ITT: Movies that are fucking awful but get a lot of praise from people who only started watching movies seriously for...

ITT: Movies that are fucking awful but get a lot of praise from people who only started watching movies seriously for about a year.

You don't shit on movies because you did not understand the plot, user.

How could anyone not understand Brick?

I don't see you bringing up any reasons for disliking the film.

So that's that.

>started watching movies seriously
I'm gonna puke

>Eye-catching gimmick wears off in about 5 minutes
>Every character is a forgettable cliche
>Shots straight up ripped off in some cases (the tunnel scenes aping Memories of Murder being at the top)
>Characters behave in a contrived manner to advanced the plot
>Brendan is so miscast the scenes where he's supposed to be "badass" wind up being hilarious.
And so on. Total shitpile.

I had some troubles with the lingo but the movie was 9/10 awesome. It's been ages since i've been so pleasantly surprised by a movie

You are a pleb, OP

looks like script kino

Children detected.

>for about a year
>2005 movie

Postmodern films kind of begin with this precession of the model, in this case detective fiction, right? The director uses the lingo to illustrate a hemorrhage of values. Even the names are interesting, why 'Brandon'? Is Brandon a Prussian character? Is The Eagle an Austro-Hungarian-American Nazi? It floats in strange directions, creating an America that is clearly tethered to Europe in strange and contradictory ways.

I don't even remember how they solved the crime, but I still remember and care about the *way* they solved the crime. Its obviously indebted to Citizen Kane and 'Rosebud', but in making use of that macguffin no one has better explored the ironies of post-war archetypes. The performances are wonderfully understated.

>Is Brandon a Prussian character? Is The Eagle an Austro-Hungarian-American Nazi? It floats in strange directions, creating an America that is clearly tethered to Europe in strange and contradictory ways.
What are you talking about and why did you delete your first post, which was fairly cogent, and include this crap?

disney took note of such symbolism and hired him for star wars 8/9, which will be thematically similar

top qt though

Mad as fuck star wars fan detected.

It's a great movie.

Brick is a piece of shit film.

I can't think of anything as bad as far as entry-level pleb accessibility + pure shittiness. Maybe Tree of Life.

Kill yourself tasteless faggot. Reddit is more your speed, stay there

Tree of Life never would've happened if Malick saw Adaptation first

It's supposed to be somewhat humorous and is not meant to be taken 100% serious you retard.

What the fuck was wrong with Brick? It was quite clearly aware of itself as being fucking cheesy while choosing to play up the ham and make a serious detective crime noir film on a high school playground.

The movie was ludicrous, but still well done. You'd have to be a soulless retard not to see that this movie was just taking the piss and having a good time with it.

>using sister ray during the credits instead of femme fatale
rian johnson is a hack