Objective discussion about Breaking Bad

I know that Breaking Bad on this board is hated and considered a reddit series, still I pretty much enjoyed the whole thing and wanted to discuss the series without memes. I always considered Breaking Bad at least two tier below The Sopranos (greatest drama ever.),The Wire and Mad Men but there is pretty interesting stuff in the series. The fifth season was bullshit tho, that season was seriously a fedora tipper version of the 4 season before.
Discuss.
>Inb4 reddit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t808e5BMyI8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also to prove my point about the fedora tipping fifth season look at the promotional art for the seasons before and than watch how hard the series is trying for the final season

>Objective discussion
>gives opinion
Classic retard

Seen it mentioned before and it's 100% true, the show fell for it's own 'Walt is a badass' meme and it ruined the show. By S5 they tried to pass him off as some sort of anti-hero instead of a straight up villain and then gave him the laziest redemption in the finale

memes aside it started off pretty well, but cranstons overacting became more and more distracting as the show went on. by the third season he had his head way too far up his own ass

Series should have ended at "I won". I'll say it until my dying day. I like to imagine thats the ending in my head. The entire series up to that point had lead up to that moment. Everything afterwords felt tacked on.

I never finished watching the show because it makes me too nostalgic for Albuquerque.

Series should have ended after Tuco timeline finished. It was kino up until that point. Anyone else agree?

By the end of season 4 is pretty much established that too much has happened between Walt and Jesse, there will be no more wacky shenanigans and they will never be friends again.

Cue the first episode of season 5 where they're best friends again in minutes and back to their wacky shenanigans, this time with magnets, how hilarious.

>Don't forget to buy your official Breaking Bad Los Pollos Hermanos tshirt available now at Target

Breaking Bad is universally loved by everyone on the planet, except for the contrarian faggots at Sup Forums.

Typical.

>art
>objective

>without memes
kek

> the show fell for it's own 'Walt is a badass' meme and it ruined the show
The keyword there is ruined. The seriously spoiled the whole thig with the final season. What breaking bad did best were the slow paced moments and as someone who lived in albuquerque I can say they pretty much nailed the feeling of dryiness and depression of the place. But the series never had the balls to go full kino.

Well that is part of the problem of the series I think actually read . The final season was fan service at his finest it wasn't what the series wanted but what the fans wanted. If the public was more low key probably we would have a better series see

Like others have said. I would've liked to see Walt go full villain, and become the big drug lord and take over everything Gus has done and become a kingpin. Basically having all the previous seasons be like an origin story of a spineless Chem teacher becoming a kingpin

>Basically having all the previous seasons be like an origin story of a spineless Chem teacher becoming a kingpin
Yeah see that's why the series went to shit m8. The series before the last season was about a a spineless Chem teacher with cancer that decided to go full worst instincts mode, it was never about the drugs

The problem isn't that it's a reddit show, the problem is that it's watched in a reddit way. The show didn't fall for the "Walt is a badass", the people who watched it did, partially because of how it was marketed. Look at the way it's talked about online. I binged the show recently, and there's nothing sympathetic or cool about Walt. Every "badass" moment in s5 is intentionally cringy.

There was a thread last night on how to prevent BB jumping the shark in season 5, where people wanted the show to end when Gus had been killed. In other words, they wanted Walt to win. People watch the show wrong. A lot of people treat it in a very shallow, superficial way, as televised wish fulfilment; even those that don't never go beyond the surface, and as such, don't acknowledge the layers of irony and pastiche that distance the audience from Walt and undermine the image he is trying to cultivate.

This isn't entirely their fault. The problem is that when it was first broadcast, nobody knew how it ended, and the week/ year long wait between episodes/ seasons tended to leave only the most iconic moments in people's imagination. People watching week to week -wanted- Walt to win, because they hoped that he -could-, and the people he was up against were, by and large, worse than he was - or at least, less developed.

Rewatching it with no more than a day between episodes, and no break between seasons, it's impossible to invest in Walt's activities. It's much clearer that everything he does, from the start, he does to service his own ego, and it's much easier to join the dots. You can see how he starts to bring violence and darkness and chaos into the family home - the moments all connect, and Skyler, who on an initial watch comes across as over-bearing and nagging and emotionally manipulative, actually becomes a lot more sympathetic.

You can see, knowing where it goes, and how it ends, how this person ended up treating Walt this way - trying to rouse him from his self-pitying stupor, trying to provoke his engagement. You can see, week to week, how he constantly lies and evades her, not because he's trying to protect her from the reality of his work, but because he doesn't want to be told to put away his toys. He's incredibly immature and petulant, and Skyler, throughout the series, is trying to cajole Walt to grow up, to share with her, as a husband would - but Walt resents any implication of his own vulnerability, and refuses to surrender any control or initiative to anyone or anything else.

>I know that Breaking Bad on this board is hated and considered a reddit series
???

The second part of season 5 had some great moment despite the nazi bad guy shit. Like Jesse finally snapping and attacking Saul and almost burning down Walt's House and the entirety of Ozymandias.

"Critique" is such a boring hobby.

Newfags like to hate on breaking bad to look cool

Thankfully BCS went full kino by ripping off Kaurismäki and other old European auteurs

>breaking bad
>art

Where do you think we are?

>men should open up when women probe them, it's not a shit test, it's healthy communication in a relationship

> Enjoy Breaking Bad immensely all the way through every season
> Enjoy it so much I recommend it to my elderly parents
> Buy them the first season on DVD
> Put the disc in and start episode one with everyone gathered round
> Skyler giving Walt a hand job while reading a book in bed

I agree with you except when you said that is not the show's fault. Just look at the final episodes and re-read what you wrote. You see how out of contest it all is? (Except Ozymandias that episode should have been a the finale)

The real Kino part of breaking bad is everything that is in between action. The afthermath of tuco arc so episode 2.03 to 2.06 than the afthermath of the gus affair and jane 2.12 to 3.05

Also, season ranking?
2=4>3>5B>1>5A

How is that trying hard? It's pretty much showing a contrast between where he is now compared to where he used to be.

Really that is just promotion, and no point in the show did they try to play him up as some badass anti-hero everyone aspires to be.
Clearly a lot of people watched the show for the power fantasy, but the makers were pretty clear about not focusing on this too much.

Even at his height as LE xXxHeisenbergxXx there were scenes of him running around in his apartment butt-naked and crying to his wife and son.

He was supposed to be hated, not to be admired.
The marketing for it was just intelligent, not "fedora-tipping".

youtube.com/watch?v=t808e5BMyI8
>The show didn't fall for le "Walt is a badass" meme

Did you quote the wrong person? I'm talking about a poster not trying hard.

What about the OP was "objective"? Do you even know what that word means?

The same thing happened with Hannibal. They pandered to their audience (Tumblr instead of reddit in this case) and basically veered into American Horror Story terrain before mercifully ending.

You should watch The Shield. It's the second best series of all time after Sopranos, and also set the template in a lot of ways for Breaking Bad.

Yes it is definitely the most clever show. The amount of twists that happen that you cant really refute make it titillating. Some of it has some overly convenient connections like the plane crash and the OD daughter and regenerative detective but all in all very entertaining.

yes, I was referring to

Finished The Shield 2 weeks ago.
>The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men
>God Tier
>The Shield
>jesus tier

seriously, breaking bad can suck the shield cock

Every person I meet who openly likes the shield has an inferiority complex. Shit acting too.

>I'm not reddit, I swear, I put this show below Sup Forums approved ones.

>The Wire is Sup Forums approved
>Sup Forums approved means something
This board is worse than Sup Forums I don't give a fuck of what is approved and not. That said go to reddit and find a single person who thinks that the fifth season is not the greatest season of television.
Also

>The Sopranos
>greatest drama ever
Literally the most overrated series of all time

Stupid feminists always telling me that cooking meth is bad.

Every awful thing about Skyler is minor compared to Walt's sins.

This thread is awful.

dumb "strong" woman ruins everything: the show

jessie is the world's biggest retard and walt should have shot him in the face

My mom quit watching at that point. Pretty fucking retarded since she watches Dexter.