Highest grossing movie of all time by a $600,000,000 margin

>highest grossing movie of all time by a $600,000,000 margin
>original property neither a sequel or a reboot or based on a book/comic
>this triggers the starwars and capeshit fags

Avatar is truly the greatest film of the century and shits all over your spacelazers and menintights trash

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PwjfLMa7_3E
the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart)
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1242409/The-Avatar-effect-Movie-goers-feel-depressed-suicidal-able-visit-utopian-alien-planet.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

One of the few honest films of the century

Dances With Wolves

good one, now lets discuss how every superhero movie is literally the exact same thing over and over and over again in different packaging

there are people on this board that doesnt remember abatap.

Baneposting ruined this board.

> capeshit film will NEVER EVER come close to taking avatars spot
> avatar 2 will inevitably fly right to spot #2 while autistic little boys have collective meltdowns

Really tickles my g-spot

what if we hate both you fucking mong?

At this rate avatar 2 and the rest are dying of slow asphyxiation just like half life did over ten years.

you say that now until cameron introduces a glasses-free 3d experience shtick and suddenly avatar 2 is now the number 1 grossing movie of all time

All shitposting aside, how did it happen?

How the fuck did that movie do so well?

its a great flick desu

I mean it's not bad. But what confluence of events led it to destroy every film in history

Domestic: $760,507,625 27.3%
+ Foreign: $2,027,457,462 72.7%

Did very well in the Asia market

Did you watch it in imax 3d? I did. Four times.

The Na'vi and fictional wildlife were worth repeat viewings

> yfw Cameron is truly the king of film
youtu.be/PwjfLMa7_3E

insanely good word of mouth
people going to see it 3/4/5 times each
stereoscopic 3d gimmick

the mocap is pretty dated already, the cgi still looks pretty good but the animation specifically doesnt compare to whats being done in video games today. The Pandora scenes look like an average video game cutscene now.

not saying it wasnt great for its time though. and im curious to see if the sequel raises the bar for cgi, or if its hit a ceiling.

>the mocap is pretty dated already

haha, no

Rogue One > Avatar

It was sold on technology, not filmic merits.

it is, though.

$1,055,121,310

>reeeeeee it was star wars' turn!!!!
>that film is garbage! Its shit!!!
>Rogue One is better reeeeee!!!!!
absolute state of disneylets

Disney merch outsoulds Avatar merch hundredfold

"Cars" also does gangbusters in toy sales to 5 year olds and virgins, try harder

elaborate

Im not saying its bad but it clearly hasnt overcome the uncanny valley phase of mocap that the best video games of the past couple years have started to do. Maybe you should give it a rewatch and you'll see what I'm talking about. I went 6 years without watching it and was pretty surprised by how it didnt hold up to what I remembered it being like. That being said it was definitely the best of the best at the time in 2009.

>the animation specifically doesnt compare to whats being done in video games today. The Pandora scenes look like an average video game cutscene now.
Is this what """gamers""" actually believe?

im not a gamer tbqh

Bringing up this movie is the easiest way to trigger disneyfag starwars shills

Yeah but no one ever talks about it because it's bland and only redeemed by the special effects.

but as soon as you bring it up everyone has something to say about it. even desperately bringing up fucking toy sales

>I am new to Sup Forums

I don't care much for comic shit but this movie is average

Is your favorite video game Tetris you fucking sperg?

:^)

I'm clearly talking about people in general and not just Sup Forums retard

run and find your safe space now little guy

put it up against rogue one and its even more sad

Reminder that soulless, focus tested Disney cash grabs will never ever get reviews like this

What a shit graph, specifically made to trick you. Plot it form 0 to 3 not form 2 to 3

It was hyped too hard because James Cameron and became a meme among normies.

2 Billion* dollar power gap

The sequels will make nowhere near as much money.
Avatar 1 made that much because people were promised a technological revolution, so pretty much everyone in the general moviegoing public was at least curious about it/wanted to see it.

Cameron keeps delaying the sequels hoping for some technological breakthrough to show up that he can lure people with again, but it's clear has nothing or else we would have seen Avatar 2 years ago.

3DTV manufacturers have given up on 3D, and the Avatar sequels won't make them reconsider.

Game over man, game over.

>Baneposting ruined this board
For you

The sequels probably won't make as much in the US (It's still second best selling BR, though, so it IS popular the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart) but other markets (Brazil, Russia, Mexico etc.) have grown. Especially China, it's like 4-5x bigger since 2009 and even then Avatar did great there

>original property neither a sequel or a reboot
It was Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas reboot. Only plebs and children didn't recognize it.

Kid's movie, the Pocahontas rehashed.
District 9 is the grownups version.

>it made lots of money therefore it is good
>it is original therefore it is good

Nobody cares if it's your favorite movie mate but it's not the best movie of the century. It's not even the best movie of 2009. That title is reserved for pic related

are you all fuckers suffering from alzheimer?
you honestly dont remember why this shit was so hype?
it was the 3-d thingy you schmucks
in fact its the only movie that uses 3-d decently
thats why it made bajirrions
as a movie its pretty forgettable, but it looks good and had ''WE FUTURE NOW'' hype that worked

God damn revenge of the fallen was disappointing. Transformers 2007 was absolute actionkino with great music, I loved it when I was 10

Company fanboys getting pissed over BASED JIM is hilarious.

>District 9 is the grownups version.
avatar and district 9 is hardly comparable

this desu

animekino will be the trend starting midyear if not vidyakino or worse, politikino

Are you implying, that Mass Effect did everything better?

Probably some combination of the new 3D fad, there being nothing else to watch, and it having a pretty wide demographic.

Avatar: crippled outsider has opportunity to liase with giant cat people who live in technicolor forest with actual, physical connection to their environment and the creatures in it. Falls foul of authorities on both sides. Ends up with the choice to become one of them and live with the hot princess in a high status position within the tribe.
District 9: Expert technocrat accidentally becomes one of the horrifying cockroach people he liases with. Falls foul of his authorities and befriends one of them. Loses his reputation and spouse and is faced with the fate of remaining transformed, waiting for the return of his roach friend to treat him and restore his human status. He's not a hero or even a warrior yet endures through violence and treachery, trusting the alien with his life.
Become a Chosen One among giant cat people? Or hide out as a Roach Man waiting for years because of your goodness.
District 9 is literature, Avatar is baby food.

>fern gully: dances with smurfs
>original

took long enough for the truth to pop out

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1242409/The-Avatar-effect-Movie-goers-feel-depressed-suicidal-able-visit-utopian-alien-planet.html
>Movie-goers have admitted being plagued by depression and suicidal thoughts at not being able to visit the planet Pandora.
How does Cameron do it?

The Chinese

Had the first great 3D theatre experience on top of being a really satisfying by-the-numbers blockbuster and also there was nothing else worth going to see at the time it was out.

>all these redditors doubting Jim's ability to make a sequel
Cameron made Aliens and T2, I'm not worried about his ability to deliver a sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time.

I remember this
didnt people sudoku because they felt blue over not being blue

I am legit excited for Avatar 2,3 and 4.

2 will be using footage from Cameron's dive into the Mariana Trench and will be set on a moon of Pandora.

They advertised the everloving shit out of the "3D experience" and the CG they used for the Na'vi

I am legitimately excited for the sequels.

The hard-science background for the human technology (ISV Venture Star was designed with real physics in mind) makes me hard and I'll be super disappointed if the sequels only focus on the ayys.

Reading the codex in the game was really cool, too. Gave me a feeling I hadn't felt since reading the codex for the first Mass Effect game.

What? They(the four sequels) will be released in 2019,2021,2023 and 2024. They are all being filmed concurrently with production beginning last month and full shooting for Avatar in August to around November.

Avatar 2 is going up against Star Wars: Episode IX.

Pandora was a moon of the gas giant Polyphemus in the first film though.

It'll probably just be looking at Pandoran aquatic life.

Normies watched it for the 3D retard and not for the quality of cinematography

That's pretty smart. Keep your scifi series on hold until the normie scifi series has had its run so you get all the attention to yourself.

Until disney inevitably shits out more "Star Wars Story" films every year for the rest of eternity.

>District 9 is literature

>durr look at my cool guns
>durr look at my cool mechs

>look at my cool mechs

I wish we got more films with cool mechs. I really hope that Titanfall TV series actually becomes a thing and is decent.