When did Game of Thrones jump the shark?

When did Game of Thrones jump the shark?

when bran made it to the raven

Sansa and Ramsay's wedding was when it really all fell apart. It made no sense for Littlefinger to do it.

season 1 episode 1

When Tywin died. He was the best character and also the most convincing as a ruler.

Season four, since that was the point it was obvious D&D could get away with anything since that fat fuck GRRM hadn't bothered to finish the series

season 4 was pure asos
D&D apparently weren't able to make a single season out of the 2 books after it

Season 1 episode 9, season finale was shit
and it took 3 episodes to get good anyways. so you have a 10/10 6-part miniseries of Ned/King Slanding Mystery Arc (which I watch over and over again desu) and several years of total shit afterwards. I haven't even seen the last season and a half.
is stannis back yet?

anyone who says otherwise hasn't read the books

s5 when it deviated from the book

I say this as someone who came on board late. I watched all the seasons up to 6 in the space of a few months. I had never seen it before.

There was a noticeable change in pacing and direction around season 5. I had already heard it deviated from the book in s5, but even if I hadn't been told, it was still blatantly obvious something was up. The show has felt very contrived and rushed since then imo.

s1 was a pretty good adaptation though (2-4 were still mostly ok too)
casting could've been better but idk what was so bad about the show at that point

Death of Young Wolf, the True King in the Ass

they were adapting much less material in s1 so it's less obvious but they changed character motivations around for no reason. For example Ned wanting to go be kings hand and cat not wanting him to

S1 - S4 = GOAT

S5 = Boring, bad choices because no book for reference. Dorne adventures & Selmy dying to some sand niggers.

S6 = Good, but each episode felt like a mini movie instead of a continuous series.

>no book for reference
not true also your opinion is shit

>the glass eye guy from last action hero

thats what everyone else thinks when they see him right?

Sometime around season 3 when they fucked up everyone's plots

There isn't any depth or complexity to GoT anymore. S1-S4 felt so much more fleshed out, the world and characters felt real and alive. It felt like you were watching a documentary about real life history.
There was so much unexpected twists and actions, based on how the well defined characters would actually react to the situations, with the plot points being a result of their actions.

Now its so rushed, uninspired, predicable. Everything is being pushed into a single story line so D&D can get it over with as quick as possible for some fucking reason.

Also Martin is a fat fuck

Season 3 is when it first really veered off the rails

Season 1+2 were relatively sane and most the unnecessary changes, although dumb, were minor.

>so D&D can get it over with as quick as possible for some fucking reason

They are sick of doing the show

You realize they only made the show because of the Red Wedding right? That episode came out 4 years ago

>when bran made it to the raven
fbpbp

this is a pretty accurate summary of the state of things

bros, why the fuck did i think Jeremy Irons was on this show?

i coulda sworn he was the main guy but then found out its actually not him

HBO should of brought on new showrunners to help lead. Why would HBO want to rush the biggest TV show in the world into the ground?

how did you confuse Sean Bean with Jeremy Irons?

>Why would HBO want to rush the biggest TV show in the world into the ground?

They keep getting higher and higher ratings and awards

Why would HBO mess with it? People love the show, no matter how much it has degenerated into shit.

Afetr Oberyn's death, right after that Dumb and Dumber decided to make their own story and not follow the books.

>after that Dumb and Dumber decided to make their own story

they had already been doing that

>Ironborn attacking Dredfort is season 4, get defeated by puppies
>Robb wanting to attack Casterly Rock
>Thenns are edgy cannibals

>>Ironborn attacking Dredfort is season 4, get defeated by puppies
>>Robb wanting to attack Casterly Rock
>>Thenns are edgy cannibals

yet, people will still defend 4th season

Season 3 was when I felt like it stopped being Game of Thrones and became more generic fantasy TV show.

is that Tyres from Spaced?

This.
I remember when season 3 came out that I thought something about it was different, I just couldn't put my finger on it.
S3 was still mostly good tho.

Now that I think about it Tyres might be a Lannister

/thread

>Ironborn attacking Dredfort is season 4, get defeated by puppies
don't forget they literally had to sail down to dorne then back up around to get there

I don't think it had a jump the shark moment, moreso the writing just went to utter shit once S5 began

when they killed my nigga Ned

They only got awards because they got passed up in previous seasons for work that actually deserved the award.

They wont be getting any more

>When did Game of Thrones jump the shark?

Pic fucking related.

Started declining in season three. I'm okay with some deviation from the source material but what D&D have done is a travesty.

Sand Sneks is when it became unwatchable trash for me.

>tfw got into the series just as Season 5 started (watched 1-4 in the december before S5)
>tfw reading the books while S5 is going on and basically getting to see the plot deviations going side by side

I wish I could have got into the series before it turned into KALEESI STRONK

When they decided to fuck the books and go for fanservice giving every character "badass" shit to do for normies to get excited over and do youtube videos about.

So about season 4

>before it turned into KALEESI STRONK
It was always like that.

Dorne

These desu

It wasn't as bad before she started randomly setting people on fire with no evidence to suggest they'd done anything wrong though.

this is actually good though if they'd bother showing it as part of her descent into insanity and tyranny
the shit thing is, is that after all that she's still a loved and apparently flawless ruler with everyone following her having zero qualms with how she acts

>HEEEY! I JUST SHOT A MAN DEAD!

Shut the fuck up!

>Tywin Lannister dies
>Tyrion Lannister leaves King's Landing
>King's Landing has no more political intrigue, only a bunch of ladies trying to fuck each other over while the pope is trying to fuck them all

The overall decline of the show is due to the disruption in the King's Landing plot. Now everyone watches it for the North plot.

exactly, and while the northern plot actually could've been interesting, it just boiled down to
>wtf i love the boltons now
>wtf i love jon snu now

This, Tywin's death is the turning point

I think it's when EVERYONE says no to Jon Snow and essentially lets him go to battle alone.

In the books, several houses are working to undermine the Boltons, but in the show everyone tells him to fuck off and no one is upset by the Red Wedding in the North besides the Starks that are left.

S5, they basically killed every male character off and made it some creepy feminist wish fulfilment, even the villain bad boy Ramsay was obviously tailored towards damaged women with a rape fetish.

this, it's not even good fanfiction either, they're just cutting corners and killing other as many characters as possible to reduce actor salaries.

I've also noticed the production values get worse each season.

Also the turning point in the books.

Season 4

aka when they went overboard with OC

nah that was earlier when gurm killed off his best pov

The second the sand snakes showed up

fpbp

i stopped watching around season 2 because it stopped making sense

this

Somewhere around season 3, but if I'm being generous, when they fucking started filming before the books were written. I guess the other choice was to cancel it, but it's still upsetting considering Season 1 is the most accurate book to film translation I've ever seen.

lost interest around the red wedding

building up to multiple large faction combat and killing them all off instantly, genius

Season One cut out a mountain of stuff. Maybe later seasons made it look more faithful by comparison but even still just losing Riverrun and Ned's flashbacks was a lot.

The absolute mess that was the House of the Undying sealed the deal for me.

TWENTY
W
E
N
T
Y

GOODMEN

What a stupid, hackneyed, shit-show that scene was. The show had some really retarded moments before that one, but god damn it really jumped the shark then.

>that cgi fire
It truly was a horrible sequence

This is the correct one.

While it's true that season 1 was really the only great season (and it really was just episode 3-9 that was truly great) and there was a bunch of really dumb, awful moments in season 2, 3 and 4. After the dissipation of the King's Landing intrigue the only quality draw of the show left (aka, intrigue) was gone, and replaced with retarded awfulness.

It was basically impossible to take season 5 or 6 seriously, it was like I was watching Spartacus and Legend of the Seeker or some other adolescent garbage,

GoT is fucking putrid now, though it interesting it needed to go to shit to get plebs interested in it, season 1 wasn't as amazingly popular as it is now.

After tywin died

This. It literally can't be unproven

Season 1 was mostly ok, so was most of Season 2.

But Dany's S2 arc was a warning of things to come, proving that the writers would fuck up everything they tried to """adapt""" and as the show moved further and further away from the source material D&D started just flinging shit on the screen without thinking it through at all.

I'm assuming HBO thought that they didn't need to spend money on real writers since the books were already written for them and adapting it to screen would be as simple as copying and pasting the book into a script.

>Robb wanting to attack Casterly Rock
FUCK YOU! The only reason I got sad during the Red Wedding was because Robb wouldn't attack Casterly Rock anymore. I never gave a shit about Robb, Catelyn or Chaplin'sgrandaughter! I only wanted to see Tywin's home

>Now everyone watches it for the North plot.
I watch it for the Azor Jorah plot

>killed every male character

Based Jorah, Bronn and Podrick are still alive

Jorah is a cuck, Bronn is also a cuck who has to raise his fat wife's gangrape baby, and Pod is a cuck who has to follow a stronk womyn around and follow her orders

>implying Jorah did not dump his wife and lied to Daenerys to try to bed her
>implying Bronn won't kill the bastard once he is born
>implying Pod isn't fucking Brienne at the side

s6=good

Lol no, kys and stay kissed

S6 Essos = awful
S6 Westeros = acceptable

Yeah Dorne plot is so acceptable, Roose getting killed like that is acceptable... Littlefinger passing with the whole vale Army unnoticed is acceptable... yeah... No.

s02e01

There is no Dorne plot in S6. I agree that Roose should not have died that way and Littlefinger was ex machina bullshit. But still better than S5 plot

Jaime is still alive though

>He forgot "Only women will rule Dorne now"

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

S4 ending/S5 beginning seems to be the consensus and I agree.

They even managed to outdo George when it came to Oberyn somehow, but the only worthwhile episodes since then have been those that Sapochnik directed, and even then their strength comes from the technical level and not the story.

Season 5.

The first 4 seasons strayed farther and farther from the source material with each episode, but its to be expected. Even if they know how the series will ultimately end, I doubt they know EVERY characters arch, so they necessarily had to cut, combine, and add archs, especially given time constraints. It could be jarring, but overall it still felt logical, and there were a few examples when show material felt better then the book material.

When Season 5 came it was obvious they had the choice to either delay and wait for the new book, or come up with their own material. Stupidly, it felt like they did both. Half the arches were slowed down to a standstill (and continued to be thought the 6th season) and the rest contained new shit that was just awful. The writing quality plummeted, so much shit felt illogical, and even minor stuff like one-off comedic lines were shit. Still no book when season 6 started being made so it became entirely show created content and it again sucked

>show became shit the second it veered from the books

really makes you think...

The moment sand snakes appeared; pretty much everything dorne bur Oberyn

I am with a theory that GRRM change his idea about the end and direction of ASOIAF (adding Faegon, Stannis being at battle for Winterfelt, Meereenese knot, Danny arch at book five ending where she begin, etc.) when he decided not to do the five year gab. So DnD decided to come up with their own shit while keeping the main trio (Jon, Kelly C, meme dwarf) in focus of the story while trying to have George intended ending.

20 good men was the exact moment I realized how fucking nonsensical everything had become. Took me a while but goddamn.

I remember the time when Dorne was being hyped up as "like Oberyn, but better/more", makes me sad desu.

It's most definitely something like that. I remember that not long ago he said that he had in mind a plot twist that concerned a character who is no longer present in the show who could turn the whole saga upside down, and that he was considering to actually include it. He's just fucking with everyone, he must be salty his own laziness caught up with him.

You mean "Thousand Eyes and On-Actually Two. Two Eyes."

Two words: Flaming. Pinecones.

Not only that, the emotional context of that whole scene was fucking butchered for no reason by erasing Tyrion's first wife.

>pure ASOS
>pure

Nigga what? Season 4 was when the decisions and cuts made by D&D started to really compound on themselves. The only good parts were where they stuck to the source material.

YWN see the proper version of the Battle of Fire with Barristan breaking the siege while based Victarion attacks from sea with dragons overhead.

I stopped watching when I realized that there was going to be no "Aegon conquering the stormlands" plot and that he was scrubbed from the entire show. (poor fucker)

I hope he realizes the best way to finish the books would be to not finish them at all.

Put out TWOW, keep telling everyone to fuck off until he's dead (as long as that takes), and let Brandon Sanderson write a lukewarm conclusion which would be a conclusion in a technical sense only but still rake in billions, while people indefinitely speculate how he would have ended the story himself. He has to know that people won't be satisfied with whatever he writes even if it was actual word of god.

I feel like season 3 was where a lot of context was lost that ended up hurting the show long-run. For example, the Red Wedding and its aftermath was seriously impeded by the fact that we knew literally nobody from the North aside from Robb and Cat.

The lack of the Brave Companions was such a misstep. Just don't make Vargo Hoat lisp if you think it's dumb. Its not hard.

The way the handled the Brotherhood WB was awful as well, though I liked the casting for Thoros.

Stannis really started to come apart as a character in S3. His ordering the execution of Davos was so out of place.

Exactly