There are towns in Finland where up to 90% of the population speaks swedish as a first language

>There are towns in Finland where up to 90% of the population speaks swedish as a first language
How does it feel to speak a language limited to one (1) country?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrobothnia_(region)
youtube.com/watch?v=Bwxl4N2Vkmk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Those are all very small even by Finnish standards. And what is dialect and what is separate language is always a political question with subjective answer.

And the only such town is Mariehamn on Ahvenanmaa [Åland]. The southern coast is mostly Finnish speaking nowadays. Some rural places still are like 20% swedish speaking. There used to be Swedish speaking majority in some municipalities like Sipoo even as late as 1990s but now the majortiy is Finnish speaking.

On the west coast there still are some municipalities with Swedish speaking majority but even they are bilingual. The last unilingual Swedish speaking municipality in continental Finland was Närpes which has been bilingual since 2016. The last unilingual Swedish speaking municipalities are on the Åland islands and as of now it seems that they will stay Swedish speaking.

Pic related
>White
Unilingual Finnish
>Light blue
Bilingual with Finnish majority
>Medium blue
Bilingual with Swedish majority
>Dark blue
Unilingual Swedish
>Red
Municipalities in which Sami languages have official status

What goes on in the red areas?

Two of the majority swedish towns have a higher population than the town where i live. Vaasa also has a significant swedish speaking population.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrobothnia_(region)

Post some videos of Finland-swedish and i can see if it's like another language

Nope, there are more in ostrobothnia

youtube.com/watch?v=Bwxl4N2Vkmk

Pretty decent. I can speak english so I don't see the problem.

You also have some towns where Finnish a majority language, for example:

Pajala
>78.1% finnish

Övertorneå Municipality

>mostly finnish

wew I understand this almost perfectly compared to swedish spoken in sweden

Haha, joke's on you, Helsinki here och jag ääääälskar svenska språket ayyy

Not a big surprise that a danish speaker understands retarded sounding swedish

It took a bit more concentration to understand than most other dialects. I would definitively not call it another language though

Rude

The dialect they speak on Gotland is much harder to understand though

>Helsinki here
Vad menare han mit det?

They speak an older type of swedish actually.

Bump

Finlandssvenskar låter som om de har inga känslorna när det pratar, de låter som en grupp av robot.

Chances are that every language with more than 100k speakers is spoken in more than one country

Except Japanese, Chinese, Urdu, Korean, and most of the Asian languages such as Filipino, Thai, Vietnamese and so forth.

there isn't much of a difference between Urdu & Hindi. but Urdu specifically is used in parts of both India and Pakistan regardless

there are places where finnish is the majority in your country too

I though that all of Finland was bilingual Anyway, 30% of Finns lives in the light blue area.