Explain how she's a Mary Sue

Explain how she's a Mary Sue.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can't

mastered the force and sword fighting in about 20 minutes. beating an insanely powerful force user (dude literally fucking stopped a laser shot mid-air and just let it linger there).

it took Luke the entire trilogy to get there AND he was beaten to almost death in his first big fight.

fuck rey and her bullshit arc

>lived on a desert planet by herself since she was like 8

>didn't get raped every day by the aliens living on the planet

>didn't get forced into slavery

Bullshit character

Better pilot than Han Solo

Better mechanic than Chewbacca

Better swordsman than Kylo Ren

Knows and posses Jedi powers she hasn't learned or been taught.

Greater Jedi than Luke Skywalker. Why even bother training her? What's to learn?

Only 19. Alone on a desert planet since the age of 4.

Absolutely miserable cunt to everyone in the film, even the cute little droid

She's Snoke.

She fought and won against a dude who has dedicated his life to the modes that they used to fight each other.

Master lightsaber welder by the end of the movie.

Mastered flying the Falcon.

Knows more about the Falcon than Han.

Knows to press some random button when Finn is being carried away by that shitty cgi monster.

Can use the Jedi Mind Trick after wanting to have nothing to do with the force.

Never used a blaster before, can snipe after two shots.

That would actually be a good plot twist and redeem the sequels.

Why does concept art always look better than the actual movie?

Do you know she doesn't smile once in the whole movie?

Fridge freezer

Where's the inevitable Rey BLACKED poster?

She smiles when she bypasses the compressor or whatever.

Mary Rey-Su

>Rey can speak obscure BB-8 Droid
>Rey can instantly master pilot a Corellian Freighter as soon as she steps on board
>Rey is a skilled dog fight pilot, several magnitudes better than the highly trained First Order pilots
>Rey instantly knows the entire technical breakdown of a rare and ancient Corellian Freighter including how to instantly diagnose and fix any issues onboard, instantly fixes it before Han Solo is even aware of the problem
>Rey knows exactly how to open and seal shut doors across a gigantic cargo freighter she has never ever seen before
>Rey is a master marksman and is able to hipfire her new pistol she's owned for less than 9 minutes dropping Stormtroopers left and right barely even glancing in their direction
>Rey is able to withstand and ignore a Sith Mind probe from an experienced Sith Force user
>Rey is able to instantly use a Sith Mind probe on an experienced force user discovering his most primal fear in a few scant seconds
>Rey, despite never witnessing a Jedi Mind Trick, knowing they exist or knowing what a Mind Trick actually is, instantly masters this skill and uses it to escape
>Rey is able to graceful clamber across a wall across seemingly bottomless pit inside the Starkiller base, know exactly where and how to open secret hatches that will allow her to escape
>Rey is able to instantly figure out how to "hack" the Starkiller base and know exactly how to open every locked door across the entire planet
>Rey is able to instantly master Force Pull over an experienced Sith Force user who is currently fueled by pain and anger
>Rey instantly masters the lightsaber and is easily able to overpower, wound and defeat an experienced Sith Force user

Her mouth looks like a piranha.

She only smiles at black men. U mad whiteboi?

Because concept art is created by talented and amazing artists.

the actual movie is yawnfest cgi with gurning actors directed by a shit director.

Here you go shit face!!

I read that and still don't understand what a Mary Sue is...

plz make is dumber

You forgot to add

Better with a blaster than trained soldiers the first time she's ever used one

Aside from everything already listed, at the very end of the movie Rey, Leia, and Chewy are all standing around the rebel base looking sad because Han died.

So instead of Leia (Han's waifu) hugging Chewy (Han's beat bro) she hugs this brand new rebel member who just came back from her first mission, completely ignoring Chewy, who just stands there awkwardly.

That is abysmal levels Mary Sueness, going out of their way to write a scene where an established character shows how she totally loves the Mary Sue even more than the best friend of her dead husband. Chewy and Leia go back decades while Rey and Leia go back like 2 or 3 days, if that.

I don't even care much about Fag Wars but backseating a popular established character just to show the audience how much your Mary Sue character is loved by the established characters is just obnoxious writing.

Wow, "top definition" that doesn't actually define much.

Thata not a fridge.. that's a fucking washing machine with the dryer on top

20 PORTION

>scavenger living on a junk yard planet filled with all kinds of visitors learns a droid language
>scavenger who's been in multiple junked ships while taking things apart and learning what they do can master an old ship and know how it works along with other technologies such as doors
>shooting a blaster isn't exactly rocket science
>she's strong with the force
>she's sees how kylo ren tries to make her do something she doesn't want to so tries the same thing on weak ass stormtrooper
>sees what's his face trying to force pull the light saber so she tries it and pulls it away even if he started its trajectory
>it's established from the beginning that she knows how to fight and can fend for herself alone on a planet filled with unsavory characters

Leia probably fucked Chewy.

>Shooting a blaster isn't rocket science

I would LOVE to see your groups at the range.

>filled with all kinds of visitors
nope

Didn't JJ even admit they he really fucked that scene up?

Like, damn, nobody else knew why that shit made me so mad but it did.

Sup Forums, stop trying to make "Rey is a mary sue" happen. It's not going to happen.

he did, he said they overlooked it or something

which is annoying because he's basically admitting he phoned it in. if he put any thought or time into the scene then this would have come up

>Leia hugged Rey first becomes the new Han shot first

Michael Arndt. the main meme screenwriter for force awakens is a bitch ass noob and here is my reason for saying this:
his works:
# lil miss sunshine (2006) -- movie about lil girl on a comedic, dramatic road trip (force awakens seed)
# Toy story 3 (2010) -- worst of the franchise, bitch ass writing
# Oblivion (2013) -- haven't seen it, but heard mediocre reviews
# A Walk in the Woods (2015) -- flop roadtrip direct to dvd meme
# Force awakens -- taking his previous shit into consideration you can see what's going on, his co-writers were 1. JJArbaham (meme jew who shouldn't write) 2. Lawrence Kasdan (writer of the empire strikes back, he should have wrote the whole movie and been the main writer, I wonder what his parts were in TFA)

She's a strong independent woman for the sake of being a strong independent woman. The film suffers as a result.

Jew Jew Abrams took a look at iconic movies with strong independent women and figured that was a good thing just because they were strong independent women. It's not, those roles were memorable because they were like that for a purpose and the idea is to show that women can be like that too and that you shouldn't prejudge.

He's being just as sexist. It's a child's interpretation of character development.

If you're looking for actual examples:
>She's a homeless, desolate outcast that's 10+ years with no companionship siphoning enough scrap parts to be able to eat at the end of the day and she acts like a bouncy upbeat Disney princess

>She "bypasses the compressor", AKA shows a greater understanding of the Millennium Falcon and how it works after being on it for 30 minutes and having never flown a ship than Han Solo who lived and breathed the place his entire life

>She masters the force and uses it to escape imprisonment immediately after learning what it is and wins a lightsaber duel with Kylo Ren (the equivalent of Darth Vader) having never used one before

She's a stronk womyn character that's a stronk womyn character for the sake of it.

And this is coming from someone with an entry-level knowledge of Star Wars and what it represents to people. It's just depressingly bad writing that ruins the experience.

rey is obviously related to luke and leia in some way

maybe she found out who rey was and that she was abandoned?

I'm willing to put aside the fact that she has the skills to overcome literally every challenge she comes across with no explanation.

She's a Mary Sue because she's written like a character in a bad fan fiction. She has a generic "Troubled past" but is reasonably well adjusted and charismatic. Her only real character flaw is that she has a bit of a temper, which no other character ever addresses. The first man she meets in the context of the story immediately falls in love with her.

Despite her humble beginnings she is thrust into a story where she comes across the main characters of the original story. Not only do they let her tag along, but they end up becoming emotionally attached to her for reasons that are never adequately explained. By the end of her story, which involves no particularly great challenge or emotional trial, she ends up owning iconic props from the original series, namely Luke's lightsaber, the Millennium Falcon, and R2-D2.

Compare and Contrast with Fin and Kylo, who actually had story arcs. Fin overcame his fear to try and save the first person he ever befriended, growing from a coward to a selfless hero. Kylo struggled with the split legacies of his family. He choose the path of evil, thinking that it was what he was supposed to do, but found that it didn't bring him peace.

>But Rey did undergo character development
Yeah, she touched a lightsaber, got hammered with a bunch of visions and decided to never use the force again. Then, the second she faced any adversity she effortlessly used the force to solve the problem.

>But it will probably be explained why Han cared about her in the sequel?
Maybe. That doesn't change the fact that she's a shitty character IN THIS MOVIE. Even if she ends up growing into a decent character over the rest of the series, it doesn't change the fact that she's the narrative equivalent of a dumpster fire in The Force Awakes.

Adding onto this:

Star Wars never resonated with people because it was biggerer and betterer than all the other action movies, it was iconic and redeeming because of the characters and the storytelling that unfolded because of it.

When two people had a lightsaber duel it was actually interesting because of the characters and what they represented, not "epic action" where people pulled off ridiculous stunts.

I'm not a nostalgia-blind neckbeard (I wasn't even born when the original movies came out) and I know the original movies are cheesy, but it really just spits in the face of storytelling and what gave Star Wars such appeal and longevity.

are you retarded? daisy ridley who plays rey cant STOP smiling in the force awakens... however the chick who played jyn erso whatever her name is, is the one who doesnt smile. its fucking weird, she never shows her teeth in an actual genuine smile, ever.

this shit feels like a Angelica episode of Rugrats. It's like it's her birthday every day and your jew parents insist on you playing with her and being nice while she's a retard that only goes

>i have all the powers, i am badass princess Frodo, I deserve the ring because girls must not be questioned and must be empowered and no one else can do anything

and Tommy's like "this retard knows we're playing lego dinosaurs wtf"

If only.

>beats up four guys by herself
I don't see what's wrong with that.

>Instantly skilled at using a lightsaber and wins a fight against Kylo
He's injured and it's shown that she is skilled in combot when she uses her staff on Jakuu. Who has Kylo Ren fought in combat? He uses scare tactics to beat his enemies as we see at the beginning of the movie. He's all bark, no bite. And got fucked up until legroundsplitsandseperatesthefighters.tif cliche happened.

The rest is alright criticism.

Mary Sue or not, she's just a boring character. To be fair, so was Luke. Which is why everyone's favorite character from the original trilogy is either Han Solo or Darth Vader. I don't think there's anyone who will say Luke is their favorite.

Scrapping ships makes you a good pilot now, apparently.

Go out and pick a fight with four guys, let use know how well it goes.

>yeah, but she has the force
That's the point. Luke also has the force, it doesn't stop him getting merc'd by a tusken raider. Luke has to grow into being a badass, likable protagonist instead of a whiney farmboy. Rey starts the her first film more talented than Luke at the end of his second film.

is this really worth avoiding this film? is it that bad?

You forgot about the bit where she stumbles across the Millennium Falcon and despite being a trash recycler manages to control it better than trained empire pilots immediately after stepping into the cockpit.

If she's not a Mary Sue, she's the most powerful Jedi that ever lived. There's almost no point in training her, what could Luke possibly teach her? She is probably superior already.

He's kinda boring in IV because he's an ordinary guy in an extraordinary universe.

He's more interesting in the later films

>shooting a blaster isn't exactly rocket science

Says every retard who never held a gun.

americans are so pathetic

I liked all of the Star Wars films, or was interested enough to rewatch (forgot about episode II and III) in 10 years I may rewatch TFA but I have no desire to, and didn't want to see or hear about it again when I left the theater.

snoke a cute.
a cute!

Sure he's boring, but Luke has an arc.

What will Mary Sue's arc be? That she became more best at everything?

>>scavenger who's been in multiple junked ships while taking things apart and learning what they do can master an old ship and know how it works

Are you retarded? Do you think traveling businessman all know how to pilot since they spend a lot of time in planes?

Wow, fuck off back to Sup Forums, misogynist scum.

Luke is pretty basic, but he's a perfect complement to the story and setting. He's an ideal audience surrogate that is fun to see develop; his naivete gives context and meaning to the skepticism of Han and the imperial officer and the general spiritual tone of the story.

Rey doesn't have that going for her because her ties to the rest of the story in a plot sense are so flimsy and her significance in a thematic sense is so casual and self-aware to the point of being obnoxious.

Honestly this movie is only worth seeing if you're a Star Wars fan. Its not that great though, I only saw it once and never had the desire to see it again.

She'll merge with the force and that moment on The Force will be called The Rey.

If you have any valid criticism of ray. You are a women hating neckbeard. Its 2017 for crying out loud.

It already has. Keep up, ma'am.

>Rey doesn't have that going for her
she did until she's inserted into the main plot

she was sympathetic enough when scavenging and eating by herself and friending the droid. It felt like something out of Myazaki. But it goes bad really quick in one scene

>beats dudes
>guy falls in love with her
>millenium falcon just happens to be there
>she just happens to fly it better than anyone ever

Being force sensitive makes you an immediate master of mind tricks, and telekinesis without any previous training.
Being good with a bo staff makes you skilled at using a lightsaber, and firing laser weaponry
Knowing what to salvage from derelict ships, and occasionally wearing a rebel helmet makes you a skilled pilot able to outmaneuver First Order pilots who have been trained from birth.

See? They explained how Rey is good at this stuff already so stop complaining you fat, sweaty NERDS.

>since they spend a lot of time in planes?
Do they disassemble them too?

And all this skips that she's probably had force training already at a young age before being dumped on the planet.

It would actually be a pretty cool plot twist if she became a sith like Anakin and Kylo Ren switched to the rebel side after some disagreements with Snoke and giving into the guilt of Killing Han. Flipping the roles halfway through the story.

No faults as a character. Designed to undermine the confidence of young people.

Is that relevant?

Best case scenario she somehow attains knowledge of what the controls do. That doesn't give her knowledge on how to actually use them to pilot.

I know functionally how an airplane operates, I've seen the inside of a cockpit probably thousands of times, and I'm generally aware of what the controls do. I can by no means pilot an airplane, especially not at the level of a veteran pilot.

You're basically saying that the pit crew at NASCAR should be able to win a race because they change the tires alot. Taking apart and repairing vehicles has nothing to do with being able to pilot them.

This is never mentioned in the movie. It's barely even hinted at. Even if it is, it doesn't change the fact that she's a shit character in the movie itself.

if kylo was deep undercover sent from Luke it'd be awesome. Like Luke being infiltrated on the EU

I think that would be an interesting kind of story to tell for Star Wars, but with one movie in the trilogy already used up I don't think there would be enough time or room left to flesh out that kind of reversal in a satisfying or coherent way (not that Disney would ever entertain that kind of story given merchandising). I do think Kylo will see some kind of redemption, though.

It's fiction. A lot of stuff can be explained, and you're right that the movie does offer (somewhat half-assed) explanations for a lot of it. That doesn't really exonerate anything, though. It doesn't address the real problems with her character.

Ma-Reu-Su has too many strengths. She can do anything the other characters can do just as well or better. Making things redundant. Everyone she comes across either takes an immediate interest in her or liking to her. She has no real flaws. Even her "mistakes" work out in her favor. How is that not ridiculous? And that comes at the cost of dramatic stakes of the film and the competency of the supporting cast. And worst of all, she's boring and has a off putting disposition.

Nothing in the two films will fully justify the terribly written and acted character she was in TFA.

It's very stale, boring and unimaginative. If you're a nostalgia fag you might have "fun" with it since the entire movie is just callbacks. If not then it will just be a time waster.

Not even, she was just ripping shit apart to sell.

Kylo is the only good new character. Those who complain about him not being badass enough missed the point. Vader is gone, get over it.

>why is this even still a valid issue

She didn't get her force powers out of nowhere. She got them from Kylo during the interrogation when he was looking through her mind and then she tests them out on the Stormtrooper guarding the cell after Kylo leaves.
We don't learn enough about her character because it's only the first of the sequel trilogies and they need to elaborate more on the plot. We are probably going to learn more about her in episode 8. And HOPEFULLY her mistakes are probably going to become more apparent.

My issues with him was the man portraying him, his inconsistent abilities, and how ineffectual he looked next to Rey. Plus he made some decisions that would make classic Bond villains blush. And he was too much like Vader. I wanted an interesting original villain, not poorly executed meta commentary.

> She didn't get her force powers out of nowhere. She got them from Kylo during the interrogation when he was looking through her mind and then she tests them out on the Stormtrooper guarding the cell after Kylo leaves.
Prequel tier writing.

> We don't learn enough about her character because it's only the first of the sequel trilogies and they need to elaborate more on the plot. We are probably going to learn more about her in episode 8. And HOPEFULLY her mistakes are probably going to become more apparent.

That won't retroactively fix TFA. The ship has already sailed.

Rey or Freya?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja

>Finn, Han, Chewy, Ren, and Leia all are enamored with her immediately soon after meeting her to the point of breaking character, like with Leia at the end
>She's literally good everything, outclassing trained soldiers and veterans, even if it's her first time: knowing multiple languages, repairing anything, piloting anything, fighting with staff, fighting with lightsaber, shooting, using the force

He is an interesting original villain and the only similarities to Vader were the ones he forced. The fact that he's powerful but ineffective at the moment makes him and his arc intriguing. Adam Driver was the perfect choice for the character. He's the right mix of large and yet goofy and somewhat vulnerable looking when you actually see the face, which was the intention.

Try seven tall glasses of beer before seeing this film. You might laugh but you won't enjoy it.

just remember that rey was getting absolutely destroyed in her duel with kylo ren up until she closed her eyes and used ~the force~ to then completely outclass him

I wish they picked a prettier girl

She's already too pretty and pristine for growing up in shit.

>Adam Driver was the perfect choice for the character. He's the right mix of large and yet goofy and somewhat vulnerable looking when you actually see the face, which was the intention.
He's a better actor than the role required.

her FAS face makes me cringe

Star Wars always had a couple of those. But Kylo is meant to have layers so he was a good choice.

what connection are you making here exactly?

In other words, she's a cat.

>pic related

>Toy Story 3
>worst of the franchise
Go fuck yourself.

>Nothing in the two films will fully justify the terribly written and acted character she was in TFA.
If Rey dies or proves to be Shmi, that would justify it. Nothing else would.

m8 fuck off it was a mediocre movie
also HTTYD was better

desu it's probably how she managed to survive

>tfw the fandom calls you a punk bitch