Mad Men

what does Sup Forums think of mad men? I just finished rewatching it and it's gotta be one of my favorite shows.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rLLL9DKpUa4
youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2pVuXHjlg
adweek.com/creativity/50-years-later-heinz-approves-don-drapers-pass-the-heinz-ads-and-is-actually-running-them/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's the medium's greatest achievement, figuratively our Great American Novel. Weiner's vision, tightly controlled and executed by him, is completely unique. No other show runner/creator/head writer wrote as many episodes, ensuring a consistent story, or had as much input on every aspect of production. The writing is absolutely masterful, with each episode containing vast thematic meaning. The characterization is so fully realized, the acting as well. Production is first class, research/accuract, period design and costuming.

It's a stunning achievement.

pretentious hipster garbage

What he said. It's a great show.

Stopped watching after the first ep. Might start watching again now, but I wasn't engaged at all by the terrible writing Spanish cable drama tv bullshit. I love the 50's btw.

disgusting MGTOW reddit shit

how many episodes u seen bud?

i made it up to season 3

I can see that. The first episode might be a little weak. If you can, stick it out. I think you'll enjoy it, but hey what do I know.

my thoughts exactly. I'm sure it won't be long before I come back for a third viewing.

>I love the 50's btw.

This show takes place in the 60s.

excuse me for assuming. what didn't you like about it?

I don't see this at all, care to explain?

I loved it, just finished watching it a few days ago. I can hardly believe Hamm only won a single Emmy.

I liked how at first you think you'll hate this character's guts but then you end up sympathizing with him, somehow. When he began to outright stand up to Betty's bullshit I changed my mind. Based Henry

>Hello Don.
>Hello Henry.

Cracked me up every time. Henry's line delivery, so fittingly cold.

The men wear hats, what's not to get kiddo?

Oh, fuck me. Well, I did only watch one episode. 60's are great as well, when women weren't whiny college cunts.

the characters are so well developed. I love how Don is so powerful at first but by the end he totally collapses.

I forgot that fashion changes over time and the 50's and 60's were periods in American history where people wore hats (but were still flawed) sorry bout that. please tell me more about you deep and careful criticism of the show

I got about 8 episodes in and dropped it. I didn't like any of the characters

>What are the events in life? It’s like you see a door. The first time you come to it, you say, Oh, what’s on the other side of the door? Then you open a few doors. Then you say, I think I want to go over that bridge this time, I’m tired of doors. Finally you go through one of these things, and you come out the other side, and you realize, that’s all there are, doors, and windows and bridges and gates and they all open the same way and they all close behind you. Look, life is supposed to be a path, and you go along and these things happen to you, and they’re supposed to change you, change your direction. But turns out that’s not true. Turns out the experiences are nothing, they’re just some pennies you pick up off the floor, you stick in your pocket, and you’re just going in a straight line to you know where.

superb acting. they deserve more Emmy's for sure

i get that, it isn't for everyone. who was your least favorite? im curious

We can call this show an acquired taste, we don't have to defend it, or sell it to people that didnt get it, like lesser shows. Let them be.

The girl, Peggy? She was meek and sad and I don't like sympathy characters

10/10

>You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.

fuck me it's time for a rewatch.

I get that. Don't want to spoil anything, but her character does change a lot. for that matter, they all do.

praise matt weiner.
it sure is.

this fucking scene.

>I know cooler heads should prevail, but am I the only one who wants to see this?

She's insufferable at first, I agree, but you'd be surprised to see how far she goes in later seasons.

the music at the end of each episode always perfectly matches the story. one of my favorite parts of the show.

that scene when they're on speed is one of my favorites. proves they can write comedy as well as drama.
when he chases kenny around, oh my god

youtube.com/watch?v=rLLL9DKpUa4

Music in this show is perfection

overrated shit

white privilege the show

the psychedelic aspect of the show always gets me, and the music is a huge part of that.
I agree completely.

>birdie...

Fuck this shit sideways. Some scenes always hit too hard.

Yeah I love the later seasons in the middle of the psychedelic revolution.

Even Roger tried LSD and grew a funky 70's moustache, but Don was always an immovable grey block in a changing sea of colour.

Fucking this.

Where the fuck are the black people and how come they aren't the ones in charge of the agency?

FUCK. THIS. SHOW.

the last episode...shit...
we sang the song in the ad at the end in my elementary school chorus. that nostalgia mixed with the emotions from the show was too much.

>Don was always an immovable grey block in a changing sea of colour.

Not exactly. His personal style was, mostly. Though it changed a bit w/ his blue shirt. But he was down w the sea change before others in some ways, as he was chilling w/ Midge's beat crew, taking in poetry and folk music. Hanging out w/ free loving swingers, smoking the weed, etc. Don, as a construct, you'r probably right, but his inner Dick embraced the changing times.

Well, if you don't consider when he gets the injection and goes absolutely nuts.

>youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2pVuXHjlg

One of the funniest scenes I've ever seen.

>we sang the song in the ad at the end in my elementary school chorus

American Education brought to you by Coca Cola™

the social and cultural changes of the 60's are depicted. it's unfortunate but it's a reflection of the times. same with women, the show starts off horribly offensive and then shifts with the time period, women get executive positions, ACLU is mentioned.

I KNOW YOURE ALL FEELING THE DARKNESS HERE TODAY.
gold

i agree. the LSD scene is so funny, and the aftermath is beautifully written.

Such a satisfying scene.

haha, not exactly. we sang the original version. although we were shown the Coke ad...

The Coke ad was the original version, I'm assuming you mean The New Seeker's cover

Press F

I must be, my mistake

great scene

>Might lose his foot...
>right when he got in the door

very true. I am curious, however, to know why people don't like it.

In addition to being one of the greatest shows ever made, it's also a meme goldmine.

lots of quotable lines for sure

>Peggys burger chef pitch
Yep it's time for a rewatch.

Heinz is running Don's ad now.
"Pass the Heinz"

adweek.com/creativity/50-years-later-heinz-approves-don-drapers-pass-the-heinz-ads-and-is-actually-running-them/

this is so cool. one got a billboard.
also very good PR for Heinz

Don's ad was always better than Peggy's but I guess clients only want ads that have their brand name plastered all over it rather than something subtle.

its one of the greatest stories ever told
im currently in a digestive period
gunna start up again soon

THE KING ORDERED IT

PIZZA HOUSE

understandable. enjoy it, man

Just got to Chinese Wall last night, w/ commentary from Faye/Cara and Megan/Jessica, really interesting insight as it's the episode Don makes the switch. Felt really bad for Faye, not only did Don get her to fall in love w/ him, but also to compromise her ethics in feeding him the clients who were possibly leaving the firm. Was impressed by Pare's intelligence too, seems pretty bright.

enjoy it. I gotta listen to the commentaries

I really do love the show. I want to watch it again and I just quite recently ended my third rewatch. Probably should wait for a little while and watch twin peaks or something

that's a show I have to watch. aren't they remaking it?

Only show to make smoking look cool.

not that user, but its getting a 3rd season 25 years later, in many ways mad men is a spiritual successor as it often adopts a lynchian tone w/ some surrealism.

White people, duh.

Top 5 all-time show. Hard for me to put The Sopranos or The Wire or Deadwood behind it but otherwise nothing else has ever been made quite like it.

I love that it depicts these people's lives without huge dramatic set pieces or plotlines. It's about their interactions with one another and the beliefs, mentality and emotions of each character. The mental state of the main characters is so thoroughly explored that I doubt any other show has ever delved into the psyche of its characters quite so adeptly.

that's very interesting...I'll give it a watch

totally agree. top 5 for me too

Mad Men is on my Mount Rushmore of tv dramas (with Deadwood, Sopranos and The Wire)

Never mind weak seasons, they barely had a weak episode. Can't understand people who call it boring. Once you get to know the characters you should be hooked

I agree with that. The 60's were absolutely not a good time for everyone. the show portrays that in a realistic way, though. only good part is that towards the end it begins to shift, but there are some scenes that are so offensive that they're hard to watch.

>I can hardly believe Hamm only won a single Emmy.

Agreed. Shameful. See also: The two leads of The Americans. A similarly "slower," character based series.

Jared Lane Pryce Harris (before Hamm's win):
> A lot of attention has rightly been given to Matt and the writing of the show, but “Mad Men” isn’t “Mad Men” without (Hamm) and Elisabeth (Moss). Matt has written toward their performances and made them collaborators. I don’t think people quite appreciate the nuance and depth of the performances that they’ve given. If his character had held a gun and shot someone I have the feeling (Hamm would) have an armful of awards.

it's very character driven, which is what makes it so fantastic. Mt. Rushmore is a great way of describing it

that's very true. this show accomplished greatness without showing swordfights or dragons (not putting down those shows that do)

Damn

It's America's Hamlet but on TV

Just watched this. Jesus Christ, what a fucking pitch.

Now you watch the Sopranos and after that it's all downhill

This movie is so fucking good. But man is it a feels trip from beginning to end

Name a better mentor-protegee relationship.

You can't.

>Draper is a gary stu with an overcooked back story who faces no real challenges or character flaws besides "dude he drinks and fucks too much Lmao" until literally the final season
>no consistent overall narrative or "point" to any of it, even the side arcs just arbitrarily stop or start based on what I can only assume is actor availability
>incredibly tone deaf at times, one episode might ignore a previous episodes character developments seemingly at random, brooding silences with camera zooming out too often used as placeholders for actual character study

Overall, it wasn't terrible, and I did like the first and last seasons, but I never felt like the show went anywhere, and had serious trouble deciding what it wanted to be

one of the GOAT, next to season 1 True Detective, early Simpsons, Seinfeld, and MAYBE early GOT among others

I'm still deciding whether I think Taboo is at this caliber yet