Godzilla

Why haven't you watched Shin Gojira now that a proper rip has been released?

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=912173
vimeo.com/64987176
pastebin.com/2TzfvtTv
mega.nz/#!pBZCxAAB!0rfcoBUX7l-pQDw5YpPqZVgM3_NdnSrnEmDqQQWujOM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

where

I don't watch pseudo-capeshit

>garbage godzilla design
>shit cgi beam thats nearly as bad as 14s
>cardboard buildings

Nyaa

Please, have at least the decency to compare it to a shitty catastrophe movie.

This film landed in my top three films of the past 5 years.

I really dont give a shit,its the same thing every time with the same scenes.

>the same scenes.

sure bud whatever you say

Did you expect depth from a movie that's a giant monster destroying a city?

Your standards must be extremely low.

>s-shut up, gaijin

Bitching against another person's favorite things will never make you look smart.

>That entire scene of the flame breath gradually focusing into the purple beam and absolutely fucking everything in the vicinity

>it's already been incorporated into two videogames
wew

This is a nationalistic propaganda flick.

boring trash

I already watched it 4 times in the theater and bought the Blu-ray tho

So, how often is godzilla actually on screen?

Quite a lot early on, then there's a pretty big lull from about halfway in where he isn't. I get the feeling they decided less Godzilla with more destruction was better than lots of boring Godzilla.

I want lots of godzilla with lots of destruction
Have movie excecs ever thought of that?

Shin had a pretty tiny budget compared to the US film, which had no excuse. I'm sure they'd have liked more if it was possible.

The movie instantly starts with godzilla threatening the city without any character buildup

Well if that's what you want, you'll be happy to hear that he obliterates an entire district of Tokyo and cuts sky scrapers in half while decimating a US bomber squadron sent to kill it, only after crushing the best assault the Japanese military could muster against it.

i liked shin godzilla.
cant wait for the sequel and the implications of the ending scene.

>NOT CAPTIONED REEEEEEEEEEE

WASTED THREAD

Yeah what's up with thehumanoid monsters? They're not gonna put in a forced human main character who has to deal with lesser sized threats right?/spoiler]

LOL IKR

several theories
godzilla infects humans somehow to make more monsters
or thats just how it reproduces by growning more of itself on its tail
either way its gonna be fun to see it play out.

It was Gojira evolving into the form that defeated him, a bunch of small creatures working together

>download 10g FGT rip
>the audio is fucked up so the dialogue is almost muted compared to the special effects and music
>no subtitles
>go two thirds of the movie like this
>suddenly a pop noise and the dialogue kicks in
>had the music and sfx up loud so suddenly deafened by japtalk
>godzilla gets defeated by dentistry performed by construction vehicles
>his tail is birthing the ghouls from DOOM

7/10 Godzilla 2014 was better

Not him, but I'm still not entirely convinced that the tail stuff that does not exist yet when Godzilla is frozen and even when the rebuilding begins is "canon". I interpreted it the same way as the quick cut they had of Hiroshima aftermath while they had the meeting about the American's nuke proposal. Something that is meant to showcase the horror Godzilla represents, rather than something that is actually happening.

i liked malcom in the godzilla too but it would have been better if the monster action started way earlier on.

I did, but now I'm trying to figure out what the political meaning of this movie was, since I know jack shit about Japan.

IMMA DID IT

Japan wanting control over their country and now being US bitch

Why are xenomorphs in his tail

XD NICE MEME BRAH

THIIIIIICK

>not naming when you go ham on the crabby patties

Fuck off retards.

>720p
>decent

What?

AWYISSS

STAY MAD MEMLET

It's just a reference. Anno loves self-referencing his earlier works.

>I know jack shit about Japan.
Here's a crash course.

>Many centuries Japan is ruled by Daimyos (like petty kings from pre 10th century Britain) who all serve the Emperor, who is effectively held hostage by the most powerful Daimyo, known as Shogun
>Portuguese show up. Start some shit. Spread Christianity, force their way into Japan with varying degrees of acceptance from the Daimyos
>One Daimyo decides these fucking Europeans are just going to passively invade Japan and destroy their way of life, so he dethrones the Shogun, becomes the new one and bans European traders
>Fast forward few centuries of relative peace and prosperity
>Couple of wars with Korea/China
>Some jackass shows up with modern American ships in the middle of the 19th Century
>Bombs the fuck out of fishing villages until Shogunate allows American/European trade again
>Humiliated Shogunate is overthrown once again by European supplied rebels, instating the Emperor into the position of the Shogun, causing the entire military, legal and economic system to collapse in on itself almost as bad as what happened after the French Revolution
>Fears of previous mentioned Daimyo begin to come true
>Japan is pissed at America for its hand in all this
>Throws few bombs on a military outpost in something all would consider a Dick Move during World War II
>Bunch of battles in WWII
>Get two nukes on civilian population centers with threat of more
>Surrender
>Have country occupied for decades
>Have Emperor disgraced in about the same manner as if someone forced the Pope to declare that God does not exist
>Have Baka Gaijins steal footage from Super Sentai to make their shitty Power Rangers show
>Be even more pissed at America
TL;DR: Japan is perpetually pissed at America.

In case it's not obvious enough.

>implying it was Americans that dropped the bombs

Reminder:
>nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=912173
>nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=912173

Because it's still downloading

How badly is the sub messed up?

You're a real piece of shit, still circling that doctored image.
America disgraced itself when it allowed Chicken and Cow to fool them with it, and disgraced themselves doubly when they passed it onto Nippon as fact! What is worse, is that there is no more American animal than Chicken and Cow. Some say Eagle is more American, but how many of those do you see lazing about, getting fat and being attached to machines designed to extract their white fluids?

Only a bit late for 2 unimportant lines and missing once when some woman is speaking German but you can still get what she says from the context. I noticed a few typoes and grammar errors near the end as well. Still totally watchable and doesn't ruin the movie in my opinion.

Alright, thanks man. Gonna end up getting comfy and watching this later then.

Guy who did the compression and edited the subs here. I'm bummed to hear that there were typos and grammatical errors that I missed. It wasn't too bad, was it?

Godzilla's design is fucking awesome. Also, it's Japan, their movie budget isn't as high. Do you not play indie games because of the graphics?

Godzilla has and always will be a metaphor for the atomic bomb, which has only ever been used on Japan. So, yes, it's a very personal character to the Japanese, and the movies he is in always have deeper meanings because of what he represents.

>It wasn't too bad, was it?
Not really but I watched a lot of bad subs over the year so my brain is kind of wired to ignore them most of the time.

Here's one I just found now and I think there's a "the" that should have been a "them" somewhere else as well.

is there a copy that isn't 15gb and has subs

In this case it's a metaphor for poor nuclear security instead of the bomb, though.

I had to reverse image search that, I thought it was an Evangelion fan-film or something. Anywhere I can watch this?

Son a bitch. Alright, I'll release version 2 of the subs on the torrent page. Can you show me where the timings are off for certain lines please?

I don't really have time to go through the whole movie now, it was in the first third of the movie IIRC.

vimeo.com/64987176
Doesn't have any subs but you don't really need any. Here's a transcript though pastebin.com/2TzfvtTv
It was originally on the Rebuild 3 BD but I think it's cut out from most subbed releases.

they did nothing wrong

You wouldn't know a good movie even if Stanley Kubrick rubbed a script against your face with his cock.

I didn't like A Clockwork Orange.

What the fuck
Where's the sub 1 gb version

>vimeo.com/64987176
Thanks man, that was cool, I love the effects. The laser beam did look exactly like Shin Godzilla's, too.

>sub 1gb version
Are you the 750mb shill from yesterday?

No, I'm the new one.

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

I was awestruck by the photon beam scene. Jaw literally hit the floor.

It looks like shit

>Godzilla 2014 was better

>American woman.

These are a million times better than whatever shit subs the rip came with

Why's it coming here again?

I'm actually working on fixing some lines, grammatical mistakes that I missed, and translating/re-translating a couple of things. I'll put the subs up on the nyaa torrent page when I'm done here.

>Godzilla 2014 was better
Objectively false. That weak imitation of a Spielberg film has nothing on Shin Godzilla. A couple of neat scenes doesn't redeem a character drama with no characters, bland music, and ill-advised teasing.

NIGGA PLS, NOT A SINGLE THING FROM GODZILLA 2014 EVEN TRIED TO RESEMBLE SPIELBERG

BUT GODZILLA SHITTING DOWN MUTO THROAT WAS BREDDY GUD

LONG AS YOU BOOST THE GAMMA TO HALF SEE WTF WAS GOING ON, DIMMEST MOVIE EVER MADE

He's right. Why?

>dat DSL
My case of yellow fever was already bad enough, and then there's this.

Can a modern giant monster movie frighten? Can films of the genre generate enough dread and suspense that they dip into outright horror? Yes. Can one starring Godzilla do so? Theoretically, perhaps, but that’s a much trickier feat. Godzilla, for all his (or her, depending on the version) destructive tendencies, callous disregard for human life, and frightful features, is a cultural icon and has been for many decades. Even people who have never seen a Godzilla movie before know his name and grasp the basic concept of the character: he’s a giant lizard that smashes cities, other giant monsters, and occasionally robots and aliens. He’s liked in a way unique from other famous bestial mainstays like the Xenomorphs from Alien or King Kong. Neither abominable nor pitiable, Godzilla was a remorseless aggressor the public couldn’t help but adore that Toho films kept in people’s favor by giving him a rich supporting cast of kaiju allies, rivals, and arch enemies as well a slew of sequels and spin-offs as the generations rolled by. A laudable accomplishment in franchise marketing, if one that has gradually diluted the original spirit of the character.

Godzilla was meant to be kin to the atomic bomb or to be precise, the Japanese people’s attitude and experiences with the atomic bomb; a walking, hostile Hiroshima crisis. Not aimed at the Allied Forces, no, the movie wasn’t a revenge flick. Godzilla was a rematch, a way for the Japanese to find closure against the irradiating blast wave that took the fight out of them during the final days of World War 2, a new Orochi that could be conquered through science, cunning, and sometimes even spirituality. Nowadays, the average moviegoer is more likely to cheer for Godzilla when he smashes cities and demand screentime be taken away from the hapless human protagonists who are trying to stop him so they can see Godzilla level even more structures and enemies.

He is the star, the protagonist, a special effects triumph. He’s a monster, but not a villain, and certainly not an abomination. The haunting imagery of his rampages’ gristly aftermaths that his first two movies were rife with were phased out in favor of bigger foes, flashier fights, and odder quests. What else could be done? People went to movies bearing his name to see him in action, to project themselves onto this simple and proud creature that stomped flat and knocked over the places they lived in. Even the recent offering of Legendary Pictures in 2014, one that implied a return to the grittier and more horrific aspects of the franchise and character, could not escape the shadow of camp as Godzilla was designated the role of an anti-hero who let American battleships sail alongside it and peacefully slunk back into the ocean after defeating the far more sinister and less interesting kaiju that were threatening the planet.

Directors Hideaki Anno (best known for his projects in Japanese animation that range from tender comedies to gripping dramas) and Shinji Higuchi (who is no stranger to direr incarnations of giant monster movies as his Gamera trilogy will attest) announced last year that they were in the process of creating their own take on a Godzilla reboot based on a screenplay Anno himself had written with Higuchi handling the special effects. They claimed that the tone of the production would evoke the disbelief and unease generated from recent real world disasters: floods, terrorist attacks, monsoons, and chief among them, the March 2011 Tohoku Tsunami and Earthquake that led to the nuclear plant disaster at Fukushima, the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl in 1986. Quite a lofty solicitation, but one they’ve largely fulfilled due in no small part to how they’ve reinterpreted the King of Monsters, transforming him from comfortably familiar to sickeningly bizarre.

The Godzilla of Resurgence is not an action figure, he is not a misunderstood animal, and he is not here to fight back a more wicked titan that will make him look like the lesser of two evils. This Godzilla is a mountain of immolated reptilian leather, a towering onyx mass of muscle and bone whose size both awes and disgusts. His face does not so much resemble a dinosaur’s as it does parody it with eyes that are far too small and a Glasgow komodo grin that runs way too long, and opens wider and weirder than you’d be comfortable with; it’s not a shock value mug whose menace deteriorates with each showing, but a subtle chunk of grotesqueness that looks more and more wrong with further exposure because of how uncanny it is, and that’s not even as hideous as he gets. Godzilla is an unnerving presence that looks like it lives in ceaseless molten agony and it’s in Japan to take out all that pain and rage on something substantial.

Japan, for its part, is not represented by a single civilian or soldier or whatever else. The cast is a rather broad ensemble, perfunctory in personality and backstory. Rather, there is a focal point in Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Rando Yaguchi (Hiroki Hasegawa), a paradoxically hopeful and cynical individual whose specific and oddly vague place in the national government brings him and the audience attached to him through the entire spectrum of the Godzilla attack experience. From the offices of the prime minister where the arguments of the various oversight committees and compartmentalized departments swell into a rapid schizophrenic cacophony to the streets locked in an indecisive purgatory of being teeming with and empty of innocents, Yaguchi is the anchor keeping the narrative centered on the human struggle to find an intelligent solution. He acts as a stalwart yet gradually frayed alternative to the other constant, the King of Monsters himself who would fill the screens and minds of the cinema with the hopeless inevitability of ash and rubble. Japan is represented by its citizenry, its waters, its technology, its culture, and its countryside. Godzilla is a malignancy poised to corrupt and subsume that societal entirety.

is this autism?

didn't read lol

To preemptively address a concern that comes to mind whenever a movie of this nature is on the horizon, Godzilla is not in Resurgence for a large portion of it, only appearing in the diseased flesh for about 30 of the film’s 120 minutes. His scenes hold real weight and presence, but don’t take up as large a percentage of the runtime as some might hope. However, those other 80 minutes are without fat or filler. Godzilla shows up almost immediately and everything else is devoted to studying, combatting, and generally reacting to his emergence. What could have been instances of boring bureaucratic hand-wringing is chopped and slammed together to form theatres of claustrophobic indecision where the lives of the people and the allure of pragmatism press hard on both plates of the scale; where one feels shoved, tripped, and trampled upon by the red tape tug-of-war.

The silent ghost town streets are not assurances that no one is in any danger because they are soon juxtaposed by footage of traffic jams and desperate families fleeing for their lives as Godzilla looms in the distance, forever too close no matter how far he is. Godzilla is the typhoon on the horizon that overtakes, the floating ash clouds that abruptly descend like mortars, and the wave that has pounced from the coast to your front door between breaths. He is the Fukushima nuclear disaster and the critique of how incompetently it was handled by those in charge because while the components for the solution were present, the lack of precedent took everyone off guard. As it was in the original feature, Godzilla can only be fled from or vainly plotted against for most of it, because he’s always there. Even when he isn’t. Especially when he isn’t.

Regrettably, there are a few flaws that hold back the production. To maintain that aforementioned pace, the film is nearly devoid of establishing shots and character introductions; text flashes across the screen to let the audience know exactly where the narrative is at the time and what new character is currently featuring in it, but the quick shifts in location and perspective see such text blink into and out of existence so often that they go from informative to distracting. While the monster is an admirable amalgamation of motion capture, CG, and suitwork, there’s a period in the first act where it goes through a metamorphosis that could have used a bit more polish. Famed Japanese composer, Shiro Sagisu is on music, but a number of tracks used are recycled from his earlier projects which are by no means obscure and aren’t old enough to get a pass for being ‘classical.’ And while the exquisite editing helps stock up the budget for the moments of bonafide Godzilla-related devastation, the climax is rather tame. The script tries to compensate by giving a thematic reason for the reduced collateral damage, but all the firepower being thrown around (manmade and otherwise) implies that the landscape should have been significantly more wrecked by that last skirmish. Still, the goodwill towards the finish and the totality of Resurgence is irrevocably enhanced by one last tilt shot, a smooth and silent display which lies in eerie contrast to the frenetic and loud camerawork of before, a visual passage that throws one last loathsome curveball at the viewer that’ll have them questioning the very concept of the struggle they witnessed and the nature of the monster itself.

Is this review online?

Great first half of the movie, then Godzilla blew his load

Though the second half was till much better than watching some guy trying to find his family

>I've made a huge mistake.

Updated and completely fixed 1080p subs unless I missed something.

mega.nz/#!pBZCxAAB!0rfcoBUX7l-pQDw5YpPqZVgM3_NdnSrnEmDqQQWujOM

These two are responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent Japanese including the PM and many top officials as well as billions on property damage.

Let's remember them fondly.

What the fuck man

Alright so I'm downloading the 720p version from nyaa. According to the thread it is subbed. I just wanted to check and make sure, are these subs hardcoded or can I use the newer, more accurate subs?

If you're talking about the subs here I still need to optimize it for a 720p resolution before I put it up on the nyaa page. It shouldn't take too long.