Mexicans, tell me about Day of the Dead

I thought you dudes were supposed to be Christian, what's with the zombie theme?

Parades look sick tho I admit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kG6vC1vlWzo
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Catholics
>real Christians

aren't they the 'original' christians among protestants and eastern orthodoxs?

It's a cool Aztec celebration that got cucked by Spics and got Westnize'd

>dude let me divorce my wife lmao
Anglicans are Catholics in all but name

Orthodox believe themselves to be and have traditions more in line with those of the early Imperial church.

they're openly gay though, at least here. I've genuinely never met a straight Episcopalian minister

Catholic Priests are all closeted gay men

Protestcucks base their "religion" on muh feelings

Catholics worship the Pope and the virgin Mary, sometimes even holding them on the same level of significance as to God/Jesus. This breaks the most important commandment.

"Thou shall have no other gods before me" or someshit

Their whole church is based just to impress people and create revenue, its far from the traditions of Early Christianity.

Syncretism is what I could call Mexicanr religion
It is full of european catholicism and pre-hispanic traditions
The white zombie is Called Catrina and it represents death, the destiny of every living organism.
Although I am not such a fan of pre-hispanic cultures, I love Dia de muertos, it is like a little christmas, a lot of food they don't cook the rest of the year, amazing candies, besides Dia de Muertos aesthetics are tight

That is not real Dead of Day Celebration fucking pendejo

but we worship the queen, you bogan cunt, and she is above god

this.
i think the mexico city government actually decided to make it a yearly thing, no?
kys

The real tradition is mostly about putting together an altar for your deceased loved ones. It's usually just a table with lots of flowers and food and other things the deceased used to love. These are prepared about a week before the actual day of the dead. People go visit their friends houses to have a look at the altars and reminisce about those who are gone. The spirit is a mix of sadness (obviously) but also cheerful because it is the time of the year you feel closer to them by remembering and talking to people they knew.

Fast forward to the 2000s and chicanos and americans have made brought it closer to Halloween. Then the dumbass Mexico City mayor makes a lame parade because he thought it looked cool in Spectre. Fuck that guy

>Fast forward to the 2000s and chicanos and americans have made brought it closer to Halloween.
Yeah, Mexicans in Mexico are obviously helpless little retards with no agency.

>Catholics worship the Pope
>The real tradition is mostly about putting together an altar for your deceased loved ones

If any white fucks try to celebrate it near me I'm gonna REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They're real, culture evolves, it's called keeping it alive, I personally love the catrina costumes, I'm definiyively nailing a girl in makeup this year even if it means hiring a stripper

The old culture is still alive and well for the people who actually believe in it
youtube.com/watch?v=kG6vC1vlWzo

>I'm definiyively nailing a girl in makeup this year even if it means hiring a stripper
I think you should kill yourself, you sick fuck.

Are you retarded or something?

You think there'sn something wrong with cosplay?

It didn't get cucked, much the same as Mexicans are half Spanish/half Amerindian so is our culture and celebrations.

>i'm not a rapebaby!!!11!! ;-;

I find the idea of the holiday being reduced to your base actions highly distressing.

andás muy enojado papu
te puede hacer mal, calmate

I know for a fact personally I'm not but you go ahead and treat your own personal ancestry/heritage anyway you want

Why? That's SJW tier idiocy, people are going to wear costumes anyway, why not have fun like that? I've nailed a girl dressed like a nun before on halloween and my ex did agree to wear a Santa hat with red plaid skirt she had, it's some of the holidays I remember the most fondly.

>SJW tier idiocy
muh sjw boogeyman

Thanks for helping turning the Day of the Dead into yet another commercial holiday, then, faggot. Kys.

Reminder that Dia de los Muertos wasn't celebrated in the North until the government decided to go full We Wuzz and made everyone celebrate it

What do you think Mexicans from 1 or 2 centuries ago would think about the fucking papel picado, skull candies or fucking "dead bread"? What about the fucking Catrina? When was the last time you spend the night in the cemetery?

Culture has always, and will continue to evolve no matter what; and all the butthurt idiots that have existed in history because nothing ever stays the same have suck it, just like you.

>it's yet another protestant delusion episode
protestantism is literally judaism + jesus

I was actually being contrarian desu, seeing the holiday turned commercial doesn't affect me at all. I would like it if people stop acting as if it is some big powerful day, though.

I just like the aesthetics of the whole thing desu, cempasúchil flowers smell nice and "dead bread" is GOAT.

protestantism is literally "fuck you italians i'll make my own church" schist shit

same as cinco de mayo right?

Cinco de Mayo is only really celebrated in Puebla, where the battle was fought. No idea why Americans and Chicanos chose to push it.

You have to be reminded of Aztec domination every now and then

maybe chicanos are from Puebla? to be honest desu i have no idea too

go back to mexico or something

It was pushed by American beer companies, they saw a market for a Mexican themed St. Patrick's day

A bastard parade for our tradition its not evolution mate.

I agree with you britbonganon

This britbong knows what's up. It's mostly about altars and eating pan de muerto. Parades and facepainting are fake chicano cancer.

To sell beer

That's a good question if you are interested you can read the next:

Actually there are no official parades for this day in all of Mexico, except in Mexico city because since last year it has become popular due James Bond movie. (Some scenes were shot here). Mexico city government saw this as a potential attraction for tourists and foreigners which tend to overreact and overrepresent mexican culture, in a good way.

Now, the young people, media and other companies tend to plan these ''zombie parades'' due American influence, because it's cool to put shitty makeup on you and cringy costumes and walk like a retard down the street...right?..

Zombies/monsters/ghosts/mummies/witches...etcetera are not related to Day of the dead because the main purpose of this celebration is to honor and remember your dead relatives, friends, historical characters and even pets, it is also a date to be aware of death and life. Halloween has been fused in certain aspects with Day of the dead, mostly in the practice of 'trick or threat'' except there is no threat and it's just kids begging for candies or whatever shit you give them.

The day of the dead is a mexican celebration with components of both; European and Mesoamerican (native) cultures. The Spanish gave the native's concept of remembering the dead, a catholic touch (that's why it's celebrated in November the 1st and 2nd). The spanish added new components and removed the undesirable ones like sacrifice and the cult for ''barbaric'' gods.

>being this much of a samefag

>no human sacrifice
no wonder it's so shit

Not the same fag. I fucked up by saying britbong too though.

You are not met. Indeed its not samefagging but you did not write that

I very much agree with most of what you said but a small correction here, it's "trick or treat" the treat is the candy, a trick is what you get if you don't deliver. In northern Mexico it's "dulce o truco" and that kinda works as a pick up line in adult parties as well if you know what you're doing.

honnestly i never see a catholic say something like you claim , and i go to an traditional church.

what is truco

Trick

This desu, we don't really have a straightforward translation for treat, un gusto would be the closest leaving aside something arcahic like convite, we'd most likely use sorpresa

>like you claim
you mean like i quoted*, right?

what happens at these parties if someone answers truco?

Mexicans aren't real Catholics

Come on gringo, you have those parties as well, either way she's getting a kiss

Fortunately that's the Vatican's call and not yours, remember who holds the keys to heaven Steve Bannon?

Kids begging for money

rape

From what I thought, it seem like a family personal thing more than anything then shit got commercialized like every holiday.