Tfw Abbott is death process

>tfw Abbott is death process

>tfw you're not death process yet

I don't understand why they initially depicted them the way they were in the short story, only for the end reveal that they're actually big squids.

It didn't really add anything.

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

I think it's perfectly possible to enjoy all of those films without pretending that they were intellectually challenging.

I got the "twist" when the girls father was mentioned in relation to science. Obviously that was Renner, and obviously that means this is not actually a flashback. Still a fully enjoyable movie.

A lot of times I've seen Sup Forums call this movie out for making people feel much smarter than they are, and like most here (I would assume) every major twist I saw coming after the first or second clue especially the daughter shit being the future - there was fucking zero mention of her ex or daughter in the rest of the movie, and she happens to be with another guy who likes her surrounded by nameless scientists alone, come on

But I just wanted to say that I had a lot of fun watching the Martian, a movie I don't feel tried to make its audience feel smarter than they are, and I was bored for most of Interstellar, as I've seen the whole '2 different people travel through time at different speeds and one ends up way older than they should be' in a few other mediums (books and videogames), and again I don't feel as if Interstellar tried to make its audiences feel smarter than they actually are.

Also I still enjoyed it, as I grew up bilingual and am learning a third language which is very different to my main 2, and it is very true that you become more liberated and in a sense powerful when you give words to concepts, such that a speaker of a language for example that knows only 'square' would for example be more able to accurately describe shapes if they learned a new language that also had the words 'diamond' and 'rhombus'

I'd highly recommend youtubing some videos on chinese grammar to see how some old, seemingly backwards as fuck, yet somehow still civilized language works, and also videos on native zulu, before europeans added to the language, to see just how far off it is to the rest of the world, an incredibly poor language that has no concept of concepts, the imaginary, the future, conditionals, or even gratitude. It really makes you appreciate your own language.
So yea I enjoyed the movie's twist about learning the ayylium language giving the learner sight of the future, but it held the audience's hands too much.

>recent
This is what they do in literally everything. It's why supposedly smart characters are so fucking stupid and plot twists are cliche shit that have been done a million times.
Those things have been pretty much ingrained in the social psyche at this point and it allows people who make television and movies to sell to everyone as those who are new to it will be surprised and those who are familiar will pat themselves on the back for having "figured it out" beforehand.

I have already seen this thread before.....am I too seeing time in a non-linear fashion?

>but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people."

So what this movie posits is that even if you know the future you can't actually do anything to change it because it already happened? I don't think humans could live like that ever.

So was the idea that simply by learning their language she was able to perceive time differently? Or did the Heptapods do something else to her?

Will this mean that anyone who learns their language will experience the same thing?

No that's what the book deals with.
The movie changed it to "love conquers all".

>If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking abou
The pacing of the hints and reveal was indeed quite a bit too slow and obvious, but other than that it was still a decent movie. There was a scene where her daughter asked a question the answer to which was "non-zero sum game". She was shown trying to come up with it, and then the archer dude from Avengers mentioned it in the present - after which she is shown answering her daughter.

I figured this was supposed to be the big reveal, confirming the setup, but the movie dragged it out for at least half an hour more.

Isn't that Interstellar

No, I think it deals with future that will happen, unless you decide to change it.

That was her future and she could choose to stop it, but she didn't because I guess she still wanted to be with the daughter.

It's both. That's part of the cancer that is templated movie making.

Did you even see it?

Is the book worth reading you fucking tripfag?

Yes and it was ass.
The guy who adapted it clearly misunderstood the premise of the original story (or deliberately chose to ignore it) and changed it to be about how brave she was for choosing the have the daughter who would die of cancer etc, etc Mother's love.
Except it makes no sense even with the facts laid out in the movie.
It had good production value and some interesting aspects (largely due to the source material) but overall it ended up quite disappointing.
Depends on your tastes I guess. At least it follows the rules of its own premise unlike the movie.

Could you briefly tell us what you mean by it's not 'love conquers all,' and how humans can't live with seeing the future?

Kinda interested, and i read a few 'movie vs book' differences on a few websites, but my book backlog is long enough and eh, don't think I'll read it

They did not change the premise, Ted Chang, the writer of the book, was on the set and you can watch all of his behind the scenes interview in the Arrival extras on youtube. The ayylmaos and the science in it are just plot devices for the actual narrative.

He approves it all. In fact, he said multiple times that he would be dissapointed if this was made into just another first contact sci fi because the book isn't about that and was happy when the producers shown him Incendies from Villeneuve instead of some cold sci fi director because he would deny it alltogether.

Look it all up on youtube, I'm lazy.

>Guy who stands to profit from the movie promotes it
ah yes.
the fact of the matter is that the movie is drastically different from the book in some very key aspects. a deterministic universe being one of them.

>Anyone who likes this movie isn't actually smart
And from the opposide
>Anyone who doesn't like this this movie was too dumb to get it

Kill yourself. Can't you enjoy films regardless of how intelligent you are? It's like saying that really intelligent people can't enjoy any film because the people who made it are less intelligent. I don't want to live with people like you on this planet.

Fuck this thread, why do I even do this
I don't enjoy life anymore and I don't see why anyone would, even to the point of constantly comparing themselves to others and trying to patch up their insecurities. How can you live so blindly

>all these retards responding to pasta like it's a legitimate post

This board really IS the dumbest board on the site.

The highest form of communication is that of copypastas, a "language" if you will. They say that learning a new language re-wires your brain, alters the way one thinks. Here we can watch the memetics as a full spectrum, from genesis to death process.

Intellectual blockbuster

I don't know which is worse. Either the movie is suggesting that experiencing your whole life at once with no pathos to drive you to feel emotions and truly experience human existence and instead being an eldritch horror is a positive, 'enlightened' thing, or the mother is having her daughter for entirely selfish reasons and doesn't care about the pain and suffering the poor girl's going to be put through. Pretty fucked up either way.

underrated post if this itself isn't pasta.

I was honestly expecting the reveal to be that it was a pair of hands from a big fuckoff creature

how come native english speakers speaking mandarin sounds so much nicer than native mandarin speakers
I really like the way it sounds from an american or brit but from an asian it's fucking hellish