Fury From the Deep Edition

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chakoteya.net/DoctorWho/27-11.htm
twitter.com/MineCartMayhem/status/846795816782172160
mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-star-peter-capaldi-9732513
youtube.com/watch?v=aNtqStG6dL0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What would you guys think of a mini series by the BBC about say Capaldi as a detective and a male actor as another detective teamed with Capaldi to investigate a bunch of strange murders. For most of the mini-series it's all very realistic but in the last episode the twist is both detectives are the Master and Doctor respectively given false memories of human lives and families, and made to become human via the chameleon arch by the Time Lords to track down this dangerous Time Lord, the reason they are made human would because this Time Lord can sense other Time Lords (as can all Time Lords) and bails the moment he senses their presence. Thus they are made human for the Time being. The Master's human self would ironically be the ''good cop'' in the series (due to false memories), while Capaldi would be the rougher more morally flexible cliche cop. It's a messy idea, but one I think would be great if done right, plus it's only a mini-series. Doesn't even have to be Capaldi can be any past Doctor but not the current one, also the Master in this mini-series would be a once off Master as to not make it obvious it's Doctor Who...

Help me out /who/. I've got a quote in my head that I think comes from Doctor Who. It goes something like this:

Bad Guy: I wasn't as bad as I could've been.

Good Guy: Because you spared a few? Because she had a little child or she had a pretty smile? And you call yourself merciful.

Bad Guy: You'd only know that if you were a killer.

I also think the Bad Guy was a woman. Now that I type it out it might've been when the Doctor captured captured the Siltheen in Nine's season.

Ringing any bells?

You think the BBC has a hard time advertising and marketing Doctor Who, imagine how much worse it would be if they couldn't even call it Doctor Who.

Pessimistically that's what I'm expecting too, but if she actually has an interesting relationship with the Doctor (which is properly explored and leads somewhere, not just her going 'Is he a good man?!?!' every episode) then that might be enough to make her not *purely* a generic, literal cookie-cutter companion.

Thank you

Their crime shows get millions of views, regardless of their shitty advertising. I like the idea.

You're right, it's Boom Town.
chakoteya.net/DoctorWho/27-11.htm

>MARGARET: I promise you I've changed since we last met, Doctor. There was this girl, just today. A young thing, something of a danger. She was getting too close. I felt the blood lust rising, just as the family taught me, I was going to kill her without a thought. And then I stopped. She's alive somewhere right now. She's walking around this city because I can change. I did change. I know I can't prove it
>DOCTOR: I believe you.
>MARGARET: Then you know I'm capable of better.
>DOCTOR: It doesn't mean anything.
>MARGARET: I spared her life.
>DOCTOR: You let one of them go, but that's nothing new. Every now and then, a little victim's spared because she smiled, because he's got freckles, because they begged. And that's how you live with yourself. That's how you slaughter millions. Because once in a while, on a whim, if the wind's in the right direction, you happen to be kind.
>MARGARET: Only a killer would know that. Is that right? From what I've seen, your funny little happy go lucky little life leaves devastation in its wake. Always moving on because you dare not look back. Playing with so many peoples lives, you might as well be a god. And you're right, Doctor. You're absolutely right. Sometimes you let one go. Let me go.

It's the scene from Boom Town in the restaurant.

Thanks.

STOP BULLYING THIS INNOCENT SET REPORTER YOU FUCKING INSIGNIFICANT SPECIMEN

He was dissing set reporters earlier today.

Under the Lake/Before the Flood had a great idea to split the story between two different times, but it squandered it on lame-ass fake-out paradox instead of doing something interesting by following two chains of events at the same time and possibly seeing consequences before causes and so.

Reminder

>Clara will never squat for a sneaky slash in the corner of your attic while you sleep

what the fuck is wrong with you

The whole point of the story was explaining how a bootstrap paradox can occur if you can time travel.

Yeah...I know bootstrap paradoxes have been used in DW before (most notably in series 1, the whole Bad Wolf arc), but sometimes it's kinda nice to see it simplified and explained fully.

>mfw

God only knows.

Bootstrap paradox is pretty vanilla and I hated how it was used to justify cheap fake-outs, since the explaination to the cliffhanger weirdness eventually amounts to "they happened because they happened". It's not actually smart.

Is this image fucking shopped? What's going on with his bow legs? Why the hell is he holding that sign?

God knows I want to breaaaak freeeeee.

> looks like a Blue Peter presenter.
You take that back right now.

>It's not actually smart.

Maybe not. But the show has to appeal to all (in the UK at least: family show for ages 6+ up to great great grandparents that have been watching since 1963), and not everyone is necessarily as smart as (you).

You take a family heirloom, any heirloom, say something passed down by your grandfather. You take it back in time and you give it to your grandfather when he was a child, so he can pass it down to you. Where does the heirloom come from, who makes it in the first place, insoluble conundrum, yaddah yaddah yaddah, God in Heaven even pointing out that it's tedious is tedious. (Metacliché: something so drab that it can't even be safely deconstructed any more).

the pilot
smile
thin ice
knock knock
oxygen
extremis
the truth
the lie
earth attacks
eaters of light
goodbye, planet earth
the humans

tomorrow.

Agreed. I mean, it was heavily foreshadowed in the first episode (I think? Never watching them again lol, although I remember liking the first one) but it's been done a billion times now and it just seems like a really contemptuous way of resolving problems that the writer presents as though they're a big deal to create tension and suspense. Problem is it's been hand-waved so often with "le timey wimey xD" that it's pretty much devalued the two-part story as a whole, when you can lulz your way out of every cliffhanger by going "time travel something something paradox!" - the cliffhangers themselves just become tiresome, and the show as a whole starts to bleed tension.

If Doctor Who is missing one thing since the revival, it's consistency. It's particularly a problem under Moffat, but RTD started it with the reset button finales - no race, species or creation develops or evolves because if they do change, the change is forgotten the next time they show up.

One episode the Daleks have a parliament and an asylum for sick daleks, the next they're back to having an Empire and all dying daleks get thrown into a sewer - but wait, I thought they considered "hatred" too beautiful to be destroyed or allowed to die? One minute they hate other species to the extent that being genetically impure drives them insane, the next they're turning humans into daleks. The Cybermen used to convert people manually, now it's nanobots lol, and also the Daleks have nanobots, and also - wait, if they have nanobots that can re-write genetics on a whim, can't they just nanobomb every planet in existence to mass convert reality? And if they can, why don't they?

Moffat's like the Nintendo of Doctor Who, introducing unnecessary gimmicks in the name of "innovation" and then by the next iteration he has some new shiny novelty to spin to the audience, all of which tend to be shallow, superficial, low-risk, and ultimately pointless.

>Clara will never ask you to lick her sweaty gym socks clean

Still try to imagine the path that toy soldier traveled before ending up in Rupert Pink's toy box.

why would you want to lick her socks and not her feet? i don't understand, i couldn't get off to licking a bra

i think he bought it from a shop and then put it there

If you're thinking the Doctor eventually passed it down to him, you need to be eaten by a Reaper

My dick can only handle so much,

What's better /who/? Dark Eyes or Doom Coalition?
FYI I'm on DC3 and it's a lot better than latter DA but overall idk

>tfw no feels

karen thread

Doom Coalition.
It's the best Eight has been since the main range IMO.

I know who the new doctor is. prepare for the biggest divide in fandom ever. and no its not a female. april 8th.

So I created a tinder account last week. matched with this qt who is also obsessed doctor who, messaged her and she hasnt responded

she hasnt been online though. am i going mad?

help me /who/ bros

Tom Baker and the current Master. No one would notice since Baker is so old.

It's Andrew Garfield. The spoilerhounds already have the info

end this meme

Well firstly prepare yourself for the possibility that she might not respond. I'm not sure exactly how tindr works, but I probably wouldn't message her again if you have already.
In the event that she does respond I'd bring up the doctor who thing and just talk about it how you do here, subtracting and fuck offerinos and calling her a pleb for whatever shitty opinion she holds. Mention the premiere date, and invite her over to watch it, make sure your house is clean, like immaculate. Be a good host. Have refreshments and or a small meal available to whip up or have prepared in advance. Visit >>>/ck> if needs be. Be yourself, the best version of you will probably go the farthest. Be flirty but don't try and get in her pants unless she seems dtf. Compliment something about her, something that's not cliche or obvious, id est her eyes (Like cute earings, cool bag etc.)
If she seems a bit sketched out about meeting you for the first time alone in your home, make it a small party, bribe people with free food/drinks if you must and make it clear to them that they'd really be helping you out b pretending to watch dr who for an hour.
Keep the mission to having fun and just meeting someone new, don't over think it and have a good time. Good luck user, godspeed.

>I will never have friends this good irl
Thank you cloister.

That's poppycock user. There's people out there that can be, they just have to be found. There's nothing special about me, cloisters come a dime a dozen. You'll be fine, just be you and I'll always be around if you do need a friend.

Can't really imagine what will be more divisive than a woman desu. An American?

youngest ever

>in the last episode the twist is both detectives are the Master and Doctor respectively given false memories of human lives and families, and made to become human via the chameleon arch by the Time Lords to track down this dangerous Time Lord, the reason they are made human would because this Time Lord can sense other Time Lords (as can all Time Lords) and bails the moment he senses their presence. Thus they are made human for the Time being
This would possibly be the worst episode of television ever filmed.

No-one will really give a shit if he's like 20. It'll just be a muted repeat of the hubbub over Smith at 26.

Kris Marshall?

No. It's actually a decent idea, i'd tweak it a bit personally, but if it was made it would be far from the worst episode of television ever filmed. Christ talk about melodramatic.

Sounds a bit "far beyond the stars" ds9 or "inner-light "(TNG)could work well, i mean the premise made for a great star trek episode

Andrew Buchan?

twitter.com/MineCartMayhem/status/846795816782172160

Yes I was being hyperbolic, but for a 'realistic' mystery series that's been pretending it's not Doctor Who to suddenly have to flip the lid, introduce all the concepts of Doctor Who and Time Lords for the non-fans, and completely swerve back into Doctor Who's version of fantasy, in the space of one episode, would be a clusterfuck of wank the likes of which you'd never seen.

For something like this to exist, it would have to be watchable even if you'd never seen any Doctor Who and never planned to. If it was a slightly more surreal series where it's hinted that the two detectives have something more to them, in a Sapphire and Steel kind of way, you could potentially play the reveal of "they're both ancient immortal beings from a race beyond time" at the end without actually going as far as ever saying 'Time Lords' and still get the payoff for Who fans.

based mini matt leaking

Yes - as if it hasn't been painfully obvious since Capaldi announced his departure. Andrew Buchan and Chibnall are as tight as a knot.

Get betting, April 8th is the date I've heard

trips never lie

Mini Matt is about to get ERASED

mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-star-peter-capaldi-9732513

Reminder the Mirror have been right about everything for years:

>But show insiders say incoming boss Chris Chibnall is eyeing Andrew Buchan as the 13th Time Lord, having worked with him over the past five years.

Happening!

I feel pretty confident that it will be Buchan. It's just the Gallifrey Base autists that think otherwise.

Buchans' the ideal age for 13 at 38. He's at the perfect place in his career as well.

Him and Chibnall clearly have a good, steady working relationship which god knows Chibnall will want for his first series.

>These digits
>All on posts about Andrew Buchan being 13

dare I say...happening?

>444
>They don't film a regeneration scene
>Buchan is actually the 444th Doctor
>Chibnall fills in all the gaps and even brings back the classic Doctors with CGI during his finale in three years
>Based Chibby got us all

A lot of the 'normal' casting predictions seem to have the problem that they won't feel fresh or create a buzz. Regardless of how generally-agreed-to-be-talented the actor might be, to keep everyone's interest they have to immediately bring some sort of different aesthetic and feel to people's perception of the show, one that seems fresh. Part of it is the brand identity that they convey as a person.
Eccles, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi, each of them brought a fresh one in some form. But the predictions that are "here's this semi-known dude who was in a few shows, he's quite good I suppose", they feel a bit like repeats of one of those four. The revival is old enough now that it has to push further if it's going to keep feeling new, and it's also not old enough that it can just redo something it's done before with moderate changes. What I'm trying to say is I don't give two shits about Andrew Buchan.

>What I'm trying to say is I don't give two shits about Andrew Buchan

You mean the 13th Doctor?

The solution is to bypass the acting world entirely and hire a weird carnival performer known for putting things up his nose

It's not just the "normal" predictions; even half the "buzz" predictions have nothing exciting except for being a woman (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) or black (David Harewood) or Irish or young.

Sure, Phoebe would provide some buzz being the first female Doctor, and she's a perfectly good actress, but I don't see her bringing something new and different to the role in the same way as Tilda Swinton, Olivia Colman, or Hayley Atwell could. Why waste the first female Doctor on her?

>putting things up his nose
But we just had Matt Smith as the doctor.

Did you read that new thing by Phil Sandifer where he says that the idea that the autistic can't feel empathy is used to justify the belief that they're not human?
I'm starting to come around to that line of thinking.

I'm thinking about this more from a marketing perspective in the moment of the announcement. You could cast the most boring woman on the planet and there would still be a shitstorm because she was the first woman. Obviously this would be a problem when everyone realised she was boring, but the momentum from the casting announcement would exist. Similar (although less so) goes for non-white men. You'd have a lock on at least some measure of public investment in where the show will be headed for the next few years, purely by virtue of having concretely altered the semiotics of Doctorhood in a way that hasn't been tried before.

If you don't have that advantage, you have to compensate for it. E.g. Capaldi's run may have had less than great ratings, but they basically got away with his casting once they announced it, because even just in his eyes he brought both a striking new visual approach to the Doctor and echoes of an iconic (and cheekily incompatible) pre-existing TV character in Malcolm. It felt different, like it had potential, people were interested to see where it would go. They got properly hyped when his eyebrows cameoed in the 50th.

But now we've had Capaldi, it has to be varied up yet again. Mainly I'm concerned that any choice that lacks its own 'wow factor' is going to sap public enthusiasm, even if the show turns out perfectly fine down the road.

The Twin Dilemma

Photoshoot from 15 February 2017

Can we talk about the giant sea monster episode? Looks pretty based. Can someone explain to an American how big the Thames is?

>autistic can't feel empathy is used to justify the belief that they're not human

It's not miles across like the Mississippi, but it's pretty decent size.

It ranges from 60 feet near the base to almost 1000 feet in east London to half a mile in Gravesend.

It's about Miami to Disney World in length

Can someone explain me why this Mini Matt Smith guy has inside information?

Matt Whelan locked him in his basement and removed several of his toes in an attempt to pry information out of him. Mini Matt never gave in, and when he was rescued the DW production team gave him VIP treatment and a personalized tour of the set.

He's small and has pretty bad autism so the staff are nice to him

Seriously why the fuck would anyone hire an actor that makes that high pitch whistling noise when ever the pronounce the letter "s"? It is so distracting and loud.
Pic is the old cunt in Planet of Giants.

It's Pierce Brosnan

Doctor Who?

I always knew he'd be back for revenge after that episode of Remington Steele where Tom Baker stole his dog

I still think there ought to be a short, unassuming Doctor again a la Troughton or McCoy.

I never really noticed.

I think he was being pro-autism though. Not sure if that applies here.

Time for Kinnear

Doesn't she look tired?

It's "don't you think," pleb

ANTI-PLASTIC

/who/ is the only Sup Forums board i ever go on
i just left and went to browse random Sup Forums threads
never forget how good you have it on /who/

by any chance do you spend the rest of your internet time on reddit or tumblr

>he watches doctor who
>he think he has the right to call others plebs
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I've a horrible feeling if this is the case they're just going to do a weaker version of the RTD years

There's sometimes a nice thread about other shows/films too, like the Hopkins vs. Mikkelsen Hannibal Lecter one from yesterday

Sounds shit if true.
Literally no reason to get excited for the next era.

I just get the feeling Chibnall doesn't have the courage or conviction to present his own take on the show, and if I'm honest, I'm not sure if he even has the vision for his "own take." He seems like such a strange pick to me, he's only proven himself with Broadchurch - which, to be fair to him, I hear great things about, but at the same time it looks like a very safe, conventional show that isn't doing anything new even if it's doing everything well.

I get the impression that he's going to play it just as safe as showrunner, and try to bring the show back in line with RTD's vision, which got the biggest numbers in terms of audience share, and the most hype. If there IS any kind of pressure from the BBC, then it's something I feel like he'll happily cave to, and we're going to get demographic-based television.

It's all baseless conjecture though, I'm going on nothing but rumours and instinct, and if I'm honest, I think I'd prefer RTD-lite to Moffat Who anyway, which lost the heart and the wonder.

DAS IST GARETH
youtube.com/watch?v=aNtqStG6dL0

>page 9
Not in my watch!