that we have we can see that 15-year-olds Koreans that are enrolled in school spend about the same time studying IN and OUTSIDE of school as enrolled 15-year-olds Italians, Chileans, Turkish, Montenegrines or Peruvians and yet you only find documentaries like these youtube.com/watch?v=aZsYdesxVCg that talk only about how insufferable life is under those East Asian (in this case Korean) conditions and they do so most of the time only comparing them to an Anglo country (in this case the United Kingdom), but they never talk about the Italians, the Chileans, the Turkish, the Montenegrines or the Peruvians because of memes

a meme, you aint gona be more productive in a factory than anyone else, comfy officejobs where you send an email once a day and make an excel about finance isnt actually productive but you get payed for more than a mexican earn an entire month

another example would be PISA in itself, unlike other ILSA like TIMSS or PIRLS, the PISA framework was designed to
>go beyond testing what students can reproduce what they were taught to assess students' capacity to extrapolate from what they know and creatively apply their knowledge in novel situations
a lot of anglo educators thought that their students were going to do much better in PISA mathematical literay than in TIMSS maths for example they said things like yeah of course East Asians do well on TIMSS because is mostly factual recall, because it is curriculum based, because it tests pretty young students, etc.

To an extend the gap is not as wide as in TIMSS but still the stereotypes remain.

They don't.

They are lazy, they do less in their time, they are less productive. Turkey and Chile know how to feel shame for not being productive. But the mentally ill Mexican keeps posting this shit with the hope of misleading someone into believing Mexicans are not lazy dumb savages.

Another example:
Teen suicide

In 2012 the teen (15-19 year-olds) suicide rate in Korea was about the same as countries like the United States, Canada or Poland, but you only hear or read (in English) that the high school performance of the Koreans (but not the Americans or Canadians or Polish) entails a high suicide rate among its youth.

Such is life for countries with no natural resources

What is this M*xican autist trying to prove?

This survey only includes hours spent in the three PISA tested subjects: Science, Mathematics and Reading. Aditionally there is an upper limit of only six hours a week, so I don't see how this survey would ever be able to accurately portray how much time students who spend more time than that actually spend studying.

Less developed countries shouldn't even be included in such a comparison, as the education levels and quality are worlds apart. There's also a big difference between a Korean/SEA student reporting that he spends 6 hours a week on his science homework and a student from a country with a completely different approach to studying and learning, like Turkey, Italy (or any Western country for that matter) reporting the same. What a student in these countries would qualify as 'studying' would not fly in these Asian countries. Tutors visiting your home for after-school lessons, and daily visits to private cram schools after regular school? Unheard of among the average European student.

>survey is biased because it doesn't agree with my conclusions
>suddently it doesn't when it comes to confirm my worldview
kys

why do you have all these graphs

I have no idea what you're on about José, but you're the conspiracy theorist here who claims all the bad press the Korean school system has received is purely due to defamation attempts by the Eternal Anglo.

>only includes hours spent in the three PISA tested subjects
No, it doesn't, it includes "science", "maths", "language of instruction" and "other subjects"
>Science, Mathematics and Reading
PISA doesn't really test subjects, again it is designed to tests skills, a better way to described them would be "science literacy" "mathematical literacy" and reading literacy" these may sound like technical mundanities but I think it is very important to make the distinction, a lot of things that would make you better in "science literacy" doesn't necessarily have to be learnt in your geography, physics or chemistry classess.

And besides PISA not only test those three areas, there was is also an optional financial literacy test and another "innovative domain" that changes every cycle, for example it was analytical problem solving in 2003, creative problem solving in 2012 and will be global competency in 2018.

It's the autistic PISA spammer.

>Less developed countries shouldn't even be included in such a comparison
Why not? In the end we are testing a very specific thing
>students who were aged between 15 years and 3 (complete) months and 16 years and 2 (complete) months at the beginning of the assessment period, plus or minus a 1-month allowable variation, and who were enrolled in an educational institution with grade 7 or higher, regardless of the grade level or type of institution in which they were enrolled, and regardless of whether they were in full-time or part-time education.
If we can compare child mortality or GDP per capita between countries I don't see why we cannot compare education outcomes if we can, and besides the data has show that "the world is no longer divided between rich and well-educated nations and poor and badly educated ones"

for example 10% of the most disadvantaged students in Viet Nam compare favourably to the average student in the OECD area

although the average performance of Viet Nam can be also explained by the low school enrollment of their 15-year-olds (49% vs 89% in the OECD but that's a story for another time)

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm just here to provide context and more data in order to have a balanced, nuanced and better perspective of what really happens in other parts of the world.

great post my friend.

But think about it, on average Koreans work as much as Costa Ricans or Greeks, yet you never find memes like these about Costa Ricans or Greeks, Korean 15-year-olds study as much as Turks or Montenegrins yet you never hear or read about how those students suffer from enormous stress and pressure, Korean teens have a similar suicide rate than Polish and Canadian teens, yet you never hear or read somebody blaming the Canadian or Polish education system or culture for that.

And that is the context that I'm trying to provide, because much of the debate about East Asian (particulary and recently) education systems have to be seen together with the inseparable economic rise of these nations and the perceived thread they pose to Western countries and their hegemony (just like the international attention to Japan and the Japanese education system in the 1980's), East Asia education and economic success has been constructed as if they are the indicators of these countries' future prosperity, which actually coincides with the equally dramatic narrative of the West's demise.

And that's why a lot of researchers specializing in East Asia (East Asian or not) have challenge those memes by providing context and empirical data, to not have a caricature nor scandalized vision of East Asian societies.

youtube.com/watch?v=_uk6tGUJmCw

>Iceland so high
What did they mean by this?

It's true
t. break taker